Jump to content

What the crew eats


Recommended Posts

Good article, from the behind the scenes crew videos I've watched they appear to be well taken care of with a choice of mess on most ships.  I think one I saw had a mess that was more deli-ish vs full meals.  

 

I've also seen everyone from officers to entertainment staff around the Lido and maybe occasionally in the MDR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Enjoyed the article thanks. I was told by the head Chef on-board there would be a mutiny if he ran out of rice!

Special rice for the crew noted during behind the scenes tour on Nieuw Statendam 2019:

 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-behind-the-scenes/IMG_3286.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As stated, on HAL (and on most other lines) only those with officer status, incl. the "contractors," i.e.  Steiners (spa/gym), shoppies, photo people, casino, art, etc. can eat (breakfast, lunch and dinner) in the Lido. Officers also host tables in the main dining room on what used to be called "formal night." In addition, officers can make reservations to have dinner among themselves in Canaletto and/or the PG and in the Tamarind on those ships that have it.

 

Petty officers (supervisor rank) and similar rank in other departments have their own mess below decks, known as the Petty Officers or P.O. Mess while everyone else (Housekeeping/Beverage/Engine room/Front Office/the "black shirts," Dining room stewards, etc. consume their meals below deck in what's known as the Crew Mess which serves three meals a day. The Indonesian crew have their own chef as do the Filipinos. Lastly, there is a space known as the Officer Bar or "O.B." which serves breakfast and lunch for officer ranks. At night, the O.B. turns into a social gathering location with its own bartender and jukebox where alcoholic beverages can be purchased and very competitive games of darts are displayed on a nightly basis. Moist O.B.'s have an "Irish Pub" motive and inside that O.B. hangs a full-size ship's bell, similar to the one that can be found on the ship's bow. If you ring that bell (inside the O.B.) there are consequences! I will let you guess what those are 😉    

 

On Vista Class ships, there is a space known as the "Dirty Officers Mess" (caddy corner from the P.O. Mess) where, primarily, engineering officers can consume a meal while dressed in their work overalls, hence the name "Dirty Officer Mess" 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

 

On Vista Class ships, there is a space known as the "Dirty Officers Mess" (caddy corner from the P.O. Mess) where, primarily, engineering officers can consume a meal while dressed in their work overalls, hence the name "Dirty Officer Mess" 

and they get the best “full english” on a Sunday morning .  I think it was the zuiderdam that allowed the medical stuff eat in that mess and we could order dinner from the main dining room menu  also on the EUDM 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

 Correctamento 😉 plus a Dutch lunch incl. a "broodje kroket" on a semi-regular basis 

mmmm  I could pass on that 😬 and did frequently 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, boone2 said:

 

 

Yes, but you aren't Dutch and/or have lived in the Netherlands 😉 If you were/had, you'd grown up with a Broodje Kroket, Broodje Frikandel, Saucijzenbroodje and, of course, "de blauwe hap" (Indonesian rijsttafel/Indonesian samples) 😋 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

As stated, on HAL (and on most other lines) only those with officer status, incl. the "contractors," i.e.  Steiners (spa/gym), shoppies, photo people, casino, art, etc. can eat (breakfast, lunch and dinner) in the Lido. Officers also host tables in the main dining room on what used to be called "formal night." In addition, officers can make reservations to have dinner among themselves in Canaletto and/or the PG and in the Tamarind on those ships that have it.

 

Petty officers (supervisor rank) and similar rank in other departments have their own mess below decks, known as the Petty Officers or P.O. Mess while everyone else (Housekeeping/Beverage/Engine room/Front Office/the "black shirts," Dining room stewards, etc. consume their meals below deck in what's known as the Crew Mess which serves three meals a day. The Indonesian crew have their own chef as do the Filipinos. Lastly, there is a space known as the Officer Bar or "O.B." which serves breakfast and lunch for officer ranks. At night, the O.B. turns into a social gathering location with its own bartender and jukebox where alcoholic beverages can be purchased and very competitive games of darts are displayed on a nightly basis. Moist O.B.'s have an "Irish Pub" motive and inside that O.B. hangs a full-size ship's bell, similar to the one that can be found on the ship's bow. If you ring that bell (inside the O.B.) there are consequences! I will let you guess what those are 😉    

 

On Vista Class ships, there is a space known as the "Dirty Officers Mess" (caddy corner from the P.O. Mess) where, primarily, engineering officers can consume a meal while dressed in their work overalls, hence the name "Dirty Officer Mess" 

And that is a complete explanation of the crew dining!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a long cruise [WC2015, i think], we were able to order tempura vegetables as an appetizer one night.  We liked them so much we asked our waiter if he could get them for us every night.  He was able to arrange it with the kitchen. After a while [it was a verrrrrry long cruise], we became tired of  the tempura every night, but the waiter never told the kitchen and kept them for himself and the assistant.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Yes, but you aren't Dutch and/or have lived in the Netherlands 😉 If you were/had, you'd grown up with a Broodje Kroket, Broodje Frikandel, Saucijzenbroodje and, of course, "de blauwe hap" (Indonesian rijsttafel/Indonesian samples) 😋 

And 'halfom'..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Hmmm ...

 

Consequences of ringing that bell.

The individual that does, has to buy the whole room a drink. 🤑

 

You've got it dude! 🤪

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Himself said:

Could be costly!

 

That's why only "newbies," who don't know the consequences, only sometimes strike the bell, Father. And they'll never do it again 😉 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

That's why only "newbies," who don't know the consequences, only sometimes strike the bell, Father. And they'll never do it again 😉 

That figures.  Years ago I taught in a one story high school.  Certain sophomores would try and sell elevator passes to unsuspecting freshman,   A number of freshmen fell for the prank.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2021 at 2:34 PM, kangforpres said:

I found this interesting, On HAL ships I've seen crew mostly officers and entertainers at the late buffet in the lido.

 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25407-good-food-but-fewer-options-crew-members-describe-their-cruise-food.html

 

 

Thanks for posting this!  Quite interesting and more detailed than some things that I have read or even learned during Behind the Scenes Tours.

 

Having observed the Crew Mess/Galley and the Officers's Mess as well as an Officer's Bar, the crew's facilities appear the equal in cleanliness, efficiency, and organization as the Galleys that serve us guests.  While being utilitarian in design, the dining spaces appeared to me to be pleasant.  

 

Different types of rice for the crew as compared to us guests?  Never knew that.

 

"The quality of the food depends upon the ship:  the food manager and Captain."  This was stated by a crew member in the linked article.  How many times on CC have I stated my experiences as a guest on HAL ships that the ship's Senior Management has significant influence on my experience as a guest?  That includes what I have experienced in all of the dining venues.  To have a crew member express the same opinion further validates my experiences!  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...