Cancellation In Kusadasi?

a flygirl

It was definitely cancelled on the 19th June cruise and didn't look hopeful for being reinstated any time soon. We were given $100 each as compensation and they took us to Syros instead - which we were happy with as we hadn't been there and it was an interesting place. Instead of the free dinner under the stars in Ephesus they put on a local extravaganza in Patmos. It was very enjoyable.

But I do know that some people were really keen to see Ephesus and were disappointed so if this is important to you then you might want to reconsider. But you CAN easily go to Delos from Mykonos and that's also an interesting cultural site but without the Biblical associations that were important for me when we visited Ephesus from a previous cruise. In my opinion Kusadasi itself is nothing special!

Ok Thanks so much. Just disappointed. W also had been there before but was really excited about the dinner. It looked magical.

We will evaluate. We haven't gotten anything from Windstar yet. Were you informed on board?

I hate to bother you but so many questions in these strange times. !!

Have answered your other questions on the other thread. But with regard to the cancellation they told us (by e-mail) a few days before the cruise and it was something to do with not being able to go into Turkish waters at that time so it may have changed?  I'm not sure if it was Covid-related (I think it might have been because infection rates in Turkey were probably worse at that time) or whether it was political as Greece and Turkey don't always get on well!!  I think I'd probably call and ask if I were you?

I'm not surprised. And of course a disappointment for many. Judging by the situation in Turkey, I don't expect things to change for some time. We're on this itinerary in August. And live in LA where starting Sunday masks are required again indoors. 

Hey, Laurelguy,

My wife and I are on the August 7th cruise with you as well. We're flying in from Tennessee a day before the cruise and leaving a day after. We're both previous Windstar cruisers as well and looking forward to returning.

Thanks for your posts. It will be dissappointing if Kusadasi is cancelled. I was there with Regent a few years ago and have several nice rugs to show for it. 😉

Windstar responded to my PM via Facebook on July 23rd regarding the event at the Celsus Library. 

This is their response..... "when the sea border with Turkey opens back up, we will be able to go there again. For now, it's closed so we have another private event planned in Greece, but this could change at anytime"

Hi Earl, We are on the 7th also. I am disappointed also. I was really excited about the dinner and love Kusadasi.

Kudos to Windstar for the new stop Milos that looks interesting/beautiful . At least we have more than a couple of days to look at excursions and DIY on the island.

I googled the Historic Mansion last night, looks beautiful as well. Not quite Celephus but what can we do?? We travel Tuesday!!! Excited

I feel ya....got the email as well. Sorta expected it. Have not been to Milos so that should be fun and they did schedule an event in Monemvasia....and 100 bucks OBC....YES we leave wed lax-cdg-ath....yikes...cheers cruisers!

Cindysuep37....I read back and it looks like you're doing this itinerary later in August? I'll definitely write up a report after our 8/7-8/14.....we do like doing our own thing but in Mykonos the Elia Beach excursion should be fun. Been to that beach.  Crowded but good swimming and tavernas on one end for a bite. I think that's the only one we signed up for but now that there's a beach trip in Milos we might do that too......away we go!

We're more hikers and explorers than beach people, so it looks like they're appealing to both crowds on Milos. I knew what would probably happen with the Kusadsai stop, but was still disappointed. I'm looking forward to a great cruise, though.

We're leaving Thursday, arriving Friday, staying at an airport hotel before heading to the ship on Saturday. Doing the same on the back side, leaving on Sunday after doing a post departure tour of Athens with Windstar. We're TYS-ATL-ATH and ATH-ATL-TYS on Delta, who, to their credit, proactively changed us from TYS-ATL-AMS-ATH when they restarted their ATL-ATH routes, a much easier and safer routing.

Speaking of safety, I purchased the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit 6 Pack to keep with us in case we needed it somewhere along the way. We're planning to do a test the day before we leave just to make sure we'll be clear to cruise before flying to Athens and running the risk of a 10 day quarantine there. We are, of course, fully vaccinated, but concerned with the uptick in 'breakthrough' cases.