Jump to content

Unruly Passenger Behavior??


Recommended Posts

Side note - I think cruise lines are missing a great revenue opportunity. I bet there are at least a few people on each cruise that would be willing to pay to spend a night in the brig. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Side note - I think cruise lines are missing a great revenue opportunity. I bet there are at least a few people on each cruise that would be willing to pay to spend a night in the brig. 

Delousing isn’t in the cruise contract. Or is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

I do remember when we boarded our first NCL cruise, I noticed that most of the security staff had crossed khukris as their collar badges. Having ex-Gurkhas looking after us made me feel a whole lot better (Thank God they are on our side (says this British Army veteran!))

Not sure if those were ex Her Majesty Gurkhas or ex Indian Army Gurkhas. Big difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Cruise ships do have jails and lockdowns.  I have seen them cart off an unruly customer once.  At the next port they are unceremoniously handed over to the local authorities.   Airlines don't have that option

cruise ships do have lock down area like a jail

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, evandbob said:

Airlines are experiencing the highest incidence of antagonistic passenger behavior ever, from ignoring flight attendants instructions, fighting, spitting, and attempting to open secure doors.  I'm constantly reading about passengers being restrained or arrested, and flights being diverted or terminated.

 

My questions are:

1)  Does anyone think this type of behavior will carry over to cruise ships as sailings resume? 

 

2) Will cruise crews enforce or ignore unruly behavior by passengers when it occurs?

I think some lines are more venerable than others.  Lines with younger more party oriented passengers that allow both vaccinated and non-vaccinated seems like a recipe for disaster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Short cruises on the mass market lines have always had some minor issues and a few major ones with younger passengers who have too much to drink and act inappropriately.   But there are staff trained to quickly deal with most of these minor issues and I do not see anything changing because of COVID.   In over 1300 days as a cruise ship passenger (on lots of different cruises) we have only seen a couple of instances when a passenger got out of control (in those cases the passenger was disembarked at the next port).

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, evandbob said:

Airlines are experiencing the highest incidence of antagonistic passenger behavior ever, from ignoring flight attendants instructions, fighting, spitting, and attempting to open secure doors.  I'm constantly reading about passengers being restrained or arrested, and flights being diverted or terminated.

 

My questions are:

1)  Does anyone think this type of behavior will carry over to cruise ships as sailings resume? 

 

2) Will cruise crews enforce or ignore unruly behavior by passengers when it occurs?

Is this a U.S. only problem? I have not heard of a rise in unruly airline passengers in other parts of the world. Perhaps it's something we can look forward to as we reopen more and more around the world. 😒

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Crime and misbehavior can occur any where and there is no demographic that doesn’t have its share of idiots.   I had my first experience on Princess on an Alaskan cruise, my second experience was on a 12 day Oceania cruise - so much for amateur demographic analysis. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

While the brig is useful on a cruise ship, it is small. Back when some here on Cruise Critic started cruising the plank was the preferred  method for dealing with the unruly. 

 

Or else the Captain Bligh method.

 

Also, with regard to the unruly airplane problem there is a very simple solution - an ejection seat but one where someone forgot to put in a parachute.

 

LOL - maybe.

 

DON

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Keep in mind there are approximately one billion* flights a day around the world. The small number of flights that get disrupted make the news. The 99.9% that go smoothly do not. 
 

* note - I said approximately 

A wee bit high on the estimate; actually closer to 100,000 per day; there are only 7.9 billion people, so a billion flights a day would be...odd.🤭

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2021 at 11:48 AM, dogs4fun said:

I didn't know that the ships are equipped with jails.

And morgues…

 

Also, keep in mind that at sea ship captains are almost like gods

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

A wee bit high on the estimate; actually closer to 100,000 per day; there are only 7.9 billion people, so a billion flights a day would be...odd.🤭


Rounding error. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Is this a U.S. only problem? I have not heard of a rise in unruly airline passengers in other parts of the world. Perhaps it's something we can look forward to as we reopen more and more around the world. 😒

Definitely not a just a US problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was one cruise in the Pacific a couple of years ago where gang warfare raged for several days and the security personnel were not immediately able to control it, but that kind of thing is rare. In that cruise, the ship made an unscheduled port call to have 20+ passengers arrested, iirc.

 

Cruise passengers, once aboard ship, tend to be a pretty happy group, especially compared to airline passengers, which is no surprise. It's not a matter of wealth or social class, imo, but simply that aboard a cruise ship, from the passenger's point of view, almost everything is right, while in air travel quite a lot seems to be wrong. Getting to the ship is stressful; being aboard it, not very.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have flown to SE Asia for five of the last six winters.   Typically 2 long flights totaling 18 hours in the air.  When we flew direct to Singapore it was about 17 hours.

 

It is not unusual for us to see Asians wearing face masks on these flights.  They never seemed bothered by the masks and they certainly were not unruly.   We are hoping to go to Greece in the fall.  That will be 8hrs.  And SE Asia in the winter..two flights of 8-12 hours each.    

 

We assume that wearing a mask will be a condition of flying.    We North Americans are a pampered lot.  Full of entitlement, me me me, and this belief that freedom means doing what we want anywhere we want even if it is in another country.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, iancal said:

...

 

We North Americans are a pampered lot.  Full of entitlement, me me me, and this belief that freedom means doing what we want anywhere we want even if it is in another country.

...and who  seem unable to understand that the only way they can enjoy their "rights" is when others have the obligation to respect them -- and who are generally unable/unwilling to assume that sort of obligation themselves.

 

How many times do you hear someone proclaim:  "I know my obligations!" ?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2021 at 9:52 AM, DirtyDawg said:

Is this a U.S. only problem? 

Did you not see the "lady" (extremely loose term) attach the Frontier desk because she is on the Federal no-fly list? All while her 4-6 year old daughter cries and pleads with her to not get arrested again. The son walked away because he had seen it so many times before. All of this because free money handed out, people using it for the wrong things, and thinking something is owed to them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Air Rage …

(1) Get the airlines to put into their t&c’s that any person wanting to board an aircraft may have to take a ‘breathalyser’ test? Leave it vague as to what constitutes a ‘fail’.

(2) Radical, but stop (or restrict) the sales of intoxicants by fair means or foul (Hike the price) post security’. This would fail as £ €$ are involved … can’t have the airport missing out on money😏

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Did you not see the "lady" (extremely loose term) attach the Frontier desk because she is on the Federal no-fly list? All while her 4-6 year old daughter cries and pleads with her to not get arrested again. The son walked away because he had seen it so many times before. All of this because free money handed out, people using it for the wrong things, and thinking something is owed to them.

No. I guess that news story was not covered up here in Canada. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We were beside two women catching the 6:30 AM flight from Venice to Frankfurt. Each of them had a carry on plus what appeared to be a shopping bag of loosely packed glassware in paper or bubble wrap.

 

The glass was not going carry on despite the hissy fit and despite the lady yelling that she had a million miles on United Star Alliance.  No go.  It was either box them up and check them, leave them behind,  or no seat on the plane. Very simple.

 

Counter clerk just looked through them and said, ,next person in line please.  The supervisor pushed them aside.  No fuss, no mess.   They looked like a pair of clueless twits and only succeeded in embarrassing themselves. Their final  remonstration was that the salesperson in the glass wear store told them carry on would be fine.  No idea if they made the flight...did not see them board.

 

People like that give NA tourists a bad name.  You cannot fix stupid.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, iancal said:

We were beside two women catching the 6:30 AM flight from Venice to Frankfurt. Each of them had a carry on plus what appeared to be a shopping bag of loosely packed glassware in paper or bubble wrap.

 

The glass was not going carry on despite the hissy fit and despite the lady yelling that she had a million miles on United Star Alliance.  No go.  It was either box them up and check them, leave them behind,  or no seat on the plane. Very simple.

 

Counter clerk just looked through them and said, ,next person in line please.  The supervisor pushed them aside.  No fuss, no mess.   They looked like a pair of clueless twits and only succeeded in embarrassing themselves. Their final  remonstration was that the salesperson in the glass wear store told them carry on would be fine.  No idea if they made the flight...did not see them board.

 

People like that give NA tourists a bad name.  You cannot fix stupid.

 

Was it the glass or that carry-ons were limited?  I'm assuming it was the glass otherwise they could have checked their carry-ons and boarded with the shopping bags.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ldubs said:

 

Was it the glass or that carry-ons were limited?  I'm assuming it was the glass otherwise they could have checked their carry-ons and boarded with the shopping bags.   

Glass.  Security issue.  It was not a case of too much carry on.  At least to my knowledge.  The discussion never got that far.The lady was trying it on with the wrong person, the wrong airline.

 

We started laughing went the lady started yelling about being a United million mile customer.  That was met with a blank so what look.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Glass.  Security issue.  It was not a case of too much carry on.  At least to my knowledge.  The discussion never got that far.The lady was trying it on with the wrong person, the wrong airline.

 

We started laughing went the lady started yelling about being a United million mile customer.  That was met with a blank so what look.

 

She should have shown her super special platinum cruise ship status card.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2021 at 10:10 AM, evandbob said:

Airlines are experiencing the highest incidence of antagonistic passenger behavior ever, from ignoring flight attendants instructions, fighting, spitting, and attempting to open secure doors.  I'm constantly reading about passengers being restrained or arrested, and flights being diverted or terminated.

 

My questions are:

1)  Does anyone think this type of behavior will carry over to cruise ships as sailings resume? 

 

2) Will cruise crews enforce or ignore unruly behavior by passengers when it occurs?

Well a lady was removed from an RCCL ship due to a positive COVID test & pitched an immature fit that of course she filmed & posted.

I anticipate we will see more & that ships will not tolerate it either--passenger behavior is part of the cruise contract 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...