Scooter question on Zuiderdam

I have posted this on the "Disabled Cruise Travel"  thread but thought I'd post here as well hoping that some of the CCers here on the general HAL board might be able to help me as well.

My DH has recently been diagnosed with Atypical Parkinsonism and it is more and more difficult for him to walk any distance. I am considering renting a scooter to take on an 18 day cruise R/T out of SD but I'm not sure that the scooter will actually fit through the cabin doorway..and if it does if I can "park" it between 2 twin beds..there is enough space between the beds but I'm concerned about "making the turn" at the base of the beds with the scooter.

There are no cabins available that provide the wider doorways etc. ..we are booked in a standard balcony. I could rent a wheelchair..but that of course means I have to push him for those 18 days!! 🙂  I have called the Access Dept at HAL but some of the measurements (like the distance between the end of the bed and the wall) are unavailable. Any help is so appreciated..this is a brand new world for us both.

It would be exceeding tight. There would be no real room to get on or off the scooter, especially if flexibility is constrained.

HAL does not permit scooters to be stored outside of one’s own cabin, which I strongly agree with.

If a passenger who does not need the accessibility features of a cabin but has booked one, HAL can and is supposed to move them. It does not matter if you need one or all accessibility feature, it’s a simple yes/no.

Happy sailing!

Many times I have seen a room steward take a scooter away from a room at night.  I've also seen them overnight in elevator lobbies.  There must be a solution to this.

Having sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam with my traveling companion who required a scooter, a regular veranda stateroom will be very uncomfortably "tight".  We booked a Signature Suite and it was just adequate.  Nadine had her side of the stateroom where there was room for the scooter to be stored and plugged in to recharge its battery.  I had my side of the stateroom.  

Recommendation by me:  change the type of stateroom that you are booking!  

Posted (edited)

As one who managed a scooter passenger for 8 years including three Zuiderdam cruises, I know that scooters do not fit in any staterooms other than Neptune Suites and Handicapped rooms.  The latter two categories have enough parking space and doorways wide enough for you to pass.  As stated above, you may not park your scooter outside your room door but may pause there to load/unload the operator.  HAL does provide a parking area in housekeeping where you can park the scooter.  The ship may provide someone to pickup/deliver the scooter when you need it but that must be arranged with the ship.

Itis important that you complete the Accessibility Form when booking and then contact HAL Ships Services to make parking arrangements.

By completing the form, you will have someone meet you at the SD terminal with a wheelchair to move your DH through the check-in process and taken to the scooter onboard the ship.  While you are getting your scooter briefing, make sure you ask where you can charge the scooter since you cannot charge in your stateroom.  Make sure you also drive the scooter in case you will be driving it to the parking area.  FWIW scooters can drive a lot faster than you can walk so you will saying a lot of, "Hey, wait for me" to your DH.

Your DH will really enjoy the freedom of movement that a scooter provides and the HAL ship staff will ensure that your scooter will not detract from your cruise experience.

At the end of your cruise in SD, you will leave the scooter near the ship exit and your DH will be pushed by HAL provided wheelchair to the terminal.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

Many times I have seen a room steward take a scooter away from a room at night.  I've also seen them overnight in elevator lobbies.  There must be a solution to this.

Maybe another example of inconsistency on a HAL ship?  It was made very clear to us on the Nieuw Amsterdam that the scooter had to remain in our Suite during the night.  

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I know that scooters do not fit in any staterooms other than Neptune Suites and Handicapped rooms. 

They do fit in a Signature Suite, but a Neptune Suite would be better.

3 minutes ago, Crew News said:

HAL does provide a parking area in housekeeping where you can park the scooter.  The ship may provide someone to pickup/deliver the scooter when you need it but that must be arranged with the ship.

Absolutely was unaware of this!  Is this another example of what is done one one ship and not done on another?

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Itis important that you complete the Accessibility Form when booking and then contact HAL Ships Services to make parking arrangements.

By completing the form, you will have someone meet you at the SD terminal with a wheelchair to move your DH through the check-in process and taken to the scooter onboard the ship.  While you are getting your scooter briefing,

I have no knowledge if this Form was provided to Nadine or not.  She received her tickets, etc. and I received mine.  There was wheelchair assistance to get her onboard at Port Everglades.  There was no scooter briefing. 

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

At the end of your cruise in SD, you will leave the scooter near the ship exit

No.  She was specifically instructed to leave the scooter in our Suite.  She used her cane to help her to walk to the disembarkation area.  The requirements for her to disembark occurred significantly earlier than what we were told they would be.  She was dressed and was ready.  I was still in my pajamas.  She had no opportunity to eat breakfast.  I was unable to accompany her.  I even received a phone call from the Front Office asking after she had just left our suite:  "where the heck are you"?  They were unaware that I needed no assistance and sounded disappointed that I would not be disembarking for some time.  (I hadn't had breakfast yet, either.)   I was not at all pleased with the way this was handled by the Front Office.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I know that scooters do not fit in any staterooms other than Neptune Suites and Handicapped rooms. 

This is incorrect. The inside cabins on Main Deck only are the best suited non-accessible cabins for someone who has a scooter. I've had one in every Vista and Signature ship, many times over. 

All the doorways are (barely) large enough to allow a scooter through. The problem becomes what is next after the doorway. Many/most cabins have a corridor formed by the outside wall of  the bathroom, and closets. That area is just about as narrow as the doorway, so keeping the scooter straight enough to get through would take excellent driving, every time. 
The next challenge is where to put the scooter, and turning it around once you get in the cabins. You have to have room to turn it around, as that is the only way to get back out of the cabin. 

I have never stayed in any of the suites, but have visited in everything, including Pinnacle Suite. I wouldn't try a scooter in anything other than an accessible cabin, or one of the insides on Main Deck. It's just too tight, and too problematic, in the other cabins. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RuthC said:

This is incorrect. The inside cabins on Main Deck only are the best suited non-accessible cabins for someone who has a scooter. I've had one in every Vista and Signature ship, many times over. 

All the doorways are (barely) large enough to allow a scooter through. The problem becomes what is next after the doorway. Many/most cabins have a corridor formed by the outside wall of  the bathroom, and closets. That area is just about as narrow as the doorway, so keeping the scooter straight enough to get through would take excellent driving, every time. 
The next challenge is where to put the scooter, and turning it around once you get in the cabins. You have to have room to turn it around, as that is the only way to get back out of the cabin. 

I have never stayed in any of the suites, but have visited in everything, including Pinnacle Suite. I wouldn't try a scooter in anything other than an accessible cabin, or one of the insides on Main Deck. It's just too tight, and too problematic, in the other cabins. 

Thanks for adding the inside cabins on main deck to the list. 

Indeed, the doorways are a tight fit making it imperative that you get used to the speed controls before trying to enter a cabin.  A quick ride around the aft Lido area will give you a chance  to practice while moving around the chairs/tables.  I have 8 years of damaged doorways from bad scooter driving.

Bring a rubber door stop to keep your door open if you are moving the scooter into your cabin

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

No.  She was specifically instructed to leave the scooter in our Suite.  She used her cane to help her to walk to the disembarkation area.  The requirements for her to disembark occurred significantly earlier than what we were told they would be.  She was dressed and was ready.  I was still in my pajamas.  She had no opportunity to eat breakfast.  I was unable to accompany her.  I even received a phone call from the Front Office asking after she had just left our suite:  "where the heck are you"?  They were unaware that I needed no assistance and sounded disappointed that I would not be disembarking for some time.  (I hadn't had breakfast yet, either.)   I was not at all pleased with the way this was handled by the Front Office.

IIRC the Accessibility Form had a place to request assistance embarking/disembarking the ship

Every port is different as some scooter collection points are in a bar near the disembarkation gangway.  There are not enough wheelchair pushers so it takes awhile to clear all those waiting to disembark.

If your scooter will not fit in your room, the Front desk will provide instructions for leaving your scooter at another location.

In Port Everglades, you pick up your scooter near the terminal entrance and drop it off at the same spot when you disembark the ship.

Experience sharing here on CC is always a learning experience and being able to "know before you go" helps the cruise planning that ensures your cruise takes advantage of every opportunity.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

I have sailed with a small 3 wheel scooter on several HAL ships. Always booked regular balcony rooms. It’s tight but manageable between the bottom of the bed and wall.  Easy to turn around.  The rear width is 19”.   Maybe if renting you could ask for a small one.  3 point turns on elevators. Lol.   

5 hours ago, highscar said:

I have sailed with a small 3 wheel scooter on several HAL ships. Always booked regular balcony rooms. It’s tight but manageable between the bottom of the bed and wall.  Easy to turn around.  The rear width is 19”.   Maybe if renting you could ask for a small one.  3 point turns on elevators. Lol.   

Just a clarification of parking a rented scooter in a verandah cabin.  A cabin door opens into the stateroom with the bathroom door on on one side and closets on the other with an estimated two inches on each side of a scooter.  Whether you back in or back out, it would be a real test of engineering (turning radius).  If you can get the scooter inside, you would have to climb over the seat, or over the handle bars, to get off the scooter and into the cabin.  Getting to the bathroom or to open all of your closets, you would have to climb over the scooter.

Posted (edited)

@CatherineFromForneyTX has recently become mobility limited. We knew mobility aids would now need to be acquired/used for travel. The photo below is from maiden voyage of her new scooter during a road trip we recently took to the Texas Hill Country. It has worked very well for her while being compact and easy to transport.

It is called an Optimus, named after the Transformer character as it folds and unfolds itself into a compact package at the touch of a button. Kind of fun to watch! The other photo is in the folded position. Even if not easy to ride into/out the room, it can be quickly folded in the hall and rolled into the room like a suitcase.

It is 20" wide (without armrests, she does not use them). When folded it rolls like a 2 wheel suitcase using the handlebar as a handle. Weighs 52 pounds. There is another brand called "Transformer" that is VERY similar (and probably first 😉).

I think it will work well for our upcoming Japan cruise (March/April 2022). We have a Signature Suite booked on the Noordam. I do have a concern that it will survive air transport. It is a pretty rugged little chunk, but baggage handling is always a bit of a crapshoot. Anyone have experience regarding that? I have poked around on the CruiseCritic Disabled Cruise Travel forum and resources and will continue to do so.

!955372238_20210711_1151391.thumb.jpg.6c5d1938c5cb71aab855dfdc9f27cee1.jpg

20210604_121356[1].jpg

Edited by KJ Knowles
Photo order
  • Like 2

I have always have a good reception at airports. They are advised in advance that I have one. I ride it up to the plane door. Upon landing I wait and it comes up to the plane door again and off I go. You need papers that explain  the type of battery. Mine is sealed cell. 

1 minute ago, KJ Knowles said:

@CatherineFromForneyTX has recently become mobility limited. We knew mobility aids would now need to be acquired/used for travel. The photo below is from maiden voyage of her new scooter during a road trip we recently took to the Texas Hill Country. It has worked very well for her while being compact and easy to transport.

It is called an Optimus, named after the Transformer character as it folds and unfolds itself into a compact package at the touch of a button. Kind of fun to watch! The other photo is in the folded position. Even if not easy to ride into/out the room, it can be quickly folded in the hall and rolled into the room like a suitcase.

It is 20" wide (without armrests, she does not use them). When folded it rolls like a 2 wheel suitcase using the handlebar as a handle. Weighs 52 pounds. There is another brand called "Transformer" that is VERY similar (and probably first 😉).

I think it will work well for our upcoming Japan cruise (March/April 2022). We have a Signature Suite booked on the Noordam. I do have a concern that it will survive air transport. It is a pretty rugged little chunk, but baggage handling is always a bit of a crapshoot. Anyone have experience regarding that? I have poked around on the CruiseCritic Disabled Cruise Travel forum and resources and will continue to do so.

!955372238_20210711_1151391.thumb.jpg.6c5d1938c5cb71aab855dfdc9f27cee1.jpg

20210604_121356[1].jpg

Check with the airline but you should be able to drive your scooter right down the jetway (best to have someone in front of you if the jetway is steep) to the aircraft door where you will surrender the scooter just like it was a baby stroller.  It does not get mixed up with all of the other luggage on the aircraft.  It will be brought back to you at the aircraft door to continue your journey.  It will have the same care as a baby stroller. 

If the airline requires you to check the scooter as baggage, I would strongly suggest getting a strong canvas bag  to keep the scooter from being tangled with luggage straps in the baggage compartment

When traveling with a scooter, take every opportunity in the airport to charge it.  The drive up a steep aircraft jetway will use a lot of your battery power. 

With the carrying strap adjusted, a small duffel bag can fit on the back but give it a try before you leave for your cruise.

There is enough space in an SS stateroom (SS example below) for storage once you get past the closets.  You can always collapse and turn it around for the drive out.  A little practice on making a really sharp turn into a doorway will help.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam-Staterooms/SS6082.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Crew News said:

There is enough space in an SS stateroom (SS example below) for storage once you get past the closets. 

This is the type of stateroom that my traveling companion and I had.  There is plenty of room between the bed and the desk area even with the beds separated to make two singles.

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

In Port Everglades, you pick up your scooter near the terminal entrance and drop it off at the same spot when you disembark the ship

It was a cruise from Port Everglades where she needed to have a scooter.  As I posted, she was specifically told to leave the scooter in our suite when she disembarked.  When we embarked, the scooter was in our suite waiting for us.  Maybe the procedures change from time to time, cruise to cruise?  

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is the type of stateroom that my traveling companion and I had.  There is plenty of room between the bed and the desk area even with the beds separated to make two singles.

It was a cruise from Port Everglades where she needed to have a scooter.  As I posted, she was specifically told to leave the scooter in our suite when she disembarked.  When we embarked, the scooter was in our suite waiting for us.  Maybe the procedures change from time to time, cruise to cruise?  

When you order you have the.option of pick up at the kiosk or delivered to your cabin.  Then you.leave it in your cabin when disembarking and have wheelchair assistance provided by the ship.

20 hours ago, Crew News said:

While you are getting your scooter briefing, make sure you ask where you can charge the scooter since you cannot charge in your stateroom. 

We have an accessible room. Are you saying that we can't charge a scooter in the room? If not, where would you charge it?

Other cruiselines give heavy duty extension cords to use for scooter rental. Does HAL?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, katrina915 said:

We have an accessible room. Are you saying that we can't charge a scooter in the room? If not, where would you charge it?

Other cruiselines give heavy duty extension cords to use for scooter rental. Does HAL?

You can charge in your stateroom but you can charge all over the ship as well. You do get a charging cable on rental scooters and you can carry with you.  Might be a good idea to take it with you if taking the scooter on an excursion.

My suggestion was charging your personal scooter when traveling through an airport.

With limited electrical outlets on the ship, charging a scooter will occupy one of them.  Look inside any cabinet/desk with a lamp and you might find an electrical outlet inside.

Edited by Crew News

We purchased a Luggie Scooter Elite Plus 4. It folds up extremely small in either a flat or Cube shape. It is only 18" Wide so it does fit through the door (we travel without the arm rests (Seldom use them anyway). Unit weigh only 70 lbs - so can be used on tenders (on HAL). 

I got their top end 4-wheel unit - primarily for a bit more stability than three wheel units (The two front are narrower than the rear) and the automatic speed control when cornering (Automatically slows down on sharp corners - prevents tip-over) - wife thought I was crazy to spend extra for unit with that - till she started driving it - Unit can make very tight corners - this automatically slows her down. Li ION batteries are removable (Needed to pull for transportation on airlines - and they are certified. )

I have the Luggie 4: Elite plus 4

• Weight Cap: 320 lbs

• Top Speed: 4mph

• Turning Raidus 36"-  Very tight corners - needed on narrow ship hallways

• Ground Clearance: 4.5"

• Range Up to 15 miles

Key Spec is 18" Wide - will get through any standard cabin door (Be very carful when you get to units that are like 22 " - the Cabin door size listed doe not usually account for the swung door (~2Inch reduction.) 

image.thumb.png.b2630e2fb23f6cb09e8829d5b6807723.png

Hmmm: It appears they have made a change, the current Elite plus 4 units fold flat (which is what we use when putting into the car/airplanes. but no longer fold into Qube/luggage shape (for storage in a closet/taxi) so make sure you check that if it is important. the Plus 3 does still fold into the luggage shape. Also looks like the Plus 4 widened out the front wheels. Chargable in the scooter (Used for travel) or in a home docking station.

These units are not cheep - Like $3,500 but they are very narrow (18") with sharp turning, 

No- I do not have any involvement with Luggie - or dealership.

4 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

When you order you have the.option of pick up at the kiosk or delivered to your cabin.  Then you.leave it in your cabin when disembarking and have wheelchair assistance provided by the ship.

To the best of my knowledge, Nadine had no such option.  

Perhaps, your information is based on more recent experiences than when we sailed in the mid-2010 teens?  

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

To the best of my knowledge, Nadine had no such option.  

Perhaps, your information is based on more recent experiences than when we sailed in the mid-2010 teens?  

Possibly. DH didn't need mobility assistance till around 2017.  Always booked through Special Needs at Sea