The Daily for Wednesday Jul 07, 2021

Posted (edited)

Thanks Rich for providing my Daily bread.

I was so happy @DeeniEncinitas Denise replied and is having a blast on their wilderness experience. You have a fabulous life with David, Shawn and Paisley.  Happy Birthday July 10th! Allen's is the 14th.

Wishing Ann an awesome trip. Hoping you can squeeze in a picture while you are away.

Roy, behave yourself at Rehab this morning. Hopefully you'll get a great PT person who can work with you to your satisfaction. 

Praying for Sam today and every day and his caregivers. 

Had a great day with our friends visiting. Out to lunch, drove Elvis around for a beautiful evening. Saw several baby fawns with mama..

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

image.png.94d06ec3fb43164d452689e7e00bccde.png

image.png.17c96c812853cc48eb6ffd7328c0e71b.png

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 19
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

When I got home Ashlee, the queen of the house, yelled at me because dinner wasn’t served at 2.  She will need to adjust to going back to pre pandemic feeding times.

I am still technically barred from my office until 2:00 p.m.--the idea was to limit the number of employees in the building at one time--but sometimes work at home all day. Sasha wants her dinner the moment she wakes up in the afternoon, and makes her dissatisfaction clear if I wasn't there to serve it. From a cat's point of view, the service in this establishment is terrible, just terrible.

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

Good Morning Everyone from a very rainy day at the beach

We are on the east coast of Florida and the storm stayed mostly on the West coast. So we are all fine, just soggy. No water aerobics today!

Been to Barbados but it has been awhile. Love dark chocolate. Dont care for milk or the white.

@cat shepardHave a wonderful trip. Will be looking forward to your review on your return. Iceland is on my list!

@rafinmdBest of luck with your new therapy. Hope all goes well.

@mamaofamiThinking of you. Hope you all get the support you need. It is a very frustrating process.

@dfish Safe travels home today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 17

Morning everyone!  It's probably too late for @cat shepardto read this but have a wonderful trip to Iceland!  I am virtually jumping up and down in excitement for you!!  I can't wait to hear all about it.

Nice group of days today.  I LOVE chocolate day!  Forgiveness is a good trait.  Father and daughter take a walk together day is heartwarming.  Yesterday when I returned from the ladies luncheon DH was talking to DD on the phone and they were having a nice chat, so that will have to do since we are 500 miles apart.

The ladies luncheon was good and I got to chat with many neighbors I hadn't even had the privilege of meeting before.  The barbecue caterer had cancelled on the hostess the day before the luncheon (!) so a couple of the ladies went to Sam's Club to get pulled pork, soft rolls, cole slaw, baked beans and cupcakes, all of which were delicious!  After the luncheon when I arrived home to DH on the phone with DD, there was an ambulance at our neighbor's house.  He is the one DH helps out with taking his mail up to the house and taking the trash bin up and down the steep driveway once a week.  While we were out of town recently we enlisted another neighbor to do that job.  When we returned home DH phoned the disabled neighbor to let him know we were back.  He said while we were away he had fallen in his garage two times and was pretty much bedridden or in his case "recliner chair ridden".  We asked what we could do for him and he said family members had been coming by to bring him food, etc.  I still think a 75 year old man who is disabled and now bedridden should not be living alone.  His wife won't live with him anymore because she wants him to sell the house and move to an apartment in another town.  I'm not sure what happened to our neighbor to warrant an ambulance but a home nurse was at the house at the time this happened, and when the ambulance left with him in it, it was in no hurry.  I just hope he is okay and that things work out for him and his wife and family.  What a mess!!  

@mamaofamiI am so sorry to hear of Sam's fall yesterday!  It's good that help is on the way, and we all pray that Sam's remaining recovery is uneventful and safe.

@dfishhave a nice trip home.  Even though you had a wonderful time with your family, it is always good to get back to your own home after time spent away.  The menu item looked good today.  We always enjoy stuffed peppers but DH doesn't have that dish in his recipe file.  If I want stuffed peppers I have to make a request and then assist him with it.  I don't mind at all, and the more often we make it together the easier it is for him to do on his own if he wishes to.  Since he retired, cooking is his job.  He needs a purpose every day and that is it!

@aliaschiefglad you're having fun with DGD, and I know how tiring young ones can be.  Ours are all older than that age so the "running us ragged" stage is over, thank goodness.

We went to Bridgetown, Barbados in 2015 on Ruby Princess circumnavigating South America from Ft. Lauderdale.  I took a tour that day and enjoyed it as I recall.  If I have time I will look for some photos of the places I toured.  I have a doctor appointment for prescription refill in a little while so not sure about timing yet.  

Good luck @rafinmdtoday with your first therapy appointment.  It should be helpful.

• Like 21

Good morning everyone!

Love chocolate - actually I've always said that the bottom layer of the healthy food pyramid should be chocolate!!

@cat shepardhave a wonderful time on your trip - we'll be in Iceland next year, so looking forward to your photos/information.

@mamaofamiso sorry to hear of Sam's fall at home.  Hoping the aides/nurses/PT will all be able to work together and help with his recovery.  Thank goodness for your wonderful children!

@rafinmdhoping your rehab goes well.  After my son (37 years old at the time) had congestive heart failure, he went to cardiac rehab for a couple of months, and he felt it helped him a lot.

Hoping everyone has a good day (take care, Floridians in the path of Elsa!).  Stay safe so we can get on our BHBs again soon!

Laura

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I am still technically barred from my office until 2:00 p.m.--the idea was to limit the number of employees in the building at one time--but sometimes work at home all day. Sasha wants her dinner the moment she wakes up in the afternoon, and makes her dissatisfaction clear if I wasn't there to serve it. From a cat's point of view, the service in this establishment is terrible, just terrible.

I wouldn’t get good reviews from my cats.  They deny that they are spoiled.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

We visited Barbados in December 2019 while on the Koningsdam, our last cruise before everything closed down.  We took an afternoon tour that was an overview of the island.

B970BCED-3B4E-4B72-8B11-6ADE7853130E.thumb.jpeg.2e8cf3833f7addf7233288e1458a2421.jpeg

DB34B914-1BDB-46BA-A64F-1B990B61B47D.thumb.jpeg.10c41609ef8a6dc3c9099439e8f3226c.jpeg

83D67341-9689-4DFA-ADD6-058BD50B4CA5.thumb.jpeg.80cfc700ccb223045d86eb4fc7d350b7.jpeg

90DDF480-F2A9-4E88-BB79-8452ADC65585.thumb.jpeg.ec7e28b9a2565cbdce7147a90a1b8f9c.jpeg

7A124B65-1D98-4C60-8859-6A23D42F06B6.thumb.jpeg.3a5949bebacb87f04d072bb6d7cca770.jpeg

6A0D2FDF-74FE-4D48-B69F-CF78D8606D30.thumb.jpeg.dcc29c87c58425e706e2eabc7d51923b.jpeg

B7BA7AF7-884F-4CF8-88C4-166EDCFE5B45.thumb.jpeg.ea1dfebcfbd0b92f3ff75889e74d8488.jpeg

64A7D9D8-06BB-4EFC-8FA5-C130424B7EF8.thumb.jpeg.c488e3a9f978b5eefffc54a9dda85800.jpeg

642AD5C7-444E-440B-9D51-63CD26E76B6B.thumb.jpeg.3d4e2df7fb679e59bcbdc492323429ab.jpeg

F14B1915-76D2-4F58-A477-484AFC27F876.thumb.jpeg.03f00776cdba0ca83eac4b4d8196c47d.jpeg

2DD87F80-96D6-4087-87CB-7857B2A82B1F.thumb.jpeg.8f12a7855b5a7ccdcc0f26d3b80a91fa.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  @richwmn, you had me at chocolate!  Forgiveness is important to one's mental health; forgetting is another thing altogether.  I'd love to be able to take a walk with my dad again, as I'm sure others would enjoy their chance to do the same with their dads.  

Great quote for today, but most toasters seem programmed to stop working a day or two after the guarantee date.  The only things that keep running are those ugly old green or harvest gold refrigerators - they never die!  LOL

@cat shepard wishing you a safe and wonderful trip!

@St. Louis Salgood luck with your trial follow-up!

@rafinmd good luck starting your rehab, and sending good vibes to the young scout with his medical issues.

@mamaofami I'm glad to hear Sam is home, but upset to hear of his fall.  Hopefully the aides will be able to give him the care he needs to successfully recuperate at home and you'll be able to get some much needed rest.

Another beautiful day on the "frozen tundra" - yesterday we had some gentle rain showers, while others had downpours, and even huge amounts of hail a few hours from here.  There were tornado warnings for an area about 6 hours away, but thankfully, they didn't materialize.  DH has decided today will be tree trimming day, so we'll spend a good part of the day cutting back branches so our yard doesn't look like the trees are taking over.  

I really like today's menu suggestion, but we were at Costco the other day and picked up a couple of packages of dill pickle kale salad, to which will be added a can of salmon, served with fresh cheese croissants (to be picked up later today).  And wine.  And maybe chocolate.Chocolate.thumb.jpg.dcfa534f1b26c894f62c5ab3957fb3bb.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 23

My tour in Bridgetown took me many places for a good overall view of the area.  First we went to Gun Hill Signal Station, a military outpost built in 1818 that once served as a lookout for approaching ships.  enhance

enhance

The buildings have been restored by the National Trust.  You could see all the other signal stations from here.enhance

In the distance are the cruise ships in port.enhance

Next we stopped at Orchid World for a very informal look at the local orchids as well as other plants such as the poinsettia bush.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Last we visited Sunbury Plantation, a beautifully restored monument to plantation life of a bygone era.  We were told the walls were two feet deep helping to keep it cool inside.  enhance

enhance

enhance

Some of those thick wallsenhance

enhance

Outside we were given a demonstration on how to make rum punch and cod fish cakes.  We had plenty of samples and everyone had a good, old time!enhance

enhance

enhance

Cod fish cakesenhance

Heading back to the ship we passed all the sugar cane fields and a rum distillery.  Barbados rum is known worldwide.enhance

enhance

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily.

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Elsa has passed us. It is now centered about 200 miles north of us. As it passed us (keeping out to sea) we kept getting warnings of high wind gusts, Storm Surge and possible tornades. Thankfully, none of those things happend (at least not in our immediate area) We had very little wind but quite a bit of rain. In fact, we are still experiencing rain bands with heavy downpours. In the last 24 hours we have had 6.5 inches of rain and it is still raining. Some roads and low-lying areas are flooded but we have made it through without any difficulties.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Off to town to get groceries before it gets too hot. I will catch up with the pictures on my return. I once was given about 80 bell peppers. I spent the whole day stuffing and baking them, then froze them. It was fun to go out to the freezer and get some out for company or a quick dinner for the next year. My heart breaks for some of my Daily family having a hard time. Prayers to all. 

• Like 17

I've been back from rehab for a while now.  There was 20 minutes on the treadmill and 20 on the stationary bike.  It was not bad but I didn't see anything more valuable than the walking I've been doing on a daily basis or better yet on the promenade deck of a BHB.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

😯Watching news about how Elsa has been downgraded to a tropical storm now. Stay safe Florida! 

👍Thank You Rich @richwmn for The Daily and to Roy @rafinmdfor both the Care and Celebration Lists. 

Roy...maybe your PT will increase your times and speed on machines?🤔

We have visited Barbados many times and usually just go to the Boatyard Beach but with Viking 🚢we took their tour ~~bought a bottle of Mount Gay Rum in the terminal.. Looking forward to being back in the Caribbean in December!😎

Carol @mamaofami...sorry to hear of Sam's fall! 

Ann @cat shepard...have a great time in Iceland. Safe travels for @dfish on your drive home.

Leonidas is my favorite chocolate!😉

🙏Prayers for all in need and thank you to all who contribute to this site.

Katie

• Like 15

Posted (edited)

Good Morning All,

And happy late Wednesday. Somehow I managed to sleep in. Was awake at 4:00 when a garbage truck started it’s route early to make up for the holiday (it was the “peacock cry” sounds the truck was making that woke me up), and the next thing I knew was it was 7:30. Somehow I lost a few hours….

Will celebrate Chocolate Day by making a chocolate cake with cherries and another batch of Cherry Garcia gelato. DH made a point to let me know we had run out.

@mamaofami Sorry to hear about your DH’s fall. Hopefully he will gain lots of strength soon and be able to get around well on his own soon

@cat shepard Safe travels to you, and thank you for the script. You have made it so much easier. I’m barely a red wine drinker, much less an expert. Have a great time on your trip!

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I wouldn’t get good reviews from my cats.  They deny that they are spoiled.

Our Golden, who has earned his nickname “His Nibs”, would say the same of me. And, no, he is not spoiled (he says); he is entitled.

965C385A-364C-4FA0-98EB-18C51211EE5C.jpeg

4869A20D-CE0C-4ED6-AC66-BB941053456E.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 20
  • Haha 1

We were in Bridgetown once in the spring of 2019 on the Koningsdam. That was our last cruise before the pandemic hit! We are looking forward to visiting again in the spring of 2022 on the Nieuw Statendam. 

DSC_1069.thumb.JPG.02a79a5d948522d7056012fbeba7552f.JPG29626450_DSC_1110(2).thumb.JPG.2a928fd42830f76b4f4d94febbe5d9ce.JPGDSC_1120.thumb.JPG.90b79e9655153cb090310d1f23e67c9f.JPGDSC_1080.thumb.JPG.c005ec7c2c9f8fcd758b964668551b7e.JPG1879360634_DSC_1096(2).thumb.JPG.bcaf3219c940430ce27dd738dfded13e.JPGDSC_1091.thumb.JPG.8b55bbf895144ba4b3d335156b6d66a8.JPG1575304087_DSC_1131(2).thumb.JPG.5c7e912ba274b0367425c0dc7c16c0ac.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

You had me at chocolate too.  Even if it's just a square of dark chocolate from the bars I keep in the pantry.   😉  Forgiveness is so important, and I would love to be able to take a walk with my Dad too.  Love stuffed peppers!  We have them often, similar to this recipe, except I add a few more chopped/grated veggies and since DH doesn't care for green peppers, we always have red, yellow or orange.

We've been to Bridgetown once, I found my photos, and then see that we did the same thing that @StLouisCruisersdid so I won't bore with more of the same photos!  I will add that "Lucy and Ethel" were a riot at the rum tasting -- they were quite the comedy team!

@cat shepardsafe travels!!  So excited for you.

@mamaofamiprayers for an uneventful recovery for Sam and that you get all the help you need.

@dfishsafe drive home!

@StLouisCruisers I hope your neighbor is ok -- it must have been distressing to see the ambulance.  Please let us know.

Today I'm going to have lunch with my best friend (since 4th grade) to celebrate her birthday early. Unless we're cruising, we usually are able to celebrate our birthdays close to or on our birthdays, but this month we'll be having  the grandsons for most of the last half of this month.  (I'm Nana too!) It looks like we'll have a nice cool'ish day (low 70's) for our post-lunch walk.  Will have to celebrate chocolate day with a chocolate dessert!

• Like 16

Good morning.  Happy Wednesday.

Another marine layer today, and stronger, the wind picked up and burn off won't be until afternoon, that means a very pleasant and comfortable sunny day in Washington, and from the look of the long term forecast, this might continue through the end of the month, mild temps are good for fire season.

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  Be safe, all that are traveling.

Stuffed peppers was the dish I made in my home economics class, I remember getting an A.  Do they even still have those classes?  Haven't heard them talked about in years.  

Love chocolate.  And one of the best desserts I ever had was a sugar free mousse on the Westerdam about 15 years ago. 

Mousse.thumb.jpg.3e239a9e0a5c477baa742237e885278d.jpg

Have a great day everybody!

• Like 16

Good morning, all! What a lovely set of days. Rich, you had me at chocolate! Forgiveness is good for the soul, even if it is hard to forgive someone who takes your chocolate. How I would love to take a walk with my father again, and not just because he  used to buy me chocolate. Some day I will try a Mexican version of stuffed peppers incorporating Molé sauce, which is chocolate based. I have been to Bridgetown, Barbados on the Princendam. It was a lovely stop. I seem to recall that chocolate is one of the crops there. Unfortunately, my pictures are on a hard drive somewhere, so I can’t share any right now.

It is nice and cool here today, breezy and overcast with a forecast night of 24 C. Tomorrow it warms up again. Today is a day to make shepherds pie and a few other things to serve when the heat hits again. Yesterday we bought four hanging baskets that were looking a little heat stressed at a clearance sale. Then we found my favourite roadside vendor, who usually doesn’t set up until later in the summer. He had a gorgeous selection of hanging baskets for $10 each, the same price as the heat stressed ones we had just bought. Oh well. So now I have seven hanging baskets.
Now I must go - for some reason I’m craving a piece of chocolate.😉

A few of the hanging baskets hiding from the heat while they wait to go to Salt Spring.

14490EDC-B7B6-4997-96DE-E9DEB806E41A.thumb.jpeg.cecb12bd7fe14a5f7b8e8b91acf642cf.jpeg

Meanwhile the banana plant is going crazy. It is bigger now than it was in August last year. Although the root is perennial, the stalk above ground is annual.

98FA7925-8EBD-4710-8ED5-D00FAC03915F.thumb.jpeg.8941a8d0a242ef0185d5e25e3a673e43.jpeg

Happy Wednesday, and hoping those facing the remnants of Elsa stay safe. If only you could be elsewhere on a BHB!

2B1C6D21-658B-469C-9EE6-647BB6F13067.thumb.jpeg.dc4dd765e2d6424a6128b694dcef0911.jpeg

• Like 19

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

On early before heading to the airport. 

I probably missed you but wanted to say have a great trip!!  And make sure to post pictures when you can. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A great combination of days! If course any combination that includes chocolate is lovely!

On early before heading to the airport. The rain has not started here yet. A very slight breeze. Hope everyone to the South & West of me are handling the storm well. The NHC said the Tampa/St Pete area might get 6-10 inches! @TiogaCruiser, Laura will be your sommelier for awhile. I know some of the wines were difficult to get info about. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Vignobles Brumont 2016 Château Bouscassé (Madiran) Southwest France

This red blend from the South of France sounds amazing. And a very reasonable price from several online distributors starting at $19.99! This one is going on my list. 

WE93 A big and full flavoured South West France red with a welcoming approachability. Alain Brumont is one of the top wine producers in this corner of Gascony and has contributed more to Madiran than argubly anyone else in recent decades. This flagship cuvée from the Bouscassé estate comprises 50% Tannat and 50% Cabernet making it possibly a bit more open and early drinking than Château Montus, his other Madiran estate. On the palate is a collection of black fruits, cassis, cloves, cedar, lavender and savoury notes that provide a real treat for the tongue.It's best decanted a short while before drinikng and is a really good wine now, but will also keep well for a few years yet.

Winemaker notes

Tannat, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet Franc vines from 20 to 100 years-old. Terroir of fine yellow and white variegated clays on a layer of fissured limestone. Sustainable agriculture, natural compost. Vinification and Maturing: 3 to 6 weeks in 30-50% new oak barrels.

Alain Brumont took over the little family wine estate, Chateau Bouscassé, in 1979, then purchased Chateau Montus to create the wine of his dreams. He constructed his first underground cellars at Bouscassé in 1988, then the new Chateau Montus cellars in 1995. By 2003, the chateau had been renovated to receive seminars and special events. In 1990 he discovered the ideal stretch of land that would become a world-renowned icon: La Tyre. Alain has been voted best French winemaker and, at the international level, the producer of one of the ten finest wines in the world. Offering the perfect balance of quality and value, Southwest France is a recognized appellation that encompasses all wine regions in France’s southwestern corner (except for Bordeaux and Cognac, which merit their very own). Two of the more famous subregions here are Cahors, known for its Malbec, and Madiran, home of the robust Tannat grape. Bordeaux Blends are also popular red wines of the Southwest. You get the power and intensity of a Bordeaux wine without the hefty price!

I’ll have missed you by miles, but if you check in later, have a wonderful time!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Meanwhile the banana plant is going crazy. It is bigger now than it was in August last year.

Wow!  That’s amazing!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday. I am at the hospital waiting for my DM’s procedure to be done. When it’s over she has to have an X-ray to make sure there is no bleeding and then to recovery. So I’ll probably be here another few hours. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. @rafinmd, you are probably one of the fittest cardiac rehab patients they have ever seen. 

Chocolate is a love but I don’t like it too sweet. Forgiveness can bring you peace. Fathers and daughters seem to always have a special bond. 

We have been to Barbados but it was a long time ago on the Volendam in 2000. I believe we went to the same plantation that @StLouisCruisersdid but had lunch in the courtyard, and we didn’t go to the other places. I wish I had taken better notes back then. 

I love stuffed peppers but haven’t made them in a long time. The one posted is close to the my DM used to make. I have her old recipe file and her recipe is really vague. 🤔 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 13