Jump to content

Who owns "on hold" cabin, TA or me?


Recommended Posts

 

Finally decided what cruise I wanted to book and what suite I wanted.  Unfortunately there was only one left that appealed to me.  I kept trying to get in touch with my regular TA and she wasn't responding.  Another TA gave me a price for the cruise and offered to put the suite on hold while I decided.  

 

Now my regular TA just contacted me, with a better price.  (Not by much).  Is that on hold cabin mine, and I can just go along with the booking, or do I have to have the first TA release it.  ???  I do feel bad about this but.......

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say the TA owns it. I’m guessing that there is nothing  that ties it to you until it’s officially booked. If/when she releases it, it’s out there for anybody else that see’s it and wants it. Do you want to take the chance that you might lose it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a TA myself, if it's "on hold," the TA who's placed it on hold is the only one with access to it. I would go with your better judgment on which TA to use, and you can always ask for them to re-price it for you. Normally I would say to stick with your original TA, but if you're getting bad service with them, it may be a good idea to switch. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  I actually just put a hold on an Alaskan cruise. A JS with a large balcony. It was the only JS at all available so I held it. I did this on the internet with an agency we use all the time. They are closed on the weekend. Love that you can do this.

My husband is now considering a GS instead. I was thinking about telling our son about the JS but it is my understanding you cannot transfer a hold. It would just 'go back in the pot & you would hope they could grab it or there not be anyone on the waiting list for it.

I would assume the price would change as it seemed very reasonable when held.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I would say the TA owns it. I’m guessing that there is nothing  that ties it to you until it’s officially booked. If/when she releases it, it’s out there for anybody else that see’s it and wants it. Do you want to take the chance that you might lose it?

The only thing is that she asked for our names and dates of birth, which led me to think that perhaps I was tied to this cabin in some way.

No, I don't want to take the chance of losing it.  As a matter of fact, if I don't get this particular cabin I will not book this date, but search for another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is interesting, I did not know that a TA could put a "hold" on a suite, without the customer paying the non-refundable suite deposit. So this is a definite PRO for using a TA. Does anyone know how long the TA can hold the suite?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

This is interesting, I did not know that a TA could put a "hold" on a suite, without the customer paying the non-refundable suite deposit. So this is a definite PRO for using a TA. Does anyone know how long the TA can hold the suite?  

It depends on how far from sailing it is.  Sometimes its 24 hours and other times I can hold them a week.  TA's also have the option to extend the hold.  I've had cruises with a 24 hour hold and immediately selected "extend option" and it gave me a week.

 

Works for all categories of cabins

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mafig said:

The only thing is that she asked for our names and dates of birth,

That is the minimum to hold the cabin.  It doesn't lock you in though.  If a deposit is not made by the option date then the hold will expire and the cabin will go back in inventory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It depends on how far from sailing it is.  Sometimes its 24 hours and other times I can hold them a week.  TA's also have the option to extend the hold.  I've had cruises with a 24 hour hold and immediately selected "extend option" and it gave me a week.

 

Works for all categories of cabins

Thank you for that information!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mafig said:

 

Finally decided what cruise I wanted to book and what suite I wanted.  Unfortunately there was only one left that appealed to me.  I kept trying to get in touch with my regular TA and she wasn't responding.  Another TA gave me a price for the cruise and offered to put the suite on hold while I decided.  

 

Now my regular TA just contacted me, with a better price.  (Not by much).  Is that on hold cabin mine, and I can just go along with the booking, or do I have to have the first TA release it.  ???  I do feel bad about this but.......

 

Why not do business with the TA who did the work instead of the TA who wasn't responding when you needed her.  I'd rather deal with a TA knowing I'm dealing with someone who responds when I reach out even if it costs a few pennies more.  Also, it's quite possible if the original TA reprices the suite you might find their price is the same now. 

 

My TA is quick to respond and is on the ball and has saved me tonnes.  A TA you can't get a hold or won't respond when need them will cost you money in the end.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Thank you for that information!

Just one more benefit to dealing with a good TA.  I never had a Royal rep offer to do that when dealing direct! 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you use a TA or a 3rd party site like Expedia or Orbitz or anything like that, you own nothing. You are not the hotels customer, the rental car companies customer, the airlines customer, or the cruiselines customer. You are the TA's customer and the TA is the said *lines customer... Until you are welcomed on board. Even then, you are at the mercy of the terms and conditions negotiated by the TA. You "may" repeat, I said "MAY" not be eligible for upgrades, seat assignments, miles, points, even receipts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2021 at 3:39 PM, mafig said:

 

Finally decided what cruise I wanted to book and what suite I wanted.  Unfortunately there was only one left that appealed to me.  I kept trying to get in touch with my regular TA and she wasn't responding.  Another TA gave me a price for the cruise and offered to put the suite on hold while I decided.  

 

Now my regular TA just contacted me, with a better price.  (Not by much).  Is that on hold cabin mine, and I can just go along with the booking, or do I have to have the first TA release it.  ???  I do feel bad about this but.......

 

If you can't get in touch with your regular TA to book a cruise I can't imagine being able to get in touch with them if an issue arises.  Even if the TA was on vacation or had a personal issue someone should have been covering the calls for them. Give the business to the one who did the work.   

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, sandebeach said:

This is interesting, I did not know that a TA could put a "hold" on a suite, without the customer paying the non-refundable suite deposit. So this is a definite PRO for using a TA. Does anyone know how long the TA can hold the suite?  

  The hold I did yesterday, just through the internet since the agency was closed, is good until July 16th.

So 5 days. No money down.

  I have done this before.  I have a booking number.

The thing I find odd about this is that there is nowhere on the internet site to cancel the hold. I either have to call the agency or just let it drop off after the date.

  This gives us some time to think about it. If we decide not to proceed, I call to cancel so the cabin can go back in inventory.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, klfrodo said:

If you use a TA or a 3rd party site like Expedia or Orbitz or anything like that, you own nothing. You are not the hotels customer, the rental car companies customer, the airlines customer, or the cruiselines customer. You are the TA's customer and the TA is the said *lines customer... Until you are welcomed on board. Even then, you are at the mercy of the terms and conditions negotiated by the TA. You "may" repeat, I said "MAY" not be eligible for upgrades, seat assignments, miles, points, even receipts.

BUT.....my TA throws in paid gratuities, OBC & sometimes beverage package, internet, etc    :O)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2021 at 7:09 PM, Tree_skier said:

My TA is quick to respond and is on the ball and has saved me tonnes.  A TA you can't get a hold or won't respond when need them will cost you money in the end.  


Ditto. When I got started with cruising, I would just handle it all myself.  But when you find a *good* TA, there's just no need.

I don't think my current TA ever sleeps.  If I hadn't met him in person, I might think he's an AI bot of some kind, because he's always available!  He's responded to emails on weekends, or at midnight on a weekday (I work nights as a nurse, so most of my cruise planning happens at odd hours), in fact, I booked two cruises on Saturday and another one on Sunday just this past weekend.  

Because of his affiliation with a big name travel company, I've been able to get access to Group Rates that wouldn't have been available otherwise (NEWS FLASH: group rates are refundable up until Final Payment, without having to pay the higher refundable fare!), plus sometimes a bit of OBC as well. And if he sees a super-cheap group rate come across his desk, he emails me and lets me know -- sometimes I take advantage of the opportunity, and sometimes it just doesn't appeal or work with my dates, but I never would have had the option if I didn't have him to bring it to my attention.

When the time came to Lift-n-Switch my cancelled cruises or redeem my FCCs, he took care of all of it -- I never had to wait on hold with RCI or anything.  And he keeps track of my Final Payment dates and pays them for me with my credit card on file, so I don't have to keep track of anything (good thing, too, because I think some of my FPs fall on days when I'm on another cruise).  

I understand why some people just feel better managing their own cruises directly with RCI... and if I didn't have a TA like the one I have, I would probably do the same.  But a good TA who is also easily accessible is a dream come true!

 

Edited by brillohead
typo
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Shippy said:

BUT.....my TA throws in paid gratuities, OBC & sometimes beverage package, internet, etc    :O)

Wow!  Do you have to book a suite to get those extra perks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Wow!  Do you have to book a suite to get those extra perks?

Depends on the cruise. I just randomly picked a RC Alaska cruise. Perks as follows

All categories got paid gratuities and OBC. inside/outside $150. balcony $450 suites $675.

  The Holland cruise we just booked for Alaska next May, category SB, a suite but not the biggest...

free gratuities, drink package, internet, one night specialty dining, $100. excursion credit & $250. OBC

How could we not take advantage of that     :O)

This is through one of the largest internet agencies. They ALWAYS throw something in. We have used them for a very long time. Probably about 20 cruises with them over the years  & NEVER had a problem.

   If the TA assigned to that cruise is not available , someone else steps in to help you.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, soremekun said:

Wow!  Do you have to book a suite to get those extra perks?

 

No.

 

I'm using an online TA agency based in Miami (even though I live in Israel), and I've always got free grats and some OBC (depending on the cabin booked).

 

Last week I had my eye on a Beyond cruise (the newest X ship, still to be delivered next spring). The rate published online for Concierge (balcony) was 8868$. I emailed my TA asking if she has a "deal" on this cruise, since the rate was quite steep.... She replied that she has a "group rate" for 8008$ !!! A huge saving of 860$ + 250 OBC....

 

Sweet deal 😁.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, mafig said:

Brilliance of the Seas ~ GS 1600   I Got it!!!!👍

 

Sweet! We did a 14 day Baltic cruise in that cabin. It has a larger balcony than other GS' but it does have less closet space. Enjoy your cruise.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a TA. Sometimes when I see a crazy good price I sometimes put a hold on it as "Too Bee Determined birthdate 1/1/2001" and then transfer it to whichever one of my clients wants to snag it. I actually got that tip from a Business Director at one of the cruise lines. 
I don't feel very competitive with other travel agents though, and if one asked me to transfer it to them I would. I just love to find good deals for people and make them happy. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...