MSC requires covid insurance onboard?

HappyInVan

I am booked for October in the Mediterranean. As I read it, pax are required to buy a covid insurance policy to cover the sailing. Looking through the USA site, there's an insurance policy offered through Euroassistance...

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Assets/MSC-Covid-Protection-Plan-Global.pdf

I called MSC today, and was told that MSC does not sell insurance(?). So, how would I purchase this "“MSC Covid19" policy? Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm not going to make FP if I'm unable to purchase a policy specific to covid.

For the UK cruises they sell this as top up insurance in the terminal if they deem your own insurance not good enough. We purchased our own insurance which covered covid as there are now many UK companies offering this. 

Can you not buy a travel insurance policy from an independant company in North America that covers covid? 

10 minutes ago, kernow said:

For the UK cruises they sell this as top up insurance in the terminal if they deem your own insurance not good enough. We purchased our own insurance which covered covid as there are now many UK companies offering this. 

Can you not buy a travel insurance policy from an independant company in North America that covers covid? 

The problem in Canada is that the government still has an advisory to 'Avoid all travel on cruise ships until further notice."

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

So, purchasing a Canadian policy is problemtic. Not sure if it is possible to purchase an American policy directly.

Looks like I will cancel before FP. I'll just get a refund of my FCC on December 31st. 

Might book the equivalent cruise for March 2022. Currently, the Canadian ban on cruise ship extends to Febuary 2022. If not, I have an Alaska cruise booked for May. It's MSC's loss if they're not selling the covid insurance to Canadians. 🙄

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

The problem in Canada is that the government still has an advisory to 'Avoid all travel on cruise ships until further notice."

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

So, purchasing a Canadian policy is problemtic. Not sure if it is possible to purchase an American policy directly.

Looks like I will cancel before FP. I'll just get a refund of my FCC on December 31st. 

Might book the equivalent cruise for March 2022. Currently, the Canadian ban on cruise ship extends to Febuary 2022. If not, I have an Alaska cruise booked for May. It's MSC's loss if they're not selling the covid insurance to Canadians. 🙄

If there's a ban on all cruising until Feb 2022, it might be wise to see how things go before you start another itinerary, in the off chance that it gets extended 2 months before your embarkation date.  There's nothing engraved in stone that says we're through with this pandemic yet, there's still a lot of vax indifference and ignorance out there making a lot of places hot spots for spikes.

• Thanks 1

MSC Canada offers travel insurance through a third party - TuGo.  You can find it here:

Travel Insurance | MSC Cruises

Then click on TuGo.  If the link doesn't work - just search the MSC Canada site for insurance.  We have a cruise from Miami in Oct and are considering getting it to be on the safe side.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, smeesme said:

MSC Canada offers travel insurance through a third party - TuGo.  You can find it here:

Travel Insurance | MSC Cruises

Then click on TuGo.  If the link doesn't work - just search the MSC Canada site for insurance.  We have a cruise from Miami in Oct and are considering getting it to be on the safe side.

Thanks. Its a referal. You have to purchase directly. Price seems to be very reasonable. No idea who they are?

Unfortunately, their exclusion includes...

"An official travel advisory issued by the Canadian government stating to “avoid all travel” or “avoid non-essential travel” regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before the effective date of the Policy or the date you travel to that destination (including any stopovers, layovers or any other destinations you are transiting through). "

Edited by HappyInVan

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

.....Unfortunately, their exclusion includes...

"An official travel advisory issued by the Canadian government stating to “avoid all travel” or “avoid non-essential travel” regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before the effective date of the Policy or the date you travel to that destination (including any stopovers, layovers or any other destinations you are transiting through). "

Naturally, would you have expected anything else??

11 hours ago, hamrag said:

Naturally, would you have expected anything else??

The point is that MSC initiated a covid insurance requirement for economic reasons; regardless of whether you are vaccinated or where you come from. MSC is selling covid insurance policies during booking and embarkation to EU and UK residents.

But, not to Canadians like me. So, they should not be surprised by what I do next week.

In comparison, Westjet airlines offers a blanket $200k policy, gratis, to its pax. So, you know where I'll be spending my money.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-trip/vacation/covid-insurance

I started this thread hoping that there might be relief somehow. Apparently, it is not to be. Not to worry, I have a MSC booking for August 2022.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

The point is that MSC initiated a covid insurance requirement for economic reasons; regardless of whether you are vaccinated or where you come from. MSC is selling covid insurance policies during booking and embarkation to EU and UK residents.

It is better to be fully vaccinated and buy a local travel insurance policy in your home country which mentions specific cover of covid-19.

Non vaccinated guests are subject to very stringent checks and a lot of restrictions.

Bring the original vaccination certificate and present it along with the travel insurance mentioning covid cover at the time of boarding

Edited by drsel
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, italophile2 said:

Does anyone know if they're selling insurance that covers covid at their terminal in Genoa for US citizens living in Italy?

In what country are you booking the cruise?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, italophile2 said:

Does anyone know if they're selling insurance that covers covid at their terminal in Genoa for US citizens living in Italy?

No one has noticed it at any Cruise terminal in Europe so far.

So I don't think it's available for on the spot purchase at Genoa, Barcelona, etc

On the spot insurance with specific covid cover is/was available at UK embarkation ports for UK sailings

Edited by drsel

Contact Steve Dassos at the Trip Insurance Store. 
tripinsurancestore(dot)com

Steve is an independent agent. All of the policies he sells for the carriers he represents cover covid. 

Not sure about Canada but he’s the expert. Suggest you contact him. 

8 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Contact Steve Dassos at the Trip Insurance Store. 
tripinsurancestore(dot)com

Steve is an independent agent. All of the policies he sells for the carriers he represents cover covid. 

Not sure about Canada but he’s the expert. Suggest you contact him. 

Which nationalities can buy this Covid specific travel insurance?

39 minutes ago, drsel said:

Which nationalities can buy this Covid specific travel insurance?

Again, I don’t know about that. Check Steve’s website or call him. He’s the expert. We’ve used him for years and he’s never let us down. 

Also interested I have Covid insurance with my insurer but it doesn’t specifically say it just on their website. I wondered if I print my policy if this will be enough. MSC don’t exactly say what the insurance should cover. 

I am a US citizen cruising out of Lisbon in Oct.  There was no indication I had to get travellers insurance.  I booked directly with MSC over the phone and was never asked if i wanted insurance from the agent (my credit card does provide it for free anyway). 

I think the above comment that this was geared towards UK sailings this summer was accurate.  I will certainly look into it more before our departure

13 hours ago, scotia_girl said:

I am a US citizen cruising out of Lisbon in Oct.  There was no indication I had to get travellers insurance.  I booked directly with MSC over the phone and was never asked if i wanted insurance from the agent (my credit card does provide it for free anyway). 

I think the above comment that this was geared towards UK sailings this summer was accurate.  I will certainly look into it more before our departure

I'm looking at insurance aspect also. I have a premium credit card too that pays travel insurance but does not cover the specific limits I've seen mentioned throughout the board, you should check thoroughly 

On 7/11/2021 at 1:12 PM, scotia_girl said:

I looked at my Sept booking from Barcelona in detail. Tells you to have covid insurance, and that they sell it. Cannot find a way to buy other than phone number.

2 hours ago, bones774 said:
  • Does anybody know if MSC or other lines will accept third party insurance? Are the major insurance co. selling covid insurance?

Yes, they will accept third party travel insurance if it mentions Covid specific cover

Posted (edited)

Some good news for Canadians. Yes, Manulife is selling covid travel insurance for the FULLY VACCINATED, to Costco members.

The call center quoted a very reasonable price for a 21 day trip.

Unfortunately, I will be cancelling my October cruise in the Med. Delta variant is thriving in the tourist friendly countries. Likely to see border closures again within the EU. Not good for a 5-country itinerary.

I am keen to take the October cruise (before the winter season) because IMO the next viable cruises might be in spring of 2022. Unfortunately, Delta is moving too fast. It is what it is.

Capture.JPG

Edited by HappyInVan