Jump to content

Polo shirts


 Share

Recommended Posts

That is all I pack for dining in the evening

 

During the day it is Tees or might even recycle the polo that I wore the a few days later or during the day depending on what I am doing.   Wearing a shirt for 5 hours or so after taking a shower and not doing anything strenuous doesn’t need to be washed again before wearing.   I have never had any complaints or people moving away from me.  
 

If someone notices they are paying too much attention to me and I don’t care.

 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 12:19 AM, markeb said:


True today. Polo players historically wore daily heavy weight cotton shirts with open collars. The players put buttons and button holes on them to keep the collars from flapping. Brooks Brothers decided to make a version in Oxford cloth with a button down collar..

 

Truly meaningless trivia, but sort of fun. But I’ve certainly worn short sleeve collared knit shirts pretty much any night on Celebrity!

So I looked it up because I was curious with nothing better to do.  A Polo shirt is slightly different from a Golf shirt.  Both have collars.  So are both allowed for dining?  Or just the Polo shirt?  Do people get confused and wear a Golf shirt thinking it is a Polo shirt?  LOL! 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So I looked it up because I was curious with nothing better to do.  A Polo shirt is slightly different from a Golf shirt.  Both have collars.  So are both allowed for dining?  Or just the Polo shirt?  Do people get confused and wear a Golf shirt thinking it is a Polo shirt?  LOL! 😀

I am pretty sure that I have golf shirts (even though I don't play golf) and not polo shirts.  My best guess on this confusing matter is that no one would know the difference.  I had a bunch of alligator on shirt jokes 20 or so years ago but have since forgotten them.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

 I had a bunch of alligator on shirt jokes 20 or so years ago but have since forgotten them.

Just as well, as they are crocodiles! 😇

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, xoxbear said:

Can my husband wear a polo shirt for dinner?  We have a 5 night Caribbean cruise booked on the Constellation in November.

LOL I just read your question to DH & he mumbled, 
"I better be able to wear a golf (polo) shirt to dinner or I can't go on a cruise..."😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TheGrandSnackoneer said:

Never knew they were called a polo neck, learned something new! I'm describing a different shirt entirely though but I think it's a golf shirt type thing. I've only rarely seen them as a fashion/non-sport shirt. This is what I mean (please ignore the model's face I have no clue what he's squinting at).ossaBJS_43bb4bd2-0b5f-4a7c-89d2-f88de0a9

 

All body types have their charms but this brings up a missed opportunity for the cruise spa to sell some manscaping services. "Get Your Deck Waxed" has a certain marketability to it.

 

That's called a henley.  (Henley refers more to the style of the neckline than to the actual shirt -- you can have a henley t-shirt or a henley sweater, for example).

 

From one who knows waaaaay too much about fashion terminology....

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Can one wear a sorta fuchsia/tangerine/lemon-lime colored polo/non-polo combo shirt w/ shortened shirt-sleeves, having a partial collar and button holes (missing some buttons, but by design), provided they 'feel' it's indeed chic?  

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Can I wear a sorta fuchsia/tangerine/lemon-lime colored polo/non-polo combo shirt w/ shortened short-sleeves, having a partial collar and button holes (missing some buttons, but by design)?  

Go for it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Can one wear a sorta fuchsia/tangerine/lemon-lime colored polo/non-polo combo shirt w/ shortened shirt-sleeves, having a partial collar and button holes (missing some buttons, but by design), provided they 'feel' it's indeed chic?  

Only if you pair them with harem capris. Entice 'em with an ankle but keep the kneecaps for yourself 😉. Really embrace the sea breeze.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, that should be fine. But, I always like to bring at lest a couple of long-sleeve button down dress shirts for Evening Chic.  Yes, shirts with patterns are ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Can one wear a sorta fuchsia/tangerine/lemon-lime colored polo/non-polo combo shirt w/ shortened shirt-sleeves, having a partial collar and button holes (missing some buttons, but by design), provided they 'feel' it's indeed chic?  

Absolutely NO--- By the time the Server ( he/she )  speaks to the Maitre'D  ( he/she ),  and then the Director of Food Services ( he/she ) , and then the Staff Captain ( he/she ) , and then the Hotel Mgr ( he/she ) and then , etc, etc and finally the Captain -------- Your food will be cold.

( I love that politically correct he/she stuff ).

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, Loracpin2 said:

I did.   Google this....polo ralph lauren polo soft touch short sleeve tee

The key word in this search result is "tee".  ALL polo shirts are collared. Ralph Lauren is known for his "Polo" branding.  But, we are both being silly arguing about a shirt.  Truce!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, opa&oma said:

The key word in this search result is "tee".  ALL polo shirts are collared. Ralph Lauren is known for his "Polo" branding.  But, we are both being silly arguing about a shirt.  Truce!

 

 

Truce!!

I just need to get back on a cruise ship. January 2022 can't get here soon enough for 12 nighter on the Equinox. But biggest will be next July celebrating our 55th Anniversary with our entire Family!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Truce!!

I just need to get back on a cruise ship. January 2022 can't get here soon enough for 12 nighter on the Equinox. But biggest will be next July celebrating our 55th Anniversary with our entire Family!!! 

 I feel the same!  I am ready to go anywhere, any ship, anytime!  We'll be on the Equinox, 12 nights, September 26.   Counting the days. If you're not already planning it, I highly recommend doing the renewal of vows ceremony with the Captain. They make it very, very special.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 7:36 PM, xoxbear said:

Can my husband wear a polo shirt for dinner?  We have a 5 night Caribbean cruise booked on the Constellation in November.

We are on the same cruise. This will be the shortest cruise that we have taken. I figuring it will be more casual. My husband usually wears a suit for formal nights but I don’t think he is even bringing one for this cruise. He will probably wear a dress shirt and slacks. I usually wear a dress because my dresses do not have to be ironed.  We keep saying that we are going to pack less - we’ll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, opa&oma said:

 I feel the same!  I am ready to go anywhere, any ship, anytime!  We'll be on the Equinox, 12 nights, September 26.   Counting the days. If you're not already planning it, I highly recommend doing the renewal of vows ceremony with the Captain. They make it very, very special.

We renewed our vows for our 50th at Church and the following week took everyone on a cruise on the Anthem of the Seas (knew the grandchildren would have more fun) to celebrate 50 years. After the past year everyone had, we decided let's celebrate 55 (no vow renewal this time) on the Oasis!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, NMTraveller said:

I am pretty sure we wash them in fresh water and not salt water.  Therefore alligators 🙂

Sorry, I have trouble letting things like this stand in case someone believes this is the difference. Some crocs live in fresh water (Nile crocodiles, for example, or the Australian Freshie, for another) and some live in saltwater (Salties, for example). Alligators are less tolerant of saltwater so tend to be found in fresh water. Neither of them are fond of polo shirts because they have trouble reaching the buttons and would not be welcome in the MDR.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

Neither of them are fond of polo shirts because they have trouble reaching the buttons and would not be welcome in the MDR.

 

Truth.  Albert the Alligator usually wears a turtleneck.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

 

Truth.  Albert the Alligator usually wears a turtleneck.

How did turtles get into this discussion? 🤷‍♂️

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 7:22 AM, dkjretired said:

Absolutely not, hasn’t applied ship wide in at least 15 years: Evening Chic applies only to the MDR, not Specialties, Blu or Luminae.  You will see many in the rest of the ship in shorts and t shirts, etc.

And....

it only applies IF you choose to participate. Strictly voluntary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sascol said:

Strictly voluntary. 

Really ???  Says Who ???  All you have to do is read the Guidelines that the Company requests .

It's not a " power play " --- as that BS some folks post -- It's to maintain a bit of decorum on a few nights of the cruise.

And, I doubt anyone would go into any other restaurant on board wearing tshirts, flip flops, shorts at dinner on any night during the cruise. 

Maybe we should move on from the same old crap about dress codes ???

( Save your replies about Bye Bye etc  ) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, cruisemom42 said:

 

That's called a henley.  (Henley refers more to the style of the neckline than to the actual shirt -- you can have a henley t-shirt or a henley sweater, for example).

 

From one who knows waaaaay too much about fashion terminology....

 

Interesting...This is clearly being marketed as a "golf shirt"

Most golf courses require a collared shirt...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...