Labadee, Haiti-What happens if unrest?

At this point...the "private" Labadee property is a risk.

Based on what happened to the President of that country this week...the Royal Caribbean Labadee property fencing and "protection" might only protect from amateur problem seekers.

This has long-term implications for that private port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

While it is rare they absolutely have given OBC to compensate for missed ports

And you absolutely right...as usual.  I will sometimes pull up my ongoing OBC balance while on the ship...only to see 10-15  bucks added for refunded port fees.  Has happened many times.  🙂  Was not always missed ports...mostly were "adjustments".  

5 hours ago, Bobal said:

I agree. Last time we called there we said if we visited again we'd stay on the ship

I feel the same about San Juan boring as heck.  I never get off the ship when we hit San Juan ever. I must say I do love Labadee and Coco Cay though. Everyone has their tastes and preferences 🙂

Edited by Jtd724

6 minutes ago, Jtd724 said:

I feel the same about San Juan boring as heck.  I never get off the ship when we hit San Juan ever. I must say I do love Labadee and Coco Cay though. Everyone has their tastes and preferences 🙂

Your right. I always look forward to returning to San Juan.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bobal said:

I agree. Last time we called there we said if we visited again we'd stay on the ship

If you like beaches Labadee is great. There are two sides. Columbus Beach is outstanding. It is at the end of one side of the tiny peninsula. You can walk a half mile or so or take a tram car. The you walk through a gauntlet of several stores perhaps spending several bucks on an item with not everyone having to spend that. Then you get to the beach and somebody will get you your relaxing chairs. So if it is a few to more give the person ten bucks or so total.  So if five people you spend 15 bucks on the shops total and 10 bucks on the recliners on the beach. 

53 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Based on what happened to the President of that country this week...the Royal Caribbean Labadee property fencing and "protection" might only protect from amateur problem seekers.

Seems to me an American ship tied up to the dock could become a sitting duck for an attack from the sea.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bobal said:

Well actually we missed a port stop to Coco Cay as the ship couldn't dock there due to high winds and got an OBC of $90, so it does happen

Your Lucky, Missing Labadee or Coco Cay once for 2hrs we got free drinks, another time got Zero. Extra Sea Day. And back then they wouldnt give Port Tax back from any other missed Ports

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, atricks said:

Either way first cruise back to Labadee is the Aug 15, Allure, so that'll be one to watch for info there.  I don't know if any ship has been down there since the shutdown.    

I'm going to correct myself here, the original Allure itinerary went to Labadee, but it got changed in early June, and no longer does.

I have no idea when the first scheduled stop to there actually is after the restart.  I'm booked for Sept 5 on Odyssey, which does have Labadee as a stop (still), wonder if mine will be the first or the ports will change.

27 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Seems to me an American ship tied up to the dock could become a sitting duck for an attack from the sea.

Issues are nothing new. Civil War, overthrow Govt/Coup, along with Earthquakes and Hurricanes, all common there in last 30yrs. Most of the time ships continued to Labadee, or soon after with no issues

Edited by ONECRUISER

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Your right. I always look forward to returning to San Juan.

Me too.  Though the visiting ships that dock in town are the best location. 

The embarkation port....eh...unless you like to watch small planes land.  😉  But easy to take a taxi into Old Town on turn around days from there anyway.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Agree...the sea would be the only way since Labadee is on the far north over the steep mountains.  It is also guarded, blocked off by very high fencing and armed guards.  

IMHO..the only "attack from the sea" would be from locals in rowing type skiffs. 😉 Anything other than that...try looking out to sea with binoculars when you are docked there.  I always count at least two gun boats.  The little port is big money to the Haitians.  They have a stake in protecting those tourist's dollars.   

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Me too.  Though the visiting ships that dock in town are the best location. 

The embarkation port....eh...unless you like to watch small planes land.  😉  But easy to take a taxi into Old Town on turn around days from there anyway.  

I agree. I really like San Juan as a port of call with the ship right in town.

• Like 3

I quite enjoy Labadee as a port stop. We always head straight for Columbus Cove; it's the furthest beach from the pier, and while you have to "run the gauntlet" of local "artisans" selling "handmade" "crafts" at "low, low prices" you are rewarded with a great beach with great views of the moored ship. And because it's the furthest away, it's usually the least crowded beach.  And perhaps most importantly, since Labadee is RCL property, drink packages apply! 

The port is well-guarded and secure. I don't expect any ships to deviate from any planned stops due to a touch of political unrest in a country which is almost always in some form of upheaval.

That said, I think Haiti as a country is a complete failure. When they had that massive earthquake in 2010, I was very vocal in my opinion: instead of sending aid dollars, countries should just set up emigration tents. Instead of giving the corrupt, inept government there $100,000,000 to no effect, give each person $100,000 and refugee status in a first world country. For the same amount of money, you can actually help people. Then, they can abandon that god-forsaken rock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

That would be a big mistake unless the attackers want a personal visit from SEAL Team 6. Didn't work out well for Somalia pirates.

Years ago we had docked at Labadee, Haiti.  They did not let anyone off the ship.  There were people in boats all around protesting.  We stayed for a while and then left.  So I would I would guess that the ship wouldn’t stop.  At times there were US military helicopters flying around the area.

Edited by Dett

11 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I have had ports canceled from everything including "too foggy" to "hostile air force buzzing the ship, previous cruise".  

This has certainty piqued my curiosity. Where was it and which air force?

We think that the US military was Coast Guard probably from Guantanamo.  It was a little frightening but felt better after helicopters came.  The workers at Labadee stood on the jet ski docks looking at the ship.  Guess they were seeing their money go away, I think that RCCL ships didn’t stop there for a while.

1 hour ago, Dett said:

We think that the US military was Coast Guard probably from Guantanamo.  It was a little frightening but felt better after helicopters came.  The workers at Labadee stood on the jet ski docks looking at the ship.  Guess they were seeing their money go away, I think that RCCL ships didn’t stop there for a while.

I remember when that happened 

17 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Issues are nothing new. Civil War, overthrow Govt/Coup, along with Earthquakes and Hurricanes, all common there in last 30yrs. Most of the time ships continued to Labadee, or soon after with no issues

Every incident is unique - the latest one especially egregious.

17 hours ago, yogimax said:

Does RCCL have any US flagged ships?  The US Navy has a very (!) limited role in foreign countries. 

In my experience sailing in the Bahamas and BVIs, the local patrol boats keep a watchful eye on major tourism ports.   (You can see this on the Nassau Webcam when cruise ships are docked).   But as a terrorist, disrupting tourism is a major "lever" and gets your "cause" massive global media attention.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. I really like San Juan as a port of call with the ship right in town.

I love it too.  What's not to like, walk right into Old Town right from the ship!  We have a favorite local's hang restaurant way up the hill overlooking the coast and the old fort we love to go to.  Great food and Margaritas!  🙂 

Wonderful town to walk around in.  

• Like 4