Celebrity Edge.....Long check in lines ???

Reijo

Yesterday I heard about ones of the ships (I believe it was Carnival Horizon) having 2 hour PLUS wait, some people outside in the heat, to get on board due to people not honoring their check-in times.  Apparently these people were being allowed to go ahead and board, while people  who were there at the proper time couldn't even get into the terminal.  I thought there was to be strict adherence to the boarding times and that if you arrived early you would be made to stay outside of the terminal until your time.  What has been the experience on Celebrity Edge?  We have an 8/15 Equinox cruise and I don't want to be outside in the hot sun while "offenders" are allowed ahead of us.  

We haven't sailed yet but posts on CC and fb indicate Celebrity is adhering to check in times. The only exceptions are for suites and they have their own check in line.  I don't think you can equate Celebrity policies with Carnival.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 7:34 PM, Reijo said:

Yesterday I heard about ones of the ships (I believe it was Carnival Horizon) having 2 hour PLUS wait, some people outside in the heat, to get on board due to people not honoring their check-in times.  Apparently these people were being allowed to go ahead and board, while people  who were there at the proper time couldn't even get into the terminal.  I thought there was to be strict adherence to the boarding times and that if you arrived early you would be made to stay outside of the terminal until your time.  What has been the experience on Celebrity Edge?  We have an 8/15 Equinox cruise and I don't want to be outside in the hot sun while "offenders" are allowed ahead of us.  

What time is your check-in time on the Equinox?  I'm assuming that you booked the earliest time available.

Its well known

On 7/10/2021 at 4:34 PM, Reijo said:

I thought there was to be strict adherence to the boarding times

How did you come to that conclusion? (lol)  According to ex-terminal contractors, no one was ever "ordered" to enforce embarkment windows.

Checking in for the June 26th Edge sailing was a breeze. They adhered to assigned check-in times. I arrived about 15 minutes prior to my assigned time....walked directly into the terminal and was on ship in less than 15 minutes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bajathree said:

They adhered to assigned check-in times.

Would you mind expanding on this?  Others on the same sailing have said the exact opposite, specifically that they were non-suite guests, had a late check-in time and were able to board hours before their embarkment window.

For the 7/3 sailing on Celebrity Edge we were able to walk straight in at our assigned time. There was a line (standing in the shade of the building) for people who were too early. My understanding is those who were early were allowed to check in but if anyone walked up who was within their designated window they were given priority. 

• Like 1

Lots of people don't play by the rules;  Let me correct myself, lots of people don't adhere to the guidelines.  Some people just want to get on the ship as soon as possible, why?  Don't know.  Are you missing out on something?  If just makes it bad for those who do adhere to the guidelines!

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Would you mind expanding on this?  Others on the same sailing have said the exact opposite, specifically that they were non-suite guests, had a late check-in time and were able to board hours before their embarkment window.

I had a 12:30 check-in time....I arrived at 12:15. There was a small line of some people that were standing there with later check-in times that they weren't allowing into the terminal at that time. Since my arrival times was just 15 minutes prior to my assigned check-in time they told me to go directly in. I can't expand on anything other than what was going on when I arrived and checked in...but all was very easy.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I had a 12:30 check-in time....I arrived at 12:15. There was a small line of some people that were standing there with later check-in times that they weren't allowing into the terminal at that time. Since my arrival times was just 15 minutes prior to my assigned check-in time they told me to go directly in. I can't expand on anything other than what was going on when I arrived and checked in...but all was very easy.

Thank you

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 7:59 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We haven't sailed yet but posts on CC and fb indicate Celebrity is adhering to check in times. The only exceptions are for suites and they have their own check in line.  I don't think you can equate Celebrity policies with Carnival.

Everyone but Suite guests have a specific check in time.  Trying to check in earlier by a significant amount (say more than 20-30 minutes), you’re going to be waiting in the hot sun outside for a little while.

Did’t see any lines when I checked in last Sunday, but we had weird circumstances with FLL that affected that.

Bottom line, check in when they tell you to check in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pickels said:

... Some people just want to get on the ship as soon as possible, why?  Don't know.  Are you missing out on something? ...

Hello, "Pickels."

We can think of one valid answer to your questions (and there may be other answers).

Suppose someone could not avoid being assigned an embarkation time of 3:00 PM (assigned at booking or online check-in?).  

Suppose that this person is able to reach the dock at about Noon -- and therefore gets placed, by security, at the front of an "early-bird queue" -- willing to wait until 3:00, if necessary.

Suppose that she is hopeful to board sooner (because of a medical need [diabetes?] to have a good lunch -- or simply because she paid for lunch as part of her fare).

Suppose all the guests with 12:30 boarding times are able to enter by 12:50.  Should some of the early-birds be allowed to enter?  According to what we have read on one or two threads, Celebrity will allow our lady to enter, even though it is not yet even 1:00.

We think that this is reasonable.  It will help the 3:00 lady (and others like her) who are desiring lunch, or perhaps even in physical need of it.  Getting some early-birds aboard will also help the ("on-time") 3:00 people to board more quickly, later in the afternoon.

10 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Its well known

How did you come to that conclusion? (lol)  According to ex-terminal contractors, no one was ever "ordered" to enforce embarkment windows.

I recall somewhere I read that the boarding time indicated for you was a suggested boarding time.  Don’t know how strick they are on enforcement!

10 minutes ago, Pickels said:

I recall somewhere I read that the boarding time indicated for you was a suggested boarding time.  Don’t know how strick they are on enforcement!

The boarding times being "suggested" were pre covid. Not sure that is valid today.  There are reasons people want to board earlier than their assigned time but having to wait in the hotel lobby or airport is much like having to wait in the air port terminal when your flight is later. Yes, we'd like to wait on board but not possible unless it is a port where you can pay to stay on board after everyone disembarks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

What time is your check-in time on the Equinox?  I'm assuming that you booked the earliest time available.

Our check in is 12:30-1:00pm.  It was the earliest time available.

Edited by Reijo

12 hours ago, bajathree said:

Checking in for the June 26th Edge sailing was a breeze. They adhered to assigned check-in times. I arrived about 15 minutes prior to my assigned time....walked directly into the terminal and was on ship in less than 15 minutes.

Great, glad to hear this.

15 hours ago, jg51 said:

Hello, "Pickels."

We can think of one valid answer to your questions (and there may be other answers).

Suppose someone could not avoid being assigned an embarkation time of 3:00 PM (assigned at booking or online check-in?).  

Suppose that this person is able to reach the dock at about Noon -- and therefore gets placed, by security, at the front of an "early-bird queue" -- willing to wait until 3:00, if necessary.

Suppose that she is hopeful to board sooner (because of a medical need [diabetes?] to have a good lunch -- or simply because she paid for lunch as part of her fare).

Suppose all the guests with 12:30 boarding times are able to enter by 12:50.  Should some of the early-birds be allowed to enter?  According to what we have read on one or two threads, Celebrity will allow our lady to enter, even though it is not yet even 1:00.

We think that this is reasonable.  It will help the 3:00 lady (and others like her) who are desiring lunch, or perhaps even in physical need of it.  Getting some early-birds aboard will also help the ("on-time") 3:00 people to board more quickly, later in the afternoon.

Really.  We can all think of why we should be the exception.

As a diabetic, I plan my actions around my schedule.  If I had a 3:00 pm boarding time, I would plan to go have lunch somewhere, enjoy myself and arrive at a more suitable time. When traveling I also have a supply of suitable snacks and water in the event of a delay.  I am sure I wouldn't leave my personal health in limbo on the hopes that by some fluke of nature I would get to board early.

Also, I guess we all paid for lunch...so lets all get there early so we can have it.

I would argue and support an early entry system that doesn't reward how early you arrive before your scheduled time, but one that moves to the next scheduled time slot.  So if at 12:50 there are no more 12:30 - 1:00 arrivals waiting then start on the 1:00 - 1:30 group, and just pass any late arrivals straight through.

We can't all be first.  I do not doubt that there are true situations where medical conditions require accommodation, no problem; take the initiative and make adjustments before hand.

Edited by ScubesDad
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, ScubesDad said:

Really.  We can all think of why we should be the exception.

As a diabetic, I plan my actions around my schedule.  If I had a 3:00 pm boarding time, I would plan to go have lunch somewhere, enjoy myself and arrive at a more suitable time. When traveling I also have a supply of suitable snacks and water in the event of a delay.  I am sure I wouldn't leave my personal health in limbo on the hopes that by some fluke of nature I would get to board early.

Also, I guess we all paid for lunch...so lets all get there early so we can have it.

I would argue and support an early entry system that doesn't reward how early you arrive before your scheduled time, but one that moves to the next scheduled time slot.  So if at 12:50 there are no more 12:30 - 1:00 arrivals waiting then start on the 1:00 - 1:30 group, and just pass any late arrivals straight through.

We can't all be first.  I do not doubt that there are true situations where medical conditions require accommodation, no problem; take the initiative and make adjustments before hand.

RE: Also, I guess we all paid for lunch...so lets all get there early so we can have it.

Please!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pickels said:

RE: Also, I guess we all paid for lunch...so lets all get there early so we can have it.

Please!

I think that's one gripe, people don't realize until it's too late if you make it a priority to check in when check in opens, you can't get an early time.  If you can't get an early time, you'll probably will miss out on lunch.  MDR, Luminae and any open specialty restaurants stop letting folks in at 130pm, buffet and most shutdown at 230pm.  Leaving only pizza, the mass grill or the very limited room service options (most don't want to wait for their food in their room and would prefer to explore the ship).  Perhaps if X hired more staffing to keep embarkment lunch open longer folks wouldn't need to show up early.

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I'm trying to figure out what type you are.  Would you say you're full sour, half sour or dill?  I would never guess sweet. 😆

Cute-- actually someone who is not concerned about missing one meal; come on, give me a break, talk about picayune.

• Like 1