Jump to content

Mixed Vaccines


MaddyandMax
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, tert333 said:

Mixed Vaccines are going to be accepted in the UK starting October 4!

 

From 4am Monday 4 October, if you have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days:

  • under an approved vaccination program in the UK, Europe, US or UK vaccine programme overseas
  • with a full course of the Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna or Janssen vaccines from a relevant public health body in Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Dominica, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea or Taiwan – mixing between two-dose vaccines (Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna) in this list is also recognised

 

This is actually the first hopeful news I've seen on the mixing of vaccines. If they are recognizing it then perhaps the CDC will follow suit at some point. Hopefully before my PIF date in December so I can decide if I'll be able to cruise or not 😄

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The wording is so confusing...  for instance, this is from NCL's website...

 

"To be fully vaccinated means to complete the full brand vaccination protocol, and therefore one single shot of AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Sinopharm or Sinovac after Covid-19 recovery is NOT considered being fully vaccinated."

 

Because if we were to follow "vaccination protocol" then we are not considered full vaccinated if we didn't get the second dose within 4 weeks of the first, right?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RCL group will allow mix of Pfizer and Moderna now 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/09/20/celebrity-cruises-will-now-accept-mixed-combination-of-mrna-covid-19-vaccines?fbclid=IwAR31-eFSV9kpkM-E5WcFGHMRVGxfBFMV1e05yRQuI3kexHVOX380zOsC7gA
and from Royal website 

For Cruises Departing from U.S. Ports 

The U.S. CDC has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided updated guidance to Royal Caribbean.

For sailings departing from the U.S., the CDC will now recognize a mixed series of mRNA vaccines (e.g., 1 shot of Pfizer with 1 shot of Moderna, in any order) as fully vaccinated. The doses must be administered a minimum of 28 days apart. The guest will be considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the final dose. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Yes! Unfortunately I still have to cancel my October cruise because of the border.  But I'm much more hopeful now for March!

Because of the border? Unless you were planning on driving to your port of embarkation, the border shouldn't pose a problem. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Because of the border? Unless you were planning on driving to your port of embarkation, the border shouldn't pose a problem. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.

That's exactly the issue.  We weren't flying and don't want to fly.  Too expensive for our large group.  We were cruising out of Newark.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It's encouraging to see these changes, and to see that Celebrity is continuing to encourage the CDC to reevaluate mixed AZ-mRNA vaccinations.

I’m hoping this will happen by November, given the US reopening to international travelers. Many Europeans will be mixed with AZ or just AZ.
 

However, I don’t want to rely on hope. My wife and I are flying to Italy in a couple of weeks. If we are able, we will find a third dose to ensure we’re covered for our December cruises from the US. We had AZ/Moderna. So, with the recent RCL change, it seems either Pfizer or Moderna will do the trick, even with a long gap between doses. J&J would be even simpler, but if booster shots are required in future, even that might be no guarantee. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

That's exactly the issue.  We weren't flying and don't want to fly.  Too expensive for our large group.  We were cruising out of Newark.

 

 

OK, perfectly understandable. With an October cruise date and the Canada-New England cruises not running this year, I was thinking Florida and a very long drive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have the November 6 2021 Reflection booked. 2 cabins. My husband and I are fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca so good. My sister and her husband are second cabin. She is fully vaccinated AstraZeneca but her husband is AZ/Pfizer. Was hoping for travel this would be sorted or Ontario would allow a third dose. Still hoping but that hope is fading. There was so much attention earlier that people doing the right thing would not be hindered with travel.  Still waiting to hear if CDC will alter their stance with allowing vaccinated international travel early November. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Princess Fi said:

We have the November 6 2021 Reflection booked. 2 cabins. My husband and I are fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca so good. My sister and her husband are second cabin. She is fully vaccinated AstraZeneca but her husband is AZ/Pfizer. Was hoping for travel this would be sorted or Ontario would allow a third dose. Still hoping but that hope is fading. There was so much attention earlier that people doing the right thing would not be hindered with travel.  Still waiting to hear if CDC will alter their stance with allowing vaccinated international travel early November. 

I've got my fingers crossed for you.  All my conversations with Royal regarding my pfizer/moderna mix made it seem like they wouldn't be changing their stance any time soon and they did.

 

Every day information is being released that they won't be able to ignore much longer.  Everything I have read shows that Astrazenca mixed with an mRNA produces a very good immune response.

 

🤞

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The update to the UK policy of accepting mixed doses of vaccines including AZ/mRNA is very encouraging especially considering the US lifting the travel ban in November.  Beginning in November all foreign travelers to the US must be fully vaccinated and have a Covid test within 72 hours of arrival.

 

The CDC will be updating their guidance on fully vaccinated status prior to November.  Since the CDC has already recognized the people with mixed mRNA vaccines are fully vaccinated I don't see recognizing AZ/mRNA that much of a stretch.  Given the travel ban was lifted to mainly allow EU citizens to travel to the US not recognizing AZ/mRNA would potentially exclude 68 million people who have received AZ with many of those having a mixed dose. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know Silversea’s policy on mixed vaccines for South America departures? I’m also curious about people who mixed Covishield with Pfizer or Moderna? We have friends with this combo , they would like to join but are afraid. The only thing I can find is they accept vaccines that are WHO approved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, LMocci said:

Does anyone know Silversea’s policy on mixed vaccines for South America departures? I’m also curious about people who mixed Covishield with Pfizer or Moderna? We have friends with this combo , they would like to join but are afraid. The only thing I can find is they accept vaccines that are WHO approved.

Best to phone , Silverseas is part of the RCL group , so they probably will let mixing of vaccines 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

We have the November 6 2021 Reflection booked. 2 cabins. My husband and I are fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca so good. My sister and her husband are second cabin. She is fully vaccinated AstraZeneca but her husband is AZ/Pfizer. Was hoping for travel this would be sorted or Ontario would allow a third dose. Still hoping but that hope is fading. There was so much attention earlier that people doing the right thing would not be hindered with travel.  Still waiting to hear if CDC will alter their stance with allowing vaccinated international travel early November. 


He should fly to Buffalo for a weekend, go into any Walmart or drug store and get a booster Pfizer.  Get an antigen at Shoppers pre-flight to get into the US and a Rapid ID Now at Walgreens to get back into Canada.  A bit of a pain, but less painful than cancelling the cruise when he’s the only one of the travel party with issues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:


He should fly to Buffalo for a weekend, go into any Walmart or drug store and get a booster Pfizer.  Get an antigen at Shoppers pre-flight to get into the US and a Rapid ID Now at Walgreens to get back into Canada.  A bit of a pain, but less painful than cancelling the cruise when he’s the only one of the travel party with issues.

Had investigated flying to Alberta to get a third dose as cheap flights on Swoop or Flair and direct flights but Alberta is a disaster right now. I believe a PCR test is required to enter Canada and that cost is more than flights return to Alberta. Still holding out and will see. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Princess Fi said:

Had investigated flying to Alberta to get a third dose as cheap flights on Swoop or Flair and direct flights but Alberta is a disaster right now. I believe a PCR test is required to enter Canada and that cost is more than flights return to Alberta. Still holding out and will see. 


Nope.  The free Walgreens Rapid ID Now test works just fine to get back into Canada.  We’ve used it a few times for our return from WDW trips.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really giving this a long look. I'm in Toronto, have the Astra/Pfizer dose combo. I don't honestly believe the mixed dose scenario will play out as acceptable in the USA. Just can't see it happening.

I don't see Ontario going to a third dose anytime in the near future for those under 65.

The dilemma is do I fly away for a weekend in the US and if so where? Also how easy will it be to get a dose of pfizer?  Anyone do this already from the Toronto area?

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TurkB said:

Really giving this a long look. I'm in Toronto, have the Astra/Pfizer dose combo. I don't honestly believe the mixed dose scenario will play out as acceptable in the USA. Just can't see it happening.

I don't see Ontario going to a third dose anytime in the near future for those under 65.

The dilemma is do I fly away for a weekend in the US and if so where? Also how easy will it be to get a dose of pfizer?  Anyone do this already from the Toronto area?

 

 

 

We're looking at a quick trip to Quebec to get the third dose.  A little complicated but possible.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

We're looking at a quick trip to Quebec to get the third dose.  A little complicated but possible.

The other option is to go to the east coast.  You can get a vaccine there.  There are cheap flights there using .  AC was price matching for awhile.  Not sure they are still doing it...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TurkB said:

Really giving this a long look. I'm in Toronto, have the Astra/Pfizer dose combo. I don't honestly believe the mixed dose scenario will play out as acceptable in the USA. Just can't see it happening.

I don't see Ontario going to a third dose anytime in the near future for those under 65.

The dilemma is do I fly away for a weekend in the US and if so where? Also how easy will it be to get a dose of pfizer?  Anyone do this already from the Toronto area?

 

 

 

We did.  That’s why I’m suggesting it, because it was just so easy.  We got our dose two in Orlando on a trip to Disney in June because we were worried about the delay and the mixed Pfizer/Moderna shots that were being done in our area at the time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Norwegian has finally added the WHO recommendations that includes mixed vaccines. Their FAQs have been updated. For arrivals or departures from US ports they accept mixed mRNA vaccines Moderna and Pfizer-Biontech. For non-US ports mixed doses include Astra-Zeneca-Oxford and mRNA.  It looks as though Canadians with AZ will have to wait a bit because our AZ supply actually came from the US stockpile before Canada withdrew approval. So it has to be good for other countries. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had written to the Ontario Ministry of Health and finally got a reply:

 

Thank you for your email to the Honourable Christine Elliott, Minster of Health, regarding third doses for travel.

 

All the vaccines approved by Health Canada are safe and of excellent quality, and will reduce the risk of infection, hospitalization and death.  Ontarians who received two doses of any vaccine offered in the province are considered to be fully immunized and have strong protection against COVID-19 infection and severe outcomes, including against the Delta variant.

 

The Ontario government has no plans to offer a new vaccine series to individuals requesting an alternate vaccine for travel-related purposes; however, we will continue to monitor other countries’ vaccination requirements for international travellers and will revisit this decision, if necessary.

 

Many countries are currently developing their own travel related approaches. Each country will decide which vaccines and combinations meet their entry requirements. The province is working with the federal, provincial and territorial leaders to ensure we have a consistent approach to how Canada reopens the border safely.

 

As the federal government opens international travel, the Ontario government is advocating for the federal government to ensure that all fully vaccinated Ontarians will be able to travel internationally.

 

The Ontario government has asked the Government of Canada to:

 

  • Work with jurisdictions such as the United States, the European Union, and others to consider Ontarians who received two doses of any vaccine schedule offered in the province as ‘fully immunized,’ both at international borders and in their activities within those jurisdictions

  • Work with the World Health Organization (WHO) to update its guidance to international partners that mixing vaccines should be internationally accepted as a complete vaccine regimen

 

This includes both AstraZeneca and AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, as well as a mix of any two Health Canada-approved vaccines.

The province is working with the federal government, who is leading efforts to implement a vaccine credential to support international travel.  More information on vaccine credentials for international travel will be available in the coming months.

We encourage you to contact the Government of Canada to ensure they are aware of your suggestions and are able to take them into consideration as they continue to plan and implement a strategy on immunization credentials for Canadians.

 

Sincerely,

Correspondence and Corporate Support

Ministry of Health

Correspondance et soutien ministériel

Ministère de la Santé

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...