Norwegian Free at Sea - How free is it?

All you can do is compare apples to apples in all aspects with other lines and figure out which is the better value at the bottom dollar .... The words sale and free are terms not to be taken seriously in the cruise industry. You might get a price drop from a very overpriced cruise to just an overpriced cruise at best , 😆.  

• Like 1

Also a reminder that this is different based on where you're from. In the UK, we get the free at sea perks but pay a one off fee of £99 and that covers all of the perks and gratuities, making it an absolutely cracking deal!

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

TANSTAAFL.  "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch". - Lazarus Long.

Most wouldn't recognize that as a quote from "Time Enough For Love" - Robert Heinlein

3 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Also a reminder that this is different based on where you're from. In the UK, we get the free at sea perks but pay a one off fee of £99 and that covers all of the perks and gratuities, making it an absolutely cracking deal!

Thanks, I didn't think about pricing it out for other areas.

Posted (edited)

Someone looking for clicks on their YouTube video? (note: I didn't click...)

Yes, you get the perks, but the fare may be higher as a result.  Is it a comparable increase to what it would cost to buy those perks a la carte?  Maybe, maybe not...

Edited by hallux
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

99 lb sterling is approximately $137 USD / $169 CAD so pretty close. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

It’s the same thing here 

Amazing how easily people are sucked in by marketing.

Norwegian is the "Freestyle Cruising" line. The word "free" being used throughout their marketing.

"Free at Sea" gives you a drink package so you are "free to order drinks without worrying about a large bar bill at the end of the cruise". "Free at Sea" gives you specialty dining so you are "free to venture outside the MDR without worrying about the extra cost of a specialty restaurant.

While "free" can refer to "no cost", it can also refer to "having the ability to choose without worry".

Why is it that some people can see only one definition? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I thought US citizens pay gratuities on top?

US pay gratuities, we pay the £99. It is a bit cheaper for us, but there isn’t a huge amount in it.

I assume (I haven’t clicked) that the video also talks about more expensive fares to be able to select the perks, which also applies to us somewhat I believe. I don’t look at sail away rates, so I’m not sure at the moment how they compare or what offers they qualify for.

If you compare the fare to a Sailaway Fare or GTY you can see the price differential, with some amount in there for the ability to choose a specific cabin. 

It's not hard to figure out.

• Like 1

A few years back here in the U.S. the drink package was "more free" when it was offered without the several hundred dollar added "service charge" .....Now it's just something you pay full price for at the bottom line. 

34 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

If you compare the fare to a Sailaway Fare or GTY you can see the price differential, with some amount in there for the ability to choose a specific cabin. 

It's not hard to figure out.

That is very true, and sometimes the ability to choose a cabin is worth the difference and sometimes we book the guarantee but because my wife uses a wheelchair, we will often choose a cabin.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Someone looking for clicks on their YouTube video? (note: I didn't click...)

Yes, you get the perks, but the fare may be higher as a result.  Is it a comparable increase to what it would cost to buy those perks a la carte?  Maybe, maybe not...

I create content to try and help people, I see a lot of questions about a subject I create a video.  Do I like clicks yes.  It shows that someone was interested.  Eventually, I may get enough traffic to make some money from YT, but not in the last 3 years and probably not this year either.    But I help lots of people, and that is why I started.

2 hours ago, misguy said:
Do you like 🆓 things

What if 🆓 is not really

Check out this video 👇

You might want to correct your pricing to reflect NCL's 20% gratuities on the PREMIUM PLUS BEVERAGE package.  It's $5.80 additional PP/PD!

($29.00 upgrade + $5.80 gratuities = $34.80 per person per day, NOT $25.60!)

To be clear, to have the fully upgraded Beverage Package, the total overall costs are $34.80 for upgrade, added to the original $19.80.  So, @$54.60 per person per day ($764.40 for 2 people for a week).

4 hours ago, misguy said:

Most wouldn't recognize that as a quote from "Time Enough For Love" - Robert Heinlein

I loved Heinlein when I was growing up.  "Time Enough For Love" was one of my favorites.  Lazarus Long was my favorite Heinlein character.  "Starship Troopers" was the very best and has had a huge lasting influence on scifi.  Just checkout the number of books that are about drop ships, etc.

45 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I loved Heinlein when I was growing up.  "Time Enough For Love" was one of my favorites.  Lazarus Long was my favorite Heinlein character.  "Starship Troopers" was the very best and has had a huge lasting influence on scifi.  Just checkout the number of books that are about drop ships, etc.

I think I have read everything he wrote, some of it multiple times.  I love Starship Troopers, two of my favorite quotes are from Time Enough For Love.

Nothing in life is free.

Its marketing.  Years ago the head of NCL's travel agent booking let it slip and said "bookings are way up with the Free and Sea offers.  Passengers "think" they are getting free perks."
Ooops 🤫

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Free Wifi

On a 162 hour 7 day cruise, you get 4 hours (250 minutes) of free Wifi.

I think this is the most egregious.

Because they provide NO other entertainment  that makes you feel like you need to be online 24/7 as you are at home?  I had free WiFi during my Mexican Riviera cruise and I think I left some minutes "on the table", and I am on my computer or tablet more than most people probably are.  That was even during the world series, as a baseball fan with NCL not showing any part of any game on any of the TVs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1