WC dilemma - line vs itinerary?

bookbabe

Question for the more experienced WC folks out there…which is more important, the cruise line or the itinerary?

Would you rather have the absolute perfect world cruise itinerary on a cruise line that isn’t your first choice, or would you go with an only okay itinerary on your favourite cruise line?  Or would you wait however many years it takes to get the perfect world cruise itinerary on the perfect line?

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Question for the more experienced WC folks out there…which is more important, the cruise line or the itinerary?

Would you rather have the absolute perfect world cruise itinerary on a cruise line that isn’t your first choice, or would you go with an only okay itinerary on your favourite cruise line?  Or would you wait however many years it takes to get the perfect world cruise itinerary on the perfect line?

Thoughts?

An interesting question, which I will answer based on having completed 2 World Cruises and almost 40 yrs working at sea.

When asked about previous ships, many old seamen would indicate whether she was a good feeder, or not. Who was Captain, Chief Officer and ports of call were well down the list of memories. As a pax completing a WC, it can be anywhere from 3+ months to 8 months, which is a long time, with the ship effectively becoming your home away from home.

We have completed 2 WC, the first on Princess being terrible and the 2nd on Viking being amazing. With Princess, the ship resembled a Greek Tramp Ship, with plumbing leaks everywhere, the meals were terrible, entertainment terrible, Maitre'D & Chef hopeless, etc. The itinerary was excellent, but a great itinerary didn't make up for a dreadful ship.

Our second WC on Viking also had an amazing itinerary, but due to COVID, we missed most of the ports, spending almost 50 days at sea between Darwin & Gibraltar. Between those ports, we got ashore once in Bali. Fortunately the ship was brilliant and we had such a great cruise, we booked another Viking WC in 2023.

Since most cruise line vary WC itineraries, you should be able to find a preferred cruise line and then wait for the best itininerary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was fortunate.  My preferred cruise line, HAL, offered an exceptional itinerary to celebrate their Golden Anniversary in world cruising.  It was a unique HAL world cruise itinerary with port calls in Venice, Sochi, Sevestapol, Melbourne, Freemantle, Bermuda among others with a return to New York and ending in Fort Lauderdale.  

If one has a cruise line with which one is "comfortable" and has had lots of experience, that would be my first consideration.  To book a long cruise on a cruise line with which I have had no experience would be risky, I think.  I'd have to do much research regarding entertainment, menus/cuisine, service, the cruise line's experience with world cruising, etc. before I'd make a booking.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first world cruise is booked for 2023, after moving it from 2022.  While not an experienced world cruiser, I have some 50 cruises under my belt, the longest being 49 nights around South America. Cruise Critic has been a huge help when researching any cruise or cruise line. 

Conventional wisdom is to never book a world cruise on a line with which you have not traveled.  Having cruised with Princess many times, I might have booked my WC with Princess without a second thought and them had the same experience as Heidi13 above.

What I did was draw up a matrix with cruise lines offering world cruises and consider items that are important to me, such as wrap around promenades and guest laundromats.   I included itinerary considerations such as countries I had not been to before, balance of port days with sea days, adults only ships, and the cost per day for the cruise.  I also watched video tours of the ships and video reviews by passengers.

My cruise needs are pretty simple anymore: a comfortable cabin with passengers above, below and across the hall. wraparound promenade, guest laundry, several sea days in a row, some interesting guest lecturers, and a wee dram or two in the evening with some unamplified string or piano music.  I do not care to attend over-amplified shows in the theater or eat dinner in a loud MDR. 

In the end, I made a decision that I am excited about and looking forward to sailing around the world in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

May I ask which line you booked with?

In the end, I made a decision that I am excited about and looking forward to sailing around the world in 2023.