Adventure PCR Testing Requirement

Hi Everyone,

RCL is requiring everyone leaving from Nassau to have a negative PCR test taken 5 days before departure. Questions for those that have sailed:

1.  Is 5 days the Monday or Tuesday before the Saturday departure?

2.  At your local Walgreens and CVS, how long does it take to get results back and what was out of pocket cost with insurance?  

Thank you!

I am taking a chance to ask this question. Does anyone know where you can get a reasonable PCR test in Toronto, Ontario? I did some research and it is in the neighborhood of $175 - $200 Canadian per person. So it adds up for the 2 of us.

Yes, Mon is the earliest acceptable date - five days prior to your Sat departure on Adventure.

I was away on Mon and scheduled mine at a Walgreens nearby for Tues @ 10AM. Received emailed results (Negative!) on Wed @ 2PM.

No out of pocket costs for any of my PCR tests, even w/ insurance. I'd also taken a test the week prior as a precaution to visit friends out of time.

I'm on Adventure now and everything went smoothly as I followed the checklist carefully and printed results and had original vax card.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise, too!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, gam888 said:

I am taking a chance to ask this question. Does anyone know where you can get a reasonable PCR test in Toronto, Ontario? I did some research and it is in the neighborhood of $175 - $200 Canadian per person. So it adds up for the 2 of us.

There is a lab based FHH doing Antigen within 1hr $125 and PCR $159 if done by noon you should receive result by midnight...use them for workplace and travel..proper paperwork and if by chance inconclusive they do a retest at no charge. GOING TO U.S not sure what cruises require test wise today-  is within 3 days prior coming back is within 72 hours from last direct flight and only PCR as of now. Remember to do your arrive can app. Also check your ins some do not cover cruises yet  They keep changing the requirements 

I googled "Covid PCR testing near me" and found a list of places.. then called for pricing and timing. You might try this... since availability will vary geographicly

Has anyone gotten a satisfactory explanation as to why vaccinated people need a PCR test within 5 days of sailing out of Bahamas...when Bahamas does not require it for vaccinated people and RCL does not require it for sailings out of Florida? I was told it was to make passengers more comfortable..but if that was true they would do so for Florida and other locations. Just wondering.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, kearney said:

Has anyone gotten a satisfactory explanation as to why vaccinated people need a PCR test within 5 days of sailing out of Bahamas...when Bahamas does not require it for vaccinated people and RCL does not require it for sailings out of Florida? I was told it was to make passengers more comfortable..but if that was true they would do so for Florida and other locations. Just wondering.

My theory is that they are doing this rather than the test at the pier that they did for the first (and second? or maybe just the first?) sailings. If somebody tested positive at the pier, Royal Caribbean had an expensive mess to sort out with getting the passengers quarantined or home. This way, if you test positive before you even get on your flight, you know not to go at all. I know that I would have been a nervous wreck sitting in the hotel ballroom waiting for the results! And I can't imagine the disappointment of seeing the ship just a few blocks away knowing that you can't get on. 

10 minutes ago, Booking It said:

My theory is that they are doing this rather than the test at the pier that they did for the first (and second? or maybe just the first?) sailings. If somebody tested positive at the pier, Royal Caribbean had an expensive mess to sort out with getting the passengers quarantined or home. This way, if you test positive before you even get on your flight, you know not to go at all. I know that I would have been a nervous wreck sitting in the hotel ballroom waiting for the results! And I can't imagine the disappointment of seeing the ship just a few blocks away knowing that you can't get on. 

They still do the PCR test for unvaccinated at the port... so there still is that risk...but..to your point..there are far fewer of these... so perhaps that is the actual reason... 

• Like 1

The actual policy is that a person’s PCR test be done “no more than  5 days prior to their arrival into the Country” and does not reference sailing date.  For example, we are arriving on Friday and will be tested on Sunday.  RCCL’s stated reasoning is that this will align with the BAHAMAS requirement for unvaccinated person to test 5 days prior to arriving into the Bahamas.  Should a parent already have to test their unvaccinated child, for example, 5 days prior to arriving, then RCCL requiring the same time frame makes sense.  See attached for RCCL’s detailed explanation.

7DD3040F-3520-4D26-8417-C2F535E9D72A.jpeg

22 hours ago, SailorMarg said:

The actual policy is that a person’s PCR test be done “no more than  5 days prior to their arrival into the Country” and does not reference sailing date.  For example, we are arriving on Friday and will be tested on Sunday.  RCCL’s stated reasoning is that this will align with the BAHAMAS requirement for unvaccinated person to test 5 days prior to arriving into the Bahamas.  Should a parent already have to test their unvaccinated child, for example, 5 days prior to arriving, then RCCL requiring the same time frame makes sense.  See attached for RCCL’s detailed explanation.

7DD3040F-3520-4D26-8417-C2F535E9D72A.jpeg

This may be the actual policy, but they are enforcing 5 days before sailing at the pier

So I am going on the 7/24 cruise and flying in the same day. I am scheduled for my covid test on Monday 7/19. Is that okay or should I change it to 7/20? I called Royal and didn’t get an answer. 

I'm totally confused here. Is this test required before arriving at Nassau? Or going back to the States?

I've done my share of research and as far as I know there's absolutely NO PCR test required if you're vaccinated (the only unvaccinated people are children under 16/12 (depending on the date).

To get into the Bahamas, you have the same criteria: NO test required assuming you're vaccinated.

Ok, I am finding this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=bahamas

Vaccinated Guest Testing Requirement and Mask Guidance

Testing
All guests age 2 and older will need to take a PCR test for COVID-19 no more than 5 days before arriving in The Bahamas. Vaccinated guests will need to show a printed copy of their negative result upon arriving at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau, where check-in for the cruise will take place. Registration details will be sent prior to sailing. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

So if I stay for a week in the Bahamas prior to the cruise, then I can take a test in the US? It says PCR test before arriving in The Bahamas, not before cruising?

I was way too concerned about this before our Adventure cruise (the second week it ran).  It is a pain, no doubt, but not anything to stress over.  RCL did antigen tests at the check in for the first cruise.  They laid the PCR requirement on us at the last minute, and their stated reasoning was we would know if we were positive before leaving US.

Go to Walgreens or CVS for an RT-PCR on the Monday before your cruise.  The test is free for almost everyone.  They send you results in about two days.  

If, something strange happens and you don’t get results in two days, then find a high priced RT-PCR with quick results.  

we were on the 6/19 Adventure sailing so it was 5 days before arrival in the Bahamas, not departure.  There was mass confusion on this, so RCL sent a clarification email about 4 days before sailing.  Not sure if it has changed since then though.

And you can't compare the CVC/Walgreens from 1 location to the next as CVS/Walgreens doesn't have their own lab, they just use the local 3rd party lab so it can vary widely.  Most people on our 6/19 sailing used CVS/Walgreens and had their results back in 1-2 days.  BUT NOT US. 

We tested on Tuesday (15th, due to the confusion) before the Saturday sailing at CVS in Virginia.  They told us 1-2 days.  Well come Thursday afternoon (2 days) we still didn't have our results and we were leaving on Friday so we were not going to chance it.  So we went on Thursday night and got a 1-2 hour PCR test.  Good thing we did, because my wife got her initial CVS results on Sunday (5 days) and I got my CVS results on Monday (6 days).

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC really refuses to give a real clarification. They simply need to say "yes, 5 days before entering the country, regardless of when your cruise is"

this is what they sent us prior to the 6/19 sailing when the PCR test was first introduced

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2016/Executive_Requests/16052976_Cruise_Advisory_Email/images/logo_hero.png

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Last Friday, we shared an update for your upcoming Adventure of the Seas cruise. We’ve been getting questions and would like to provide some clarity about the pre-cruise RT-PCR testing requirement for vaccinated guests.

Here are the questions we’re hearing most:

Why did you select “5 days prior” for the requirement? Does this mean the Monday or Tuesday prior to my sailing?

We wanted to align with The Bahamas Government requirement where non-vaccinated guests need to provide a negative test result from an RT-PCR test taken no more than 5 days prior to their arrival into the country. So, if you plan to arrive in The Bahamas on the day of embarkation (Saturday), the earliest you could take your test would be the Monday prior to sailing. You’ll then share your negative test result upon check-in for your cruise.

We figured this alignment would be most convenient for our guests as many are travelling with children who are unable to receive the vaccination at this time and already have the above testing timing requirement for entry into The Bahamas.

Why did you choose the RT-PCR test instead of another test with faster results for SARS-CoV-2?

While other rapid tests are available, the RT-PCR test is considered more accurate and has less false positives - so it’s a better option for our guests. Some places are still able to turnaround the RT-PCR results either the same day or in most cases, such as in North America, are now providing results in about 48 hours.

Why aren’t you administering the RT-PCR Test during check-in?

This additional layer of safety allows us to provide additional peace of mind during your cruise planning process. Rather than have the testing take place at check-in, having a completed test in advance speeds up the check-in process for you! In addition, pre-cruise testing allows guests to know their status in advance, rather than finding out on boarding day, so they can make their arrangements while they’re closer to home.

We’re sorry for any confusion - there have been many last-minute updates throughout this process, but know that our goal is always to keep you informed as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We’re looking forward to welcoming you onboard!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2016/Executive_Requests/16052976_Cruise_Advisory_Email/images/frame.png

There was apparently an issue with for the current sailing. Someone tested 5 days before arriving in the Bahamas and that was several days before the cruise. When they arrived at the port the 3rd party contractors said that the tests were not valid and were going to send them to a local hospital/clinic to have a PCR test done with no guarantee that the results would be back in time to sail. When they showed the check in people the verbiage on the website there was a concession and the passengers were required to take an antigen test there at check-in. 

Royal really need to get their stuff together on this. 

30 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's just it. That example still uses "before my sailing" as the baseline, not "before I enter the Bahamas"

Why did you select “5 days prior” for the requirement? Does this mean the Monday or Tuesday prior to my sailing?

We wanted to align with The Bahamas Government requirement where non-vaccinated guests need to provide a negative test result from an RT-PCR test taken no more than 5 days prior to their arrival into the country. 

this seems pretty clear that it is arrival in Bahamas, not sailing date.  I know that some people on our cruise did test 5 days before sailing, since they arrived in the Bahamas a couple days before the cruise and they had no issue at checkin.  

Again it might have changed since 6/19, so I can't speculate in that regards.

4 minutes ago, bstel said:

We wanted to align with The Bahamas Government requirement where non-vaccinated guests need to provide a negative test result from an RT-PCR test taken no more than 5 days prior to their arrival into the country. 

this seems pretty clear that it is arrival in Bahamas, not sailing date.  I know that some people on our cruise did test 5 days before sailing, since they arrived in the Bahamas a couple days before the cruise and they had no issue at checkin.  

Again it might have changed since 6/19, so I can't speculate in that regards.

But that's just it. It says "before entering the Bahamas" but anecdotal evidence of people trying to check in for a cruise says it's "before your cruise"