MSC requires covid insurance onboard?

HappyInVan

11 minutes ago, Até said:

MSC treats Grand Voyages according to the area of departure, your sailing will be considered a EU sailing.  I'd advise you read the Terms and Conditions that state you must follow any recent updates to the MSC website, particularly mentioning the changing Health and Safety protocols regarding COVID-19 policy - see section four.

Since you are past final payment I would reach out to MSC about this insurance requirement asap because it appears to be much more cost efficient to purchase the full Travel Protection w/COVID-19 plan from MSC while they are still offering to do it retroactively than to purchase your own travel protection separately and still have to buy the COVID-19 policy from MSC anyway.  And worst case could be getting denied boarding due to not having the correct insurance.

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions July, 2021.pdf 296.97 kB · 1 download

Thank you, the attached document explains why we were required to make final payment on June 18 for an August 28 sailing. (for cruises between 5-14 nights, final payment is due no later than 90 days prior to sail date-our cruise is 7 days). I think @Até is correct regarding our insurance, it was not a requirement when we first booked and MSC didn't raise an issue when our TA processed the final payment for us. It was only after I saw the information here regarding insurance that I asked him to check with MSC. We are covered now and that's all that matters.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Até said:

MSC treats Grand Voyages according to the area of departure, your sailing will be considered a EU sailing.  I'd advise you read the Terms and Conditions that state you must follow any recent updates to the MSC website, particularly mentioning the changing Health and Safety protocols regarding COVID-19 policy - see section four.

Since you are past final payment I would reach out to MSC about this insurance requirement asap because it appears to be much more cost efficient to purchase the full Travel Protection w/COVID-19 plan from MSC while they are still offering to do it retroactively than to purchase your own travel protection separately and still have to buy the COVID-19 policy from MSC anyway.  And worst case could be getting denied boarding due to not having the correct insurance.

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions July, 2021.pdf 296.97 kB · 3 downloads

For Europe Cruises,  only the MSC Travel Protection Pan is available for mandatory purchase, even after final payment date.

Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance through MSC Cruises is required for both fully and not fully vaccinated guests. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You will be denied boarding if insurance is not purchased.

The cost $100 or $150 has been removed now

Edited by drsel

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you, the attached document explains why we were required to make final payment on June 18 for an August 28 sailing. (for cruises between 5-14 nights, final payment is due no later than 90 days prior to sail date-our cruise is 7 days).

But you made final payment 71 days prior to sailing, 19 days after the final payment deadline?

Edited by drsel

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

regarding our insurance, it was not a requirement when we first booked and MSC didn't raise an issue when our TA processed the final payment for us.

Just yesterday my TA made my final payment,  and MSC didn't raise any issue for me either, because I have not yet bought any insurance at all for my October Cruises.

11 minutes ago, drsel said:

The cost $100 or $150 has been removed now

Read the FAQ, that is where MSC gives you the option to split the coverage, not that it's a good deal though.

8 minutes ago, drsel said:

But you made final payment 71 days prior to sailing, 19 days after the final payment deadline?

I'd guess due to all these changes MSC has been giving people a little slack in the final payment area.

8 minutes ago, Até said:

Read the FAQ, that is where MSC gives you the option to split the coverage, not that it's a good deal though.

Yes, why would anyone pay $150 for only the covid-19 reassurance, when you can get the entire Travel Protection plan for the same price of $150 or maybe $175

24 minutes ago, drsel said:

In our case it was because we had an EARLIER booking that we then moved. Had we stuck with the MSC Virtuosa (changed to Seaview in May), I believe our final payment date for an August 29 cruise would have been 90 days (or maybe it was 60, I don't remember now-it was on the booking we made last year). In any case, we moved our FCC to a new booking for August 28, and final payment was due right away. It would be the same if you called MSC today and said "I want to sail next month." Final payment would be due immediately. There's nothing saying you CAN'T book after the 'final payment date.' People book last-minute cruises all the time.

I was sold insurance through Generali  or CSA by Vacations to go for my cruise in November since MSC does not sell insurance. It was very reasonable.

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

In our case it was because we had an EARLIER booking that we then moved. Had we stuck with the MSC Virtuosa (changed to Seaview in May), I believe our final payment date for an August 29 cruise would have been 90 days (or maybe it was 60, I don't remember now-it was on the booking we made last year). In any case, we moved our FCC to a new booking for August 28, and final payment was due right away. It would be the same if you called MSC today and said "I want to sail next month." Final payment would be due immediately. There's nothing saying you CAN'T book after the 'final payment date.' People book last-minute cruises all the time.

Thanks, so for your September 2021 cruise, the final payment date would have possibly been after 18th of June.

And since you changed to an earlier Cruise in August, you had to make the payment immediately

Thanks for clarifying!

I was wondering if MSC actually gives a lot of leeway.

5 minutes ago, duderest said:

I was sold insurance through Generali  or CSA by Vacations to go for my cruise in November since MSC does not sell insurance. It was very reasonable.

Don't worry if you are fully vaccinated and your cruise is sailing out of USA,  you don't need to buy any insurance from MSC.

Covid specific assurance is provided free of charge.

We were discussing the Travel Protection plan which is mandatory to buy for Cruises out of Europe only.

I was sold insurance through Generali  or CSA by Vacations to go for my cruise in November since MSC does not sell insurance. It was very reasonable. We leave from Barcelona. The insurance was not required. I simply wanted it for security.

22 minutes ago, duderest said:

Our insurance policy purchased from MSC is also issued by Generali. 

18 minutes ago, drsel said:

Thanks, so for your September 2021 cruise, the final payment date would have possibly been after 18th of June.

And since you changed to an earlier Cruise in August, you had to make the payment immediately

Thanks for clarifying!

I was wondering if MSC actually gives a lot of leeway.

Our cruise was for August 29, not September, but yes, when we moved our reservation to the new one (sailing August 28), the final payment was due that same day. 
I looked through my old emails and see we had booked on 4/28/2021, with a final payment due date of 5/31/2021. We let that date come and go because in the meantime, MSC changed our reservation to “NAR,” which effectively cancelled it. Then, June 18 we had our travel agent book the MSC Splendida for August 28. At that point we had to pay the balance. It’s a long story, but we’re happy to have a reservation. 

• Thanks 1