Lunch in Specialty Restaurants (Ji Ji & Cucina del Capitano)

Hi there, I know it hasn't been long since the cruise lines have gotten back to sailing but I was wondering if lunch was still "free" in Ji Ji and Cucina del Capitano on Carnival ships? Specifically the Horizon?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

Hi there, I know it hasn't been long since the cruise lines have gotten back to sailing but I was wondering if lunch was still "free" in Ji Ji and Cucina del Capitano on Carnival ships? Specifically the Horizon?

Yea, JiJi for lunch is Mongolian Wok and Cucina is Pasta Bella. Both free. 

1 minute ago, Cruise Related said:

Of note, we also found not a lot of people realized this and it wasn't too busy at all, even when the buffet was packed.

Also, we found that Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ had a free lunch set up one day too.

• Like 1

Just now, wemjam said:

Of note, we also found not a lot of people realized this and it wasn't too busy at all, even when the buffet was packed.

Also, we found that Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ had a free lunch set up one day too.

Yep, Guys Pig and Anchor is open for lunch for free on Sea Days as well as embarkation day. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Yep, Guys Pig and Anchor is open for lunch for free on Sea Days as well as embarkation day. 

That's great to know, I always find the embarkation day lunch buffet to be so overcrowded.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wemjam said:

While that might be true at the beginning of the cruise, usually by the middle people have discovered it and there are lines and long waits, especially for Jiji's. On one cruise we waited 20 minutes to get into Jiji's and by the time we were served our food it was over an hour since we put our name down. While I enjoyed the food as always it was annoying to wait an hour for a bowl of noodles.   

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

While that might be true at the beginning of the cruise, usually by the middle people have discovered it and there are lines and long waits, especially for Jiji's. On one cruise we waited 20 minutes to get into Jiji's and by the time we were served our food it was over an hour since we put our name down. While I enjoyed the food as always it was annoying to wait an hour for a bowl of noodles.   

If I can ask, which ship was this on?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, naxer said:

If I can ask, which ship was this on?

It was the April 6,2019 sailing on the Horizon. I do find this on other Vista class ships since it's a separate restaurant and not particularly many seats. You sit down and then you fill out a slip of paper with your noodle and add on choices,then they bring it to you.They also don't have any beverages besides water.

On some of the older Carnival ships it's part of the buffet area and you order it directly and wait for it . IT was great on the Sunshine since there's 2 separate self service queúes and plenty of it seating.

Edited by kwokpot

9 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It was the April 6,2019 sailing on the Horizon. I do find this on other Vista class ships since it's a separate restaurant and not particularly many seats. You sit down and then you fill out a slip of paper with your noodle and add on choices,then they bring it to you.They also don't have any beverages besides water.

On some of the older Carnival ships it's part of the buffet area and you order it directly and wait for it . IT was great on the Sunshine since there's 2 separate self service queúes and plenty of it seating.

I had wondered.  Between the two, I favor Cucina del Capitano for lunch, and on the Panorama a few weeks before the shutdown, we never had a problem.  I guess it would on depend on whether the people on the cruise catch on to it.  But we very much liked the sit down quality of it, and even the nice little salad and bread.  I'll be on the Mardi Gras in November, and I hope the complimentary lunch offerings that they originally weren't intending, but that they're starting with, will still be in place..

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, naxer said:

I had wondered.  Between the two, I favor Cucina del Capitano for lunch, and on the Panorama a few weeks before the shutdown, we never had a problem.  I guess it would on depend on whether the people on the cruise catch on to it.  But we very much liked the sit down quality of it, and even the nice little salad and bread.  

I agree that both the Asian and Italian specialties are nice as separate restaurant venues for dinner and lunch time when neither are busy,but when they are crowded the experience is less than stellar. Then it becomes like a fast casual place that isn't so fast. If I wanted to wait that long for lunch I rather go to the MDR where there's many more choices and a full service atmosphere. At busy times both Jijis and Cucina the wait times for food is similar to the MDR brunches.

Edited by kwokpot

5 hours ago, Cruise Related said:

On the Sunrise the Asian section in the buffet is called Lucky Bowl. Unfortunately it doesn't do Mongolian stir fry type of noodle dishes but instead it does Ramen/noodle soup dishes. BAD DECISION. While Ramen/noodle soup restaurants are all the rage on land, it makes NO SENSE when you're on a Caribbean cruise. Who wants hot noodle soup for lunch when you just got back in from being out in the hot sun, whether on board or off port? It would be one thing if the noodle soups were IN ADDITION to the Stir fry noodle dishes but the soups are replacements; you cannot get anything without a hot soup added, since they won't stir fry any of the ingredients. 

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

On the Sunrise the Asian section in the buffet is called Lucky Bowl. Unfortunately it doesn't do Mongolian stir fry type of noodle dishes but instead it does Ramen/noodle soup dishes. BAD DECISION. While Ramen/noodle soup restaurants are all the rage on land, it makes NO SENSE when you're on a Caribbean cruise. Who wants hot noodle soup for lunch when you just got back in from being out in the hot sun, whether on board or off port? It would be one thing if the noodle soups were IN ADDITION to the Stir fry noodle dishes but the soups are replacements; you cannot get anything without a hot soup added, since they won't stir fry any of the ingredients. 

Yes I agree. Not many ingredients and mostly broth. I miss the Mongolian wok that some ships had.

Laura

Hmmm.  Not a good discussion for Mongolian Wok and Jiji's for lunch, but I always see the huge lines. Me and my cruise buddies are vegetarian, and I guess without the meat, the wok stuff on the ship is pretty tasteless.  I gave up on it 6 years ago, but the people I sail with still always want to give it another try...and are always disappointed.  I don't know what it is, but even the choice of sauces aren't able to save it.  That's why we always go for the pasta at Cucina.  Of course, we have many happy memories of Tandoor.