Meal and show times, afternoon food

Joanandjoe

We have had one cruise on Silversea, on the Silver Spirit from Copenhagen to Stockholm via the Gulf of Bothnia. The ship was beautiful, and the unusual ports, most of which rarely welcome cruise ships, were great.  Still, we were only partially satisfied with the experience. Why? Because we were hungry most afternoons, and didn't get to see any shows.

We normally start dinner between 5:30 and 6:15 pm.  Dinner time on our cruise was 7 pm, which was way too late for us, and made the shows too late for us.  We never found a venue where we could get an afternoon snack to tide us over.  Room service was very slow.  There was no tea time, which is a highlight for us on other cruise lines (such as Regent).  The pizza place was so messed up that it took 40 minutes for them  to deliver the wrong pizza, which I couldn't eat because of the toppings.  We didn't find out about the gelato at the pizza place until the last afternoon of our cruise.

Have the meal times been expanded so that the dining room will be less full?  If dinner time is still 7 pm, I probably can't talk Joan into trying Silversea again, even though the itineraries are the best I've seen and we loved having a butler.  If dinner time is now earlier, I may be able to convince her to book another cruise on Silversea. 

What are the current dinner and show times on the ships (other than the Expedition ships)?   Joe

Snacks are available throughout the day -- including a full array of traditional tea items mid-afternoon -- in Arts Cafe on Musified ships (including Spirit).  On the older, smaller ships there is a formal tea service, generally in Panorama.  

I found service in Spaccanapoli (the pizza/gelato restaurant) to be very swift -- never anything like 40 minutes -- and they gladly customized toppings.  It is of course open non-stop from 11 am through dinner.

Room service has generally taken 20 minutes for delivery.  Not too bad in my book.  And of course your butler can serve dinner in your suite.

After-dinner shows generally begin ~ 9:15, though some shows are pre-dinner. 

There is of course a difference among ships in the Silversea fleet.  It would be helpful if you said what ship you are considering.

26 minutes ago, Observer said:

There is of course a difference among ships in the Silversea fleet

It is this inconsistency of the cruise experience that makes cruising a "what am I going to experience this time" a negative that, maybe Corporate of whatever cruise line realize, an important factor on what cruise I book.  HAL is infamous for such inconsistency from ship to ship.  It's disappointing to learn as a prospective Silverseas guest that this "disease" infects such a cruise line.  

Guest oriented Senior Management on the ship--starting with the Master and Hotel Manager, etc.--is what is required to provide the expected experience by the guest.  

Edited by rkacruiser

28 minutes ago, Observer said:

Snacks are available throughout the day -- including a full array of traditional tea items mid-afternoon -- in Arts Cafe on Musified ships (including Spirit).  On the older, smaller ships there is a formal tea service, generally in Panorama.

I understand Shadow is one of their older ships. Is it also Musified?

In any case, Shadow will be my first

introduction to Silversea in a few weeks.  I am still looking forward to it, even though it won't be as nice and fancy.

4 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

I understand Shadow is one of their older ships. Is it also Musified?

In any case, Shadow will be my first

introduction to Silversea in a few weeks.  I am still looking forward to it, even though it won't be as nice and fancy.

Some people prefer the intimacy and understatement of Shadow/Whisper.  Shadow is not Musified, but it has recently had an extensive makeover and does have the equivalent of Arts Cafe on Deck 5.  Snacks (and drinks, including custom coffees) are available there from 6:30 am until late.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It is this inconsistency of the cruise experience that makes cruising a "what am I going to experience this time" a negative that, maybe Corporate of whatever cruise line realize, an important factor on what cruise I book. 

IMHO there is a steady consistency within the Silversea fleet regarding the quality of the superb crew and service, the high quality of the food, the spaciousness of the ships/suites, etc.  To my mind, these are the key elements of a cruise.  The differences or inconsistencies are limited to the details (e.g., the size of the ship and number of guests, the number and nature of the culinary options,  the presence or absence of a thermal suite, etc.)  Many of us who sail frequently on Silversea appreciate the variety within the fleet.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Observer said:

The differences or inconsistencies are limited to the details (e.g., the size of the ship and number of guests, the number and nature of the culinary options,  the presence or absence of a thermal suite, etc.)  Many of us who sail frequently on Silversea appreciate the variety within the fleet.  

An interesting observation and I thank you for providing it.   With my experience on HAL, it's the Senior Ship Management that has a major influence on my guest experience.  In the Galley, it is the Executive Chef's willingness--and experience--to deviate from the Corporate recipes and menus that he/she receives.  

4 hours ago, Joanandjoe said:

What are the current dinner and show times on the ships (other than the Expedition ships)?   Joe

Dinner still starts @ 7:00p with an ability to be seated anytime through about 9:30p.  Shows tend to begin @ 9:30p or 10:00p, I believe.  Pure perfection as far as we’re concerned.

• Like 2

I remember wandering down about 6 to the Bars on the Shadow and the Whisper and having canapés, chips, nuts, and other nibbles before going into dinner at 7.  My butler also would bring me Ruffles after shore tours (once he understood what they were...aka those crisps from the Bar) and even kept me stocked with M&M's.  

Missy in Maryland

(just made final payment for November Med cruise on Shadow...fingers crossed!)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Observer said:

IMHO there is a steady consistency within the Silversea fleet regarding the quality of the superb crew and service, the high quality of the food, the spaciousness of the ships/suites, etc.  To my mind, these are the key elements of a cruise.  The differences or inconsistencies are limited to the details (e.g., the size of the ship and number of guests, the number and nature of the culinary options,  the presence or absence of a thermal suite, etc.)  Many of us who sail frequently on Silversea appreciate the variety within the fleet.  

Like you say all ships aren’t the same and most people wouldn’t want that.  What is important is the standard of service and quality; and that should be the same on any ship in the line.

20 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

What is important is the standard of service and quality; and that should be the same on any ship in the line.

Absolutely.  The inconsistency of travel product offered by all travel companies, be they cruise lines, airlines, Amtrak, hotels of a particular brand,  etc., greatly irritates me.  

That is why I tend to be more "loyal" to some travel companies because I have found them to be more consistent than others.  Do they sometimes disappoint?  Yes.  And, I let them know of my displeasure if that happens.  

On 7/7/2021 at 4:43 PM, Joanandjoe said:

he pizza place was so messed up that it took 40 minutes for them  to deliver the wrong pizza, which I couldn't eat because of the toppings.

Wow, so sorry this happened to you joanandjoe.  Totally understand the toppings problem as I have this weird mammalian meat allergy which makes me no fun at any potluck lunch or dinner 😐.  

But, I think what you experienced is an exception, not the rule on Silversea.

We will not sail Silversea again.  Silversea is supposed to be a LUXURY line.  You don't wind up eating cold cheese and bread from breakfast at 4 PM on a LUXURY line.  Your complaints don't go unanswered on a LUXURY line.  

Edited by Joanandjoe

On 7/7/2021 at 4:43 PM, Joanandjoe said:

What are the current dinner and show times on the ships (other than the Expedition ships)?

23 minutes ago, Joanandjoe said:

We will not sail Silversea again.

Not sure why you asked your first questions if your mind is so made up already.

But, in the interests of others who might be reading…

As others have pointed out, Spaccanapoli is open from 11am till dinner, the Arts Cafe has great snacks all afternoon. And now you know there is afternoon gelato is. I’m sorry you didn’t see it or read about it until your last day. 

Did you ask your butler you said you loved for suggestions? We traveled with another couple who had a variety of snacks delivered to their cabin for afternoon treats. 

I have to say, when I read your thread title I was curious how anyone could go hungry on a SS cruise. I’m still not quite sure.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

I had the same thought/question.

38 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

As others have pointed out, Spaccanapoli is open from 11am till dinner

A point of (pedantic?) clarification.  I take "till" to imply that it closes at dinner time.  In my experience on Spirit, it was open through dinner, and I several times had a light dinner of pizza, a salad fetched from The Grill, and gelato.  I trust I will be corrected if opening hours have changed since I was last on Spirit.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, Joanandjoe said:

Have the meal times been expanded so that the dining room will be less full?  If dinner time is still 7 pm, I probably can't talk Joan into trying Silversea again, even though the itineraries are the best I've seen and we loved having a butler.  If dinner time is now earlier, I may be able to convince her to book another cruise on Silversea. 

3 hours ago, Joanandjoe said:

We will not sail Silversea again.

Hey Joe, if you have no intention of sailing SS again, why in the world did you come onto this forum and pose your questions then?

The people who participate in this forum are good people.  They have hearts of gold and genuinely try and help people like you.  So, I find your last post not only quite rude, but completely distasteful to the CruiseCritic participants here who took the time to answer your questions.  

Knowing you’ll never sail SS again, please never waste our time again too.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Joe & Joan.  I'm a bit confused by your initial post & the subject of food.  Of all the Silversea cruises we've done, we've always had a "Chronicles" delivered to our cabin each night for the following day.  In each issue, there is an entire section detailing the meal times for every venue.  Did you not receive one regularly from your butler?  If not, I certainly would have complained.  On the Muse/Spirit cruises we've done, the tea service is in the Arts Cafe, every afternoon, even port days.  It should have been in your Chronicle...

There are so many choices of cruises out there & we all should find one that makes us happy & certainly doesn't "send us to bed with no supper."  As Cruiser from Maine said, hearing someone say they went hungry on a Silversea ship, is certainly a first.

• Like 2

and @nowornever is quite reserved in her posts (and over a small glass of wine too!)

so let me pack up my anger at being sucked into this thread & say good riddance to the OP, go back to seven seas and acl where you belong

ps my raspberry is louder than your raspberry 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joanandjoe said:

We will not sail Silversea again.  Silversea is supposed to be a LUXURY line.  You don't wind up eating cold cheese and bread from breakfast at 4 PM on a LUXURY line.  Your complaints don't go unanswered on a LUXURY line.  

A premium line does not necessarily need to be a luxury line. 

7 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

But, in the interests of others who might be reading…

As others have pointed out, Spaccanapoli is open from 11am till dinner, the Arts Cafe has great snacks all afternoon. And now you know there is afternoon gelato is. I’m sorry you didn’t see it or read about it until your last day. 

Did you ask your butler you said you loved for suggestions? We traveled with another couple who had a variety of snacks delivered to their cabin for afternoon treats. 

I have to say, when I read your thread title I was curious how anyone could go hungry on a SS cruise. I’m still not quite sure.

Have to agree, I just can’t believe someone had only cold cheese and bread—-and if it happened if you didn’t talk to your Butler asking a few questions about what you want—that’s your fault.  

• Like 2