Jump to content

Watch for keeping time while in port?


Recommended Posts

On 7/6/2021 at 4:35 AM, ontheweb said:

You can get a watch just to keep time at Walmart for as little as about $10.

Even less.  I still like a watch, wear one from Walmart that costs about $7.  Works fine for home and in ports.  Of course, be sure you know what local time is compared to ship time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Even less.  I still like a watch, wear one from Walmart that costs about $7.  Works fine for home and in ports.  Of, be sure you know what local time is compared to ship time.

That would be around $7 + tax of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I so agree it is a refreshing change.  Yes i was making reference to Zulu and numerous other names for time standards. .  OK astronomical geeks, let's chat about sidereal time next lol.

 

Haha!! that's probably caused a number of Google searches, as thats a term probably not known to many. Last time I dealt with that was in Principles of Navigation, in the late 70's


………. For goodness sake don’t ask what time twilight is then 😊

 

As to another comment, I had my Tamaya Sextant out the other day and used it for viewing the partial eclipse. Didn’t half get some funny looks from the neighbours 🧐

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found this thread interesting because I'm sort of a watch freak.  I have several, from different manufacturers.  Some self-wind, some battery, and some Eco-Drive.  You will very seldom ever see me without a watch.  I put my watch on as soon as I get up in the morning, so you will find me wearing it at breakfast.  It's the last thing I take off before going to bed at night.  If I take a nap, I do not remove it.

 

My current favorite is a Rado, self-wind, followed by a radio-controlled Citizen Eco-Drive that has both analog and digital times.

 

It appears that I'm odd-man-out.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, isosika said:

 

My current favorite is a Rado, self-wind, followed by a radio-controlled Citizen Eco-Drive that has both analog and digital times.

 

It appears that I'm odd-man-out.

 

 

I guess I'm guilty of a few too many watches as well.  My favorite for obvious reasons is my grandfather's pocket watch from his railroad days.  When cruising I usually use a cheap watch that I don't care about.  Though always have a fresh battery.  Was funny in university during finals when someone would freak out because their calculator battery suddenly died.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, isosika said:

 

My current favorite is a Rado, self-wind, followed by a radio-controlled Citizen Eco-Drive that has both analog and digital times.

 

It appears that I'm odd-man-out.

 

 

I guess I'm guilty of a few too many watches as well.  My favorite for obvious reasons is my grandfather's pocket watch from his railroad days.  When cruising I usually use a cheap watch that I don't care about.  Though always have a fresh battery.  Was funny in university during finals when someone would freak out because their calculator battery suddenly died.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I so agree it is a refreshing change.  Yes i was making reference to Zulu and numerous other names for time standards. .  OK astronomical geeks, let's chat about sidereal time next lol.

 

Haha!! that's probably caused a number of Google searches, as thats a term probably not known to many. Last time I dealt with that was in Principles of Navigation, in the late 70's


………. For goodness sake don’t ask what time twilight is then 😊

 

As to another comment, I had my Tamaya Sextant out the other day and used it for viewing the partial eclipse. Didn’t half get some funny looks from the neighbours 🧐

 

I had heard of the word 'sidereal', but had no idea what it means.  Still don't really understand it.  

 

I saw a sextant in a wooden box a couple of weeks ago at a garage sale.   Pretty cool device.  Mrs Ldubs said I was not to even think about it.  She was probably right . . . . again.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, isosika said:

I found this thread interesting because I'm sort of a watch freak.  I have several, from different manufacturers.  Some self-wind, some battery, and some Eco-Drive.  You will very seldom ever see me without a watch.  I put my watch on as soon as I get up in the morning, so you will find me wearing it at breakfast.  It's the last thing I take off before going to bed at night.  If I take a nap, I do not remove it.

 

My current favorite is a Rado, self-wind, followed by a radio-controlled Citizen Eco-Drive that has both analog and digital times.

 

It appears that I'm odd-man-out.

 

 

 

I was on a cruise once in the Caribbean and my watch battery died after I boarded the ship.  We had planned to do a taxi tour of the island.  The first stop on the taxi tour was to a store so that I could buy a cheap new watch.  It was even a gold watch or at least gold colored - LOL.  The battery on the thing lasted a year or so and it traveled on several cruises.  I have several Citizen Eco-Drive watches.  They are great watches except that I have to get out the manual every time we travel as I can never remember how to set it. 

 

My favorite watch is an Omega Seamaster chronograph manual wind watch.  It is the same movement but not the same style as the Apollo astronauts wore on the moon.  I wear it several days per week.  The problem with having one of the classic watches is that the last time I had it cleaned, it cost me more than $500 and you do have to have it cleaned regularly.

 

DON

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, ldubs said:

 

I had heard of the word 'sidereal', but had no idea what it means.  Still don't really understand it.  

 

I saw a sextant in a wooden box a couple of weeks ago at a garage sale.   Pretty cool device.  Mrs Ldubs said I was not to even think about it.  She was probably right . . . . again.   

Sidereal time is not quite 24 hours to the day.

Its the time between two zenith alignments of the same star. Or the Earth's rotation period relative the fixed stars [the 24 hour period is relative to our local star, the Sun].

Quoting from Wikipedia:

sidereal day is approximately 86164.0905 seconds (23 h 56 min 4.0905 s or 23.9344696 h).

This is the driver for the changes in the night sky as seasons progress.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Sidereal time is not quite 24 hours to the day.

Its the time between two zenith alignments of the same star. Or the Earth's rotation period relative the fixed stars [the 24 hour period is relative to our local star, the Sun].

Quoting from Wikipedia:

sidereal day is approximately 86164.0905 seconds (23 h 56 min 4.0905 s or 23.9344696 h).

This is the driver for the changes in the night sky as seasons progress.

 

Thanks OldBear.   I'm completely out of my depths with this subject.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't worn a watch since the last cheap cruise watch I killed snorkeling thirteen years ago. If one doesn't normally wear a watch, using one during a cruise can prove interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

 

I was on a cruise once in the Caribbean and my watch battery died after I boarded the ship.  We had planned to do a taxi tour of the island.  The first stop on the taxi tour was to a store so that I could buy a cheap new watch.  It was even a gold watch or at least gold colored - LOL.  The battery on the thing lasted a year or so and it traveled on several cruises.  I have several Citizen Eco-Drive watches.  They are great watches except that I have to get out the manual every time we travel as I can never remember how to set it. 

 

My favorite watch is an Omega Seamaster chronograph manual wind watch.  It is the same movement but not the same style as the Apollo astronauts wore on the moon.  I wear it several days per week.  The problem with having one of the classic watches is that the last time I had it cleaned, it cost me more than $500 and you do have to have it cleaned regularly.

 

DON

 

Don - excellent choice of watch. Omega is also my preferred watch, currently using a newer 300m Seamaster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time..... being able to know the time at anytime.....  generally don't carry my phone, and the car has a clock and plenty clocks at home....   but try finding a clock out shopping.... they a far and few between

 

Interestingly since retiring the only time one wear a watch in on a cruise.

 

and try not to be governed by the time.... unless one has to be somewhere a a set time.....

( one has been know to sit in the car and wait so one can be on time )

 

But is the time that important ?  the sun rises and sets, is that close enough ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2021 at 10:48 PM, neverbeenhere said:

When in Mexico: Senior Frog’s 🐸 keeps time


But those elderly frogs are a bit senile. Do you trust them to keep time straight? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know not everyone has (or wants) a cell phone and a smart watch, but my technique with these, in situations where the ship's time will change overnight, is to set my phone to the desired new time manually and then to sync with my smart watch.   That way, if I wake up in the middle of the night then my watch will show the same as my phone and also the ship's time.  

Similarly, when I go ashore I confirm that my watch is showing the same time as is shown on the ship's clock and then am good to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Astronomical, Nautical or Civil ???

 

Sorry could help it.......and we haven't started on clock hands yet...lol

 

Which one did we use for Star Sights and why??😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

How will I know what time time the ship's time will change?  This is important to know so I can wake up to change the time on my watch, otherwise I could be sleeping with the wrong time on my watch.  I probably should call guest services and set a wake up call a couple minutes before ship time changes so I have enough time to change my watch.  😵

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Nautical.....  so you can see the stars and horizon.....

 

 

That's the one.

 

We would pre-calculate the approximate azimuth (bearing) and altitude of up to 6 stars. If no clouds, we would start with highest or lowest magnitude star, depending on whether sunrise or sunset. In sequence, we set the sextant to the altitude and looked along that bearing, hopefully seeing the star and the horizon. Fine tuned the altitude and noted the time. Process repeated for up to 6 stars.

 

Just some useless trivia, that is probably never used these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...