Wifi

7 minutes ago, Rv6flyer said:

How slow will it be if most people have the package. We sail in Sept. 

People have been doing live reviews...

I wouldn't expect blazing speeds...especially as passenger count goes up.  

I was on Edge last week with stream package.  I did a speed test on my iPhone and it was like 1,000 ms ping and 1 mbs download and 3-5 mbs upload.   Very poor.

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

I was on Edge last week with stream package.  I did a speed test on my iPhone and it was like 1,000 ms ping and 1 mbs download and 3-5 mbs upload.   Very poor.

I know some people would would consider that to be more than acceptable.  They do not have cable/satellite service in their neighborhood and so are having to deal with dial-up speeds. 

The Wireless on the ship works well enough for text and VoIP phone calls.  Streaming is hit and miss depending on where you are relative to the access point.   Obviously the more people using it, the more latency there will be. 

I have to admit a few spam calls got through on wifi calling but downloading email was extremely slow and my photos wouldn't sync to iCloud.  I was just glad I wasn't paying for it.

Just now, wrk2cruise said:

I have to admit a few spam calls got through on wifi calling but downloading email was extremely slow and my photos wouldn't sync to iCloud.  I was just glad I wasn't paying for it.

But the thing is we ARE paying for it. I would rather not have it included in our package and pay a lower price. I can live without WiFi if it is this bad anyway. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Did you have surf or stream wi-fi?

• 5 weeks later...

I had the Surf WiFi on the Equinox's 7/25 sailing and it was sloooooow. I found it to be just enough to make me bother trying but then ultimately ending in frustration every time. I probably should have done what I have on every other sailing (never had wifi before) and just locked my phone in my safe! I would have, except I really came to rely on the app for activities planning and such. The app did work fine, despite the slow wifi. Getting on Cruise Critic was impossible... half the time the styles wouldn't even load. Checking my email was *slightly* better, but who wants to do that on vacation? I could occasionally get news sites to load, but pictures were so slow to load that I usually just gave up.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, Rv6flyer said:

How slow will it be if most people have the package. We sail in Sept. 

Much will depend on where you are located on the ship.  We had a signal booster installed in our room and Internet was fine but not blazing.  In other locations, it was like Dial-Up.    

It was especially frustrating during the first evening and when everyone was on board.  More success when in port.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, basenji56 said:

How much does it cost to upgrade to the stream wifi?  Is it $31.50 a day just to upgrade from surf to stream???

Xcelerate Stream - Single Device

Enjoy a discounted daily rate for your entire voyage. It's your hassle free solution to…

From*$31.50USD Adult per day

My TA called yesterday.  It was apx $22 to upgrade per day from surf to stream.  That is with my Elite discount.  It would be less if you are Elite Plus.

Is the surf too congested to use for Facebook and email?

2 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

My TA called yesterday.  It was apx $22 to upgrade per day from surf to stream.  That is with my Elite discount.  It would be less if you are Elite Plus.

Is the surf too congested to use for Facebook and email?

Surf is fine for email and fb, tho if your uploading pics etc probably wont work that great overall. Also never any problem using it just for wifi calling.  All depends what you plan on doing.  I just used it to clear my work email every other day and check on some things.  Streaming, uploading pics etc never tried

• Like 2

On 8/12/2021 at 2:35 PM, canderson said:

Was that installed by X upon your request?  What cabin class?

Aqua Class and it was not my request.  They had realized that the signal strength was weak in our area.