The Daily for Saturday Jul 10, 2021

Today is National Kitten Day, Teddy Bear Picnic Day, and Pick Blueberries Day

"Begin at once to live, and count each separate day as a separate life. - Seneca"

Meal suggestion for today - Broccoli Cheese Soup

Drink of the Day - Beachcomber's Gold

Wine of the day - François Villard 2017 Les Contours de Deponcins Viognier (Vin de France) Franc

Destination of the Day - Scarborough Trinidad and Tobago

At Sea Gulf of California
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 7/15

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Seattle eta 7/14
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 7/12
Zuiderdam Drifting off Mexico

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stiffup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Operations off Greece

Scheveningen
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0710Europe.thumb.png.8578035004737a6cc227df123b06ff5d.png

0710USA.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  The only way I can pick blueberries is if I eat them simultaneously.  I'll salute kittens and love the idea of a teddy bear picnic.  I love the quote as well.  It looks like I was in Scarborough Groundhog Day on the Maasdam.  I'll pass on the meal suggestion while my alternative  may be a bit strange.  It's actually a combination of lunch and dinner dishes, Tim Hortons Chicken Noodle Soup and Panera Macaroni and Cheese.  It dates to July 10, 2018 in New York.  Those were my choices the day I arrived in New York beginning my rail crossing of North America on the way to my Volendam/Westerdam Grand Alaska journey.  There is (or at least was) a Timmies in the Penn Station Concourse and a Panera about 2 blocks to the south.

dishes10.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Montgomery County PA Vol FF Sean DeMuynck in a Line of Duty Death 7/4.
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Momaofami adapting to Sam at home
Marmot@sea’s cousin 4km from wildfire
Pope Francis in hospital
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Scout Luke G in hospital(improving somewhat)
Kazu  in the path of Elsa
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor
wandb’s sister heading to surgery 7/13

From the rotation:
wandb sister-finished with aggressive ovarian cancer treatment
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
NextOne’s family gathering for DH Memorial Service
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Sharon’s mom doing well after surgery
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, but I think we'll BBQ instead, the soup will be good on another day.

Hope the wine and drink of the day are tasty too.

Rejoice with those that rejoice, weep with those that weep.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Saturday.  Stay safe.

• Like 21

Good Morning. Kittens are cute but DW is seriously allergic to them. Teddy bear picnic brings back a memory from my childhood. There was a song with that title. The opening line was "If you go out in the woods today - - - " Anyone remember that?

Between Rich's soup and Roy's meal we have a lot of comfort food. At all sounds good.

Everyone stay safe.

Jim

• Like 19

Good morning.  Great group of days.  Love my not so young (16 yrs.) kitten, and had a Teddy Bear picnic every year when I was teaching K.  Loved the song and book.  Blueberry picking was in May here. Interesting quote.  GREAT meal suggestion.  Have not been to todays port, looking forward to the photo's. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Continue to stay safe, social distance when you can, and wear your mask.

Beachcomber's Gold:

2 oz of Light Rum
1/2 oz of dry vermouth
1/2 oz of sweet vermouth

Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well, strain into a cocktail glass over crushed ice, and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 7.31.11 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

It is shaping up to be a great day in northeast Ohio.   Not too hot, not too cold, and lots of sunshine.  I'm heading up to Cleveland to MC and event up there for the organization I work for.  

Interesting days today.  I'll admire the kitties from afar.  They usually set off my allergies and I need to carry to tissue box around with me.   I'd love to be invited to a teddy bear picnic.  When I was a kid my grandmother used to send us off to the nearby blueberry patch to pick berries.  Then, she'd make blueberry kuchen.   Mmmmmm.

Today's meal will be great for next fall.   It is a nice and hearty soup.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/broccoli-cheese-soup-recipe-2048976

705612908_BroccoliCheeseSoup.jpeg.ed75ed72c06d5dc7ec34b1c7344ab2f0.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Recorded by Canada’s own Anne Murray 

If you go down to the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go down to the woods today
You'd better go in disguise!

For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain,
Because today's the day the
Teddy Bears have their picnic.

Picnic time for Teddy Bears
The little Teddy Bears are having
A lovely time today.
Watch them, catch them unawares,
And see them picnic on their holiday.

See them gaily gad about.
They love to play and shout,
They never have any care;
At six o'clock their Mommies and Daddies
Will take them home to bed,
Because they're tired little Teddy Bears

Every Teddy Bear who's been good
Is sure of a treat today.
There's lots of marvelous things to eat
And wonderful games to play.

Beneath the trees where nobody sees
They'll hide and seek as long as they please
'Cause that's the way the

A lovely time today.
And see them frolic on their holiday

See them gaily gad about
Because they're tired little Teddy Bears.

If you go down to the woods today,
You'd better not go alone!
It's lovely down in the woods today,
But safer to stay at home!

For ev'ry bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the

A lovely time today.
And see them frolic on their holiday.

See them gaily gad about
Because they're tired little Teddy Bears.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

For today I grabbed another Port Nassau webcam photo of the sun coming up over the Crystal Serenity and Adventure of the Seas:

dawn0710nassau.JPG.da9eece8ee019ceab50de

Roy

• Like 27

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Teddy Bear picnics are fun for the young ones and fresh blueberries are always yummy.  I’m pretty sure a lot of the Dailyites will be celebrating kitten day

404CAA3E-FE97-4048-B904-D864351021F3.png.f3f2a418556839b6ec173d108a8d0dc9.png

I like the Seneca quote.  A good mantra to live by.  Love the meal suggestion but it’s going to be too hot for that today.

Today’s wine has viognier grapes.  I have a suspicion I’m going to like this one 😉 

@Cruising-alongwhen I saw this one, I thought of you and your struggle with the weed although I know it applies to a lot of garden club members 😉 

1BD132DB-B8F7-46AF-B52D-AEC9601FD3D0.jpeg.f282cd0b4e8988d29181575caa6c21dd.jpeg

Happy that Elsa has moved off.  It arrived earlier than forecast and left early this morning, thankfully.  My first glance this morning didn’t see anything serious but I’ll know more when I go around to clean up and survey.  The dahlias look ok 👍 

Looks like Elsa didn’t clean up the humidity by the feel of things.  I would have thought all that rain would have.  I wasn’t singing in the rain last night & have discovered not to sing in the shower.

1B3B366A-4F8F-4C89-9E8D-879D2970261E.jpeg.afdbd56e36260d93e6ae14524574d293.jpeg

Prayers for everyone the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

D65A1BC9-E485-4A57-ADE3-AE9B14B3C7EF.jpeg.d125c64369567966b271e8213890d92c.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Teddy bear picnic brings back a memory from my childhood. There was a song with that title. The opening line was "If you go out in the woods today - - - " Anyone remember that?

Big John & Sparky - Saturday morning radio show in younger days!  Thanks to @superoma for the lyrics.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 15

Looks like we are going to survive grandparent camp.

Today we give the little sweetie back to her mother and father. That’s one of the great asset of being a grandparent! You give them back!

Now all we have to do is meet half way and probably deal with heavy interstate travel.

Thanks for the report and the daily contributions.

• Like 23
  • Haha 3

Good  morning  to  all. Thanks  to  Rich  for  the  Daily,Roy  for  the  lists,Jacqui  for  the  good  laughs and  the  food  and  beverage  department. I  made  a  copy  of  the  recipe  for  the  soup  as  I  know  it  is  a DD  favorite but  I  will  wait  for  a  cooler  day.

I  would  certainly  attend  a  Teddy  Bear  picnic  and  will  have  to  wait  until  august  for  good  blueberry  picking.It  is  always  national  kitten  day  here as  there  are  3  outside  and  4  inside  kitties  living  with  DD  and  DSIL  next  door.Two  neighborhood  cats  take  up  residence  here  as  well.Very  smart.

@kazu, I  hope  the  storm  was  less  forceful  by  the  time it  got  to  you. Driving  down 95  south  yesterday   with  the  trucks,flooded  areas  and  scary  rain  was  an  experience  I  will never  forget!

It  is  good  to  be  home  but  I  am  missing  the  family  already. Today  I  will  have  to  get  out  to  the  store  of  groceries and  I  am  sure  it  will  not  be  as  festive  as  grocery  shopping  in  a  vacation  area.

The  storm  did  not  alter  the  humidity,it  is  a  whopping  80% right  now. The  sun  is  partially  out  and  the  dog  has  partially  forgiven  us  for  leaving  him. All  is  well!

Terry

• Like 21

24 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Great group of days.  Love my not so young (16 yrs.) kitten, and had a Teddy Bear picnic every year when I was teaching K.  Loved the song and book.  Blueberry picking was in May here. Interesting quote.  GREAT meal suggestion.  Have not been to todays port, looking forward to the photo's. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Continue to stay safe, social distance when you can, and wear your mask.

Beachcomber's Gold:

2 oz of Light Rum
1/2 oz of dry vermouth
1/2 oz of sweet vermouth

Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well, strain into a cocktail glass over crushed ice, and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 7.31.11 AM.png

Noy too fond of vermouth.  I might pass on this one if offered,

• Like 7

Rich Thanks for the DAILY fleet report.  It is nice to see the Nieuw Amsterdam is heading to Seattle.  There will be a test cruise before operations resume.  The long, long night mirror is coming to an end.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  The only way I can pick blueberries is if I eat them simultaneously.  I'll salute kittens and love the idea of a teddy bear picnic.  I love the quote as well.  It looks like I was in Scarborough Groundhog Day on the Maasdam.  I'll pass on the meal suggestion while my alternative  may be a bit strange.  It's actually a combination of lunch and dinner dishes, Tim Hortons Chicken Noodle Soup and Panera Macaroni and Cheese.  It dates to July 10, 2018 in New York.  Those were my choices the day I arrived in New York beginning my rail crossing of North America on the way to my Volendam/Westerdam Grand Alaska journey.  There is (or at least was) a Timmies in the Penn Station Concourse and a Panera about 2 blocks to the south.

dishes10.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Montgomery County PA Vol FF Sean DeMuynck in a Line of Duty Death 7/4.
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Momaofami adapting to Sam at home
Marmot@sea’s cousin 4km from wildfire
Pope Francis in hospital
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Scout Luke G in hospital(improving somewhat)
Kazu  in the path of Elsa
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor
wandb’s sister heading to surgery 7/13

From the rotation:
wandb sister-finished with aggressive ovarian cancer treatment
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
NextOne’s family gathering for DH Memorial Service
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Sharon’s mom doing well after surgery
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy:  Isn't the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing to Seattle worth a shout out?  Thanks for the lists.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu, I  hope  the  storm  was  less  forceful  by  the  time it  got  to  you. Driving  down 95  south  yesterday   with  the  trucks,flooded  areas  and  scary  rain  was  an  experience  I  will never  forget

Wow!  You were brave.  You wouldn’t have gotten me on our roads last night between the wind and rain.  Not that it would have done me much good.  Many roads here were closed for safety‘s sake as well as being impassable.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday morning all!  Thanks to Rich for the Daily today, also to Roy for his careful keeping of the Care and Cheer Lists, and to everyone else for their contributions.  Jacqui your memes are so good - I laughed a lot at the singing in the shower one.  Those marshmallow kitties are adorable!  Before I forget I loved the dahlia photo yesterday.  They are gorgeous.  I also love your peonies.  Debby, thanks for the menu descriptions and photos.  I love broccoli and cheese soup as served by Panera.  Fun fact - Panera was founded by a company in Kirkwood, Missouri (St. Louis suburb) and the chain was called St. Louis Bread Company.  It is still called St. Louis Bread Company there so if you're ever there and looking for Panera, now you know where to stop and eat.  And since SLBC/Paneras are air conditioned I still have soup in summer months.  Yum!

Love the Kitten Day, never heard the teddy bear picnic song, and have picked blueberries before but only in Michigan.  It's not as easy as it sounds.  Very hard work!

The port of the day didn't sound familiar to me so I checked my cruises, and we have only been to Port-of-Spain.  Maybe some day, Scarborough.  I hope to see some photos today and some ideas of what to do there, besides going to the beach.  Not my favorite activity.

Prayers to all on the Care List and Cheers to all on the Celebration List.  I have to remember to proofread because I noticed yesterday I cheered all those on the Care List.  😲

The washer just signaled it is finished so off to do more laundry.  Have a great day everyone.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love kittens, but have to keep away from them, lest they fall into my pocket and end up at home with me.  When I see all these cute little furballs, I can understand how easy it could be to become a crazy cat lady!  

Haven't had or attended a teddy bear picnic since our DS was small, but that gives me an idea for next month when our DGS's come for a visit . . . will have to locate all the old stuffies and put something together for them.  The other day it was blueberries day, and today we're told to pick them . . . maybe I'll just pick some up from the grocery store.

Another hot day on the "frozen tundra" with expected temp of 36C, which by itself is hot, but we also have 79% humidity, so it's sticky as well.  We have a wedding to attend this afternoon in a cathedral where although it seats 650, because of social distancing, there will be only 150 in attendance.  Due to Covid restrictions, there won't be a reception or dance, but the couple is planning a large gathering next summer where we can all celebrate their love.  I'm bringing a hand-held fan that I bought when we were in Thailand in 2019, as I don't know if the cathedral has A/C or not.

Although DH doesn't care for broccoli, he will eat broccoli cheese soup - Tim Horton's has good soup, and this is usually on their winter menu.  It's too hot for soup today, so I think we'll making use of the side burner on the barbecue.  I have a bunch of cooked rice, that will be turned into a fried rice dish with chunks of barbecued ham steaks mixed in as well.  Hopefully by the time we choose to eat, it will be comfortable enough to sit out in the pergola to enjoy our repast.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for those who were in Elsa's path . . . saw the flooding on TV last night - yikes!  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow!  You were brave.  You wouldn’t have gotten me on our roads last night between the wind and rain.  Not that it would have done me much good.  Many roads here were closed for safety‘s sake as well as being impassable.

I was  worried  about  picking  up Fred  at  the  dogsitters' house  and  thought  that  the  previous  days'  flooding  in  NY  was  the  worst  of  it.No,only  the  start. It  was  not  brave,just  plain  unwise! Whole  sections  of  95  northbound  were  down  to  one  lane.Southbound  had  some  delays  but  not  like  that. Those  people  probably  sat  there  for  quite  a  while.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2