Jump to content

Mixed Vaccines


Recommended Posts

Any Canadians cruise or travel fully vaccinated with mixed vaccines?  Most of my family is now fully vaccinated (Pfizer/Moderna).  We didn't have much choice in Ontario as they are holding Pfizer for the 12-17 year olds.  We weren't willing to wait to see if we get more Pfizer.  It seemed the safest decision was to get it done ASAP.   We have a cruise booked October 24.  We know Royal has announced they consider mixed doses fully vaccinated but I'd love to hear if anyone who is mixed vaccinated has actually traveled and had no problems.

 

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

We know Royal has announced they consider mixed doses fully vaccinated but I'd love to hear if anyone who is mixed vaccinated has actually traveled and had no problems.

The best suggestion I have seen is to print your watermarked proof of vaccine from the Ontario website. Print only the second vaccine sheet which says you have two vaccines and that the second one is Moderna. This would satisfy requirements as it is official and accesses your information so is more difficult to counterfeit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

Any Canadians cruise or travel fully vaccinated with mixed vaccines?  Most of my family is now fully vaccinated (Pfizer/Moderna).  We didn't have much choice in Ontario as they are holding Pfizer for the 12-17 year olds.  We weren't willing to wait to see if we get more Pfizer.  It seemed the safest decision was to get it done ASAP.   We have a cruise booked October 24.  We know Royal has announced they consider mixed doses fully vaccinated but I'd love to hear if anyone who is mixed vaccinated has actually traveled and had no problems.

 

Thanks in advance!

We are the same re. 2 vaccines- Pfizer and Moderna. Would also love to hear of anyone’s experiences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 8:36 AM, Robjame said:

The best suggestion I have seen is to print your watermarked proof of vaccine from the Ontario website. Print only the second vaccine sheet which says you have two vaccines and that the second one is Moderna. This would satisfy requirements as it is official and accesses your information so is more difficult to counterfeit.

We just downloaded our sheet from the website...the 2nd one.  Carnival is also looking for the phone number and address of where you received your doses.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is from HAL's website: 

image.thumb.png.7a2751d5b79dd578890364a2409fde78.png

 

According to HAL, if one received two different mRNA vaccines, they are considered fully vaxxed.  If one received AZ and then Pfizer or Moderna, they are not considered fully vaxxed.

 

Someone on the HAL board reported that other cruise lines have similar policies but I didn't confirm that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

This is from HAL's website: 

image.thumb.png.7a2751d5b79dd578890364a2409fde78.png

 

According to HAL, if one received two different mRNA vaccines, they are considered fully vaxxed.  If one received AZ and then Pfizer or Moderna, they are not considered fully vaxxed.

 

Someone on the HAL board reported that other cruise lines have similar policies but I didn't confirm that.

 

Carnival has the same policy.

It really puts a lot of people in a stressful situation as many people in Ontario got Astra Zeneca as their first dose and then were told to get Pfizer/Modernas as their second.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

 

Carnival has the same policy.

It really puts a lot of people in a stressful situation as many people in Ontario got Astra Zeneca as their first dose and then were told to get Pfizer/Modernas as their second.

 

Same thing happened in Alberta, probably across Canada.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, kafraser78 said:

We just downloaded our sheet from the website...the 2nd one.  Carnival is also looking for the phone number and address of where you received your doses.  

The CDC card has a section for filling in "Healthcare Professional or Clinic Site", and the Ontario record reflects the same information, at least it does in mine:

 

Vaccine administered by / Vaccin administré par: Bernard S., Medical Doctor

Authorized organization / Organisme agréé: Eastern Ontario Health Unit

 

Are you sure that Carnival requires the additional information not provided on the CDC card?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the “mixed vaccine” and hoping that  this will be clarifies by the end of the year. If not, I will have to cancel a cruise. Glad I checked the website of the Cruiseline as a result of this post!
 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 8:03 AM, MaddyandMax said:

We know Royal has announced they consider mixed doses fully vaccinated but I'd love to hear if anyone who is mixed vaccinated has actually traveled and had no problems.

Where did you get this information from because on Royals site under the healthy sailing questions about vaccines it still states that mixed vaccines will not be accepted as being fully vaccinated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NCL, RCL and CCL and their subsidiaries have all stated that people with a combination of AZ and any other vaccine are not welcome on their ships for cruising in the US.   To be clear, they are saying that we are classified as non-vaccinated.  Some of the cruise companies are also saying a combination of Pfizer/Moderna is not acceptable.   Everyone needs to contact their MP and MPP to let them know of this issue!  If we don't say anything, anyone with a mixed vaccine will not be able to cruise on the major cruiseline ships.  Also, contact the cruiseline as well.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pixiedust777 said:

Where did you get this information from because on Royals site under the healthy sailing questions about vaccines it still states that mixed vaccines will not be accepted as being fully vaccinated.

 

I believe they changed their messaging today, up until recently it all said mixing was ok. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, they just changed and I am LIVID.  You can't say one thing and allow people to book and then change your mind....  Final payment for my October cruise in on MONDAY.  My TA is telling us to pay regardless, the policy will change.  I also have my honeymoon (10 years late) booked for March... We have a mixture of adults who are mixed dose.  All 11 of us will have to cancel if it doesn't change.  This whole thing is ridiculous.  Royal should be ashamed as far as I am concerned.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been all over twitter this morning.  Everyone needs to do the same.  Once the press gets ahold of it they will hopefully change their stance like Barbados and Bahamas.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Yes, they just changed and I am LIVID.  You can't say one thing and allow people to book and then change your mind....  Final payment for my October cruise in on MONDAY.  My TA is telling us to pay regardless, the policy will change.  I also have my honeymoon (10 years late) booked for March... We have a mixture of adults who are mixed dose.  All 11 of us will have to cancel if it doesn't change.  This whole thing is ridiculous.  Royal should be ashamed as far as I am concerned.

Supposed to cruise in August. We are paid in full.

If this is the case that they have changed the stance on who is classified as fully vaccinated I had better get a refund and not an FCC.

This is not my choice. I booked being told we were fully vaccinated and good to go.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

Supposed to cruise in August. We are paid in full.

If this is the case that they have changed the stance on who is classified as fully vaccinated I had better get a refund and not an FCC.

This is not my choice. I booked being told we were fully vaccinated and good to go.

We were told the same thing when we booked and now apparently at some point yesterday they changed their mind.  So did bahamas but that was quickly overnight taken down from their site.  Apparently barbados has also changed their stance.

 

I'm emailing mbayley@rccl.com as we speak and I think all other Canadians should too.  We did exactly what our health officials told us to do and we should not be penalized for doing the right thing and getting vaccinated as quickly as possible.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

We were told the same thing when we booked and now apparently at some point yesterday they changed their mind.  So did bahamas but that was quickly overnight taken down from their site.  Apparently barbados has also changed their stance.

 

I'm emailing mbayley@rccl.com as we speak and I think all other Canadians should too.  We did exactly what our health officials told us to do and we should not be penalized for doing the right thing and getting vaccinated as quickly as possible.

I can understand the anger and frustration, but this wasn't a decision made by cruise lines, it was the result of a CDC reminder that mixed vaccinations are not recognized by the US nor the WHO. Writing to CEO Bayley might get it off your chest but will have no effect. Writing to your MP has a better chance of bringing about change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I can understand the anger and frustration, but this wasn't a decision made by cruise lines, it was the result of a CDC reminder that mixed vaccinations are not recognized by the US nor the WHO. Writing to CEO Bayley might get it off your chest but will have no effect. Writing to your MP has a better chance of bringing about change.

 

Since I have AZ/Moderna, which was personal preference based on the UK/Spanish trials and the WHO's Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE). In June 15th, their latest posting on the mRNA vaccine included a section on "Interchangeability with other vaccines".

 

While WHO currently recommend not mixing, I do not agree that the WHO is not recognising mixed vaccines.  SAGE states "At this time" they currently recommend using the same product for dose 1 and 2. However, they address that where mixed vaccines are given, NO additional dose of either vaccine is recommended, at this time. They recognise the interim results of the ongoing studies and state their recommendations may be updated, as further results are received.

 

The WHO Chief Scientist's response to a reporter's question on Monday was taken out of context by a media organisation, it was later clarified.

 

The WHO clarified "individuals" should not elect to mix vaccines, or get boosters and is currently recommending individuals elect to receive 2 doses from the same manufacturer, in accordance with OEM timeframes. However, they also state we should all follow the recommendations of our local Public Health. Since BC recommends acceptance of mixed doses, at an extended interval between doses,  our Public Health considers me fully vaccinated.

 

With respect to the US CDC requirements. Since their authority is only relevant within US Territorial Waters, if we booked a cruise in the next few months, it would be one of the many that avoid the US CDC jurisdiction.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

 

Since I have AZ/Moderna, which was personal preference based on the UK/Spanish trials and the WHO's Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE). In June 15th, their latest posting on the mRNA vaccine included a section on "Interchangeability with other vaccines".

The situation is a little more complex than this. Even the EU digital green passport does not approve of the AZ vaccine if it was made in India - only that made in the EU. The FCC has requested results of a large trial by AZ which have not yet been provided.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We hope to cruise in November.  I am double pfizered.  My brother is AZ and Moderna.  His receipt after second dose says two doses given and only lists Moderna.  Wonder how they would determine mixed doses.  I don’t think Celebrity agents are going to be asking every passenger.  I hope this gets sorted out soon.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The WHO does accept interchanging of vaccines IF necessary. In Canada is has been necessary. We didn’t have the vaccine supply like the US. We did what we had to. 
 

Regardless though, the note was removed from their site overnight. The one with bold text was from yesterday and the screen shot dated 9:05 was from today. 

F8902F82-8EE1-4ACF-A057-85937F1AB0B9.png

ECBCC2D2-8747-47E2-8A3B-E2A682F871E2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

We hope to cruise in November.  I am double pfizered.  My brother is AZ and Moderna.  His receipt after second dose says two doses given and only lists Moderna.  Wonder how they would determine mixed doses.  I don’t think Celebrity agents are going to be asking every passenger.  I hope this gets sorted out soon.  

This is something else I’ve been considering from something someone else said. Do we need both slips when the last one indicates we received two doses?  If not, the indication on the second slip is both my vaccines were moderna. But I don’t like playing games. Especially when I am, in fact, fully vaccinated. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

This is something else I’ve been considering from something someone else said. Do we need both slips when the last one indicates we received two doses?  If not, the indication on the second slip is both my vaccines were moderna. But I don’t like playing games. Especially when I am, in fact, fully vaccinated. 

Agree fully.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

 

Since I have AZ/Moderna, which was personal preference based on the UK/Spanish trials and the WHO's Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE). In June 15th, their latest posting on the mRNA vaccine included a section on "Interchangeability with other vaccines".

 

While WHO currently recommend not mixing, I do not agree that the WHO is not recognising mixed vaccines.  SAGE states "At this time" they currently recommend using the same product for dose 1 and 2. However, they address that where mixed vaccines are given, NO additional dose of either vaccine is recommended, at this time. They recognise the interim results of the ongoing studies and state their recommendations may be updated, as further results are received.

 

The WHO Chief Scientist's response to a reporter's question on Monday was taken out of context by a media organisation, it was later clarified.

 

The WHO clarified "individuals" should not elect to mix vaccines, or get boosters and is currently recommending individuals elect to receive 2 doses from the same manufacturer, in accordance with OEM timeframes. However, they also state we should all follow the recommendations of our local Public Health. Since BC recommends acceptance of mixed doses, at an extended interval between doses,  our Public Health considers me fully vaccinated.

 

With respect to the US CDC requirements. Since their authority is only relevant within US Territorial Waters, if we booked a cruise in the next few months, it would be one of the many that avoid the US CDC jurisdiction.

 

At the end of the day, the CDC bases its direction to the cruise lines on the lists of vaccines approved by the FDA and the WHO. Currently, neither has approved a 2 vaccine combination. Until such time as there are proper trials run on combinations and approvals forthcoming, neither the CDC nor the cruise lines are going to accept them. The GOC can exert pressure on the WHO to bring about change, so as I said in my earlier post, if you want to make a difference, write to your MP, not your cruise line.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

The WHO does accept interchanging of vaccines IF necessary. In Canada is has been necessary. We didn’t have the vaccine supply like the US. We did what we had to. 
 

Regardless though, the note was removed from their site overnight. The one with bold text was from yesterday and the screen shot dated 9:05 was from today. 

F8902F82-8EE1-4ACF-A057-85937F1AB0B9.png

ECBCC2D2-8747-47E2-8A3B-E2A682F871E2.png

 

Presumably the altered wording allows for  a  certificate such as the second dose one available from Health Ontario to be used under (1).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises Nov 29th at 3 p.m. EST
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Holland America Line’s Black Friday Sale
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...