MSC requires covid insurance onboard?

HappyInVan

18 minutes ago, smeesme said:

Hi,

Did Manulife specifically say that they had Covid insurance for a cruise?  I emailed them and they said they had Covid insurance but it didn't cover cruises for Canadians.  I might need to give them a call.

I was reading their brochure...

Important information about cruise travel: If you have not received the vaccine, this policy does not provide any coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications on a cruise or at any destination included in your cruise itinerary...”

Exclusion...

Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all non-essential travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date.”

So, we've to hope that GoC lifts its travel advisory before the cruise.

I'm fully vax and willing to risk a cruise without covid insurance. However, MSC makes life difficult by requiring covid insurance. That's one of the reasons why I'm cancelling.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, MStarzky said:

i am fully vaccinated and i was not offered any travel insurance when i booked through msc.ca. Do we all need the insurance?

As far as I know...

"As during a cruise, you may be exposed to specific COVID-19 risks that may not be usually covered by existing insurance policies, to ensure your peace of mind is mandatory for all guests to have in place an insurance policy that specifically covers them against COVID-19 related risks, such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization....

With immediate effect, for all new reservations on Summer 21 and Winter 21/22 cruises sailing from 27 June 2021 , passengers will be required to provide evidence of their insurance policy and this should include the details of the insurer, the insured amounts and full details of the COVID-19  coverage such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and expenses, and hospitalization..."

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Manage-Your-Booking/Before-Departure.aspx

Of course, requirements could change before embarkation(?)

Edited by HappyInVan

damn well i have

10 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

As far as I know...

"As during a cruise, you may be exposed to specific COVID-19 risks that may not be usually covered by existing insurance policies, to ensure your peace of mind is mandatory for all guests to have in place an insurance policy that specifically covers them against COVID-19 related risks, such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization....

With immediate effect, for all new reservations on Summer 21 and Winter 21/22 cruises sailing from 27 June 2021 , passengers will be required to provide evidence of their insurance policy and this should include the details of the insurer, the insured amounts and full details of the COVID-19  coverage such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and expenses, and hospitalization..."

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Manage-Your-Booking/Before-Departure.aspx

Of course, requirements could change before embarkation(?)

i have a friend going in august so I'll see what she does, I'll have to figure something out.

Done! Cancelled the booking. Forfeit $199 deposit.

Yes, I was required to have covid insurance. No exceptions.

Thanks for the help on this forum. I might sneak in a flight to just Germany and France in September, using the Manulife-Costco covid insurance.

Be safe.

20 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Done! Cancelled the booking. Forfeit $199 deposit. Yes, I was required to have covid insurance. No exceptions.

You dont need to forfeit $199.

All MSC cruises booked from 1 Aug 2020 till 31 July 2021 & sailing before 30 Sep 2022 can be changed (upto 48 hours prior to sailing) to any other MSC cruise sailing before 30 Sep 2022;  without ANY charge/penalty

You dont need to forfeit $199.

All MSC cruises booked from 1 Aug 2020 till 31 July 2021 & sailing before 30 Sep 2022 can be changed (upto 48 hours prior to sailing) to any other MSC cruise sailing before 30 Sep 2022;  without ANY charge/penalty.

The deposit is simply transferred to the NEW cruise.

All OBC of the old cruise will not apply, but OBC offered for the new cruise will apply 

On 7/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, bones774 said:
  • Does anybody know if MSC or other lines will accept third party insurance? Are the major insurance co. selling covid insurance?

MSC website also says if you buy other insurance it has to include all the requirements etc BUT that you then STILL have to buy this travel plan protection service from MSC for 150$ per person. (4 people in my party) ...I tried to call MSC yesterday.  I already paid for my cruise and didnt get insurance (have it through my credit card) but seen this meaning another 600$ if I can't buy the MSC insurance I think I will have to cancel the cruise....too many add ons with the current covid excursions limitation not worth it 😞

Posted (edited)

As of now it is saying is those who purchased tickets after June 27th are required to purchase Covid insurance.

If you purchased your tickets earlier and are sailing on or before Oct 31 MSC provides Covid insurance at no cost provided you are vaccinated and are able to show proof.

Going forward I will take the requirement for insurance into consideration for future bookings.

MSC CRUISES COVID-19 REASSURANCE DETAILS FOR FULLY VACCINATED  

For sailings on or before October 31, 2021, the following MSC Cruises COVID-19 Reassurance will be provided at no extra charge for fully vaccinated guests (with required proof of vaccination) as it relates to COVID-19 protection services:

Edited by kilkoyne

3 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

As of now it is saying is those who purchased tickets after June 27th are required to purchase Covid insurance.

If you purchased your tickets earlier and are sailing on or before Oct 31 MSC provides Covid insurance at no cost provided you are vaccinated and are able to show proof.

Going forward I will take the requirement for insurance into consideration for future bookings.

MSC CRUISES COVID-19 REASSURANCE DETAILS FOR FULLY VACCINATED  

For sailings on or before October 31, 2021, the following MSC Cruises COVID-19 Reassurance will be provided at no extra charge for fully vaccinated guests (with required proof of vaccination) as it relates to COVID-19 protection services:

So am i too believe we dont need covid insurance if we are fully vaccinated?

2 hours ago, MStarzky said:

So am i too believe we dont need covid insurance if we are fully vaccinated?

Well, after reading it again I see it's different for US cruises vs Europe.

For US MSC the website is saying MSC will provide insurance for sailings before 10/31at no cost.

Europe cruises are the responsibility of the passenger.

Are you sailing US? If so, when did you purchase your tickets and when is your sailing date?

Posted (edited)

I'm sailing from miami on sept 18, i bought the tickets on tuesday. I just wonder if its different between the canadian website and the american one.

Edited by MStarzky

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MStarzky said:

ok looks like there is no need for covid insurance then since im fully vaccinated, thanks.

Only valid if your second shot was after June 20,  2021 for your sailing of September 18, 2021

Edited by drsel

57 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

it's different for US cruises vs Europe.

For US MSC the website is saying MSC will provide insurance for sailings before 10/31at no cost.

Europe cruises are the responsibility of the passenger.

I just posted information for Cruises out of USA.

what are the requirements for Cruises in the Mediterranean? how are they different?

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

I just posted information for Cruises out of USA.

what are the requirements for Cruises in the Mediterranean? how are they different?

Well it looks like everyone needs to be insured. The difference is for those sailing out of US before 10/21 MSC will provide the insurance at no cost.

With European sailings passengers are required to purchase at their expense.

Also, US sailings after 10/31 you will also have to be purchase at passengers expense.

At least that's what I'm understanding from reading through both US and Europe "Health and Safety"

On 7/17/2021 at 5:16 PM, scotia_girl said:

from MSC USA website regarding Europe cruises  - see last bullet point?!   And in the FAQ it says that if you buy your own private insurance you must still then buy this Travel Protection Plan which is 150$ per person! 

We will deny boarding in case of:
• Symptoms such as fever (>99.5 F / 37.5 C), cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle/body aches, fatigue, headache, sore throat and loss of taste/smell within 14 days of embarkation
• Potential exposure to a suspected or confirmed case of  COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation
• Temporary travel restrictions based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.
• Failure to provide the proof of the mandatory Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance policy (which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish) 

From FAQ is travel insurance required? 

- Is insurance required to travel?

Yes, the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 is required for guests who are both fully vaccinated and not fully vaccinated or unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination. If you do not purchase the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19, you will be denied boarding. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your cruise. If you’ve already booked your cruise and have not purchased the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19, you may call 844-546-8256, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment. Guests that purchase the insurance offered by MSC Cruises do not need to present  insurance documentation, as this information will be included on your reservation and visible to the terminal agent. 

For guests wanting to purchase their own travel insurance, it is required to provide coverage for COVID-19 protection in accordance to the coverage MSC is providing (click here to find out more). If the guest chooses to buy their own travel insurance, COVID-19 Protection Services must also be purchased (visit our FAQ for more details). Guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises must provide proof of their valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions.  The insurance policy must name the guest as the policy holder or beneficiary.  Guests must bring a printed version of the insurance policy, showing the name of each of the covered guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy. This documentation will be reviewed by our staff at the terminal prior to boarding. In addition, guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises will also be required to purchase our COVID-19 Protection Services. The COVID-19 Protection Services is for all guests 3 years and older and cost: $100 per guest for cruises 4 nights or less; $150 per guest for cruises 5 nights or longer. This protection service can be purchased prior to your cruise by calling 844-546-8256, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment.

That doesnt make any sense, so they offer covid insurance free of charge and then you have to buy more covid insurance from either them [which they dont offer to canadians] or find some other third party covid insurance.

Even the agents based in canada can't figure this thing out.

Has anybody looked into their CC travel protection? I have Chase Sapphire and it states quarantine by a doctor or competent govt authority will be covered. Will  that be good enough for MSC?

2 minutes ago, bones774 said:

Has anybody looked into their CC travel protection? I have Chase Sapphire and it states quarantine by a doctor or competent govt authority will be covered. Will  that be good enough for MSC?

I have same card and bought cruise with points, which qualities for their insurance. Where did you read quarantine would work. We're fully vaccinated but more insurance is still better.

CNBC article, 1st of this month

The Sapphire Reserve states, “quarantine of you or your travel companion imposed by a physician or by a competent governmental authority having jurisdiction, due to health reasons,” is a covered event. Likewise, it states in The Platinum Card® from American Express guide to trip cancellation and interruption insurance that a “quarantine imposed by a physician for health reasons” is a covered loss.

6 minutes ago, thepla said:

I have same card and bought cruise with points, which qualities for their insurance. Where did you read quarantine would work. We're fully vaccinated but more insurance is still better.

The question is will it satisfy MSC requirement?

Did you get any bonus using points?

32 minutes ago, bones774 said:

The question is will it satisfy MSC requirement?

Did you get any bonus using points?

No. They use 1.5 cents for cruises, travel, etc for conversion.