Non-vaccinated and cruise revenue?

Puffles311

Posted (edited)

My husband and I are fully vaccinated since May and have 2 cruises booked in 2022. I read the cruise critic article this morning boasting about how non-vaccinated cruisers will be hit with a lot higher costs and limited cruise amenities. My husband and I often cruised with cousins and friends, to which some are choosing stay unvaccinated, and when I asked if they would cruise under these new circumstances they respond "absolutely not". 

I think that is fine, as we feel safer sailing with only vaccinated at this point. But will we end up ultimately paying the price for the unvaccinated? I cannot see how these cruise lines will move forward when a big chunk of their revenue is simply gone. The additional inflationary costs of food, fuel, covid measures are also taking a bite out of the revenue of the cruise lines. Combine that with regular customers that will not be customers, how do they survive such a drop in passenger revenue? Will the ships be able to be maintained at the same level, without being filled as they were prior to 2020? We are already seeing the price pressure now, and I fear it is only the tip of the iceberg.

I try to convince my family and friends who are unvaccinated to get it, telling them we will miss our vacations with them, and their attitude is "well join us on our an island trip". I am only saying that some of the people feeling smug about the extra costs and limited amenities carved out for the unvaccinated will absolutely come back to bite them in the wallet in the end. Their dollars will simply not be spent in the industry.

My guess is by 2022, cruise fares will be more than double from now. And that will likely remove even more vaccinated passengers from the customer base, as cruises were often viewed from a value standpoint.

I truly believe the cruise industry business model is in jeopardy going forward. We should not be rejoicing vaccinated/non-vaccinated cruise issue. It will only end up hurting us vaccinated cruise lovers. We will be the ones that pay the price.

Edited by Puffles311

I too, just read RCL’s policy on vaccinations.  It stated that those who are unvaccinated will pay higher costs, and be barred from certain parts of the ship, along with going on ship sponsored tours, instead of doing what you want in port.   This is blatant discrimination!  

If you chose not to be injected with an experimental medication you are treated as second-class citizens, unworthy of participating in “life”, looked upon as unclean.   If the vaccination actually protects you from getting the virus, it would not make any difference to those that chose the vaccine, they would feel safe—right?  The truth is the vaccine is as stated  by the makers of the vaccines,  it does not prevent you from getting the virus, only may mitigate symptoms.  So we are told to take a chance on an experimental medication, and no one is sure what it does, so we may feel less sick?  Please do you own research and make your own choices and stop telling people what medical choices they should make.

I will not go on a cruise that treats me in the manner in the way RCL will.  The companies will indeed lose money, and costs will be higher for all in the future, because the cruise lines made a bad decision without any thought or investigation.

Very sad for me making this decision, but I have cruised over 30 times and am a shareholder of RCL,  they have lost a cruiser.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, seadiamond said:

I too, just read RCL’s policy on vaccinations.  It stated that those who are unvaccinated will pay higher costs, and be barred from certain parts of the ship, along with going on ship sponsored tours, instead of doing what you want in port.   This is blatant discrimination!  

If you chose not to be injected with an experimental medication you are treated as second-class citizens, unworthy of participating in “life”, looked upon as unclean.   If the vaccination actually protects you from getting the virus, it would not make any difference to those that chose the vaccine, they would feel safe—right?  The truth is the vaccine is as stated  by the makers of the vaccines,  it does not prevent you from getting the virus, only may mitigate symptoms.  So we are told to take a chance on an experimental medication, and no one is sure what it does, so we may feel less sick?  Please do you own research and make your own choices and stop telling people what medical choices they should make.

I will not go on a cruise that treats me in the manner in the way RCL will.  The companies will indeed lose money, and costs will be higher for all in the future, because the cruise lines made a bad decision without any thought or investigation.

Very sad for me making this decision, but I have cruised over 30 times and am a shareholder of RCL,  they have lost a cruiser.

And I don't blame you. I believe that all medical choices should be individual medical choices. My husband and I decided to get it, and our son 21 has decided not to due to his risk profile and vaccine side effects.

You are not alone in saying no to cruises, as I know many like you. I am just disheartened over all for where this is taking an entire industry. When my family chooses to vacation together (with unvaccinated son) our vacation dollars will obviously not be spent on cruising. We do not want him to feel discriminated against. I absolutely wish this wasn't the reality for cruising.

• Like 1

Cruise companies have run cruises for all kinds of groups in the past so why is it not possible to have cruises for those vaccinated and ones for those who are not. What people seem to think is that being on a ship is the same as being on land. We are all aware of the fact that it isn't. The fact that the virus spread on the Diamond even when people were isolated in their cabins is proof that the ventilation on ships does not stop it's spread and there is no proof that improvements in it are effective. 90% of every ship is indoors. Having unvaccinated on a ship increases the chance that a cruiser, even vaccinated, will have their vacation cut short, will miss ports or even by being exposed to the virus be required to isolate during or after their cruise. What kind of holiday is that? Why can't there be two cruise worlds? With and without. The cruiselines can decide the ratio of each depending on sales.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 5:21 PM, CanuckCurlers said:

Cruise companies have run cruises for all kinds of groups in the past so why is it not possible to have cruises for those vaccinated and ones for those who are not. What people seem to think is that being on a ship is the same as being on land. We are all aware of the fact that it isn't. The fact that the virus spread on the Diamond even when people were isolated in their cabins is proof that the ventilation on ships does not stop it's spread and there is no proof that improvements in it are effective. 90% of every ship is indoors. Having unvaccinated on a ship increases the chance that a cruiser, even vaccinated, will have their vacation cut short, will miss ports or even by being exposed to the virus be required to isolate during or after their cruise. What kind of holiday is that? Why can't there be two cruise worlds? With and without. The cruiselines can decide the ratio of each depending on sales.

People have a right to decide whether or not they get vaccinated. But don’t the cruise lines also have the right to protect their employees? Sick, quarantined and dead crew can’t run a ship. There is no vaccine that is 100% effective. Scientifically, it makes sense that a ship with the likely hood of less virus onboard, i.e. “fully vaccinated” is also less likely to have an outbreak. 

• Like 4

On 7/5/2021 at 12:38 PM, Puffles311 said:

And I don't blame you. I believe that all medical choices should be individual medical choices. My husband and I decided to get it, and our son 21 has decided not to due to his risk profile and vaccine side effects.

You are not alone in saying no to cruises, as I know many like you. I am just disheartened over all for where this is taking an entire industry. When my family chooses to vacation together (with unvaccinated son) our vacation dollars will obviously not be spent on cruising. We do not want him to feel discriminated against. I absolutely wish this wasn't the reality for cruising.

I respect your decision regarding your son and everyone else’s decisions for their own purposes. I would certainly do everything possible to keep my child safe. So I guess my question is, why would anyone want to risk their child’s health or their own by putting them in a vacation environment that has been proven to be high risk for transmitting a deadly disease? I think your decision to wait is a good one for whatever the reason, especially in light of the Delta variant on its way to becoming the leading strain in the United States.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 8:50 AM, Emelda1967 said:

People have a right to decide whether or not they get vaccinated. But don’t the cruise lines also have the right to protect their employees?

Apparently the Florida Government thinks not. I'm all for fully vaccinated cruises, I think you got the wrong idea from my post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 12:22 PM, seadiamond said:

This is a massive, massive misunderstanding of the vaccine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've sailed 40 plus on different lines.....have lost count. We are not taking these injections. There have been so many things about how this past year and a half has played out that should have led to everyone asking important questions. I'm a retired nurse, not without some insight on the medical 'industry'. But what is happening is beyond anything I could have imagined!