Jump to content

Reality of RCCL's COVID policies on August 13, 2021 Alaska sailing?


Recommended Posts

With all due respect, cruising on RCI's Ovation August 13, may not be the best option for you.  My concern is that even though Royal has been very open and direct about what the mask protocol is for this cruise, you seem unable to accept the reality of it.  I think someone said that it seems as if you wished it away, that the changes that you want will happen.

 

The Aug 13 Ovation cruise will be its first of the 2021 season.  You can bet that the crew and ship officers will make sure that all the protocols are followed on board.  They want to have a successful, safe and healthy first sailing and season.  They will make sure the mask protocols will be followed.

 

I am hoping that all your venting on CC is a pressure relief valve for you.  My worry is if you board the ship still feeling aggrieved, that the possibility of aggrieved feelings turning into actions would not end well. 

If you truly feel this strongly about the cruise mask protocols (and all this isn't a trolling exercise), I would seriously suggest that you reconsider taking this cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lowest Common Denominator?  So Children are the lowest common denominator to you? No adult unvaccinated on the Alaska cruises but Royal is catering to the Lowest Common Denominator.  SMH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone who is most likely to bring COVID on the ship is the lowest common denominator. Right now, that's children 11 and under. Princess and NCL agree, requiring 100% vaccination (i.e., no kids 11 and under). Celebrity is satisfied with 95%+ vaccinated so there are some children on there, but the vaccinated still don't have to wear masks like on its baby sister company.

 

If RCCL wants to allow children on board, all it needs to do is make sure they and their families make up less than 5% of the passenger complement. Then RCCL can be just like Celebrity with common-sense, reasonable protocols. That's how RCCL sold the Seattle/Alaska cruises, and the calculated bait-and-switch is a selfish double-take.

 

I'm all for being careful and wearing masks when there's a statistically advantageous improvement to safety. But with all passengers over 12 being fully vaccinated and everyone else testing negative for COVID, the likelihood of a catastrophic outbreak is almost 0%.

 

Of course, that's different than the chance of at least one family testing positive for COVID during the cruise, which is almost a 100% chance. But if everyone is careful, wearing masks in crowded, indoor situations where non-vaccinated are present, that won't matter. But requiring masking outdoors and in spacious venues where there might be an unvaccinated person is ridiculous.

 

It's RCCL's decision to apparently allow more than 5% of its passengers to be unvaccinated that's the problem, not the masking requirements in general. And it's RCCL's decision to allow the small minority of non-vaccinated passengers into too many public areas that's also the problem. They're allowing 5-10% of the passengers to dictate how the other 90-95% of passengers enjoy their cruise. This after making such a big deal of sailing out of Seattle where vaccination status can be required before boarding.

 

The solution is to require the unvaccinated to be tested daily and ditch the mask requirements for vaccinated passengers. The end result will be the same.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My concern is that even though Royal has been very open and direct about what the mask protocol is for this cruise, you seem unable to accept the reality of it.

 

If only RCI had been open and direct about allowing non-vaccinated passengers on the ship back when the cruise was first sold, we would have known to book a different cruise line. There's no transparency here; just the illusion of it – that's the actual reality of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I switched from an NCL Encore cruise to Ovation for my Sept Alaskan cruise.

Why, because as a fully vaccinated person I did not want to deal with mandatory testing which could result in a false positive and require more testing and stress. My luck I would be denied boarding.

I booked a balcony on Ovation near front of ship on starboard side to enjoy the port views. I sailed in 2019 on her famous first cruise and did a lot. Now I just want to ease back into cruising using my balcony.

 

I will wear mask when walking around and at a few venues, but plan on spending a LOT of time on the balcony. Might get off ship to walk around after the masses has gotten off.

 

I think RCI is handling things well!!

They will use the reward or deny system much like the way children are handled in school or home. 

You follow the rules and the science, you get more.

BTW, for those who have concerns about protocols, just look at CCL. They are really relaxing things a bit more.

 

Each cruise line has to so what they think best. In the long run, it will be even better when all children are vaccinated. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

With all due respect, cruising on RCI's Ovation August 13, may not be the best option for you.  My concern is that even though Royal has been very open and direct about what the mask protocol is for this cruise, you seem unable to accept the reality of it.  I think someone said that it seems as if you wished it away, that the changes that you want will happen.

 

The Aug 13 Ovation cruise will be its first of the 2021 season.  You can bet that the crew and ship officers will make sure that all the protocols are followed on board.  They want to have a successful, safe and healthy first sailing and season.  They will make sure the mask protocols will be followed.

 

I am hoping that all your venting on CC is a pressure relief valve for you.  My worry is if you board the ship still feeling aggrieved, that the possibility of aggrieved feelings turning into actions would not end well. 

If you truly feel this strongly about the cruise mask protocols (and all this isn't a trolling exercise), I would seriously suggest that you reconsider taking this cruise.

Absolutely agree with you.  It is obvious that the OP has a real hard spot for RCCL right now.  To think that he may actually still cruise on this line is incredible.  If some business pisses me off that much in advance of me utilizing their services, I would never consider using their services.  Particularly in this case, as Royal has a well documented policy of offering a 100% refund to anyone not wanting to/able to follow the protocols in place for their specific cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

Absolutely agree with you.  It is obvious that the OP has a real hard spot for RCCL right now.  To think that he may actually still cruise on this line is incredible.  If some business pisses me off that much in advance of me utilizing their services, I would never consider using their services.  Particularly in this case, as Royal has a well documented policy of offering a 100% refund to anyone not wanting to/able to follow the protocols in place for their specific cruise.

 

I completely agree. We cancelled our three suites on the Ovation and RCI agreed to refund our fare.

 

Still considering what to replace it with, if anything. Not a fan of Princess, as their suite products are far inferior to RCI, Celebrity, and NCL (the Princess Sky Suite doesn't hold a candle to the NCL 3-Bedroom Garden Villa Suite, Celebrity Penthouse Suite, or RCI Royal Loft Suite).

 

If I can find some suites on NCL, that might work, but they don't seem to have much availability in Alaska. Celebrity has a few suites on certain voyages, but some of our older travel companions might not like that there are unvaccinated passengers on board, even though it's 5% or less and only children who have tested negative prior to the cruise. (I think on Celebrity out of Seattle, everyone needs to show a negative COVID test prior to boarding.)

 

Since I'm no longer on this sailing, I shall stop posting my thoughts here. Problem has been resolved, and those passengers who are happy with the Alaska COVID protocols will likely have a very nice cruise on August 13th. RCI handled our cancellation well, so no hard feelings from us (although we'll probably be less likely to look at them first when choosing future cruises).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...