Jump to content

Luggage Forward Experiences?


cruz_happy
 Share

Recommended Posts

We are scheduled for an overseas Viking Ocean cruise (our first on Viking) to Norway in January (if COVID co-operates).  Since this trip will entail packing bulkier winter clothing (we're from the South USA so mostly accustomed to shorts), we are thinking of using Viking's Luggage Forward service (i.e., through their third party).  This way we only need to bring 1 suitcase each with us for pre/post-cruise nights.  From those that have used this service before, what has been your experience?  Would you recommend using this service?  TYIA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cruz_happy said:

We are scheduled for an overseas Viking Ocean cruise (our first on Viking) to Norway in January (if COVID co-operates).  Since this trip will entail packing bulkier winter clothing (we're from the South USA so mostly accustomed to shorts), we are thinking of using Viking's Luggage Forward service (i.e., through their third party).  This way we only need to bring 1 suitcase each with us for pre/post-cruise nights.  From those that have used this service before, what has been your experience?  Would you recommend using this service?  TYIA.

Yes, we recommend them highly.  We have used this service several times, most recently for the Iceland welcome back cruise ten days ago.  Same issue with bulky clothes.  Not that we needed our parkas any time soon, but the return service got our luggage home four days earlier than promised.  We will use LF again on our Panama Canal cruise in December.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worked out great for us. We sent our large bags to Bergen when we flew in to Oslo and stayed for a few days. Took the train to Bergen to meet the Sky travelling with just our carry on luggage.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great service. We received the package with instructions, luggage labels, etc a few weeks early. Booked a pick-up time online, which was a 3 hour window. Bags were picked up on schedule and next we saw them was in the cabin.

 

You are also provided tracking info, so you can track where the bags are at any time.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 2:06 PM, Jim Avery said:

We agree with Santa Fe. Used them twice and everything went as planned. Great to travel with only carryons 

Jim,

 I could have sworn that said crayons!  🖍🖍🖍

 

Tom

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Anyone have experience where you had them "hold" your luggage for a week before delivering?  

 

We are spending a week on St. Thomas before flying to San Juan to board a Viking ship in February.  We plan to pack clothes for the cruise (smart casual wear for the evenings) that we won't need in St Thomas.  It would be great to send a suitcase or two with those clothes directly to the ship and not have to schlep them to STT and back to SJU.   Anyone know what the process would be -- would they hold the cases in our home location and then ship them down to SJU right before our cruise?  Or would they ship immediately to SJU and sit possibly in the heat and humidity of a warehouse down there for a week?

 

Thanks.

Edited by LisaDee
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, LisaDee said:

would they hold the cases in our home location and then ship them down to SJU right before our cruise?  Or would they ship immediately to SJU and sit possibly in the heat and humidity of a warehouse down there for a week?

On our WC, they picked up the luggage about two weeks before embarkation, probably due to it being the Christmas holidays, and it sat in a Miami warehouse for about ten days.  No biggie.  The heat and humidity didn’t bother anything.  Call them.  They know what they are doing and can give you a precise answer.  I’m sure it can be worked out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, LisaDee said:

Anyone have experience where you had them "hold" your luggage for a week before delivering?  

 

We are spending a week on St. Thomas before flying to San Juan to board a Viking ship in February.  We plan to pack clothes for the cruise (smart casual wear for the evenings) that we won't need in St Thomas.  It would be great to send a suitcase or two with those clothes directly to the ship and not have to schlep them to STT and back to SJU.   Anyone know what the process would be -- would they hold the cases in our home location and then ship them down to SJU right before our cruise?  Or would they ship immediately to SJU and sit possibly in the heat and humidity of a warehouse down there for a week?

 

Thanks.

 

Our experience was similar to SantaFe. Our bags we picked up over 2 weeks before embarkation and sat in a warehouse in the US for a number of days, before heading to Los Angeles. You also have a number of options when selecting a pick-up time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not seen information on Luggage services on Viking Cruises. Is the contact info on Viking Site?

Thanks for all the great information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MSEm said:

I have not seen information on Luggage services on Viking Cruises. Is the contact info on Viking Site?

Thanks for all the great information.

ON MVJ go to the bottom row and click on “ Before you Go.”  Luggage Forward is listed there, and you can price the service with Viking’s 20% discount

https://app.luggageforward.com/book/viking-ocean-cruises/voc-813

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone shipped luggage home from a Viking post cruise extension hotel, as opposed to from the ship?  We are on a Homelands Baltic cruise in 2022 and hope to follow up the post cruise extension in Oslo with private touring.   We don't want to drag all our bags along with us.   Can anyone tell us how the pickup at the hotel works?

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eastporter said:

Can anyone tell us how the pickup at the hotel works?

It’s my understanding that you deal directly with Luggage Forwarding and specify where and when you want your luggage to be picked up.

I suggest you give them a call and don’t forget to ask for the Viking 20% discount.

 

Tom

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Luggage forwarding looks like such a great idea!  Maybe within the US it is less expensive?   I gulped when I saw a cost of about $500 to ship 2 small suitcases to Malta and back.  And I would have to pack 10 days early, when I’m always switching out some piece of clothing at the very last minute.  I admire those of you that can get organized in advance of a trip.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...