MSC requires covid insurance onboard?

HappyInVan

There is absolute confusion on this insurance issue.  Every post seems to contradict a previous post.  I am booked on a September cruise out of Barcelona and I think I'll wait until the situation clarifies before I purchase any insurance and possibly incur an unnecessary expense.

I just emailed my TA again about this. The issue is that there is conflicting information. We are sailing with MSC in Europe next month. According to the MSC USA website, we automatically get coverage from MSC that includes Covid-19. BUT: their own website says two different things:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/europe-cruises

Here it says that BOTH the vaccinated AND the unvaccinated must purchase the Travel Protection plan (which isn't included for free):

Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance through MSC Cruises is required for both fully and not fully vaccinated guests. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You will be denied boarding if insurance is not purchased. View description of coverage/policy here.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

Above is the PDF explaining the two different insurance products they offer. On THAT page it says the Travel Protection Plan is only for unvaccinated. So is it only for them or for everyone? We made final payment a month ago and there's no mention on our invoice about insurance, and we weren't required to pay for any before they'd allow us to make the final payment. Not really sure what to do at this point except wait and see.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Here it says that BOTH the vaccinated AND the unvaccinated must purchase the Travel Protection plan (which isn't included for free):

Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance through MSC Cruises is required for both fully and not fully vaccinated guests. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You will be denied boarding if insurance is not purchased.

This part above is absolutely true for Europe Cruises.

For Europe Cruises, even fully vaccinated people have to buy the travel protection plan for 150 dollars

The PDF which says the Travel Protection Plan is "not mandatory for vaccinated" is applicable only for Cruises out of USA, so it is not applicable for you.

For your Europe Cruise, you would be advised to contact your travel agent or MSC USA to buy the travel protection plan for $150 or whatever price they offer

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, MStarzky said:

Yes this is my issue, the wording makes no sense. They are contradicting themselves in the exact same paragraph.

It's confusing because the rules are different for Cruises out of USA and out of Europe

For Europe Cruises, even fully vaccinated people have to buy the travel protection plan for 150 dollars

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MStarzky said:

but out of the US it isnt?

Fully vaccinated passengers (with hard copy proof) do not need to buy the MSC travel protection plan for Cruises out of USA only.

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, MStarzky said:

but out of the US it isnt?

Just got an email from our TA. We *do* have to buy insurance from MSC, and it was $175pp (possibly because we're in Yacht Club), not $150. Fortunately, he was able to get MSC to add it to our existing reservation. So despite the language saying you must buy it before final payment date, it's possible to have it added later. This is for a European cruise, BTW. And we are US citizens. Hope this helps others.

(And this is another reason I LOVE having a professional travel agent)

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Just got an email from our TA. We *do* have to buy insurance from MSC, and it was $175pp....

Did you have to buy the COVID-19 only Protection Service coverage or the Travel Protection with COVID-19 coverage?  If the price varied by cruise cost then I'd say it was the full Travel Protection with coverage for COVID-19 plan.

8 hours ago, drsel said:

Fully vaccinated passengers (with hard copy proof) do not need to buy the MSC travel protection plan for Cruises out of USA only.

In fact the way the US website reads, the MSC Covid coverage will be provided to fully vaxed at no charge.  

“…MSC Cruises Travel & COVID-19 Reassurance will be provided at no extra charge for guests who are fully vaccinated, kids under 12 years old traveling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians, (within 90 days of sail date with proof of vaccination)”

5 hours ago, Até said:

Did you have to buy the COVID-19 only Protection Service coverage or the Travel Protection with COVID-19 coverage?  If the price varied by cruise cost then I'd say it was the full Travel Protection with coverage for COVID-19 plan.

The 2nd one. (Travel Protection w/ COVID-19) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

The 2nd one. (Travel Protection w/ COVID-19) 

Is it all looking good for you to go then? I hope so! We cancelled our August one when they asked for final payment. Everything crossed for yours going ahead 🤞

3 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Is it all looking good for you to go then? I hope so! We cancelled our August one when they asked for final payment. Everything crossed for yours going ahead 🤞

When did you cancel? 90 days prior to sailing?

Did you lose the deposit or transfer it to a future cruise?

54 minutes ago, drsel said:

When did you cancel? 90 days prior to sailing?

Did you lose the deposit or transfer it to a future cruise?

No, more like five weeks prior and I am getting an MSC voucher for the deposit (£1k) which I initially paid in 2019. 

6 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

So far, it all looks good. 😊 But I won't believe it until we're actually aboard. We still have a landbased vacation in mind in case the cruise doesn't happen for some reason.

• Like 2

For Canadian cruisers - I have talked extensively with the Canadian MSC people and they are adamant that Covid insurance is required for even fully vaxxed Canadian cruisers.  Because we can't get insurance right now (due to the Canadian government's travel advisory against any cruise ship travel), MSC is not selling cruises to us for July/August. 

I was told they are hoping for a change in Sept.  I hope so as I'm supposed to cruise in Oct.

Posted (edited)

if you go to the canadian msc website you can book cruises for sept. If you read their own covid insurance policy they give it to you for free as long as you are sailing out of a US port. It is not needed to buy their plan, but it is recommended to buy travel insurance, but not mandatory. I've talked to so many MSC agents that all give different anwsers. I am still booked for the Sept 18 sailing from miami.

They quite literally give you the covid insurance as long as you are double dosed with hard proof and is 90 days from you sailing.

Edited by MStarzky

3 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

No, more like five weeks prior and I am getting an MSC voucher for the deposit (£1k) which I initially paid in 2019. 

How come they asked you for final payment only 35 days prior to sailing and not 90 days prior to sailing?.

My US travel agent automatically makes my final payment around 97 days prior to sailing (seven days in advance of the due date)

17 minutes ago, drsel said:

How come they asked you for final payment only 35 days prior to sailing and not 90 days prior to sailing?.

My US travel agent automatically makes my final payment around 97 days prior to sailing (seven days in advance of the due date)

No idea…I’ve given up trying to work out when/why MSC do anything to be honest.

In addition to this my booking still appears to be live and I could add drinks/dining etc on if I wanted to I think!

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Até said:

Right now it's very clear that everyone (vaccinated or not) on a Europe  Cruise from 1st August 2021, HAS to purchase the full Travel Protection plan ONLY,  whatever the cost.

Without this he will be denied boarding.

This is regardless of any other travel insurance he may have bought with Covid coverage included.

Some who sailed in July were not asked for proof of this Travel Protection plan, because it is mandatory only from 1st August 2021.

The Covid only protection service is given free to fully vaccinated passengers ONLY for cruises out of USA and is not relevant/not applicable/not available for cruises out of Europe.

This web page has been modified to include all information in one page without having to read the FAQs

Edited by drsel

... and then we have the transatlantic (grand voyage) which sails out of Europe then on to US. People may board in a variety of European cities. When I booked, I was told specifically  (many times) that we (US citizens) must have insurance if not vaccinated. The rules may be different for these non-loop voyages. IIRC, members of the Roll Call are equally confused, but each may have different info based on departure port. Most importantly, for me, is that the rules may change several times before Nov 2, when we board. 

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Right now it's very clear that everyone....

This web page has been modified to include all information in one page without having to read the FAQs

I've avoided posting on this thread because the discussion was too broad, covering policy in multiple countries and thus becoming confusing.

As far as US bookings for EU sailings it is true you must have both Travel Protection coverage with the COVID-19 Reassurance plan.  But the FAQ provides additional valuable information:  MSC gives you the option of buying your own Travel Protection policy while MSC's COVID-19 specific plan appears to remain mandatory and billed at $100 to $150 per person depending on cruise length.

The MSC US Health & Safety FAQ for EU sailings also states you cannot purchase the full Travel Protection plan from MSC if you are past final payment.  So my only question to DCGuy64 was whether MSC made an exception to that rule.  According to his response MSC allowed him to purchase the full plan after final payment, likely due to the recent implementation of this insurance requirement.

10 minutes ago, Rhea98 said:

... and then we have the transatlantic (grand voyage) which sails out of Europe then on to US. People may board in a variety of European cities. When I booked, I was told specifically  (many times) that we (US citizens) must have insurance if not vaccinated. The rules may be different for these non-loop voyages. IIRC, members of the Roll Call are equally confused, but each may have different info based on departure port. Most importantly, for me, is that the rules may change several times before Nov 2, when we board. 

You are absolutely right, change is inevitable with the covid-19 situation changing almost everyday.

Now cases active cases in USA have crossed 5 million, but USA still in the green list for most countries in Europe.

UK cases too have zoomed after the 2 sporting events, Wimbledon and Euro Cup football

17 minutes ago, Rhea98 said:

... and then we have the transatlantic (grand voyage) which sails out of Europe then on to US.

MSC treats Grand Voyages according to the area of departure, your sailing will be considered a EU sailing.  I'd advise you read the Terms and Conditions that state you must follow any recent updates to the MSC website, particularly mentioning the changing Health and Safety protocols regarding COVID-19 policy - see section four.

Since you are past final payment I would reach out to MSC about this insurance requirement asap because it appears to be much more cost efficient to purchase the full Travel Protection w/COVID-19 plan from MSC while they are still offering to do it retroactively than to purchase your own travel protection separately and still have to buy the COVID-19 policy from MSC anyway.  And worst case could be getting denied boarding due to not having the correct insurance.

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions July, 2021.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smeesme said:

For Canadian cruisers - I have talked extensively with the Canadian MSC people and they are adamant that Covid insurance is required for even fully vaxxed Canadian cruisers.  Because we can't get insurance right now (due to the Canadian government's travel advisory against any cruise ship travel), MSC is not selling cruises to us for July/August. 

I was told they are hoping for a change in Sept.  I hope so as I'm supposed to cruise in Oct.

I rec'd the same info but I doubt that the Level 4 Travel Advisory will be lifted prior to Nov. 1/21 which is the revised date for the cruise ship ban in Canadian waters.  Until that travel advisory is lowered, no insurer will provide Covid coverage for cruise ship travel.

There is MUCH confusion at MSC (so what else is new) especially between the Canadian and US reservation agents and the 2 web sites.