Jump to content

Bernkastel-Kues mooring location to Kues Forum bus


Recommended Posts

I’m looking at a cruise that stops in Bernkastel-Kues from 5am-11pm. During this time, I’d like to make a day trip to Luxembourg which involves taking the bus from Kues Forum to Wittlich. My question is about getting from the ship to the Forum. Does anyone know roughly where the river cruises (A-Rosa) dock, and the best option to get to the Forum bus stop?

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, samrothstein said:

I’m looking at a cruise that stops in Bernkastel-Kues from 5am-11pm. During this time, I’d like to make a day trip to Luxembourg which involves taking the bus from Kues Forum to Wittlich. My question is about getting from the ship to the Forum. Does anyone know roughly where the river cruises (A-Rosa) dock, and the best option to get to the Forum bus stop?

 

Thanks!

The bus stop is about 2 blocks west of the bridge over the Mosel. If you look at the satellite picture of Bernkastel-Kues there are docking stations all along mostly the eastern side of the Mosel, but there is at least one on the western side. None of them seem to be too far from the bridge. My guess is that the best option will be to walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Busbahnhof+Forum/@49.9156387,7.0688155,509m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47be2566d3790515:0x94f230eeb4e3a1e!8m2!3d49.9162828!4d7.0690606

 

When are you thinking of doing this trip? I'm on a bike and barge trip that is supposed to have a stop in Luxembourg, but the last time I looked at lists of where Americans can currently go (I know; I'm not American but I am travelling with one), I noticed that Luxembourg was not on the list. For us, it might mean changing our route slightly to either stay in Germany or arrive a day early in France. For you, it might make the excursion impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a look here on the map https://www.bernkastel.de/bernkastel/de/brochure/list?customHeader=true

which you can download. I agree with gnome12 that walking should be easy. It looks as if the forum is behind or next to the old railway station. It is very close to the bridge with minimal incline. I am surprised to read that A-ROSA docks in Kues. I saw the docking location in Bernkastel but Kues docking looks close to the bridge and an easy walk.

 

In this vlog you can see a shot from the castle at the small town and their ship docked in Kusel at 3:49. It also gives you an idea of what awaits you on your journey. Oh my, I would love to join you, alas, no time.

 

 

When are you going?

 

notamermaid

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I saw the docks on the maps, just wanted to make sure there weren’t any further downriver that larger ships dock at. The walk from there to the Busbahnhof looks like an easy 15-20 minutes. 
 

The trip is a hopeful plan for September 2022. Plan is to have a few pre-nights in Strasbourg before sailing from Cologne to Koblenz-Mainz-Rüdeshiem-Bernkastel-Kues-Trier-Cochem. 
 


Thank you for that great video. I’ve focused most of my research so far on forum posts and blogs, maybe it’s time to find more YouTube and vlogs. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A follow up question: if we arrive back from Luxembourg around 6 or 7pm will there be anything open in Bernkastel or Kues, other than wine bars? I’m sure all the historic sites close around 4 or 5, but I’d still like to take a stroll through town. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Expect attractions like museums to close at 5pm latest 6pm (few do this, so you would need to check beforehand). Shops are usually open until 6pm, supermarkets later, but as

Bernkastel is touristy perhaps some small shops are open later than 6pm. You will find restaurants open in the evenings not just typical wine taverns. Here is the one in the old station (restaurant/bar with focus on local beer) that looked really inviting when I walked past, I did not go in: https://www.bahnhof-cues.de/

 

For more details on the town I would phone the tourist information centre there.

 

Just a question: if you stop in Trier also, as the itinerary suggests, would it not be easier to go from Trier to Luxembourg, as it is a direct short train ride (you may dock out of town but a taxi would swiftly bring you to the station)?

 

notamermaid

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Expect attractions like museums to close at 5pm latest 6pm (few do this, so you would need to check beforehand). Shops are usually open until 6pm, supermarkets later, but as

Bernkastel is touristy perhaps some small shops are open later than 6pm. You will find restaurants open in the evenings not just typical wine taverns. Here is the one in the old station (restaurant/bar with focus on local beer) that looked really inviting when I walked past, I did not go in: https://www.bahnhof-cues.de/

 

For more details on the town I would phone the tourist information centre there.

 

Just a question: if you stop in Trier also, as the itinerary suggests, would it not be easier to go from Trier to Luxembourg, as it is a direct short train ride (you may dock out of town but a taxi would swiftly bring you to the station)?

 

notamermaid

 

Thanks for the restaurant tip - looks good. As far as Trier goes, it’s a shorter stop there, leaving by 5 or 6pm and I’m keen to see the Dom, Porte Negra and the Baths. The ship includes an excursion in Trier to do most of the things I’d like, and wouldn’t leave any time to get it Lux and back. I had considered staying overnight in Luxembourg and taking the direct train to Trier to meet the ship, but that seems silly after consideration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had actually first misread your post a little and thought you were further in the planning. Oops. But you seem to have settled on A-ROSA. Or not? It sure is a good company. It certainly makes sense to go from Bernkastel-Kues to Luxembourg if you want to see all the sights in Trier - they are fabulous. The train ride from Wittlich to Luxembourg will be great IMO. The line is spectacular in a few parts near Luxembourg city (rock face). I loved that bit, but all of the Moselle is nice.

 

notamermaid 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I had actually first misread your post a little and thought you were further in the planning. Oops. But you seem to have settled on A-ROSA. Or not? It sure is a good company. It certainly makes sense to go from Bernkastel-Kues to Luxembourg if you want to see all the sights in Trier - they are fabulous. The train ride from Wittlich to Luxembourg will be great IMO. The line is spectacular in a few parts near Luxembourg city (rock face). I loved that bit, but all of the Moselle is nice.

 

notamermaid 

 

 

I’m a good way along into the planning as far as being settled on the itinerary and ARosa. The value for money seems too good to pass up, and our neighbors who have sailed with them several times give glowing reviews. The cruise plus the pre-nights in Strasbourg should cover a great deal of my wishlist. I do still need to iron out a couple of fall back plans in case things don’t go as planned. Also need to find things to do before/after/beyond the ships excursions as well as dining options away from the ship. 
 

I’m glad to hear that the train ride to Luxembourg is enjoyable, that was something I intend to look into. I’m planning on taking the train from Koblenz to Moselkern (for Burg Eltz), and that train ride is also supposed to be very nice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have done the hike from Moselkern up to Eltz Castle. A bit strenuous and you need good ankles, but it is certainly doable. Eltz Castle is great. If you do not want to walk, of course there is the taxi option. Koblenz to Moselkern is certainly a nice train ride, the vineyards start shortly after Koblenz.

 

From Trier you go along the Mosel but then I am not sure where you turn off to Luxembourg city these days. In Luxembourg I was on this viaduct I think: https://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/luxemburg~triebzuege~br-2200/1061125/viel-gruen--blick-von-der-passerelle.html

and I was definitely on a train going past this rockface in photo 5: https://rail.lu/ligneluxwasserbillig.html

 

For vineyards themselves,  you will perhaps see more of those going Koblenz to Moselkern, not sure.

 

notamermaid

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m very interested in the hike from Moselkern, but the wife isn’t very excited. We might end up taking a taxi from Hatzenport for simplicity. For timing, we’ll most certainly be taking a taxi from Eltz to Koblenz. 
 

Those photos look great, thanks for sharing. Btw, I’ve been reading your old posts, one about smaller towns out of the way, and appreciate all your helpful posts!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...