Labadee closed?

Haiti's president was assassinated last night. The interim president has declared a State of Seige which closes all of Haiti's borders. Does this mean ships can't dock at Labadee?

Very sad and also not one single person in Haiti has been vaccinated either, the only country without even 1 vaccination. RCCL probably won't be going there for awhile I would guess.

Posted (edited)

Hard to tell. In past 30+ yrs it's gone both ways when issues in Haiti. When has most time only short Period. I'd suspect Covid would be bigger issue when Ships return then the President

Edited by ONECRUISER

32 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Labadee is only Haiti in name since everyday Haitians can't go there.

What about the local employees? I was under the impression that locals worked in parts of Labadee.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cured said:

What about the local employees? I was under the impression that locals worked in parts of Labadee.

I'm pretty sure of this also...RCI sure doesn't employ the straw market vendor's.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cured said:

They do hire locals from that area.

Edited by Moltar

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Labadee is only Haiti in name since everyday Haitians can't go there.

The venders are Haitians. I wish them all the best. 

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, cured said:

Yes, they definitely do. But closed to anyone that doesn't work there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cured said:

They do. I was reading about Labadee last night, and they employee 200 or 300 locals. And the locals who sell their wares in the tent there pay a fee to RC International.

Pure conjecture on my part, but...given that Haiti was offered ~800,000 doses of AZ and the government turned the offer down and they currently have one of the highest positivity rates in the Caribbean may have had something to do with the assassination of the President who made that decision.

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

Pure conjecture on my part, but...given that Haiti was offered ~800,000 doses of AZ and the government turned the offer down and they currently have one of the highest positivity rates in the Caribbean may have had something to do with the assassination of the President who made that decision.

I doubt it had anything to do with covid. Unrest in Haiti  (typical economic and power grab issues that many struggling countries have) has been brewing for several years.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The August 15th sailing of Allure is the first ship scheduled to go back to Labadee, AFAIK.  (August 19th is the scheduled arrival date there)

Edited by atricks

39 minutes ago, atricks said:

The August 15th sailing of Allure is the first ship scheduled to go back to Labadee, AFAIK.  (August 19th is the scheduled arrival date there)

My cruise (in September, if it happens) has been flip-flopping between labadee and Falmouth when I look at my reservation online. I've called the rep and was given a non-answer. So I suppose we're going in that general direction, and I guess we'll be surprised after we board when the captain announces our next port of call 🙂

I love the Haitian people.  These are the poorest people in the world.  The mortality age is 38 years old.  Parents have to decide which child to feed on a given day.  The government sees to it that these people remain poor.  There are brutal gangs that reside in areas that the police fear to go.  Aids and disease is rampant.  Most do not have electricity or running water.  Voodoo is mixed with religion.  The natural resources are non-existent.  The trees have all been cut down.  The fish have all been fished out.  When a loved one passes away the body is often left on the road for the government to dispose of.

Please think about the Haitian people next time they try to sell you a hat or painting.  RCI has been such a blessing to these people.  Hopefully my fellow cruisers will be as well.

Sorry for the vent.  I get a tear in my eye every time I hear about Haiti.  Tip generously my friends.  

• Like 10

On 7/9/2021 at 4:06 AM, gcelkk said:

I love the Haitian people.  These are the poorest people in the world.  The mortality age is 38 years old.  Parents have to decide which child to feed on a given day.  The government sees to it that these people remain poor.  There are brutal gangs that reside in areas that the police fear to go.  Aids and disease is rampant.  Most do not have electricity or running water.  Voodoo is mixed with religion.  The natural resources are non-existent.  The trees have all been cut down.  The fish have all been fished out.  When a loved one passes away the body is often left on the road for the government to dispose of.

Please think about the Haitian people next time they try to sell you a hat or painting.  RCI has been such a blessing to these people.  Hopefully my fellow cruisers will be as well.

Sorry for the vent.  I get a tear in my eye every time I hear about Haiti.  Tip generously my friends.  

Tipping those generously who are doing well (under their circumstances) will only improve their well being from well to better, and not helping the poorest you describe.. to be honest. Not trying to downgrade your message though! The workers on the Labadee peninsula (which is leased by Royal up to 2050) are already blessed with a bit of certainty. Your port and taxes fees are, if I recall correctly, 12 USD per pax which go straight to the government. Which hopefully serves the Haitians in a positive and balanced way.

Those outside the fence, the general population of Haiti might be a better cause for your money if you want to give extra. But with corruption it's hard to tell which charity or organisation would be a good pick.

For me it's a vacation, giving the straw market vendor a ten dollar bill won't make things totally different and might only make the segregation even worse. How sorry I feel for them, I can't change the world. Your cash might make your vendor even a target for others back home, seeing or noticing his "wealth". We as cruise passengers would not even return alive to the ship if we would wonder beyond the fence/into the poverty, that's the hard reality I think. With the poverty I've seen around the world I would have to quite my job and be a full time aid worker.. I am not closing my eyes to it but I am rational to what I can do for foreign problems, next to contributions back home.

There's a video clip of someone from the UK giving banana's through the fence to locals, which has some interesting replies from the general public too. We might approach it from a cruising point of view of course.

On topic; as others said, Haiti has seen a lot of problems, things will settle by the time the ships will be sailing again frequently I think and hope! Haiti is better off with Labadee than without to me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

We as cruise passengers would not even return alive to the ship if we would wonder beyond the fence/into the poverty, that's the hard reality I think.

You can say the same thing for parts of Los Angeles, Chicago, New Orleans, New York City, San Juan, Detroit, large swaths of Florida, etc….

someone stated before they went on a tour that actually take you outside of the ““ fence and they came back alive. They went to some fishing village.

just because one is poor does not make them an automatic murderer.

Edited by Jtd724
  • Like 4

Just now, Jtd724 said:

You can say the same thing for parts of Los Angeles, Chicago, New Orleans, New York City, large swaths of Florida, etc….

Very true and I feel exactly the same for those trying to make a living normally in those circumstances and conditions. But that's off topic. I hope to visit Labadee again in March 2022.

Before our first of many stops at Labadee on Royal ships I had read a really harsh 2010 article about Haiti (that had a mention of Labadee, Royal and the $55M they originally spent on the peninsula).

I kept a PDF copy and found the current link.

It's clearly of a certain perspective (anti-colonialism, advantageous corporate and intergovernmental abuse of the situation by some, all assertions), and it painted a really bleak history and outlook for Haitians.

https://www.cadtm.org/The-incapacitation-of-Haiti

After we went the first time, because I had to do the Dragons Breath zip line (have a great GoPro video, no easy way to upload), in which we were overtaken by the thinly framed workers clearly living a hard life, we tipped and tipped.  When we returned to the ship, a number of seasoned cruisers lamented that, although our intentions were good, it was likely that their employer would actually take everything they were given when they returned.  😞