Westerdam Med Cruises Fall 2022 - Not

mkl55

Hello All,

It appears that Westerdam will be doing Asia itineraries instead of the Med itineraries originally scheduled for Fall 2022.  We are booked on an October 2022 (Rome to Venice) cruise scheduled to be on Westerdam and are awaiting word on what the new plan might be.  It's shown as inactive on the website.  Knowing this is pure speculation, any guesses from you seasoned cruisers?  Different ship, same itinerary?  Different ship, different itinerary?  Cancelled cruise?  (Yikes...not that one)  What ship do you think would move to the Med?  Venice is one of the ports so perhaps smaller.  Volendam is already doing several Med. itineraries at that time.  Why is it so hard just to wait and see?  Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm sure it will all work out.  

4 minutes ago, mkl55 said:

Hello All,

It appears that Westerdam will be doing Asia itineraries instead of the Med itineraries originally scheduled for Fall 2022.  We are booked on an October 2022 (Rome to Venice) cruise scheduled to be on Westerdam and are awaiting word on what the new plan might be.  It's shown as inactive on the website.  Knowing this is pure speculation, any guesses from you seasoned cruisers?  Different ship, same itinerary?  Different ship, different itinerary?  Cancelled cruise?  (Yikes...not that one)  What ship do you think would move to the Med?  Venice is one of the ports so perhaps smaller.  Volendam is already doing several Med. itineraries at that time.  Why is it so hard just to wait and see?  Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm sure it will all work out.  

I don’t think anyone really knows for sure.

Westerdam is named as replacement ship for the cancelled Asia cruises of this year.  The question becomes did HAL possibly make a mistake in the naming of the ship or, is HAL going to designate another ship to do the Med 2022 cruises?

From what HAL said to those to whom the Asia replacement cruise was offered, the cruise will be solidified (assigned cabins, etc) by July 31st.  

Rather than stress or guess, we might as well just wait until July 31st or early August to see what has been decided.  We are on the TA so, like you, hoping our itinerary doesn’t change. 🤞 

• Like 2

Westerdam and Oosterdam are most likely being swapped for the Alaska & Europe 2022 seasons. Not sure if itineraries will be altered or if it’s just a straight ship swap. Expect updates in the next 2-3 days

I have anticipated this since the Fall 2022 to Spring 2023 schedules were published a few months ago with Westerdam in Asia and Oosterdam in South America neither connecting correctly with the summer/fall 2022 Alaska/Europe schedules for the two ships. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

HAL has posted the replacement cruises and the Oosterdam is replacing the Westerdam for a lot of cruises.

Here is the link - https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/News/cruise-pause/070621_Pause_Impacted_Itineraries.pdf

Thanks Jacqui,  I always learn things first here.  Wondering when the Oosterdam was last updated while we await the official notice. 

Edited by bennybear

15 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks Jacqui,  I always learn things first here.  Wondering when the Oosterdam was last updated while we await the official notice. 

Last dry dock I know of was April 2, 2018.  According to Vmax1700’s website (charters & drydock ) she is scheduled for March, 2021.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

HAL has posted the replacement cruises and the Oosterdam is replacing the Westerdam for a lot of cruises.

Here is the link - https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/News/cruise-pause/070621_Pause_Impacted_Itineraries.pdf

That a whole lot of Roll Calls to be changed again! 😱

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

. Wondering when the Oosterdam was last updated 

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Last dry dock I know of was April 2, 2018.  According to Vmax1700’s website (charters & drydock ) she is scheduled for March, 2021.

Oosterdam was in dry dock in Brest, France from 22nd March 2021 to 8th April 2021. That is a total of 17 days which is quite long for a dry dock, but as Easter occurred during that period, it probably works out at 12 days.  She should be in good condition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Oosterdam was in dry dock in Brest, France from 22nd March 2021 to 8th April 2021. That is a total of 17 days which is quite long for a dry dock, but as Easter occurred during that period, it probably works out at 12 days.  She should be in good condition.

Thanks!  

23 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

That a whole lot of Roll Calls to be changed again! 😱

Yup - we’ve been down that road before, haven’t we 😉.  Ours is already done 

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Oh, I didn’t know that.  Thanks so much!

• Like 1

We got the email from Celebrity yesterday about the switch in ships, we are on the Aug 2,12022 sailing RT from Venice.  I see no difference in the 2 ships, we have the same SS cabin we had on the Westerdam.

We just received an e-mail late yesterday from HAL cancelling our mid-April transatlantic on the Westie. We have been reassigned to the Nieuw Statendam which parallels the Westie's path. We have to wait another two weeks for a booking number and to see what they have done with our room selection.

Nothing was said about our next two legs on Westie, which visit the Middle East and end in Barcelona. Since none of these European cruises are now for sale, one would assume that they will also be cancelled.  But no official news yet from Seattle.

When I called the Mariner Society (our TA knows nothing about this development), he asked around and said that Westie has been taken out of service for "operational issues".  Hmmmm...

Meanwhile, nobody I talked to with access to HAL's computer system has any information about Oosterdam picking up the European agenda. The reservation pages list only Nieuw Statendam as being available in the Med next spring.

It appears that HAL has some work to resolve all this confusion and incomplete information. I look forward to further developments.

Spoke to my TA today and Holland America is in the process of changing our sept 2022 med cruise to the Oosterdam. Not to expect the paperwork and website to reflect that till July 23, per statement for Holland America?

Edited by CGspouse

2 hours ago, crzr said:

We just received an e-mail late yesterday from HAL cancelling our mid-April transatlantic on the Westie. We have been reassigned to the Nieuw Statendam which parallels the Westie's path. We have to wait another two weeks for a booking number and to see what they have done with our room selection.

Nothing was said about our next two legs on Westie, which visit the Middle East and end in Barcelona. Since none of these European cruises are now for sale, one would assume that they will also be cancelled.  But no official news yet from Seattle.

Those cruises are listed on the replacement cruises that HAL posted, I believe

2 hours ago, crzr said:

Meanwhile, nobody I talked to with access to HAL's computer system has any information about Oosterdam picking up the European agenda. The reservation pages list only Nieuw Statendam as being available in the Med next spring.

HAl posted on their website about the ship switch and there is link for the replacement cruises .  None of the cruises are available to book until all the cabins are re-assigned on each ship.  Right now they are on the Inactive list to prevent people from booking.

I posted the link to the PDF for the replacement cruises earlier in this thread.  Here it is in my quote below

20 hours ago, kazu said:

6 hours ago, crzr said:

When I called the Mariner Society (our TA knows nothing about this development), he asked around and said that Westie has been taken out of service for "operational issues".  Hmmmm...

It appears that HAL has some work to resolve all this confusion and incomplete information. I look forward to further developments.

As Kazu and others have posted The Westerdam’s itineraries were transferred to the Oosterdam which is the identical sized ship.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/News/cruise-pause/070621_Pause_Impacted_Itineraries.pdf

So your Athens to Barcelona cruise should be on same date and same cabin.

Edited by Storylady