The Daily for Wednesday Jul 07, 2021

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Vignobles Brumont 2016 Château Bouscassé (Madiran) Southwest France

7 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Vignobles Brumont 2016 Château Bouscassé (Madiran) Southwest France

This red blend from the South of France sounds amazing. And a very reasonable price from several online distributors starting at $19.99! This one is going on my list. 

WE93 A big and full flavoured South West France red with a welcoming approachability. Alain Brumont is one of the top wine producers in this corner of Gascony and has contributed more to Madiran than argubly anyone else in recent decades. This flagship cuvée from the Bouscassé estate comprises 50% Tannat and 50% Cabernet making it possibly a bit more open and early drinking than Château Montus, his other Madiran estate. On the palate is a collection of black fruits, cassis, cloves, cedar, lavender and savoury notes that provide a real treat for the tongue.It's best decanted a short while before drinikng and is a really good wine now, but will also keep well for a few years yet.

Winemaker notes

Tannat, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet Franc vines from 20 to 100 years-old. Terroir of fine yellow and white variegated clays on a layer of fissured limestone. Sustainable agriculture, natural compost. Vinification and Maturing: 3 to 6 weeks in 30-50% new oak barrels.

Alain Brumont took over the little family wine estate, Chateau Bouscassé, in 1979, then purchased Chateau Montus to create the wine of his dreams. He constructed his first underground cellars at Bouscassé in 1988, then the new Chateau Montus cellars in 1995. By 2003, the chateau had been renovated to receive seminars and special events. In 1990 he discovered the ideal stretch of land that would become a world-renowned icon: La Tyre. Alain has been voted best French winemaker and, at the international level, the producer of one of the ten finest wines in the world. Offering the perfect balance of quality and value, Southwest France is a recognized appellation that encompasses all wine regions in France’s southwestern corner (except for Bordeaux and Cognac, which merit their very own). Two of the more famous subregions here are Cahors, known for its Malbec, and Madiran, home of the robust Tannat grape. Bordeaux Blends are also popular red wines of the Southwest. You get the power and intensity of a Bordeaux wine without the hefty price!

The Bouscasse is a terrific wine at that price point.  Attention Costco shoppers, I have purchased Bouscasse at my local store.

Heads up, however.  As you can see today's wine has a high Tannat content--as is typical of wines from the Madiran region.  Tannat wines come with a lot of tannin.  This seems to be true of Tannat-based wines from Uruguay where the grape is widely grown and most California example. where just about every grape is grown somewhere and some winemaker will use those grapes to produce a varietal bottling.  If tannin puckeriness is off-putting to you, you might want to avoid them.

With one exception--Neil Collins makes a terrific Tannat at his Lone Madrone Winery in Paso Robles.  I could not believe how easy that wine was to drink.

• Like 13

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm "Nanna" too!  Sidekick is Bobba.  Have fun!!  But yes to the sea day!    😍

Also Nana, Papa here understand the need for the sea day.  

We will just have to be content with paddle boats and lakes instead of seas!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13

Posted (edited)

Good day and thanks all!  We’ve visited Barbados too, but I don’t have any easily accessible  photos.  

Carol, hope things start to improve!  So sorry this is such a tough journey! 

We had lots of heavy rain and thunderstorms, dragged all the pots undercover at almost midnight,  and it didn’t come!  Oh well plants are recovering! 

We saw some unusual white wild roses in bloom and flax last evening in the park.

FE8DCB17-24A4-4674-892E-9306F9C63F37.jpeg

DCC0C4E7-0F55-449D-B540-EDBEDDA7C94E.jpeg

16584143-EE6C-4052-9A07-FAF68BCEC510.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20

Well we saw plenty of dolphins and granddaughter loved going fast in the 700HP boat but lost it when we hit the waves! 😱Enjoyed looking at the alligators but waiting times over an hour and a half brought us home for lunch.

Gulf was a little rough but Elsa is pretty Far East of us.

The Beach and resorts are maxed out with tourist.

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

The CC gremlins just struck.  I was almost finished with my post and it disappeared.  I'll try again.

I'm late today, as I wanted to get the outside work done before it got too hot and humid.  Then DH wanted to take me out for breakfast, nothing fancy just McDs drive-thru, followed by a drive aournd the lake.  It was a nice break after the last two days.   Now, everyting outside is back in its place, and we can get into the storeroom again.  And everything is clean -- for awhile.

Like others, I could have stopped with CHOCOLATE!  I am a confirmed, unabashed chocaholic with no plans to reform.  My predference is dark chocolate, but...  I draw the line at white chocolate, as I don't consider it real chocolate since it just contains cocoa butter, but not the solids.  @kazu  I love the chocolate meme and @Seasick Sailor, Joy, if my jeans said eat salad not chocolate and wine, I'd get new jeans.🤣

Forgiveness day is good, but sometimes it is easier said than done.  As with so many other Dailyites, I'd love another walk with my father.

I think Clint Eastwood's quote must have been about our toaster.  It was a wedding present 54 years ago this September, and it is still working perfectly.

It has been decades since i made stuffed peppers as I did not care for the green peppers.  Now, I try them some night with green peppers for DH and red peppers for me.  The wine might be nice, but I'll pass on the drink as it has gin in it.

@cat shepard  Hope your flight went well, and enjoy beautiful Iceland.

@mamaofami  Carol, how awful that Sam fell when he got home.  Hopefully, things will improve and the home health care and therapy will help him get stronger.  So glad your DD and DS are there to help get things organized.  Take care of yourself.

@DeeniEncinitas  An early HAPPY BIRTHDAY,  and enjoy your adventure.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad the rehab session was not too horrible.

@TiogaCruiser Thanks for filling in for @cat shepard with the wine review.

@grapau27  I'll take any leftover samples.  🤣

@dfish Safe travels, Debbie.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, hope your power is back on by now.  DH worked for the power company right out of college, and said it was unusual for 4 transformers to blow at once.  He said the probable cause was an overload.

@aliaschief  Glad you sea day was good if a bit rough..

@StLouisCruisers  Sorry about your neighbor.  Hope it wasn't serious.

@St. Louis Sal  Hope your drug trial follow-up showed good results.

Hope everyhone in the path of Elsa stays safe.

We have been to Barbados many times, with the most recent being on the Ruby Princess in 2015, the same cruise as @StLouisCruisers, Sandi.  I'll have to go through my picutres to see if I can find any that are different.  Many of my pictures are pre-digital.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17

We have had four visits to Barbados on four very different ships.  The first was in January, 2007, on Sea Princess.  This was a 14 day cruise, where passengers boarded in FL or Barbados, so quite a nice mix of US and UK.  Our second time was on Prinsendam, in 2011, the third on Noordam, in 2013, and most recent in 2018, on Koningsdam.

We’re going to be very busy as our DS and DGS are flying here, tomorrow from Seattle!  They will head back Monday driving our second car, which we no longer need and will belong to our DGS. It will be so nice to be with them, but we will be together again in August.

• Like 16

I have been to Barbados a total of 6 times, disembarking there from a Wind Star Transatlantic in 2009.  In 2012 it was a port of call on my nephew's wedding cruise on the Celebrity Summit.  At that time I got my first look at the updated version of my all time favorite BHB the Prinsendam, just sporting her new Canaletto addition"

newlido.JPG.80ed28fb927234c78cef2050f8b39370.JPG

On that visit I also got my first look at the then new blue HAL tote bags.  While the old canvas ones were far more sturdy, the blue ones really looked sharp.

About a year later I returned on the Prinsendam, on the way back from the Amazon Explorer.  I had booked a Segway tour to the coast:

onboard.jpg

Here's one of the stops looking out on the coast:

stop4.jpg

I returned on the Amsterdam in 2014, disembarked the Wind Star that year after another transatlantic, and most recently on the Prinsendam in 2019,

Roy

• Like 20

Here in North Central Florida - Elsa will still be affecting us for another couple of hours as rain bands - but the wind is strong and the rain plentiful. 

Hardly any reports of lost power, but our rivers were already close to flood stage and we really didn't need more rain on our already saturated ground. The sandy soil does absorb it pretty quickly, but it was already well watered, slowing the process.

Best wishes for those north of us as Elsa moves your way.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

Here in North Central Florida - Elsa will still be affecting us for another couple of hours as rain bands - but the wind is strong and the rain plentiful. 

Hardly any reports of lost power, but our rivers were already close to flood stage and we really didn't need more rain on our already saturated ground. The sandy soil does absorb it pretty quickly, but it was already well watered, slowing the process.

Best wishes for those north of us as Elsa moves your way.

Not nice but it could have been a lot worse.

Roy

• Like 7

I only found pictures from our 2000 world cruise on P&O Oriana and the 2015 Ruby Princess.  I'll try not to repeat any pictures.  We had been to Barbados several times before 2000 on various ships and cruise lines, including two calls on 1998 on the Ryndam.  Each time, we've rented cars are visited various places on the island.  We have always enjoyed our visits to Barbados.

First a look at the port. There was a nice shopping comlex at the port.

DSC02134.thumb.JPG.3587de7a0291aea611dbf85fdaedc427.JPG

In 2015, we took the tour through Harrison's Cave.  These are of the complex looking down from the top of the cliff and the elevators to reach the complex.  I'll not repeat any pictures of the caves.

DSC02136.thumb.JPG.aca76d50fed5a836dcafbb0cf00351e7.JPG

DSC02172.thumb.JPG.7685350274def087865b1113adf2e826.JPG

We also stopped at Animal Flower Caves on the northern tip of the island in 2015.  Since we'd toured the caves, which are partially open to the ocean, with our DDs in 1998, we did not go back down.  These pictures are of the restaurant, the sea cliffs and the engrance to the caves.

DSC02176.thumb.JPG.33fb57080292b131f36e8ca4e8bb3e4d.JPG

DSC02177.thumb.JPG.8735fbf2e4bcd2add52d01ee794b8961.JPG

DSC02178.thumb.JPG.adfa986f66b58f427c4a424acb4583cc.JPG

DSC02180.thumb.JPG.7223d56a25dcd85adb3be31aeb739508.JPG

A nice beach

DSC02181.thumb.JPG.d897bac66e6ee8f614d3418f8c988f5d.JPG

In 2000, we stopped at St. Nicholas Abbey, and old plantation house.

P1140080.thumb.JPG.728e7dae8e98ef8d2779998a50873300.JPG

P1140082.thumb.JPG.32d9e9823dcad31408042f94388c2c61.JPG

P1140083.thumb.JPG.b2a801c6199d7f059b7edb0fbc295580.JPG

For the Garden Club, one of the flowers in the Abbey's garden

P1140081.thumb.JPG.b3713baba3ae3b276432ff58fbb30eed.JPG

A street scene in Bridgetown

DSC02184.thumb.JPG.ebb6c72c39a528701fedcaf3f96097bd.JPG

In 2000, at the suggestion of the cruise staff, we stopped at the Boatyard Beach Club, and enjoyed a beer.

P1140085.thumb.JPG.01a243a5029480cfb7b8df29ef03615f.JPG

P1140086.thumb.JPG.98fe366d0d6a8a0016f50b013667e88b.JPG

P1140089.thumb.JPG.5771bafe25bf737088cf60e7fe4cf2e4.JPG

Lenda

• Like 22

This one's for the HAL Garden Club - I'll be the first to admit I have a brown thumb when it comes to plants, but I've had kalanchoe over the years, and after having their sweet little rosebud type blossoms, they quietly die on me.  I'm used to it.   This year, however, I've got one that has simply exploded!  I don't know if it's the super hot temperatures on the deck, combined with the fact that I've kept it well watered (you're not supposed to do that with succulents), or we've just got a unicorn here.  Your thoughts?

Flower.JPG.1882421206d03155877c5b6cfac58393.JPG

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

This one's for the HAL Garden Club - I'll be the first to admit I have a brown thumb when it comes to plants, but I've had kalanchoe over the years, and after having their sweet little rosebud type blossoms, they quietly die on me.  I'm used to it.   This year, however, I've got one that has simply exploded!  I don't know if it's the super hot temperatures on the deck, combined with the fact that I've kept it well watered (you're not supposed to do that with succulents), or we've just got a unicorn here.  Your thoughts?

Flower.JPG.1882421206d03155877c5b6cfac58393.JPG

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Maybe you have grown a green thumb, Gerry 🙂 

Heat would help it for sure and although succulents don’t need a lot of water in high heat they can. 

Whatever you’re doing, it has been right.  👍 

It’s beautiful.  

• Like 12

Good afternoon, everyone.   I made it safely home from Michigan around two this afternoon.  It does feel good to be home, but I miss the family.  

Wow, so many things have happened while I was gone.  I tried to skim the daily each night, but I know I missed a lot.  @mamaofamiI hope Sam progresses quickly.   As scary as the fall was, people do recover quickly in their own homes.   Make  him use the walker.   We had to watch my dad carefully because he thought he could do more than he could.   But, he had home therapy and the therapist said he was her star patient.  He actually did the exercises.   A lot of people don't.

@StLouisCruisersI sure hope you find out about your neighbor.  Could it be that the home care giver came to the conclusion that he couldn't be alone and needed to be in a supervised environment.  I know that is a hard decision for some families to make.   A friend of mine, who is 89, moved to a retirement village that has independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care about 6 years ago.  I asked her then what prompted the move and she said she didn't want her kids to have to make that decision.  She's still in independent living and very active.  A few  years back she went zip lining with her grandsons.   

• Like 19

58 minutes ago, dfish said:

A friend of mine, who is 89, moved to a retirement village that has independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care about 6 years ago.  I asked her then what prompted the move and she said she didn't want her kids to have to make that decision.  She's still in independent living and very active.  A few  years back she went zip lining with her grandsons.   

My parent’s financial advisor recommended that to my parents when they could still manage at home. He used that same reason. Frankly, I was a bit appalled. But it got Dad thinking, and they moved to an RCFE within a few years. They saw it as a good decision and one that gave THEM independence. Up until covid my Dad chose to have me meet him at his apartment and take the “company car” when I went to doctors visits with him. He felt like he was providing transportation. 

DH and I are planning to do the same when the time comes.

• Like 15

Posted (edited)

I need a consult with the Garden Club, please.

I have a paddy pan plant that is not doing well. It has been planted now for about 7 weeks. The squashes started to set and have not grown. Lots of leaves have dried and fallen. There was some “greyish powder”, and tiny fly looking bugs around it. The nursery suggested starting with Neem oil, which I applied a few days ago. It gets direct sun, and I have some shade cloth over it. I fertilized it a week ago.

Any ideas as to what is wrong, and how to fix it?

8D40E557-EF46-4628-A94C-0D92DA04EA1B.thumb.jpeg.52b8e51324a6626c1fe00a5f72772a09.jpeg1DD961A4-6884-4573-9830-0FF3B20DA20A.thumb.jpeg.fd8396c9cd2c804484600909fce85f57.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11

13 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

My parent’s financial advisor recommended that to my parents when they could still manage at home. He used that same reason. Frankly, I was a bit appalled. But it got Dad thinking, and they moved to an RCFE within a few years. They saw it as a good decision and one that gave THEM independence. Up until covid my Dad chose to have me meet him at his apartment and take the “company car” when I went to doctors visits with him. He felt like he was providing transportation. 

DH and I are planning to do the same when the time comes.

Probably great advice,  I wanted my mother to choose her last place to live as she had done all her adult life.  But she wouldn’t and it came to a point the doctors at the hospital wouldn’t let her return  home after another bad fall.    

Thanks for helping with the wines,  I’m sorry no advice on the squash.  Could it be powdery mildew?  

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Probably great advice,  I wanted my mother to choose her last place to live as she had done all her adult life.  But she wouldn’t and it came to a point the doctors at the hospital wouldn’t let her return  home after another bad fall.    

Thanks for helping with the wines,  I’m sorry no advice on the squash.  Could it be powdery mildew?  

I was wondering the same, but don’t know what it looks like.

The plant also has lots of ants crawling on it. Not sure if there’s a nest nearby.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I was wondering the same, but don’t know what it looks like.

The plant also has lots of ants crawling on it. Not sure if there’s a nest nearby.

I'm only a Garden Club cheerleader, but I know we have had problems with aphids on our crepe myrtle tree, which caused shiny sticky leaves, then black powder mildew and yellowing leaves with black spots.  It also attracted wasps.  DH found an insecticide which he sprays it with and that has helped eradicate them.  Could your plant have an insect like aphids on the leaves (underside probably)?  

I'm waiting to see what Jacqui thinks though.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Love dark chocolate, we all need forgiveness, and I wish I could take a walk with my dad!

This week has been spent preparing for Ron's memorial service on Saturday. DS is attempting to fly in from Iowa, but has encountered multiple delays and cancellations. Looks like I'll be picking him up at Dulles tomorrow afternoon instead of BWI. He'll be spending an unexpected night in Chicago. Meanwhile, my DSis is driving up from NC tomorrow and hopes to leave early enough to be ahead of Elsa. Prayers for safe travel for both of them would be appreciated!

Edi

• Like 14

@NextOnePrayers for the safe arrival of your family. 

Chocolate Day used to be every day at my house.  I made and sold chocolate novelty items, and would use 2000 pounds between September and Christmas!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone. DM is already in bed and doing well after her procedure. It took 2 hours longer than expected due to some emergencies they had to fit in the schedule. Mom didn’t want to go to the dining room and wanted pizza so I stopped off on the way home. She proclaimed it wonderful and ate 3 pieces!  The results should be available next week and I’ll keep you all posted. 

Thank you all for your prayers!  It means so much to me. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1