Renewing US passport

kibutzer

Have recently heard stories of extremely long times to get a renewed passport.  Has anyone tried to renew this year and how long did it take? TIA

Eight weeks is about right but I know some who would take longer.

If you have time renew six months before expiration.

And if you have issues contact your House of Representatives office.  This is one area they can help.

Keith

• Like 1

The federal government is saying 12-18 weeks right now and the only way (generally) that a congressional office can expedite is in matters of life and death.  This has been particularly true during COVID.  Lots of government offices are understaffed. 

I mailed my passport renewal on June 1, and received an email June 27 to confirm it was received and is being processed. There is a place on the application to state the date of your trip. I wish now I had paid the extra $60 for expedited service, as the 12-18 week turnaround time is longer than usual. I do expect it will show up in time, which will be one week before my cruise since I will need it for the PCPC and one week prior the PCPC is locked! Worst case scenario I suppose it might be necessary to get the new number from them before the mailing arrives. I also need it to update Global Entry.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

I mailed my passport renewal on June 1, and received an email June 27 to confirm it was received and is being processed. There is a place on the application to state the date of your trip. I wish now I had paid the extra $60 for expedited service, as the 12-18 week turnaround time is longer than usual. I do expect it will show up in time, which will be one week before my cruise since I will need it for the PCPC and one week prior the PCPC is locked! Worst case scenario I suppose it might be necessary to get the new number from them before the mailing arrives. I also need it to update Global Entry.

It may be possible to still pay the extra $60 for expedited service. I did so once some years back after experiencing a delay in processing. Good luck!

Edited by TER777

Just now, TER777 said:

It may be possible to still pay the extra $60 for expedited service. I did so once some years back after experiencing a delay in processing. Good luck!

Oh what excellent advice! Thanks very much.

It took me four weeks using expedited service, but that was three months ago. It's probably longer now.

My feeling is the delay is not so much that more people are traveling, but that the State Department still hasn't gotten its act together about getting passport workers back to their desks.

Global Entry renewal is weird too.  My husband and I both renewed the same day.  He got a new card mailed in less than a month.  I have to go to an in person interview unless I am traveling internationally and then can go same day.  I got an interview 5 months out but....there are now NO interviews for nearly 9 months.  You can use your expired card for a while - 18 months I think.

8 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Global Entry renewal is weird too.  My husband and I both renewed the same day.  He got a new card mailed in less than a month.  I have to go to an in person interview unless I am traveling internationally and then can go same day.  I got an interview 5 months out but....there are now NO interviews for nearly 9 months.  You can use your expired card for a while - 18 months I think.

I don't know if they still offer this or not, but when I renewed I was able to do the interview upon arrival in the USA at the GE entry point without an appointment. Not all airports may offer this service. There should be a list (somewhere). Good luck!

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

You can see your card for 24 month beyond the expiration date.

For my wife I keep booking the face to fact interview but keep pushing it out.  Finally when they rolled out the web site none were available until recently and got one for my wife after checking daily for a long time.  Took five to ten minutes.  For me it took a few days and I got one but in between I kept checking to see if I could get it earlier and some days nothing and then a few weeks worth and then nothing.  So my advice is to check daily.

My wife got here card in about 10 days and my card was sent out about the same time frame but after we left.

Keith  

• Like 1

I've never not expedited my passport.   I recommend that but you still might have to wait a long time because it depends where your passport is being processed.  

In normal times when you expedited it the passport was turned around in 7 days from my experience.  I usually had it back 10 days after I sent it.  But........I have a friend who waited a couple of months for it even with expediting it.  First they were hit with closures and now they are being hit with new and renewals.

Expedite it.  Send it to them via United States Post Office overnight or whatever it is as they are the only ones who can deliver it to the Passport Agency expedited.

But if you are worried after a couple of weeks do contact your USA Representative.  Their offices do have a lot of clout and we have done this before with great success.

Keith

I hit the Global Entry renewal jackpot. Got an email a few days after submitting the info and paying the fee that it had been approved. There was no interview involved. The new card arrived in the mail less than 3 weeks later!!

Patty

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

... I will need it for the PCPC and one week prior the PCPC is locked!

It is possible to enter phony data in PCPC, just to get to the next page.  Of course I mean only to enter it for a short period, then go back and enter the valid data as soon as you can.

• Like 2

I renew all those things early because who knows.

I remember the days when you could go to an official passport office and if you had the proper travel documentation you could get renewed right there and then.  Even if still possible not smart for planned ahead type traveling but if it was for an unexpected business trip it was helpful for some.  I never did that but did go to passport office for regular renewals

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You can always try a passport service  they can do this in 6 weeks.

Current passport times are 12 week expedited

Normal is now out to 18 weeks.

The issue is the demand.  Even during COVID they did it 8 weeks normal and 4 weeks expedited as I got my second passport renewed for 4 years.

Mail in passports go to a central mail point from there they are distributed to passport centers throughout the US.  It is taking 6 weeks to get from the central mail point to the passport centers then 6 to 12 weeks to process.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I read the Global Entry posts above with much envy.  Considering that it was in the middle of the Covid shutdown, I had assumed that all Dick and I would have to do was pay our renewal fee, fill in the forms and maybe have an on-line interview.

But no!  We were instructed to drive an hour down to the border for a face-to-face with an agent.  And as soon as she saw "Cartagena, Columbia" on our list of countries visited in the last 7 years, the grilling began.  

We did our best to explain that-- "It was on a Crystal cruise through the Panama Canal...  It was only a 8-hour port stop...  We stayed on the shore excursion bus the whole time."  But I could see from the steely glint in her eye that she considered us to be a very desperate and despicable duo.

Finally, she reluctantly approved our renewal application, and we grabbed our papers and dashed out the door before she could change her mind!

Emily

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I don't know if they still offer this or not, but when I renewed I was able to do the interview upon arrival in the USA at the GE entry point without an appointment. Not all airports may offer this service. There should be a list (somewhere). Good luck!

The catch is that you have to fly internationally....

3 hours ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

I read the Global Entry posts above with much envy.  Considering that it was in the middle of the Covid shutdown, I had assumed that all Dick and I would have to do was pay our renewal fee, fill in the forms and maybe have an on-line interview.

But no!  We were instructed to drive an hour down to the border for a face-to-face with an agent.  And as soon as she saw "Cartagena, Columbia" on our list of countries visited in the last 7 years, the grilling began.  

We did our best to explain that-- "It was on a Crystal cruise through the Panama Canal...  It was only a 8-hour port stop...  We stayed on the shore excursion bus the whole time."  But I could see from the steely glint in her eye that she considered us to be a very desperate and despicable duo.

Finally, she reluctantly approved our renewal application, and we grabbed our papers and dashed out the door before she could change her mind!

Emily

Oh I bet that's it!  My husband got his card right away and I had gone to Cuba for a week with a photographer person to person exchange and he stayed home!  Thank you!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I hit the Global Entry renewal jackpot. Got an email a few days after submitting the info and paying the fee that it had been approved. There was no interview involved. The new card arrived in the mail less than 3 weeks later!!

Patty

Well, your disarming Texas charm comes through again. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, your disarming Texas charm comes through again. 😁

Thanks, but I don't think it was charm as all I did was fill out a form, post credit card info for $100 (which my United Airlines Mastercard refunded!!) and hit send!! Looking forward to ever using Global Entry again. Do have 2 domestic flights this month, so the Pre Check comes in for those. 😊

Patty

Kibutzer - If you need it ASAP you can go into your passport office and it can be expedited in one day.  If there are no appointments available you can call your Congressional Representative's office and they can assist.  Worked for us recently.   Otherwise expedited service is about 8 weeks.  Hope this helps, Cherie 

On 7/7/2021 at 4:51 PM, Ladys Mom said:

It took eight weeks from the time I sent it Fedex overnight until I got it back.  That was March to May, 2021.

Same time frame for me...glad I got it done.

20 minutes ago, vunico said:

Same time frame for me...glad I got it done.

10 Weeks for mine! Ordered in Mid-February 2021 -- Received 1st week of May!