Birth certificates

Princess answers your question in FAQ: Prepare for Your Cruise under Travel Document Requirements

The following is the specific answer to your question: "US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification."

There is an exception: "When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport."

If you do not have a passport, you could have a problem if you are forced to disembark in Canada or Mexico because of illness.

I recommend you read the entire FAQ for the specific details.

• Like 1

If you plan on cruising much or doing any significant traveling, it would be wise to "bite the bullet" and get a passport. If something happens and you need to fly home, you would need a passport. Why invite trouble? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Yes if you embark & disembark in same port. 

That certainly applies to the OPs question, but it is not necessarily true for Caribbean cruises. Over the past several years some Caribbean countries has started to require all passengers on the ship have passports or the ship will not be allowed to dock.

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

Princess answers your question in FAQ: Prepare for Your Cruise under Travel Document Requirements

The following is the specific answer to your question: "US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification."

This is important. It cannot be a copy of a valid certificate. It must be an original with the official raised issuing seal.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

This is important. It cannot be a copy of a valid certificate. It must be an original with the official raised issuing seal.

Many jurisdictions do not use raised seals. My old, original birth certificate had a raised seal, but no longer does (being stacked in a document safe for many years has flattened it).  And, certified copies of birth certificates are acceptable.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nini said:

If you plan on cruising much or doing any significant traveling, it would be wise to "bite the bullet" and get a passport. If something happens and you need to fly home, you would need a passport. Why invite trouble? 

And if you are considering the cost and believe it is too high, remember the passport is good for 10 years so if you divide the cost by 10, it is really not all that much.

I was asked when I renewed my driver's license last year if I wanted the new license that could be used as identification when flying. I asked if there was a fee, and was told yes. I then asked if I needed it if I had a passport that at that time was still valid for 9 years, and was told no. So there is a cost saving.

• Like 1

Wisconsin doesn't charge for Real ID if it is done at the time of renewal.  I've always had a passport but decided to get it when I renewed.  Figured why not?  Showed my passport, my old license, took an eye test, boom, done.  I was in the DMV, 5 minutes, tops.

9 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

Wisconsin doesn't charge for Real ID if it is done at the time of renewal.  I've always had a passport but decided to get it when I renewed.  Figured why not?  Showed my passport, my old license, took an eye test, boom, done.  I was in the DMV, 5 minutes, tops.

NY State never passes up an opportunity to charge for something!

Posted (edited)

You need to get a USG Passport Card.  Same size as the DL, certifies your citizenship and can be used for travel to Canada, Mexico and Caribbean cruising.  It cannot be used for air travel into the US.  Less expensive that the passport book.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

11 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

You need to get a USG Passport Card.  Same size as the DL, certifies your citizenship and can be used for travel to Canada, Mexico and Caribbean cruising.  It cannot be used for air travel into the US.  Less expensive that the passport book.

Why a passport card instead of a real ID or a passport?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

You can obtain one of these if you like, but strongly suggest you obtain a passport first or at the same time. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

There is an exception: "When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport."

If you do not have a passport, you could have a problem if you are forced to disembark in Canada or Mexico because of illness.

I recommend you read the entire FAQ for the specific details.

THIS is the answer to the OP's question.

Everything else mentioned as "what you need" is opinion ... we have passports and Global Entry, much more than needed for a California Coastal sailing ... 

Edited by pms4104

59 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

THIS is the answer to the OP's question.

Everything else mentioned as "what you need" is opinion ... we have passports and Global Entry, much more than needed for a California Coastal sailing ... 

Even that answer is not all inclusive...a few years ago I presented my birth certificate and valid driver's license to board at Port Everglades for a Caribbean cruise.  It took 3 hours to get cleared on board.  Of course, that's because I followed their requirements but they failed to say a US birth certificate.  I was born in Spain and Naturalized as a citizen when I turned 18.  My birth certificate was in Spanish!!  It took a call to Immigrations to get me cleared.  After that, I obtained a Passport.  🙂  🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Even that answer is not all inclusive...a few years ago I presented my birth certificate and valid driver's license to board at Port Everglades for a Caribbean cruise.  It took 3 hours to get cleared on board.  Of course, that's because I followed their requirements but they failed to say a US birth certificate.  I was born in Spain and Naturalized as a citizen when I turned 18.  My birth certificate was in Spanish!!  It took a call to Immigrations to get me cleared.  After that, I obtained a Passport.  🙂  🙂 

Thank you for clarification ... indeed Princess ought to be more clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

NY State never passes up an opportunity to charge for something!

I was going to get the enhanced version of the Real ID. The women at the DMV talked me out of it. She said you live on Long Island you have a passport, If you are going to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean you will know in advance. Save your money and just get the Real ID.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tuputts said:

I have a October 29 California coastal cruise but no passport can I still use my birth certificate 

When we first cruised with our birth certificate it had to be a “raised seal” birth certificate which we obtained from our county courthouse not the birth certificate from the hospital which my mother had in her files.

8 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

When we first cruised with our birth certificate it had to be a “raised seal” birth certificate which we obtained from our county courthouse not the birth certificate from the hospital which my mother had in her files.

When we first got passports, DW had a problem. Her mother had cleaned things out and sent us the hospital birth certificate and thrown out the real one. DW had to apply to the local town where she was born to get a duplicate because the hospital one was not accepted.

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

THAT is my point! If there is an emergency and you need to fly home, you will need a Passport.

2 minutes ago, nini said:

THAT is my point! If there is an emergency and you need to fly home, you will need a Passport.

A passport is still not required.  And, if you need to fly home from overseas, without a passport, you still can get home, it just takes more work.  The US consulates deal with these problems all the time, and will provide a temporary passport once citizenship and identity is determined.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

My husband and I both had "Certificate of Birth for a Child Born Abroad" for years, which were on incredibly thin paper. I was getting really worried about them standing up and we just went ahead and got our passports about 20 years ago... haven't looked back since. But traveling with something other than an easily recognized birth certificate did have its own interesting moments over the years! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

A passport is still not required.  And, if you need to fly home from overseas, without a passport, you still can get home, it just takes more work.  The US consulates deal with these problems all the time, and will provide a temporary passport once citizenship and identity is determined.

And the OP (or anyone for that matter) would want to deal with that process when a loved has an emergency at home or the traveler needs heart surgery? NOT FOR ME!