Jump to content

New Origin/Galapagos: June/July Reports/Details??


TLCOhio
 Share

Recommended Posts

Have good friends from here in Central Ohio who are getting ready on Aug. 7 to do their first sailing with Silversea.  Previously, they have just done larger, more mass-market sailings.  BUT, both of them are very experienced with a wide, wide range of international adventures.   I have warned them about getting totally spoiled and loving these smaller, more personal experiences by sailing with Silversea.  They will be on the new Silver Origin and I am seeking any feed-back, tips, secrets, suggestions, etc., to share with my friends about this ship, the Galapagos, etc.  Anybody been on these pioneering June and July sailings on the Silver Origin?

 

For their early August sailing, this ship will be at only 75% capacity.  That will be nice with only 70-75 passengers on this new and spacious ship.  I have shared about the opportunities to do special order dining delights, using the Butler, how the staff likes to please and soar for customer needs/interests, etc.  

 

How did these initial sailings on the Origin go in June and July?  Any hiccups?  How was the staff, including the folks leading the land and sea excursions?  Food quality and variety?  Any special, most-loved dining treats?  Mix of passengers?  Most from U.S.?  Or, a wider, UK, Europe, international mix?  Age groups most there for these sailings, older, younger, more mixed?  What most loved experience and most surprising?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terry, 

 

There is a fellow on board right now that posts pics with little to no commentary and doesn’t answer most questions.  Also, most pics are of the landscape, not of the ship.  
 

I’ve attached three suite pics for your review.  
CBF3D139-7174-4D9B-BF8B-20DFA67D2E3E.jpeg.5403dd804c542814614750f924dc2623.jpeg

 

The new indoor balcony seems really, really odd to me.

 

A3DF8830-295B-49E6-9A5E-F76B913DC98C.jpeg.bf1215e94b407978f1f4503e0c29c8bf.jpeg

 

3544C22C-B7F7-49A0-AC37-E4FC560F3CE8.jpeg.51507f1210729f7203b3cacd19976b82.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Why is that sofa facing a bottle of fizz and a sink unit?

It’s the new “Horizon Balcony” that’s in Veranda Suites, I believe.  The same setup is shown on Silversea’s website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone has posted a bad review from the first voyage. I found it here>>> Silver Origin Cruise Ship: Review, Photos & Departure Ports on Cruise Critic. I don't think it is every great to go on the "first voyage" on a brand new ship, and especially during a pandemic. Someone posted more favorable comments on the Facebook Silversea Passengers Group. We are going in December. Hopefully they work out the kinks by then. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are right!  First voyage, new ship that was delivered year before.  From what I see after that first sailing gets better each time!  Cruise critic does not seem to have as many comments/reviews for Origin.  Smaller ship, fewer guests.  We are so looking forward to our August sailing!  Will let you know.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, RachelG said:

We will be onboard Aug 27.  So too late to answer questions for your friends, but I too am very curious about how things are going so far.  

 

Appreciate ALL of these various comments, posting and follow-ups.  Keep it coming!! Is there any way to access that private Facebook passenger thread without needing to go through all of the "hoops" connected with FB?

 

For RachelG, I will do a de-briefing of my Central Ohio friends after they complete their Aug. 8 Galapagos sailing on the Silver Origin.  Then, I will try to share here some of their impressions, insights, etc.  

 

Agree that the sink across from the sofa seems a little "different" and/or strange.  Sorry to hear that the initial Origin has some challenges.  BUT, as noted, that is to be expected.  It takes some time to get things organized and running smoothly.   

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,619 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Is there any way to access that private Facebook passenger thread without needing to go through all of the "hoops" connected with FB?

No.  You not only must be a user of Facebook, but ALSO a member of the private Silversea Passengers group.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Food pics from a passenger on board Silver Origin tonight.

 

First Course: Octopus Carpaccio

C2D8EC40-6EBC-4CDE-B2DF-DA7D61CFF6AF.thumb.jpeg.1bfe75e2682abb273f80acc989830d65.jpeg

 

Second Course: Pansanella Salad

D76BF830-5B94-491B-A405-BB2A6D502B5C.thumb.jpeg.7c568c8fafdff09f8df63c2e440b8795.jpeg

 

Third Course: Ecuadorian Prawns w/Risotto 

CCCF822E-70BF-461E-9A72-4B7D4F4CDF59.thumb.jpeg.250d5ddd97b5392ee178536e4c70945b.jpeg

 

Fourth Course: Tiramisu 

BD30B2AE-D694-411F-B144-8C11C925CB9C.thumb.jpeg.1af1ded7fe34924324c5a123d5af150d.jpeg
 

Does anyone else think the food seems lost in the monster plates?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Food pics from a passenger on board Silver Origin tonight.

 

First Course: Octopus Carpaccio

C2D8EC40-6EBC-4CDE-B2DF-DA7D61CFF6AF.thumb.jpeg.1bfe75e2682abb273f80acc989830d65.jpeg

 

Second Course: Pansanella Salad

D76BF830-5B94-491B-A405-BB2A6D502B5C.thumb.jpeg.7c568c8fafdff09f8df63c2e440b8795.jpeg

 

Third Course: Ecuadorian Prawns w/Risotto 

CCCF822E-70BF-461E-9A72-4B7D4F4CDF59.thumb.jpeg.250d5ddd97b5392ee178536e4c70945b.jpeg

 

Fourth Course: Tiramisu 

BD30B2AE-D694-411F-B144-8C11C925CB9C.thumb.jpeg.1af1ded7fe34924324c5a123d5af150d.jpeg
 

Does anyone else think the food seems lost in the monster plates?

 

Well, might possibly be useful if you're a messy eater; apart from that it looks really quite unbalanced and not attractive.

And I bet those monster platters aren't even hot, so the food will be cold even if it was meant to be hot. That's a failure of 'fine cuisine' in my opinion.

 

PS Am I the only one who thought that one of the salads in Atlantide on the Muse which was served perched around the rim of a huge shallow bowl-type platter was utterly ridiculous? First thing I always did was to push it all down into the centre of the platter. Even when I was dining with David B. He had the grace not to look too pained about that.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

 

Well, might possibly be useful if you're a messy eater; apart from that it looks really quite unbalanced and not attractive.

And I bet those monster platters aren't even hot, so the food will be cold even if it was meant to be hot. That's a failure of 'fine cuisine' in my opinion.

 

PS Am I the only one who thought that one of the salads in Atlantide on the Muse which was served perched around the rim of a huge shallow bowl-type platter was utterly ridiculous? First thing I always did was to push it all down into the centre of the platter. Even when I was dining with David B. He had the grace not to look too pained about that.

Jolly wasn’t that salad called farm something or other??? DH just had a salad in Atlantide called mushroom something, he called it a mushroom wreath. And yes, it was all on the edge of the plate.

Did look like a wreath, and he did push it all to the center of the dish, to the vacant space. Hahahahaha.

He devoured it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hi Spins,

The first thing I thought of when I saw the salad round the edge of the plate was WHY?

The second was whose fingers had put it all there? Couldn't have been done with tongs.

 

PS You led the charge to abandon ship - the Dawn - not a sinking ship but an unsunk, ie unbuilt, ship. Sorry not to see you all or be on the new ship, but I do prefer my ships built.

 

PPS OP, sorry, got a bit off topic.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Menu

 

Appreciate these continued, helpful comments and follow-ups.  Keep it coming!!  Very interesting.  Have shared the Silver Origin menu with our Central Ohio friends.  For me, I would be challenged by the choice in picking between the Osso Buco versus the Ecuadorian Prawns with seafood risotto.  Rough, but fun choice??!!??  Can't loose either way!!  Maybe do both?

 

Have a couple of follow-up questions.  DRESS/Clothing requirements?  Apparently in flying to the Galapagos, you are limited to just one suit case per person.  What are the dress codes for these type of expedition cruises?  Any formal nights?  Required to have a sport coat in the dining room on certain or all nights?

 

UNDERWATER Sights/Options?  Is having a decent underwater camera for this sailing in the Galapagos nice to have?  Not as important?  Or, an absolute must-have?  Know this is not the Great Barrier Reef, but how good are the underwater sights in doing the Galapagos?

 

Am I correct that for doing sailing in the Galapagos, that there will be many very good Ecuadorian seafood options, but that the quality of the beef and some other traditional items might be a little more limited?  What are the most loved and unique Ecuadorian dining options to try and experience?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog on the Silver Cloud. At 51,497 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jollyjones said:

And I bet those monster platters aren't even hot, so the food will be cold even if it was meant to be hot. That's a failure of 'fine cuisine' in my opinion.

That was my first thought… someone in purchasing needs to source some small Ecuadorian plates for a better presentation of the menu’s dishes.  The monster platters just look out of place, and don’t showcase the food, in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Apparently in flying to the Galapagos, you are limited to just one suit case per person.  What are the dress codes for these type of expedition cruises?  Any formal nights?  Required to have a sport coat in the dining room on certain or all nights?

 

These are expedition cruises. No formal nights, and jackets not required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Food pics from a passenger on board Silver Origin tonight.

 

First Course: Octopus Carpaccio

C2D8EC40-6EBC-4CDE-B2DF-DA7D61CFF6AF.thumb.jpeg.1bfe75e2682abb273f80acc989830d65.jpeg

 

Second Course: Pansanella Salad

D76BF830-5B94-491B-A405-BB2A6D502B5C.thumb.jpeg.7c568c8fafdff09f8df63c2e440b8795.jpeg

 

Third Course: Ecuadorian Prawns w/Risotto 

CCCF822E-70BF-461E-9A72-4B7D4F4CDF59.thumb.jpeg.250d5ddd97b5392ee178536e4c70945b.jpeg

 

Fourth Course: Tiramisu 

BD30B2AE-D694-411F-B144-8C11C925CB9C.thumb.jpeg.1af1ded7fe34924324c5a123d5af150d.jpeg
 

Does anyone else think the food seems lost in the monster plates?

Sorry to go off topic, but are these the typical SS portion sizes? I realize there's no limit on what can be ordered and devoured, and that no one goes hungry despite a comment to the contrary on another thread, but they appear to be a bit skimpy, although as stated the monster plates don't help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

These are expedition cruises. No formal nights, and jackets not required.

 

Great helpful info.  Have shared with our friends here in the Columbus area.  Keep it coming with any and all info, tips, ideas, suggestions, etc.  

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Food pics from a passenger on board Silver Origin tonight.

 

First Course: Octopus Carpaccio

C2D8EC40-6EBC-4CDE-B2DF-DA7D61CFF6AF.thumb.jpeg.1bfe75e2682abb273f80acc989830d65.jpeg

 

Second Course: Pansanella Salad

D76BF830-5B94-491B-A405-BB2A6D502B5C.thumb.jpeg.7c568c8fafdff09f8df63c2e440b8795.jpeg

 

Third Course: Ecuadorian Prawns w/Risotto 

CCCF822E-70BF-461E-9A72-4B7D4F4CDF59.thumb.jpeg.250d5ddd97b5392ee178536e4c70945b.jpeg

 

Fourth Course: Tiramisu 

BD30B2AE-D694-411F-B144-8C11C925CB9C.thumb.jpeg.1af1ded7fe34924324c5a123d5af150d.jpeg
 

Does anyone else think the food seems lost in the monster plates?

I am reminded of a fancy restaurant that my brothers wife insisted we go to with them.  After dinner, on the way home, we stopped for a burger!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

I am reminded of a fancy restaurant that my brothers wife insisted we go to with them.  After dinner, on the way home, we stopped for a burger!

😜 I know what you mean.  Sounds like our meal at the French Laundry, which, by the way, also engaged in silly plating aesthetics, although their interpretation is a tad different:  a big plate with a tiny portion of food and sauce at one of the corners - not in the middle, mind you, that would be too banal and prosaic!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, taxatty said:

Sorry to go off topic, but are these the typical SS portion sizes?

Yes, they are typical for a multi-course meal.  Those pics were from a 7-course meal.

 

Now you understand why I said I needed that chop in my La Terrazza pics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 11:04 AM, TLCOhio said:

Have good friends from here in Central Ohio who are getting ready on Aug. 7 to do their first sailing with Silversea.  Previously, they have just done larger, more mass-market sailings.  BUT, both of them are very experienced with a wide, wide range of international adventures.   I have warned them about getting totally spoiled and loving these smaller, more personal experiences by sailing with Silversea.  They will be on the new Silver Origin and I am seeking any feed-back, tips, secrets, suggestions, etc., to share with my friends about this ship, the Galapagos, etc.  Anybody been on these pioneering June and July sailings on the Silver Origin?

 

For their early August sailing, this ship will be at only 75% capacity.  That will be nice with only 70-75 passengers on this new and spacious ship.  I have shared about the opportunities to do special order dining delights, using the Butler, how the staff likes to please and soar for customer needs/interests, etc.  

 

How did these initial sailings on the Origin go in June and July?  Any hiccups?  How was the staff, including the folks leading the land and sea excursions?  Food quality and variety?  Any special, most-loved dining treats?  Mix of passengers?  Most from U.S.?  Or, a wider, UK, Europe, international mix?  Age groups most there for these sailings, older, younger, more mixed?  What most loved experience and most surprising?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

My hubby and I are sailing on the Origin a week from today (July 24th) so I will be sure to get back to you with our thoughts.  We are very excited and feel so fortunate we are able to travel again.  We have been on Silversea and Seabourn and we love both.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...