Jump to content

Do you get insurance for small, local cruises?


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Babr said:


Most likely your primary insurance will cover eligible expenses, but I expect it will be done at out-of-network rates for usual and customary fees. You could find yourself with larger than expected out-of-pocket and co-pay expenses.

Based on what?  Every employer that is self insured sets many of its own rules.  People should contact their plan and find out what is covered, if anything.  A former employer plan didn't pay anything outside the US.  The ships doctor was considered outside the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, shellunderwater said:

Based on what?  Every employer that is self insured sets many of its own rules.  People should contact their plan and find out what is covered, if anything.  A former employer plan didn't pay anything outside the US.  The ships doctor was considered outside the US.


Yes, I know insurance varies greatly, so it is hard to speak in generalities. Contacting your own carrier is the only way to know for sure. 
 

I was trying to keep from going into so many exceptions by speaking of most plans supplied by employers through a major insurance company, a Medicare Advantage plan, or even a Medicare Medigap plan which  will provide some coverage for foreign travel.  That would be true for a lot of people ( most?), but there are too may variations to safely answer any question about insurance definitively.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a pretty analytical shopper.  I priced the soda package, the drink package, and even the premium drink package.  Found the annual GeoBlue policy to be the cheapest package.  Plus it gives me peace of mind that the other packages just can't deliver.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cmackdaddy said:

We only buy insurance when air travel is involved. 80% of our cruises are out of Galveston which is a 2 1/2 hr drive.


If you are buying it just to cover air fare, you may find that it is difficult to collect in case of cancellation. Usually, the air line will issue a voucher. In that case, the insurance company considers that you have been reimbursed. No loss. No claim.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 5:46 PM, cured said:

Nationwide (still get cancel for any reason and preexisting conditions)

@cured- is there a specific policy to look at on Nationwide site?  I took a peek and didnt see anything stand out.  Should I be looking for a specific "type" of plan? 


Thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 5:06 AM, Joseph2017China said:

It covers for all trips over 100 miles, including cars. 

@Joseph2017China - I was just looking for this exact type of insurance.  I am taking 4 large trips this year both land, car & cruise.  I wasnt able to find a carrier. 

 

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

 

Thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

@cured- is there a specific policy to look at on Nationwide site?  I took a peek and didnt see anything stand out.  Should I be looking for a specific "type" of plan? 


Thank you 


Look at the provision for Cancel for Any Reason. Be sure it says, “If purchased by final payment.” You can usually find it by looking at the chart that summarizes coverage in the policy or in the section of the policy that explains CFAR.

 

You can buy insurance at any time; however, to qualify for some types of coverage, you have to buy within a certain window, usually within 14-21 days of initial deposit, but there are some like Nationwide, that let you buy it before final payment.  The timing matters only if you want CFAR or pre-existing condition waiver.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

@Joseph2017China - I was just looking for this exact type of insurance.  I am taking 4 large trips this year both land, car & cruise.  I wasnt able to find a carrier. 

 

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

 

Thank you 


GeoBlue and Allianz are names commonly mentioned. GeoBlue may not be available in all states.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

@cured- is there a specific policy to look at on Nationwide site?  I took a peek and didnt see anything stand out.  Should I be looking for a specific "type" of plan? 


Thank you 

Depending on the details of the trip, I either use Nationwide Luxury Cruise or Nationwide Choice Cruise through Insuremytrip.com.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 9:06 AM, SRF said:

You can buy insurance with a $0 trip cost. It covers the medical and med evac and a number of other things.  Just not the cruise fare.

 

Runs less than $40 per trip for me.

 

My mother had an issue on a cruise in Halifax.  Med evac back to DC was $29,000.  And that did not include the medical bills for the Canadian hospital.  

 

Up to you, but even healthy people fall down and injure themselves. 

What Ins do you use?    
 

think about a yearly plan for myself.      
thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My go through Travel Insured.  But using a link from USAA, so what I get is slightly different than the general public.

 

If I traveled for pleasure more, I would probably do a yearly plan also.  But more of my foreign travel is for work, and I am covered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 7:35 AM, hotsauce126 said:

I've never bought travel insurance for any trip but we're young without any significant medical issues and have both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum cards that have a significant number of travel protections

Regardless of age anything can happen. Tripping while walking around in port and end up with a compound fracture or many other things.

 

We always buy at least medical and evacuation even for 5 day trips. Our first cruise I ended up in the infirmary and had several tests done. Major pain in my stomach. Ended up needing my gall bladder removed which I had done shortly after the cruise. Good thing hubby had the foresight to buy it even on our first cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Australia we have free medical, no insurance no sail even a close loop as Medicare will not cover any cruise. Buy a yearly policy 😇

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously there are personal situations that come into play.  In general ALL type of specialty insurance is gimmick insurance mostly aimed at generating profit for the company and the sales agent.  Statistically it pays out less than 15% of what's paid in, the rest goes to the company and for commissions.  The same applies to extended warranties, mortgage insurance, etc.  But I think there are situations where it makes sense that might include an impending major health issues, more expensive options and when there is volume thus an economy of scale.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DeanD said:

Obviously there are personal situations that come into play.  In general ALL type of specialty insurance is gimmick insurance mostly aimed at generating profit for the company and the sales agent.  Statistically it pays out less than 15% of what's paid in, the rest goes to the company and for commissions.  The same applies to extended warranties, mortgage insurance, etc.  But I think there are situations where it makes sense that might include an impending major health issues, more expensive options and when there is volume thus an economy of scale.  

Well, one day we were pulling into Labadee.  They announced we would be delayed departing the shop due to a medical helicopter coming in to remove a passenger.

 

Thinking about being taken off the shop in Haiti makes me want to buy medical and evac coverage.

 

If I'm sick in the Caribbean, I want them to fly my fat tush back to Houston or Miami.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

Well, one day we were pulling into Labadee.  They announced we would be delayed departing the shop due to a medical helicopter coming in to remove a passenger.

 

Thinking about being taken off the shop in Haiti makes me want to buy medical and evac coverage.

 

If I'm sick in the Caribbean, I want them to fly my fat tush back to Houston or Miami.

 

If you want to guarantee evac back to the US, definitely look into MedJet coverage.


If you are more than 150 miles from home, they will med evac you to the hospital of your choice.  ANYWHERE in the world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 9:10 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We always buy insurance and unfortunately have used it on too many cruises.

We used to buy because we had elderly parents. Now we buy because we are the elderly parents. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pthjudy said:

We used to buy because we had elderly parents. Now we buy because we are the elderly parents. 

 

3 hours ago, pthjudy said:

We used to buy because we had elderly parents. Now we buy because we are the elderly parents. 

My parents never cruised.I have been elderly for quite some time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...