The Daily for Tuesday Jul 13, 2021

Thanks to all for your daily contributions. I have a brother-in-law who is a very active barber shop quartet member. Always singing around the house in his car etc. 😳Frankly, it get’s on my nerves now and then!😁

That new menu that was posted on another post was interesting. Going to be a different experience but can’t wait to check it out.

Enjoy the day on this side of the grass!

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning from central Texas.  My weather app says it is going to be sunny and in the low 90s today, but I think predicting Texas weather is a guessing game not a science.

An interesting combination of days.  I like the harmony of barbershop quartets, rarely hear them these days.  I'm not a geek and I'm not sure about a fool's paradise.

I like the George Gershwin quote.

We will pass on the meal, drink and the wine today.  DH likes tuna, but I'm not a fan.  Not sure what we will have for dinner tonight.

We have not been to the port of the day.  Looking forward to pictures from some one who has been there.  

@rafinmd Roy how sad that two scouts from the troop are having medical problems.  They are in my thoughts and wishing them a full recovery.

@Seasick Sailor. Joy, an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Allen.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. - George Gershwin

Improvisation is not for the weak; a great deal of risk is involved.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On my 2017 Grand Asia cruise we had a Barbershop Quartet, the Alley Cats:

alleycats.jpg

They got more of a gig than they were planning on as they were supposed to disembark in Dutch Harbor but were held over when storms prevented us from getting there.

Roy

• Like 23

Good morning everyone. We had a major thunderstorm roll in last night. Lots of lightening and thunder and today it’s cloudy and damp.

Happy to say the health care agency replaced the aide from h**l with someone very nice and fingers crossed she will work out ok. I never realized how awful, certified aides can be. She was just a miserable human who thought it her job to humiliate and intimidate both of us. 

Sam is doing better everyday. We have an appointment with a neurologist but not until the end of August. We need to try to find out where this stroke originated in order to try not to have a repeat.

Take care everyone.

Carol

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

A barbershop quartet is a group of four singers who sing music in the barbershop style, characterized by four-part harmony without instrumental accompaniment, or a cappella. The four voices are: the lead, the vocal part which typically carries the melody; a bass, the part which provides the bass line to the melody; a tenor, the part which harmonizes above the lead; and a baritone, the part that frequently completes the chord. The baritone sings either above or below the lead singer as the harmony requires. Barbershop music is typified by close harmony— the upper three voices generally remain within one octave of each other.(Wikipedia)

Thank you Rich for an excellent description of this music.

I like most forms of music from Rock, classical,soul,Motown,easy listening Gospel etc but maybe being from the UK it is music that is new to me.

Thanks again for the video example too.

Kind regards.

Graham 

• Like 16

Djupivogur was added a week before our 2018 Zuiderdam cruise was scheduled to depart, which was a pleasant surprise, as it replaced a sea day. With the massive tourism growth in Iceland, it is nice to see cruise companies trying to find new areas to explore.

I heard a few passengers on the ship saying they were not planning on going ashore, mainly because they felt it had no nicely developed tourism infrastructure. They were looking for a well choregraphed production, which they could experience with little discomfort - so for them there was nothing really to see. 

For us, the chance to experience the local culture and nature before they are molded into something someone thinks tourists want to see - is what makes these stops so interesting.

With Djupivogur, along with several other stops on this cruise, we had the opportunity to have casual conversations with the local people before they become disillusioned with tourists, plus we got to walk through nature before the paths got paved over.

As you can see from this picture of their information sign, Djupivogur isn't very big - it has a population of less then 500.

208370180_BusinessArea.thumb.jpg.e1fb15ba37c8545b18c54ed8837617ec.jpg
Djupivogur is a tender port.

Port.jpg.423c55e077b281383252acd07670e823.jpg

The above picture was taken from on top a small hill, which a lot of the people climbed to get an overview of the town.

Hill.jpg.06ec7abf643b738a3c1d287391eb0d0b.jpg

The restaurant shown in the picture was a popular place from people looking for Wi-Fi.  

Normally their main tourist traffic is people driving the coastal ring road, so their information centre consists of a small one room building beside the campground - which was quickly overrun by the passengers from our ship.

Info.jpg.160f89d1001c95f8150bd2004bed23c3.jpg
Being Iceland there is, of course, several local hiking trails. We decided to take the one which followed around the peninsular, which extended out into the bay. It started on the road on the left side of this picture and ended at the hilltop on the right side where the communication towers are. It was about 5km long.

62130292_Path1.jpg.de4408ee80b08035169a32de14931e92.jpg

Starting at the edge of the town the trail was marked with stakes, which you can see to the left of the pile of stones.

928405529_Marker1.jpg.eae23961f36b760a9d8f9fea284002cd.jpg

Looking back towards the town about halfway on our way out.

489481144_path4.jpg.36ae15bdead24847933be5acbf095d35.jpg

After our hike we spent some time walking around parts of the town.

In a residential area, we noticed most of the houses had created their own unique landscaping. 

From a fairly clean layout.

597073280_yard7.jpg.3d7ce06a5946dcc85928fb21cc8a255e.jpg

To something much more elaborate. 

385272181_yard3.jpg.18ccae233114d955e2a56cbeaa927fb3.jpg

1840634391_yard2.jpg.b73e34787d91c990fef213421f245370.jpg

53799977_yard4.jpg.28cbee288ba1d951d433f5e48468e1b3.jpg

385902317_yard1.jpg.afd28d0eaa40e4ab4066e80dd7ad1e1c.jpg

View from the backside of the above signposts.

1704453967_yard6.jpg.6dfffe4bde9ad54dc7db64916ac47176.jpg

Closeup of one of the signposts.

849627386_WelcomeSignPost.thumb.jpg.202587e07070cbbdf16d027ae3d26a53.jpg

At the house with the signposts was the workshop and showroom of Jon Sigurosson's JFS Handcraft. Jon has spent over 30 years collecting rocks throughout Iceland and has one of the largest collections in Iceland.

A lot of them he has on display in his yard.

269258647_StoneGardenSign.jpg.87f24eb752db2ed01a92486e51b70e21.jpg

224098000_RockGarden.thumb.jpg.ed688921684ebc731aaa71b5087078e5.jpg

Jon was a fisherman until he was injured in a fishing accident. He then started to make things out of local materials, such a rocks and driftwood.

In his showroom he has many of his handicrafts and rocks you can purchase.

145599947_jon3.jpg.df4382bf6bfc952e40c4fc106e6b9045.jpg

1330121340_jon1.jpg.98c271073e20b0655ea9236f1a6ed764.jpg

He was a delight to talk with and hear his stories of Iceland. He also takes pride in showing how he makes his crafts.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good  morning  everyone. @kazu, I  loved  the  cartoon  about  the  gardening/burial  and  once  again  choked  on  my  coffee. Thanks  for  the  good  laugh every  day. I  like  Barbershop  Quartets  and  enjoy  figuring  out  the  bass,tenor  lead  etc. Fools  Paradise  day  sounds  like  fun  and  I  embrace  my  nerdy  geekness. The  recipe  looks  great  and  I  might  try  it  tonight  if  I  can  get  the  tuna today.

I  made  the  broccoli cheese  soup  last  night  as  DD  heard  about  it  and  requested  it. Roasting  the  broccoli  gives  it  a  great  flavor  and  the  four  of  us  consumed  the  entire  pot. Thanks  Debbie @dfish! It  was  a  very  happy  group.

Rain  is  promised  for  today  and  the  damaging  floods  kept  their  distance yesterday  but  we  have  had  some  wicked  thunderstorms. The  humidity  and  the  temperatures  are  about  equal  at  this  point.

Have  a  good  day everyone.      

Terry

• Like 25

7 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Djupivogur was added a week before our 2018 Zuiderdam cruise was scheduled to depart, which was a pleasant surprise, as it replaced a sea day. With the massive tourism growth in Iceland, it is nice to see cruise companies trying to find new areas to explore.

I heard a few passengers on the ship saying they were not planning on going ashore, mainly because they felt it had no nicely developed tourism infrastructure. They were looking for a well choregraphed production, which they could experience with little discomfort - so for them there was nothing really to see. 

For us, the chance to experience the local culture and nature before they are molded into something someone thinks tourists want to see - is what makes these stops so interesting.

With Djupivogur, along with several other stops on this cruise, we had the opportunity to have casual conversations with the local people before they become disillusioned with tourists, plus we got to walk through nature before the paths got paved over.

As you can see from this picture of their information sign, Djupivogur isn't very big - it has a population of less then 500.

208370180_BusinessArea.thumb.jpg.e1fb15ba37c8545b18c54ed8837617ec.jpg
Djupivogur is a tender port.

Port.jpg.423c55e077b281383252acd07670e823.jpg

The above picture was taken from on top a small hill, which a lot of the people climbed to get an overview of the town.

Hill.jpg.06ec7abf643b738a3c1d287391eb0d0b.jpg

The restaurant shown in the picture was a popular place from people looking for Wi-Fi.  

Normally their main tourist traffic is people driving the coastal ring road, so their information centre consists of a small one room building beside the campground - which was quickly overrun by the passengers from our ship.

Info.jpg.160f89d1001c95f8150bd2004bed23c3.jpg
Being Iceland there is, of course, several local hiking trails. We decided to take the one which followed around the peninsular, which extended out into the bay. It started on the road on the left side of this picture and ended at the hilltop on the right side where the communication towers are. It was about 5km long.

62130292_Path1.jpg.de4408ee80b08035169a32de14931e92.jpg

Starting at the edge of the town the trail was marked with stakes, which you can see to the left of the pile of stones.

928405529_Marker1.jpg.eae23961f36b760a9d8f9fea284002cd.jpg

Looking back towards the town about halfway on our way out.

489481144_path4.jpg.36ae15bdead24847933be5acbf095d35.jpg

After our hike we spent some time walking around parts of the town.

In a residential area, we noticed most of the houses had created their own unique landscaping. 

From a fairly clean layout.

597073280_yard7.jpg.3d7ce06a5946dcc85928fb21cc8a255e.jpg

To something much more elaborate. 

385272181_yard3.jpg.18ccae233114d955e2a56cbeaa927fb3.jpg

1840634391_yard2.jpg.b73e34787d91c990fef213421f245370.jpg

53799977_yard4.jpg.28cbee288ba1d951d433f5e48468e1b3.jpg

385902317_yard1.jpg.afd28d0eaa40e4ab4066e80dd7ad1e1c.jpg

View from the backside of the above signposts.

1704453967_yard6.jpg.6dfffe4bde9ad54dc7db64916ac47176.jpg

Closeup of one of the signposts.

849627386_WelcomeSignPost.thumb.jpg.202587e07070cbbdf16d027ae3d26a53.jpg

At the house with the signposts was the workshop and showroom of Jon Sigurosson's JFS Handcraft. Jon has spent over 30 years collecting rocks throughout Iceland and has one of the largest collections in Iceland.

A lot of them he has on display in his yard.

269258647_StoneGardenSign.jpg.87f24eb752db2ed01a92486e51b70e21.jpg

224098000_RockGarden.thumb.jpg.ed688921684ebc731aaa71b5087078e5.jpg

Jon was a fisherman until he was injured in a fishing accident. He then started to make things out of local materials, such a rocks and driftwood.

In his showroom he has many of his handicrafts and rocks you can purchase.

145599947_jon3.jpg.df4382bf6bfc952e40c4fc106e6b9045.jpg

1330121340_jon1.jpg.98c271073e20b0655ea9236f1a6ed764.jpg

He was a delight to talk with and hear his stories of Iceland. He also takes pride in showing how he makes his crafts.

Thank you for an interesting selection of photos from a port unknown to me.

Graham.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Tomorrow is Allen's birthday. We are going to an early dinner, then a country music concert here in the ballroom. 

Happy Birthday to Allen, tomorrow 🥳 🎂 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

On my 2017 Grand Asia cruise we had a Barbershop Quartet, the Alley Cats:

alleycats.jpg

They got more of a gig than they were planning on as they were supposed to disembark in Dutch Harbor but were held over when storms prevented us from getting there.

Roy

I have seen them on a previous cruise but can’t remember which one. They were pretty good.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Good Morning All,

We have another warm day coming. Have “heat tolerant” lettuce sprouting on the sink counter, and a few beans that literally popped up overnight, and some yellow passion fruit! I’ve taken to starting seeds indoors, due to the heat and birds. 

I wonder if Cat is visiting today’s port?

Anyway, here’s her wine report:

Deakin Estate Chardonnay
Australians and people in other far off lands might be lucky enough to find this Chardonnay with very good ratings and a very reasonable price. And with prices starting at $11.42/bottle, you might be willig to have it shipped.

Winemaker notes:
Deakin Estate’s vineyards lie in South Eastern Australia near Mildura in north west Victoria. Here, the mighty river weaves across the land, bringing life to the region and to our vines. Rich, fertile soils and a warm, sunny climate also create a perfect environment for growing quality fruit to make these delicious

wines. Style: Fresh, Balanced, elegant.

Taste: White peach, pear, hints of citrus. A fresh, balanced, elegant Chardonnay with flavours of white peach, pear and hints of citrus. Enjoy now but will develop some complexities from short term cellaring. Serve chilled.

Gotta go. His Nibs wants his walk. Now.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A little late to the party today, I slept in - the temps cooled off overnight, creating a lovely dreamland for me.  Like most of you, I've been on this board long enough to remember having Barbershop Music Appreciation Day last year - likely because it isn't my favourite style of music.  LOL  I embrace my inner geekness once in a while when DH can't figure out how to do something on the computer.  According to the dictionary, I've been living in a fool's paradise ever since I retired, and quite frankly, I'm happy there!

I'm so excited because for the first time since last fall, I'm getting together with some colleagues for breakfast at a restaurant.  What seemed so ordinary before is now a real cause for celebration!  There's so much to do - shower, make-up, hair, try to find clothes that still fit after all the cooking I've done this past year, wear actual sandals, not just flip flops - the list goes on!

I like today's menu suggestion, but we don't have access to fresh tuna very often here on the "frozen tundra", so I've got a pork loin that will be going into the slow cooker along with a bottle of barbecue sauce.  I'll be turning that into pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw for us for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to toast all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

31 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. We had a major thunderstorm roll in last night. Lots of lightening and thunder and today it’s cloudy and damp.

Happy to say the health care agency replaced the aide from h**l with someone very nice and fingers crossed she will work out ok. I never realized how awful, certified aides can be. She was just a miserable human who thought it her job to humiliate and intimidate both of us. 

Sam is doing better everyday. We have an appointment with a neurologist but not until the end of August. We need to try to find out where this stroke originated in order to try not to have a repeat.

Take care everyone.

Carol

That sounds very hopeful, Carol and hopefully the situation is very improved for you.  Glad to hear Sam is doing better each day 👍 

@GeorgeCharlie that looks like an intriguing and amazing experience.  Thanks so much for the great photos.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Rich a great Daily this morning,  thank you!

I love tuna, the wine and drink sounds good. Love Barbershop quartets.

Went to our (boring) fitness orientation yesterday so we could get our little dot on our badges to be allowed into the fitness centers and classrooms. We have 3 buildings here you can swim, play outdoor activities (pickleball is very popular) and a huge workout center and classes. Finally doors are fully open and no waiting outside in line.

Yesterday was cool and had a nice breeze. We took Elvis and went to dinner at a restaurant here in Sun City. Then friends stopped by for the evening and a glass of wine. 

Tomorrow is Allen's birthday. We are going to an early dinner, then a country music concert here in the ballroom. 

A lunch date today and I have a full class of Mahjongg students this afternoon. 

Take care, God bless, Prayers and Cheers!

image.png.3429ebe03926158c8044ee70ed9f0584.png

Sending birthday wishes for Allen tomorrow.

Country music concert sounds awesome.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I will track it on Vesselfinder.com so we can see it as it comes into Puget Sound.  Now I am really sorry we canceled our 8/7 cruise!

• Like 7

Good morning, everyone, and thank you to Rich, Roy, Jacqui , and everyone who posts.   Another interesting day, with at least some good news!  I have some good news too.  Do you remember some months ago an oil slick was discovered coming from a sunken HAL ship off Vancouver Island - the mv Schiedyk?  Well, after months surrounded by booms, it has been emptied of fuel.  

https://www.cheknews.ca/oil-finally-removed-from-mv-schiedyk-historic-shipwreck-in-nootka-sound-835813/

• Like 22

If it's Tuesday, it must be Papa Murphy Pizza!

A daylily that we transplanted from the condo to the new house just started blooming. It was my Mom's favorite. She called them Lemon Lilies and they have a lovely scent. They have travelled a long way. They were at our house in Pittsburgh when I was a kid, some got moved to my parent's retirement home/hobby farm near Parker, PA, and then brought to MN years ago where they now reside in 3 different gardens. A few somehow found their way to our cottage in the Kawartha Lakes....

image.thumb.png.131ff9695cc99714826dc221394446be.png

At the cottage -

DSC_1472.thumb.JPG.17c4e94c974b686e4458d114eb3231d3.JPG

• Like 27

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I like my geekiness! It's also National French Fry Day!

Good quote.

I'll pass on the tuna steak. I like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for pictures from those who have.

I was awakened around 4AM by the most impressive lightning and thunder I've seen. The house was shaking. Some people have wires down, but luckily I was spared this time. Some flooding issues too, but I'm on high ground.

@mamaofami Good news on the new aide and Sam's progress.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

A pic of early this AM from our local photographer who's out for every storm, Dave DiCello.

1637765578_DiCellolightning7_13_2021.thumb.jpg.d8089b502397caf1be832971cf9f63a3.jpg

• Like 26

32 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, everyone, and thank you to Rich, Roy, Jacqui , and everyone who posts.   Another interesting day, with at least some good news!  I have some good news too.  Do you remember some months ago an oil slick was discovered coming from a sunken HAL ship off Vancouver Island - the mv Schiedyk?  Well, after months surrounded by booms, it has been emptied of fuel.  

https://www.cheknews.ca/oil-finally-removed-from-mv-schiedyk-historic-shipwreck-in-nootka-sound-835813/

Oh THAT is really good news, Ann 👍 So happy to hear it has been emptied!

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Good Morning,

It's a comfortable 60 degrees this morning, the marine layer could be seen off in the distance but didn't quite make it this far, perhaps tomorrow when the push will be a bit harder.  Gale warnings are up for the overnight which the NA might encounter in the Strait of Juan De Fuca as she makes her way to Seattle.  Normally this would mean an approaching storm, too bad that's not the case now, we desperately need the rain. We're approaching 30 days without rain which is getting into serious record breaking territory for this neck of the woods.

A new wildfire erupted overnight near the Coulee Dam and the evacuation orders included entire towns, not good at all.  Like the other fires, it was caused by lightning.  There are several other fires burning in the state and only about 20% contained. 

weather1.jpg.81310fb393cb1adaf2ec0c7dafe0c4bc.jpg

Another busy day.  It's rubbish day, so I have to put that out in a little while, then it's off to the pharmacy.  The junk hauling has been scheduled for Thursday, and I'm delighted, I love getting rid of things (hoarder I am not).  

Thanks to all the listers and thoughts/prayers to all that need them.  

Thrilled to see the NA now off the coast of Washington.  Looks like she will arrive sometime during the overnight hours based on her position.

Have a great day!

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I will pass on all the days other than the Chardonnay and the port, which I loved when we visited during the VOV August 2018.

It's a busy week, preparing to take our grandson to the ocean for 2 days.  It's a postponed birthday present, but he's finally getting his cast off today so all systems are go!  He loves being in the water more than anything, I'm looking forward to a fun weekend!

Here are my photos of Djupivogur.  We spent hours just walking.  Around the lake, up the hills, and one thing I especially wanted to do was to see Jon Sigurosson's shop so we spent some time there visiting with him (as already said, he's a delightful, friendly and welcoming man).  We found a few trinkets for the grandsons, but oh my things were expensive as everything is in Iceland.  We thoroughly enjoyed our day.

dock.jpg.57688c239fe2f79a356fb072d3f6345b.jpg

This building dates back to 1790

1171573308_datesbackto1790.jpg.7d51cce0bd5b1edbe0e24b0bd33e251f.jpg

1918090429_walkaroundlake.jpg.16d2562bb7958d227e5bf3d4623dc840.jpg

1342778484_Icelandicchurch.jpg.947fc3f7843b4c1ea538630574013285.jpg

313573101_Djupivogurmemorial.jpg.f6eed81e08b470df2c2eb361f16926e9.jpg

These plants fascinated me.  When I was able to look them up, I found the common name is "Cotton Flower" and they really look like cotton plants in a field.

687972394_CottonFlower.jpg.8401a890b5bc5644e412ade03eeed955.jpg

This is the lake we walked around

1236683569_Djupivogurlake.jpg.172c3b161e23e58f0764cd206c90ae72.jpg

Jon's shop with polished local rock, crystal and wood carvings.  Amazing.

1487824880_JFSHandcraft.jpg.becc4fdb11ff57ff9f63dbb8ec105802.jpg

Jon, this is in back of the shop.

Jon.jpg.5ee159ff615cc003c7ef6637df5f0497.jpg

Beautiful Lupines

1548036114_IcelandicLupines.thumb.jpg.f77484469b8b2c780cea98d9d10244fe.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I am back on my feet after yesterday spent on the move. We did get a pretty good rain last night, and more is expected (hoped for) today. We are getting smoke from some of the fires to our north, and we are not thrilled with the idea of lightening with the rain. Fingers crossed.

Yesterday morning I had to take my car in for a check-up. The dealership has moved out of town but since the car is fairly new thought I would go out there. Durango is expanding and evidently they are planning for real growth out where Subaru is now located so it involved a new roundabout. Not generally a problem except this one had lots of exits and was new enough that there were no signs. I managed to figure it out.... and roundabouts don't usually phase me. I have driven in England for years! But this one is very poorly designed, even if the signs were in place. I did make my appointment but will take another route (longer) in the future until they get the sign issue dealt with. I think our county has just discovered the concept.... they are putting them in all sorts of unlikely places. And in some cases I think they are making them way too tight.

Today I have a meeting for the shelter - we are dealing with a roof and failure of HVAC system.... not a good time for either. And I thought I would be bored during retirement. Would much, much, rather be cruising.

Susan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1