Deck 8 VA Cabins on Signature Ships

Hello! I am trying to decide among cabins on our upcoming sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The front-runners right now are VB cabins, Deck 5, Surrounding the Aft elevators, and VA cabins, Deck 8, under the carpeted buffet area. I'm leaning toward the VA cabins because I don't expect much noise from the buffet seating areas above, they are conveniently located midship, they have wider balconies than the VB cabins, and the shade from the overhang might be nice for the warmer Caribbean itinerary. 

Your thoughts? Is my logic sound? What are people's thoughts of the overhang? Do they like it, or do they hate it? Is it a peeling paint eyesore, or nicely maintained?

Thanks!

Mouse-

we have sailed both Signature Class ships.  I have not stayed under the Lido on either, but made mistake of being under the forward pool....once.  Loud noises from deck chairs being moved around to clean at night. 

Deck five offers cabins above and below.  

Id settle for either today.....nearly two years without a cruise!!!!!!

Posted (edited)

We like the VA Cabins and we also love Deck 8.   The overhang is really nice, too, for when it's raining (unless a blowing rain) and we never found noise to be a problem.  

I always found them nicely maintained.  Any Balcony Overhang you can get a rust spot here or there but not anymore than any other Deck.

Edited by idiebabe

Are the balcony dividers able to be opened for the VA cabins on Deck 8? I don't know why they would be any different from the other decks, but thought I'd ask. That's important to us. 

I like deck 8, as long as the cabin is below the carpeted area of the Lido dining area.  Nice and convenient and minimal noise from above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I like deck 8, as long as the cabin is below the carpeted area of the Lido dining area.  Nice and convenient and minimal noise from above.

Are all parts of the dining area (below the cabins) carpeted? Or is there a tile portion I should avoid?

29 minutes ago, stickey_mouse said:

Are the balcony dividers able to be opened for the VA cabins on Deck 8? I don't know why they would be any different from the other decks, but thought I'd ask. That's important to us. 

Yes,  a door opening but not the entire Divider.   

I was on the Oosterdam in 2019 in cabin SY 8090.  The noise from carts rolling in the Lido starting at 4:00 am was awful.  The carts kept going bump bump bump bump...  I'll never select a cabin under the Lido again or risk getting a free "upgrade" there.

42 minutes ago, stickey_mouse said:

Are all parts of the dining area (below the cabins) carpeted? Or is there a tile portion I should avoid?

I was in SY 8099 (and same with 8094) a couple of years ago and I noticed that these Vista class ships "bump out" cabins have partial tile floors above them.  

49 minutes ago, Primus said:

I was on the Oosterdam in 2019 in cabin SY 8090.  The noise from carts rolling in the Lido starting at 4:00 am was awful.  The carts kept going bump bump bump bump...  I'll never select a cabin under the Lido again or risk getting a free "upgrade" there.

We were on the Oosterdam as well in March of 2019.  We were in SY8075.....we had the same problem as you.....We were under Canaletto.....I could sleep through a hurricane, but DH is a light sleeper.  The carts on the tiles were unbearable for him.

L.

I don't remember the ship but we thought we were under the carpeted area on deck 8 --- there is a tiled area in the corner (I think where Canaletto is) & every night there was chair scraping as the crew mopped the floor...  

I never book under the Lido unless it is forward. Once was enough and never again. The scrapping of chairs was irritating in the early morning when trying to sleep in and in the afternoon when trying to nap. 

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I never book under the Lido unless it is forward. Once was enough and never again. The scrapping of chairs was irritating in the early morning when trying to sleep in and in the afternoon when trying to nap. 

Were you under the pool or under the buffet? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Under the pool. Never again!

Right. I don’t think anyone disagrees with you there. I was specifically asking about rooms under the carpeted buffet seating area. 

8 hours ago, stickey_mouse said:

Right. I don’t think anyone disagrees with you there. I was specifically asking about rooms under the carpeted buffet seating area. 

I think you'll be fine under the carpeted areas.   A Friend had a Deck 5 Cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam several years ago and you have a full view over the lifeboats looking out but it's a bit obstructed since the lifeboats come to the bottom of the balcony.  She didn't care for it.  

eudm5126-IMG_5497

10 hours ago, stickey_mouse said:

Carpeting is good. The thing to check is fire door thresholds. The carts really make a lot of noise going over them as we found out on deck 8. The threshold is metal and carries the sound rather well. They start up the carts really early. In any event, good luck and enjoy your cruise.

4 minutes ago, bajakiter said:

Carpeting is good. The thing to check is fire door thresholds. The carts really make a lot of noise going over them as we found out on deck 8. The threshold is metal and carries the sound rather well. They start up the carts really early. In any event, good luck and enjoy your cruise.

If only these were noted on the deck plan! 

On 7/11/2021 at 2:17 PM, idiebabe said:

We like the VA Cabins and we also love Deck 8.   The overhang is really nice, too, for when it's raining (unless a blowing rain) and we never found noise to be a problem.  

I always found them nicely maintained.  Any Balcony Overhang you can get a rust spot here or there but not anymore than any other Deck.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, DaveOKC said:

Can you both confirm that the balconies on Deck 8 are slightly larger than normal?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, stickey_mouse said:

Can you both confirm that the balconies on Deck 8 are slightly larger than normal?

I do not know for certain.  I have done the extended balcony cabins (angled) and they were nicely sized.

Edited by DaveOKC

13 minutes ago, highscar said:

I don’t think the floor space is larger but the roof overhang is. More shade and protection from rain.  

Hmmm. Most report a deeper balcony for the Deck 8 midship (VA) rooms. 

4 hours ago, stickey_mouse said:

Hmmm. Most report a deeper balcony for the Deck 8 midship (VA) rooms. 

I honestly don't remember but I know the Balcony Overhang is deeper than the non-VA Rooms.  Here's a pic of a VA from Eurodam:

IMG_3944.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 12:34 PM, idiebabe said:

I honestly don't remember but I know the Balcony Overhang is deeper than the non-VA Rooms.  Here's a pic of a VA from Eurodam:

IMG_3944.jpg

Just to make sure, the portion of the balcony divider closest to the railing is the type that can be opened, correct? 

• Like 1