Distancing During Muster Drills ??

Rowsby

We were talking about our future cruises next year....and wondering if muster drills will be handled as before (being VERY close and personal)...

Or if they will have staggered times....possibly a different procedure....or something to facilitate social distancing...???

I do believe that you watch the safety drill on your TV, then go to your muster station and just have your card scanned. This avoids the crowds of the past.

We will find out how HAL will do this on July 24th, in Seattle.

• Like 4

There have been many discussions about "virtual drills" and am pretty sure HAL (and other cruise lines) are going that way.

With the Pinnacle class ships holding their musters in lounges and the MDR, crowding is nothing like the outside decks musters on the other ships, at least in our experience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Yeah, no one wants to be lugging their life preserver back and forth unnecessarily when we can watch the instructional video in our cabin and then check in at our must station.  That's how it is done on Princess.

You don’t take your life preserver on HAL muster drills.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Yeah, no one wants to be lugging their life preserver back and forth unnecessarily when we can watch the instructional video in our cabin and then check in at our must station.  That's how it is done on Princess.

Haven't taken life preservers to muster drills for years!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laminator said:

On the Pinnacle Class ships you can not watch anything on your TV until you watch the muster drill on it.

How can they tell that you were actually watching it while it ran? Or paying any attention to it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

How can they tell that you were actually watching it while it ran? Or paying any attention to it?

I guess they are assuming that intelligent people would want to know how to save thier own lives in an emergency. I have seen people chatting away and not paying the least bit of attenetion during the drill, and I've always thought they will be the first to run around frantically in an actual emergency, possibly endangering the lives of other. There's one in every crowd.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

I have seen people chatting away and not paying the least bit of attenetion during the drill, and I've always thought they will be the first to run around frantically in an actual emergency, possibly endangering the lives of other.

RC used to have highly regimented muster drills, with passengers lined up on deck in military formation and corrected by the crew if they talked, had headphones or earbuds, or seemed not to be paying attention. It was prudent to be among the last to arrive, to reduce the time that you had to stand in formation.

1 hour ago, BobbiSox said:

I guess they are assuming that intelligent people would want to know how to save thier own lives in an emergency. I have seen people chatting away and not paying the least bit of attenetion during the drill, and I've always thought they will be the first to run around frantically in an actual emergency, possibly endangering the lives of other. There's one in every crowd.

I wish it was just one.

• Like 3

I have watched you tube videos of  the few ships that have already sailed.  (Celebrity,  Royal,  Carnival)  They are all using the shipboard app on your smart phone.  You watch the safety video and once it is done it shows a barcode.  You walk to your muster station where there is someone with a handheld scanner to scan that barcode and you are done!   Everyone so far thinks its great!   you do it at you leisure once onboard the ship.  no crowds, no rushing around

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 4:49 AM, BobbiSox said:

I've always paid particular close attention to the part where they show you how to properly perform a "jump" into the water from the ship.  I don't really want to mess that up.  I mean, I hope to never ever ever have to do it, but when the time comes, I'm getting that right. lol

On 7/7/2021 at 4:49 AM, BobbiSox said:

It's the same people that will not get vaccinated.

Alan

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 4:18 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Yeah, that's a Princess thing.  I'm not aware of any other line....at least, not the big-name lines...that still require you take them to the muster.