Who is your goto for annual travel insurance

bohaiboy

Not an individual trip or even trip cancellation.  I am referring to medical assistance and evacuation insurance, not reimbursement for the cruise.  I find the per cruise with cancellation to be outrageously expensive and one usually has to pay up front when the cruise is booked, so sometimes a year or two out.  Thanks all.  BTW, the ones I have found are Blue Cross Blue Shield GEOBlue, Nationwide, and Medijet Assist.  There may be others, but these are generally less than $1000/yr and includes all travel more than $140 miles from your home and extended trips up to 90 days.

35 minutes ago, bohaiboy said:

Not an individual trip or even trip cancellation.  I am referring to medical assistance and evacuation insurance, not reimbursement for the cruise.  I find the per cruise with cancellation to be outrageously expensive and one usually has to pay up front when the cruise is booked, so sometimes a year or two out.  Thanks all.  BTW, the ones I have found are Blue Cross Blue Shield GEOBlue, Nationwide, and Medijet Assist.  There may be others, but these are generally less than $1000/yr and includes all travel more than $140 miles from your home and extended trips up to 90 days.

I agree that the per cruise insurance is terribly expensive.  The cancellation provisions are very severe.

Over the years, I self-insure, recognizing that I may have to pay for some services while abroad.  (My health insurance is pretty comprehensive, but with larger co-pays out of network. )  I believe that Medicare does not pay for service abroad.

While I largely self-insure, I do purchase Medjet Assist for evacuation coverage (which can be very costly if the distances are great).  The cost for that evacuation coverage is far less than $1,000, as I recall.

Anyone ever had to use emergency evacuation?  We were on a Celebrity cruise and a lady fell at Pompei and had to fly home, but she had local EMS and ER prior to a commercial flight home.

On 7/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, bohaiboy said:

Anyone ever had to use emergency evacuation?  We were on a Celebrity cruise and a lady fell at Pompei and had to fly home, but she had local EMS and ER prior to a commercial flight home.

Yes, my DW needed emergency air evacuation from Japan back to the USA.  In her case we were able to do it using commercial (Delta Airlines) lay flat seats which was covered by our insurance (GeoBlue).  I think many folks do not understand that when air evacuation is approved (by the physicians and insurance companies) they will do everything possible to do it via commercial aircraft.  Use of private air ambulances (a very expensive proposition) is viewed as the option of last resort.  I have been told that the large majority of worldwide air evacs are done via commercial carriers although I have not been able to verify that this is true.

Hank

On 7/14/2021 at 2:22 PM, bohaiboy said:

Looking at GeoBlue.  They seem to be the most reasonable with a lot of coverage.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see any trip cancellation coverage with Geo Blue. Alliantz has an annual policy with trip cancellation it's not much but it's better than nothing

GeoBlue is strictly medical and repatriation.  It does not cover trip cancellation.  But it is also only $350/year for me and my wife anywhere greater than 150 miles from your home.

Any thoughts on Travel Insured International, Annual Multi-Trip Protector?

$94/person. $100,000 Medical, $100,000 Medical Evac, and $150,000 Security Evac.

Regarding Medical Evac: It is when you need immediate Evac from a remote location (middle of the ocean or rain forest) to a hospital, that it can get quite expensive.

23 minutes ago, richmke said:

$94/person. $100,000 Medical, $100,000 Medical Evac, and $150,000 Security Evac.

Regarding Medical Evac: It is when you need immediate Evac from a remote location (middle of the ocean or rain forest) to a hospital, that it can get quite expensive.

Actually the middle of the ocean scenario is handled by Coast Guard or equivalent depending on where you are, and you have to be within range. It is done at no cost to you as part of their mission to aid ships at sea. When you think about it, they are the only ones with the equipment and training to do it.

Nevertheless, the rest of you evacuation from a remote place can be expensive.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:11 PM, bohaiboy said:

GeoBlue is strictly medical and repatriation.  It does not cover trip cancellation.  But it is also only $350/year for me and my wife anywhere greater than 150 miles from your home.

I also don't think that GeoBlue covers Covid quarantine.  That is what I saw on their web page.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:22 PM, Babr said:

Actually the middle of the ocean scenario is handled by Coast Guard or equivalent depending on where you are, and you have to be within range. It is done at no cost to you as part of their mission to aid ships at sea. When you think about it, they are the only ones with the equipment and training to do it.

Nevertheless, the rest of you evacuation from a remote place can be expensive.

The truth is that the "middle of the ocean scenario" is generally handled by nobody.   When a ship is out of range of any helicopter (generally no more then about 375 miles from shore) the ship will need to handle the emergency onboard while they try to get to the nearest port orwithin range of air evac.  We actually were aboard a HAL ship (on a transpacific cruise) where the Navy Seal special helicopter folks from El Coronado evacuated a passenger when we were still out of range.  It was done with the air of a KC130 tanker aircraft which was able to do a midair refueling of a Navy Seal helicopter (within sight of our ship) which winched the seriously ill passenger off the deck (he was flows to San Diego).

These kind of rescues are done at no cost to the passenger and there is an international agreement which covers this kind of thing around the world.   Once the chopper gets the passenger to land then any evacuation is at the expense of the passenger.

Hank

On 7/20/2021 at 2:11 PM, bohaiboy said:

Hi bohaiboy,

Geo Blue only covers you outside the USA.

Steve Dasseos

On 7/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, NMTraveller said:

I also don't think that GeoBlue covers Covid quarantine.  That is what I saw on their web page.

I'm looking at them currently and trying to compare to MedJet.    GeoBlue is covering Covid treatment from July 1 but not evacuation.    I just happen to be on both sights so will paste what they say.

GeoBlue Voyager and Trekker plans

Medically necessary treatment for COVID-19 is covered as an Illness under GeoBlue Voyager and Trekker plans, up to age 95. As of January 1st, 2021, medically necessary COVID-19 treatment is covered, however the policy deductible applies (if applicable).

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 3:11 PM, bohaiboy said:

I think we are going to get that one as well. Was debating between that one and Allianz

We have had a annual Allianz plan for 6 years and they have added Covid coverage but it isn’t yet available in some states.  The plans revision has not been approved for Texas & I believe some other states.  
We may have to add another single trip plan for a January trip to SouthAfrica. But I think we will keep Allianz, just reduce the $ coverage,  since with the continuous coverage we  don’t have to be concerned about pre-existing comnditions.

8 hours ago, molly361 said:

I think we are going to get that one as well. Was debating between that one and Allianz

Pre COVID, the reason I got GeoBlue Trekker is for the medical and medical evacuation coverage. I usually use my credit card or self insure for trip cancelation and interruption.  The reason I passed on the annual Allianz plans in the past was the medical coverage was too low.  I believe it was $20K per trip for the lower end plans and $50K for the higher end plans.  Unless those numbers have been increased, they are too low for my risk tolerance.  I can afford to pay the small stuff but I want plenty of insurance for an unplanned big ticket item.

Even if you are over 70, you can still get $100K (per year) from GeoBlue.  Hopefully this is enough for most situations.

COVID related medical evacuation is also important, so I will look more carefully before my next trip.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 4:53 PM, richmke said:

I am also looking at Travel Insured Int'l which is Crum & Forster company. Only $94 annual and kicks in when traveling over 100 miles from home is my understanding.  Available for up to 80 years old. Can add trip cancellation and other coverage on an as needed basis.  We generally get trip cancellation thru USAA which uses this company anyway.  Never had to file claim, but my sister did last year after a COVID cancellation.  Took a while, but reimbursement came through.

Not really interested in GeoBlue as that is a BC/BS company and being in the medical insurance field for many years too many awful experiences with them(generally NOT) paying claims.  Even within my own family refused emergency surgery charges for my niece traveling to Colorado.  They are basic idiots is what it comes down to and please watch for "Usual and Customary".  Their UC reimbursement might be 10% on the dollar.  Not kidding.  Make sure you understand before purchasing.

Does anyone have any experience with the Travel Insured International Multi-trip plan ? We have always purchased individual trip cancellation/medical/ evacuation policies for each cruise.  But that getting pretty expensive as we get older.  Considering an annual plan for emergency evacuation/medical and taking advantage of the trip cancellation coverage which comes with Chase Sapphire.  Anyone please chime in.  Thanks.

Jane

I recently purchased Travel Insured International Multi-trip Plan. I have no claims experience with them. I purchased it because I will be doing a number of trips in the next year. Much cheaper than buying individual plans.

I would call the plan "work in progress". It covers the basics (medical and evac), which is what I wanted it for. The optional stuff could use a little work. I would like it if you could increase the amount of medical and evac. What is covered in the option stuff is not clearly defined (what is covered under the optional "bed rest" policy? If two people are covered, will they both get the benefit if one person gets sick (COVID and both persons are quarantined)? Meals are not covered.

Some interesting facets of the plan are:

1) For Optional Trip Cancellation, you increase the policy as your "non-refundable" portions increase. If you have a $100 non-refundable deposit 12 months out, then that is all you need to insure. If it goes to $1,000 90-days out (final payment date), then you increase the amount then.

2) I will be renting a car for 2 days during a 10 day vacation. I can add the optional rental car coverage for only those 2 days, and not the entire trip.

3) I'll wait until closer to the actual time of the trip to see about adding "bed rest". If there is a COVID surge at that time, $14/person seems cheap to protect against a 2 week hotel bill if one of us comes down with COVID.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm looking at an annual coverage contract as well.  We have, for the past several years, used Travel Insured per trip insurance.

We did have one claim.  My wife was having chest pains on the final night of a cruise.  Turned out to be a gall bladder issue but all of the tests, treatment and diagnosis were covered 100% (of course, I had to pay upfront and then claim the amount, it was settled within a couple of weeks).

Now, has anyone used one of the companies to return a sick or injured person home?  Would the $100k that Travel Insured covers you for be adequate?

Thanks for any insight.