Mixed Vaccines

MaddyandMax

On 10/4/2021 at 9:52 PM, armwinder said:

I am still not sure if the US will accept a Pfizer/Moderna mix  The CDC state the mix is acceptable under  "exceptional situations," such as when the vaccine used for the first dose was no longer available.  Not sure if this is the norm or the  boarder guards looks at it on a one on one basis. Like to know if anyone has crossed the border lately with a mRNA mix. 

I contacted the US CDC directly to ask about the Pfizer/Moderna mix, and the reply is that the mix is still not recognized as being fully vaccinated. I'm hoping this changes, or I can get another dose before having to make my final cruise payment in November. My kids in Alberta are Az/Pfizer and they've received a 3rd dose already. Here in BC we are in limbo waiting for Dr Henry to make up her mind on a 3 rd dose for any of us with a mix. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikenbon said:

I contacted the US CDC directly to ask about the Pfizer/Moderna mix, and the reply is that the mix is still not recognized as being fully vaccinated. I'm hoping this changes, or I can get another dose before having to make my final cruise payment in November. My kids in Alberta are Az/Pfizer and they've received a 3rd dose already. Here in BC we are in limbo waiting for Dr Henry to make up her mind on a 3 rd dose for any of us with a mix. 

When did you make this contact and how? I ask because at least one post exists in the Canadian section that quotes a CDC email which explicitly states that those with mixed mRNA vaccinations are considered fully vaccinated. Also see https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html

"... If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

CDC has accepted mixed mRNA vaccinations for several months. There is no reason to suspect that it might reverse this policy.

However some cruise lines have been rather slow in adopting the CDC finding.

I contacted the US CDC, last week, and they confirmed that they do not recognize the mix as being fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

I contacted the US CDC, last week, and they confirmed that they do not recognize the mix as being fully vaccinated. 

Do you have an email response? Because the website clearly indicates otherwise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, broberts said:

When did you make this contact and how? I ask because at least one post exists in the Canadian section that quotes a CDC email which explicitly states that those with mixed mRNA vaccinations are considered fully vaccinated. Also see https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html

"... If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine."

I emailed on Thursday, because I understood your quote as being correct, but the reply I received said it isn't accepted as being fully vaccinated.  I guess we just wait and see what announcements will be forthcoming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikenbon said:

I emailed on Thursday, because I understood your quote as being correct, but the reply I received said it isn't accepted as being fully vaccinated.  I guess we just wait and see what announcements will be forthcoming.

Bugger!  ☹️

Edited by broberts

1 hour ago, mikenbon said:

Not sure what line you're on, but this is Royal/Celebrity's wording, which is pretty clear on a mixed Pfizer/Moderna being OK:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided Celebrity Cruises with updated guidance. For sailings departing from the US, the CDC will now recognize a mixed combination of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) as fully vaccinated.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scottbee said:

Not sure what line you're on, but this is Royal/Celebrity's wording, which is pretty clear on a mixed Pfizer/Moderna being OK:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided Celebrity Cruises with updated guidance. For sailings departing from the US, the CDC will now recognize a mixed combination of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) as fully vaccinated.

I'm cruising on Carnival, and they also accept the mix. My concern is that I may not be allowed to fly into the states from Canada,  if the US mandates that only fully vaccinated travellers may fly into the states. There's speculation of an announcement about this coming later this month. Right now, they don't recognize the mix of mRNA vaccines as being fully vaccinated. This was confirmed in an email on Thursday from the US CDC. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

I'm cruising on Carnival, and they also accept the mix. My concern is that I may not be allowed to fly into the states from Canada,  if the US mandates that only fully vaccinated travellers may fly into the states. There's speculation of an announcement about this coming later this month. Right now, they don't recognize the mix of mRNA vaccines as being fully vaccinated. This was confirmed in an email on Thursday from the US CDC. 

Given the guidance that the CDC are giving the cruise lines is that an mRNA mix is OK.
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations..."  

I think you'll be OK.  What we need is a proper announcement from the CDC

9 hours ago, Froufie said:

So my Ontario Ministry of Health proof of vaccination states I have received 2 valid doses of:  AstraZeneca Covid 19 Vaccine - but does not say which 'type' it is?  Will this be a problem?  Will they just ask me which type?  Most confusing!

The ones that you download from the Ministry do show it. My first vaccine was Covishield and the second Astra Zeneca. That shows on the respective receipt. The second one shows 2 valid doses of Astra Zeneca. You should always carry both receipts. Those that are worried about mixed doses will ask for both. (I just got back from BC and Alberta; while I had to show vaccination all over the place, they only looked at the second receipt, but then Canada is not worried about mixed vaccinations.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Froufie said:

So my Ontario Ministry of Health proof of vaccination states I have received 2 valid doses of:  AstraZeneca Covid 19 Vaccine - but does not say which 'type' it is?  Will this be a problem?  Will they just ask me which type?  Most confusing!

If your OMH documents say AstraZeneca for both doses, you are good to go.

The CDC had been accepting mix mRNA vaccines since January. This is way before Canada even decided that mix vaccines are ok.  Lately, every cruise line that wasn’t accepting mix mRNA changed their policy to accept these mix because “the CDC will now recognize a mixed series of mRNA vaccines as fully vaccinated”.  

Why would the CDC suddenly change their policy with releasing/updating their website first? I find that really odd.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, draved said:

The CDC had been accepting mix mRNA vaccines since January. This is way before Canada even decided that mix vaccines are ok.  Lately, every cruise line that wasn’t accepting mix mRNA changed their policy to accept these mix because “the CDC will now recognize a mixed series of mRNA vaccines as fully vaccinated”.  

Why would the CDC suddenly change their policy with releasing/updating their website first? I find that really odd.  

The reason is; that the CDC approval of mixed vaccines is basically a footnote;

Using the above strategies, every effort should be made to determine which vaccine product was received as the first dose to ensure completion of the vaccine series with the same product. In exceptional situations in which the mRNA vaccine product given for the first dose cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series. In situations where the same mRNA vaccine product is temporarily unavailable, it is preferable to delay the second dose to receive the same product than to receive a mixed series using a different product. If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If your OMH documents say AstraZeneca for both doses, you are good to go.

Just ONE document - listing 2 valid doses/dates and AstraZeneca.

This is what (part of) my document looks like/says:

Date/Date: 2021-06-06, 12:39 p.m.

Agent/Agent: COVID-19 Non-rep VV

Product Name/Nom du produit: ASTRAZENECA COVID-19 VACCINE

Diluent Product: Not Applicable / Ne s’applique pas Lot/Lot: ABX3120
Dosage/Dosage: 0.5 ml
Route/Voie: Intramuscular / intramusculaire Site/Site: Left deltoid / deltoïde gauche

You have received 2 valid dose(s) / Vous avez reçu 2 dose(s) valide(s)

I have a friend who got AZ then Pfizer - her OMH documents says 2 valid doses/date and ONLY PFIZER is mentioned on the document -under 'product name' -  no mention that she actually received mixed vaccines???  If this document is acceptable sounds like she could 'technically' cruise with no one knowing about the mixed vaccines?  Very strange!

Edited by Froufie

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

The ones that you download from the Ministry do show it. My first vaccine was Covishield and the second Astra Zeneca. That shows on the respective receipt. The second one shows 2 valid doses of Astra Zeneca. You should always carry both receipts. Those that are worried about mixed doses will ask for both. (I just got back from BC and Alberta; while I had to show vaccination all over the place, they only looked at the second receipt, but then Canada is not worried about mixed vaccinations.)

This is what my 'OMH document' looks like/says:  

Route/Voie: Intramuscular / intramusculaire Site/Site: Left deltoid / deltoïde gauche

I have been using this as proof of vaccination where required here at home and have been told (by a travel agent - just off of Celebrity) - that was the proof required and accepted??

44 minutes ago, Froufie said:

I have a friend who got AZ then Pfizer - her OMH documents says 2 valid doses/date and ONLY PFIZER is mentioned on the document -under 'product name' -  no mention that she actually received mixed vaccines???  If this document is acceptable sounds like she could 'technically' cruise with no one knowing about the mixed vaccines?  Very strange!

You actually have 2 separate receipts available on the Ontario Ministry of Health website. One is for the first dose, and one is for the second. If someone (a cruise line for example) is concerned about EACH dose, then you need BOTH receipts. My first dose lists Product as COVID-19 COVISHIELD. My second shows ASTRAZENECA COVID-19 VACCINE, and shows the "You have received 2 valid dose(s)" message. If I have to show both, it could be a problem in some locations, but more and more are accepting COVISHIELD.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

There are three different documents that DW and I have received. After our first shots, we were given no paper work but before we even exited the vaccination site had received emails with a Ministry of Health PDF with the relevant details, including the vaccine, in our case Moderna.

Following our second shots, we received a printed document about the size of a closed passport at the vaccination site. It states that we received a Moderna vaccination, and we had now received two valid doses, but doesn't indicate what the first dose was.

The third document, or more accurately, third and fourth, are PDFs downloaded from the MOH website that are identical in format to the first shot PDFs, but now with MOH watermarks. There are two, one for each shot received.

As the second shot document provides no details for the first shot, I wouldn't think of appearing at check in without both documents. While the "fully documented" statement is quite acceptable as proof in Canada, in the US that is unlikely to be accepted.

If you only have the second shot document, simply head to the MOH website and download one or both of your docs. I suggest both to ensure that they have the same format, thus avoiding potential questions as to why they are different.

24 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There are three different documents that DW and I have received. After our first shots, we were given no paper work but before we even exited the vaccination site had received emails with a Ministry of Health PDF with the relevant details, including the vaccine, in our case Moderna.

Following our second shots, we received a printed document about the size of a closed passport at the vaccination site. It states that we received a Moderna vaccination, and we had now received two valid doses, but doesn't indicate what the first dose was.

The third document, or more accurately, third and fourth, are PDFs downloaded from the MOH website that are identical in format to the first shot PDFs, but now with MOH watermarks. There are two, one for each shot received.

As the second shot document provides no details for the first shot, I wouldn't think of appearing at check in without both documents. While the "fully documented" statement is quite acceptable as proof in Canada, in the US that is unlikely to be accepted.

If you only have the second shot document, simply head to the MOH website and download one or both of your docs. I suggest both to ensure that they have the same format, thus avoiding potential questions as to why they are different.

Thanks again - and as mentioned I am reading about recent cruisers only using the one OMH document listing the two valid doses and dates - indicating fully vaccinated status - and being able to board with that (Even travel agent Don used this as well for Celebrity).  Wonder if that has changed now?

Edited by Froufie

57 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Thanks again - and as mentioned I am reading about recent cruisers only using the one OMH document listing the two valid doses and dates - indicating fully vaccinated status - and being able to board with that (Even travel agent Don used this as well for Celebrity).  Wonder if that has changed now?

I suspect that, in most cases, just the second shot receipt might suffice. But why take a chance, when printing and carrying proof of the first vaccination too is so quick and easy? Personally, even though the level of risk for being rejected at check in is low, it's just not something I'm willing to risk when there's such an easy solution. But that's just my comfort level, and others may not worry about being unable to prove that their "fully vaccinated" status meets Celebrity's stated requirements.

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I suspect that, in most cases, just the second shot receipt might suffice. But why take a chance, when printing and carrying proof of the first vaccination too is so quick and easy? Personally, even though the level of risk for being rejected at check in is low, it's just not something I'm willing to risk when there's such an easy solution. But that's just my comfort level, and others may not worry about being unable to prove that their "fully vaccinated" status meets Celebrity's stated requirements.

I'm with you.  I printed my first vaccination record and fed the sheet face up into the printer and printed the second record on the other side of the page.  Keeps both vaccination records together without the need of a stapler!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'm with you.  I printed my first vaccination record and fed the sheet face up into the printer and printed the second record on the other side of the page.  Keeps both vaccination records together without the need of a stapler!

Great idea. I was considering shrinking each and putting them side by side with a landscape printing, but double sided is quicker and easier.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Great idea. I was considering shrinking each and putting them side by side with a landscape printing, but double sided is quicker and easier.

For those from Ontario:

Another idea I saw was to also scan a copy of your identification and put it on the same side as your 2nd dose.

When you have to show your proof of vaccine and ID it's way easier to have it all on one page, laminated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Froufie said:

The problem is that the one document does NOT list both dates, and that is frequently what they are looking for.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mikenbon said:

Strange! I think I've posted this before in this forum but this is my experience with the CDC.

I emailed CDC back on August 20th explaining that we were Pfizer/Moderna mixed and also gave them the dates of each shot.  I received a lengthy email back but the main point was that WE ARE considered fully vaccinated.  I can post the entire email if you like but here's the part that answered my question. 

"If you do not remember which COVID-19 vaccine you received as your first dose, check the information on your vaccination record card. If you cannot find your card, please contact your vaccination provider. COVID-19 vaccination providers must document which vaccine you received in their medical record systems and the jurisdiction's immunization reporting system.

If you end up receiving doses of two different COVID-19 vaccines, then you are considered fully immunized and don't need any additional vaccinations."