High number of tender ports on Breakaway sailing

so per this itinerary the Breakaway is tendering at 3 of 4 stops.  I am kind of surprised that it is tendering in Cozumel, especially since they have piers for like 8 ships.  Does anyone know why so many are tender ports?  Is it the ships size in relation to how big the piers are?  or is it simply a number of ships vs piers issue?  Also would find it odd that the pier at Harvest Caye wasn't built big enough for their own ships.

image.png.f9cff7df4d18a43f1339f9cba59e64fc.png

cozumel might be an issue with ship capacity at the port. if all of the piers is taken and another ship wants to stop there, that ship needs to tender

I can't recall ever tendering at Cozumel or roatan or harvest caye. But since the harvest caye pier is damaged that could be correct. Cozumel has 2 locations of piers, ncl docks in punta langosta downtown and carnival/royal dock further down the road by Bubba gumps, so I can't see you tendering there. 

3 hours ago, MRDIAL said:

Don’t know when you are scheduled to dock in Cozumel but the port lists the Breakaway in January 2022.

yes it is Breakaway.  most likely as somone else said, it is probably an error.  Harvest Caye could be tender due to the pier damage.  I just wasnt sure if the Breakaway was too big for some of the docks.

3 minutes ago, bstel said:

yes it is Breakaway.  most likely as somone else said, it is probably an error.  Harvest Caye could be tender due to the pier damage.  I just wasnt sure if the Breakaway was too big for some of the docks.

Here is the breakaway in Cozumel on our cruise!

Screenshot_20210712-215616_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Cozumel has 2 locations of piers, ncl docks in punta langosta downtown and carnival/royal dock further down the road by Bubba gumps, so I can't see you tendering there. 

Cozumel has 3 cruise ship piers: the international, Punta langosta, and Puerto Maya (and two ferry piers). I’ve been cruising long enough to remember when there was just one. 

I would be absolutely shocked if the breakaway tenders in Cozumel. 

On 7/8/2021 at 10:28 AM, JamieLogical said:

Harvest Caye's pier was damaged before COVID. I am sure it is fixed by now, but maybe it was not updated from when they were having to tender there?

I thought I read early 2022 for completing the fix, but I maybe confused. Do you have a reference or is this just your best guess? It makes sense to fix it ahead of schedule, it’s not like they have to pause for ships to dock. 

12 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Cozumel has 3 cruise ship piers: the international, Punta langosta, and Puerto Maya (and two ferry piers). I’ve been cruising long enough to remember when there was just one. 

I would be absolutely shocked if the breakaway tenders in Cozumel. 

As I would. I've been there 6 times, never tendered. 

35 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I thought I read early 2022 for completing the fix, but I maybe confused. Do you have a reference or is this just your best guess? It makes sense to fix it ahead of schedule, it’s not like they have to pause for ships to dock. 

Hmmmm... the dock was damaged by the Escape in January 2010. After hitting the dock, the Escape re-docked and disembarked her passengers on that cruise. Seems unreasonable for it to take 2 years to repair some minor damage.... but we have been in a pandemic since, so anything is possible. 

For about two months, my August cruise showed the same thing, us tendering in every port (Costa Maya, Cozumel, HC and Roatan). Now the words "tender port" are gone. Perhaps a computer glitch which happens frequently on the NCL site.

Just check out the latest port schedule for Cozumel for your specific date to see how many ships are scheduled to be there - we're on the Escape calling on Cozumel in 2019 with all the piers full and had to tender in.  It was a fairly efficient operation with both the forward and aft in use to un/load tenders at the same time ... transfer itself was about 10 minutes, boarding and disembarking took longer.