Dress code

jjsnonna

On 7/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, dkjretired said:

Mine had nothing to do with gender but price. I could take my Costco jeans and put any Designer label on it and no one would no the difference.

I was at a sandals resort a few years ago and they had one restaurant that had dress code no shorts or jeans, someone was trying to explain that is jeans were designer jeans, he didn’t get in 😁😁😁.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PValleyIA said:

Seriously?  I'm from Tucson and everybody walks around looking like they just came in from pulling weeds or, better yet, in from the hardware store.  Would it hurt to dress up on occasion?  Having an opportunity to wear some sparkles is just one aspect of making cruising fun.... One night out of seven shouldn't be too much of an effort, or is it?  I still bring sparkles for every dinner so I'm use to seeing people who don't want to look like they're part of the fun.....   

Fun for you is misery for others. People should be themselves.  I don't want to be a cast member in your fantasy.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PValleyIA said:

Seriously?  I'm from Tucson and everybody walks around looking like they just came in from pulling weeds or, better yet, in from the hardware store.  Would it hurt to dress up on occasion?  Having an opportunity to wear some sparkles is just one aspect of making cruising fun.... One night out of seven shouldn't be too much of an effort, or is it?  I still bring sparkles for every dinner so I'm use to seeing people who don't want to look like they're part of the fun.....   

If you enjoy playing dress up, then by all means wear your "sparkles" every night. However, it is possible to be well dressed, even elegantly dressed,  without resorting to "bling" ( which can be just as inapprooriate as shorts and a ratty t shirt in the wrong setting).

Even after retirement we need formal wear for quite a few social engagements at home. So this is not fun (for us). It is simply one type of dress. When there are other acceptable options - which there are on Celebrity- we will opt for something less formal. But still fitting into the "elegant chic" ethos. And even less formal, but still well dressed (I hope) on regular casual nights. Sorry if I'm spoiling your fun; but I don't cruise for anyone else's amusement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mom says said:

If you enjoy playing dress up, then by all means wear your "sparkles" every night. However, it is possible to be well dressed, even elegantly dressed,  without resorting to "bling" ( which can be just as inapprooriate as shorts and a ratty t shirt in the wrong setting).

Even after retirement we need formal wear for quite a few social engagements at home. So this is not fun (for us). It is simply one type of dress. When there are other acceptable options - which there are on Celebrity- we will opt for something less formal. But still fitting into the "elegant chic" ethos. And even less formal, but still well dressed (I hope) on regular casual nights. Sorry if I'm spoiling your fun; but I don't cruise for anyone else's amusement.

We are similiar but different as we have been sailing with Celebrity for close to 30 years. We did the whole formal thing for many, many years, often with our kids.  We got great pictures as back then you had to dress formal including the children. We are retired now and just want to relax and enjoy ourselves. I am glad Celebrity gives us that chance with such an accommodating dress code.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, mom says said:

Dress up, dress down, dress like Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner, dress like Mr Green Jeans or Captain Kangaroo, dress how YOU feel comfortable, then go have fun!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Dress up, dress down, dress like Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner, dress like Mr Green Jeans or Captain Kangaroo, dress how YOU feel comfortable, then go have fun!

Overalls!  With a collared shirt!  Sounds good to me…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, LGW59 said:

As long as you have wagon wheel sequins, I will approve 

I don’t think Porter would have ever worm overalls. No way Dolly would in public. And I won’t guess who would have worn the most sequins on any given night!

10 minutes ago, markeb said:

I don’t think Porter would have ever worm overalls. No way Dolly would in public. And I won’t guess who would have worn the most sequins on any given night!

Def correct on the first two and Porter hands down on the third.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

I was at a sandals resort a few years ago and they had one restaurant that had dress code no shorts or jeans, someone was trying to explain that is jeans were designer jeans, he didn’t get in 😁😁😁.

Well... every pair of jeans was designed by someone.

😜 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, American_in_York said:

I could care less what anyone wears. When my husband is in a tux that is the only place I'm looking. 😉

Some people love to dress up.  We do.  The cruise imo is a special time that my DH and I share together or with family.  We enjoy celebrating and it does include dressing up as we rarely do it at home- occasionally a wedding or formal occasion.  It makes us feel like it is New Years eve every formal aka chic night.  If you don't have this feeling, it is hard to explain to others.  I like celebrating special occasions and IMO it includes dressing up.  But that is me.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 3

I think the entire point, if you want to dress up for pics or for the “chic” night, by all means, do so.  I don’t think most of us really care how someone else dresses.

It’s the ones who do try to dictate how we must dress like them that seems to get under peoples’ skin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Exactly, feel free to dress up as much as you want, and not be judged for doing so.

Just understand that the rest of us not wearing a tux/ballgown are doing exactly the same, and expect the same lack of judgement...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 3

So getting ready to pack for my first Celebrity cruise and printed out the dress code... “guests are asked to follow smart casual or evening chic dress code in the theater”.  Hmm... no shorts allowed? Is this enforced or a suggestion? I’m not talking about short shorts with holes, I would want to wear knee length shorts.  

8 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

So getting ready to pack for my first Celebrity cruise and printed out the dress code... “guests are asked to follow smart casual or evening chic dress code in the theater”.  Hmm... no shorts allowed? Is this enforced or a suggestion? I’m not talking about short shorts with holes, I would want to wear knee length shorts.  

I can only speak for the cruises we've been on. I've seen shorts in the theater no matter the evening. 

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Some of our RC cruises there has been two older guys that always travel together. They dress up day and evening. I would call their style of dress, flamboyant. To each their own. 👍

Were you watching me and my husband!?  🎉

I have occasionally chimed in on these discussions and will be repeating myself here - apologies.  My husband and I enjoy dressing up on our holidays.  It makes for a special evening.  We're both fine with others not dressing up - everyone has a different idea of dressing for a special evening.  As long as people are trying to follow the ship's expectations, are not wearing blatantly offensive clothing, etc., we're good with "to each his/her own".  My beef involves gender differences.  I am a woman and have worn dressy shorts (lace, leather, linen, short, long, etc.) and sandals that are basically fancy slides/flip flops hundreds of times to main dining rooms, a la cartes, expensive land restaurants, etc. and have never been denied entry.  Granted, these are not cutoff shorts and rubber beach flip flops.  However, my husband could wear his often more expensive leather slides, linen walking shorts(long), etc. and be turned away.  How is this fair?  We actually overheard a woman at another table comment about another young man trying to enter:  "why would we want to see a man's hairy legs and feet during dinner?"  All I can say is WOW.  It reminds me of teaching high school - years ago, we had to "police" the hats in the classroom.  Girls could wear any kind of hat - toque, fedora, sunhat, fascinator, etc. as it was "part of their outfit", apparently.  Boys had to immediately remove any kind of hat.  A few of us teachers fought hard against this and had the rule thrown out permanently. 

In hot weather, especially, both genders should be allowed the same flexibility with clothing/footwear, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, zook50 said:

I have occasionally chimed in on these discussions and will be repeating myself here - apologies.  My husband and I enjoy dressing up on our holidays.  It makes for a special evening.  We're both fine with others not dressing up - everyone has a different idea of dressing for a special evening.  As long as people are trying to follow the ship's expectations, are not wearing blatantly offensive clothing, etc., we're good with "to each his/her own".  My beef involves gender differences.  I am a woman and have worn dressy shorts (lace, leather, linen, short, long, etc.) and sandals that are basically fancy slides/flip flops hundreds of times to main dining rooms, a la cartes, expensive land restaurants, etc. and have never been denied entry.  Granted, these are not cutoff shorts and rubber beach flip flops.  However, my husband could wear his often more expensive leather slides, linen walking shorts(long), etc. and be turned away.  How is this fair?  We actually overheard a woman at another table comment about another young man trying to enter:  "why would we want to see a man's hairy legs and feet during dinner?"  All I can say is WOW.  It reminds me of teaching high school - years ago, we had to "police" the hats in the classroom.  Girls could wear any kind of hat - toque, fedora, sunhat, fascinator, etc. as it was "part of their outfit", apparently.  Boys had to immediately remove any kind of hat.  A few of us teachers fought hard against this and had the rule thrown out permanently. 

In hot weather, especially, both genders should be allowed the same flexibility with clothing/footwear, IMHO.

Very reasonable and well stated!!