Status of Pride of America

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Not that I disagree, but what didn't you like about Princess vs. NCL? (I've never sailed Princess)

59 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Very interesting discussion here.  Thanks to everyone for the information!

Cheers

Thanks. Btw, I like your CC avatar. I'm a Red Wings fan also. Do you live in Michigan?

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Not that I disagree, but what didn't you like about Princess vs. NCL? (I've never sailed Princess)

Actually, I thought Princess did a great job in Alaska, both on land and at sea (we did a cruise tour). That's the one and only time I sailed with Princess  So, since I haven't sailed with Princess outside of Alaska, I may have mis- spoken and prejudged them. If I ever wanted to cruise to Alaska, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Princess again.

1 hour ago, MorganClark said:

Thanks. Btw, I like your CC avatar. I'm a Red Wings fan also. Do you live in Michigan?

Nah Florida just from Toledo and grew up with the RWs

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 7:08 PM, zerooveride said:

POA has been in Portland for over a month . . . Seems a little long for a simple dry dock 

As those who are in the area can see, the ship is no longer in the drydock, and is moored next to the drydock, at a pier belonging to the shipyard which operates the drydock facility. AIS data indicates the vessel shifted from the drydock to the pier on June 21st, after spending a little less than three weeks in the drydock facility.

23 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Seems like a perfect time to do a dry dock, POA's last one was 2016 so it's needed anyway.  And, no rush to return to Hawai'i since there aren't any cruises booked for right now. The money has to be spent regardless of the financial situation.  

Bingo.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 3:31 PM, chengkp75 said:

Well, if you are going to use a foreign flag ship, then you would need to round trip from the West Coast, so it would be 5 days out, 7 days in Hawaii, and 5 days back, for 17 days.  Most lines that do the West Coast to Hawaii, are 14 day, with 4 days in Hawaii.

Thanks. Another poster on this thread pointed out that it would have to be a "closed-loop" cruise (as you also point out above). For a one-way cruise, a foreign flag cruise ship would have to call at a "distant" foreign port, that's why for the one-way cruises to/from Hawaii, the foreign flag cruise ships embark/disembark in Ensenada, MX or Vancouver, BC.

Heck, I'd love to do a 17-day R/T ("closed-loop") cruise to Hawaii from say LA or SD (with Ensenada, MX being the required foreign port call). I think just 4 days in Hawaii is too short.

Our very first cruise was on the NCL Wind back in 2006.  They had 10 or 11 day cruises sailing from Honolulu.  5 days in Hawaiian ports (2 Maui, Kona, Hilo & Kauai) 2 sea days to Fanning Island (1 day) and 2 days back to Honolulu.  We loved that trip, and have been waiting for them to return to Fanning.  There were a lot of people who complained about the 2 days there and 2 days back.  It was as if they hadn't read their itinerary and knew nothing about it.  Made us kind of laugh about it.  I love my sea days, and would love to repeat that itinerary!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, travelingfools said:

Our very first cruise was on the NCL Wind back in 2006.  They had 10 or 11 day cruises sailing from Honolulu.  5 days in Hawaiian ports (2 Maui, Kona, Hilo & Kauai) 2 sea days to Fanning Island (1 day) and 2 days back to Honolulu.  We loved that trip, and have been waiting for them to return to Fanning.  There were a lot of people who complained about the 2 days there and 2 days back.  It was as if they hadn't read their itinerary and knew nothing about it.  Made us kind of laugh about it.  I love my sea days, and would love to repeat that itinerary!

My 11 day cruise on the Wind to Fanning Island was one of my favorites ever. I really loved how open the top decks of the Wind were. The worst seas I have ever encountered were returning from Fanning however. When I was working on the Pride of America it was a nice bonus that every other cruise the Wind would sail next to us all night on our way from Honolulu to Hilo. 

• Like 1