Feds appeal Florida win over CDC, hang on for the ride!

neptuno

If you were confused regarding cruise ship sailings and regulations out of Florida, it just got worse.  The feds appeal may change the rules and even the scheduled sailings out of Florida.  Hang on, the roller coaster keeps going.  Hopefully things will be settled before December.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neptuno said:

If you were confused regarding cruise ship sailings and regulations out of Florida, it just got worse.  The feds appeal may change the rules and even the scheduled sailings out of Florida.  Hang on, the roller coaster keeps going.  Hopefully things will be settled before December.

Hopefully things settle before mid-October!

Can you provide a link?

The wording from the judge is spot on:

“In other words, CDC can show no factor that outweighs the need to conclude an unwarranted and unprecedented exercise of governmental power. More to the point, this action is not about what health precautions against COVID-19 are necessary or helpful aboard a cruise ship; this action is about the use and misuse of governmental power.”

• Like 7

I've been vaccinated. Just want to cruise and not have to wear a mask. That's it-short and sweet.

I don't care who won this battle. Florida or the CDC.

Do I need to wear a mask?

MSC Cruises has not released mask guidelines for their summer cruises.

fingers crossed they rule in my favor.😀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Debde said:

I've been vaccinated. Just want to cruise and not have to wear a mask. That's it-short and sweet.

I don't care who won this battle. Florida or the CDC.

Do I need to wear a mask?

MSC Cruises has not released mask guidelines for their summer cruises.

fingers crossed they rule in my favor.😀

On US site yesterday for cruises out of US vaxxed have to wear one inside as of now.

31 minutes ago, dexddd said:

On US site yesterday for cruises out of US vaxxed have to wear one inside as of now.

I have no problem waiting. Heck-it's been this long, I can wait a few more months hopefully. I'm ready to do a last minute booking with all my ducks in a row.😃

As many have said, too much uncertainty as to what the 'cruise experience' will be leaving from the US. I await the folks that sail in August to report the first hand experience.

Although this is all I could find that was the latest information:

According to CDC rules, ships that have at least 95% of crew and passengers fully vaccinated can use their discretion when it comes to mask rules. Ships that don't meet those numbers can have designated areas for fully vaccinated passengers where masks and physical distancing are optional.Jun 25, 2021

Could not find anything posted yesterday but i'm not that good of an internet detective on this stuff.🧐

• 4 weeks later...

NCL is looking better and better for me. I can sail local. Not risking flying down to Fla and might get a false positive.

I know we're all ready to cruise again, myself included. Too much uncertainty right now.

A fully vaccinated cruise looks better to me. IMHO

• Like 2

7 hours ago, neptuno said:

This is not over yet.  Norwegian just won an injunction over Florida's "don't ask" rule.  

Not the same case, not the same issue.  

NCL has said this is until Oct, 2021. If it holds up on appeal, I hope it continues for a while, at least until children are able to be vaccinated. If it continues at that time, and the other lines don't follow NCL, I will switch all my bookings to NCL. I'd love a fully vaccinated cruise without the 95% or whatever they are sailing with now.

Posted (edited)

So NCL is doing everyone has to be vaccinated except for children? That would be awesome if they had that and everything could be "normal" for a week with no masks or covid talk in general. I live in Southern Ohio where only like 1/3 of people are vaccinated. Because of this, people are dropping like flies, hospitals overloaded, restaurants stopping buffets, businesses more and more requiring masks, and fear all over again. It would be great to be among vaccinated people for a week and be able to relax. 

Edited by Reds4life
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

So NCL is doing everyone has to be vaccinated except for children? That would be awesome if they had that and everything could be "normal" for a week with no masks or covid talk in general. I live in Southern Ohio where only like 1/3 of people are vaccinated. Because of this, people are dropping like flies, hospitals overloaded, restaurants stopping buffets, businesses more and more requiring masks, and fear all over again. It would be great to be among vaccinated people for a week and be able to relax. 

As mentioned above the recent NCL ruling has little to do with the topic of this thread.  I'll just add that NCL is not allowing children under 12 at all since they are requiring 100% vaccination. 

Also it looks like there are still similar risks on the "fully vaccinated" cruises as on the ones that allow non-vaccinated.  95% and 100% vaccinated sailings without masks, no social distancing and full capacity are not doing any better than non-vaccinated sailings with masks, social distancing and limited capacity.  Pretty much all ships currently sailing from the US are above the COVID-19 threshold placing them into CDC Yellow status whether they are "fully vaccinated" or not.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Até said:

Also it looks like there are still similar risks on the "fully vaccinated" cruises as on the ones that allow non-vaccinated.

Is this observation based on the color codes assigned?  Is there more specific info available?  It looks like Meraviglia is "orange" under monitoring as of Aug 9th, while Divina is still "green".

12 minutes ago, neptuno said:

Is this observation based on the color codes assigned?  Is there more specific info available?  It looks like Meraviglia is "orange" under monitoring as of Aug 9th, while Divina is still "green".

Mainly but also from other sources, CDC color status can only be used for US based sailings and tends to lag from a couple to a few  days.  Sailings in other countries are much harder to get information about but there appears to be consistent cases on all ships sailing with passengers.  Divina had a Yellow spell over the period when they were adding crew, new crew don't count for the first 14 days when they are in isolation but pretty much any time you have people getting on and off there is associated increased risk.  Meraviglia is one of two larger cruise ships sailing with passengers that is not in Yellow status, unfortunately I feel it's only a matter of time because the ship has only been sailing a very short time.  I didn't include Disney Dream in Green status becasue it also just started sailing.  I really hoped for this re-start to be going better but I expect that ship status to also change shortly.

From the CDC color coded ship status website:

"The threshold for investigation was developed based on several factors, including the need for transparency while acknowledging that cruising is not a zero-risk activity."

Yeah, this is really transparent.  We know exactly what is going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

From the CDC color coded ship status website:

"The threshold for investigation was developed based on several factors, including the need for transparency while acknowledging that cruising is not a zero-risk activity."

Yeah, this is really transparent.  We know exactly what is going on.

This is exactly the vagueness and uncertainty that Judge Merryday ruled made the CSO so problematic.  

• Like 1

Well the thresholds for each color are pretty well defined.  To be in Yellow Meraviglia has either greater than 1% crew or 1.5% passengers having positive COVID-19 tests.  Not counting new crew in quarantine or passengers testing positive at the pier.  The possibility that the cruise line did not file the EDC is very unlikely.

What is vague is that there is no requirement for reporting how many cases to the public or passengers.  Carnival would only state "A small number" of cases on Vista.  That small number is now over 26.