Jump to content

Any solo cruisers have been on a cruise since the restart?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Just wondering if any solo cruisers who have been on a cruise since the restart and want to share their experience?

 

Was it harder meeting people than before?

 

I've cruised solo before and none of my friends are ready to go back on a cruise ship yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got back yesterday from a 10 night sailing in Greece😃....the ship normally holds 600 but we only had 200 and so it was pretty easy to meet others but I am one of those folks that doesn't really look for "solos".......if someone is friendly, that is what matters to me.......not their marital status.

They did have protocols in place and yes, it was a bit different than a "normal cruise" but I am very glad I went and had a good time👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, GateGuardian said:

Just wondering if any solo cruisers who have been on a cruise since the restart and want to share their experience?

 

Was it harder meeting people than before?

 

I've cruised solo before and none of my friends are ready to go back on a cruise ship yet. 

The experiences may vary considerably depending on cruise line and destination. How much social distancing is required onboard? Are masks required onboard indoors? What about outdoors? What facilities and events will be available and what won't? All those factors will affect the solo experience.

 

I'm headed to Alaska twice this year, once on NCL and once on Princess. Both cruises are 100% vaccinated, yet I anticipate different experiences.

 

  • NCL has said that there will be no masks and no social distancing onboard, and that all the usual attractions/experiences will be available.
  • Princess has said no masks, but "for now we ask that you avoid handshakes and hugs, and physically distance when socializing with anyone outside your travel party." Also, "shared experiences and larger group events including indoor dancing, nightclubs, karaoke and singing groups, The Voice of the Ocean, behind-the-scenes tours, Captain’s Champagne Waterfall, and group renewal of vows will not be available during these cruises, with the exception of select instructor-led classes hosted with physical distancing."

As a solo, it seems like that it will be business as usual on NCL but on Princess I couldn't be seated at a solo MDR table or join a trivia team. No idea how Princess's social distancing for a solo would work on a shore excursion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on the initial Celebrity Edge sailing June 26th. I sail solo a lot and it felt no different then others except for no crowds and low capacity, which was great. Solo cruising is what you make of it pre or post pandemic. I found little difference in meeting people, it is easy if you want to or if introverted that works also. There were no mask mandates for the vaccinated on the ship so if that is worrying you I would try and stay with he 95% vaccinated cruises if they are allowed to stay that way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't tried booking anything lately.  I've been sailing with Princess for my last three cruises, but I don't relish the idea of having to eat all my meals by myself (I believe they will seat you by yourself in the dining room, but no table sharing with strangers) or not being able to join a trivia team.

 

Does anyone know the dining and social distancing policies for the mainstream and "premium" cruise lines?  (Luxury isn't in my budget.)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, elycelynne said:

I haven't tried booking anything lately.  I've been sailing with Princess for my last three cruises, but I don't relish the idea of having to eat all my meals by myself (I believe they will seat you by yourself in the dining room, but no table sharing with strangers) or not being able to join a trivia team.

 

Does anyone know the dining and social distancing policies for the mainstream and "premium" cruise lines?  (Luxury isn't in my budget.)  

Based on the vlogs from currently sailing ships, it looks like social distancing onboard (including dining and mingling) is not an issue on the U.S.-based 95% vaccinated cruises on Celebrity and Carnival.

 

I have no idea why Princess is recommending social distancing on its 100% vaccinated cruises. On the one hand you have the text from the "Latest Safety & Health Protocols" email they sent me on July 2: "You'll now have the ability to identify your Travel Party before you sail. That includes your immediate family and other guests you're cruising with. No need to physically distance from these folks whether dining together, sitting at a show, going on shore excursions or even riding in an elevator. For now we ask that you avoid handshakes and hugs, and physically distance when socializing with anyone outside your travel party.

 

That contradicts the FAQ on their website, last updated on July 16:

Will I have to wear a face mask or physically distance?

If you're sailing on one of these cruises, guests who are fully vaccinated can enjoy taking in a show, sharing a world-class meal, and other onboard experiences without wearing a mask or physical distancing.

 

I'll be posting in this forum from both of my Alaska cruises to let folks know what protocols affect solos. If you can wait 40 days, I'll definitely be posting after boarding Majestic Princess...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Based on the vlogs from currently sailing ships, it looks like social distancing onboard (including dining and mingling) is not an issue on the U.S.-based 95% vaccinated cruises on Celebrity and Carnival.

 

I have no idea why Princess is recommending social distancing on its 100% vaccinated cruises. On the one hand you have the text from the "Latest Safety & Health Protocols" email they sent me on July 2: "You'll now have the ability to identify your Travel Party before you sail. That includes your immediate family and other guests you're cruising with. No need to physically distance from these folks whether dining together, sitting at a show, going on shore excursions or even riding in an elevator. For now we ask that you avoid handshakes and hugs, and physically distance when socializing with anyone outside your travel party.

 

That contradicts the FAQ on their website, last updated on July 16:

Will I have to wear a face mask or physically distance?

If you're sailing on one of these cruises, guests who are fully vaccinated can enjoy taking in a show, sharing a world-class meal, and other onboard experiences without wearing a mask or physical distancing.

 

I'll be posting in this forum from both of my Alaska cruises to let folks know what protocols affect solos. If you can wait 40 days, I'll definitely be posting after boarding Majestic Princess...

I would be happy to wait 40 days or however long it takes to get solo information.  Are your cruises on Princess and another cruise line, or are they both on Princess?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, elycelynne said:

I would be happy to wait 40 days or however long it takes to get solo information.  Are your cruises on Princess and another cruise line, or are they both on Princess?  

 

August 7 on NCL out of Seattle, September 5 on Princess out of Seattle. There is some chatter on the Princess board from the first Majestic cruise now underway but I don't know if anyone posting there is going solo. I don't recall if anyone has mentioned social distancing requirements/recommendations but keep an eye on the live blog. (maybe I should post that question for someone to answer!)

 

EDIT: Good news! Table sharing is happening!

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2791112-july-25-2021-live-from-majestic-princess-alaska-sailing/?do=findComment&comment=61523107

 

Edited by coastcat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Just got back from doing a solo cruise on Adventure of the Seas out of Nassau, Bahamas, July 17-24, 2021. I already knew someone onboard but made friends with another couple who kind of "adopted me" for dinner each night. They were very nice!

 

The cruise was fantastic! I can't tell you how nice it was sailing with only 35% passenger capacity. I have said it was the "Goldie Locks effect"; not too few passengers, not too many passengers, it was just right.

 

I booked a regular balcony stateroom but did the Royal Up bid and my bid was accepted by Royal (the limited capacity I'm sure helped). I moved up to a spacious balcony stateroom for only $60 ($30 pp).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 8:27 PM, coastcat said:

 

August 7 on NCL out of Seattle, September 5 on Princess out of Seattle. There is some chatter on the Princess board from the first Majestic cruise now underway but I don't know if anyone posting there is going solo. I don't recall if anyone has mentioned social distancing requirements/recommendations but keep an eye on the live blog. (maybe I should post that question for someone to answer!)

 

EDIT: Good news! Table sharing is happening!

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2791112-july-25-2021-live-from-majestic-princess-alaska-sailing/?do=findComment&comment=61523107

 

Thanks for the link to that post.  I noticed that it referred to breakfast and I'm wondering if it's the same for dinner?  I'm thinking that they might allow it at breakfast because there's only one dining room that's open at that time and there isn't enough space to separate everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, elycelynne said:

Thanks for the link to that post.  I noticed that it referred to breakfast and I'm wondering if it's the same for dinner?  I'm thinking that they might allow it at breakfast because there's only one dining room that's open at that time and there isn't enough space to separate everyone.

It sounds like Princess is not imposing social distancing measures, so group tables wouldn’t be prohibited. 
 

If you’re concerned about this, post the question to the Princess forum. If you ask in the current live report, maybe someone onboard can verify how solo tables will work. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sailing in two weeks on the Majestic Princess. It will be interesting to see if they're still doing shared tables then or not. Princess just announced this week that we'll have to abide by stricter mask protocols while on the ship. We'll also have to have a Covid test within three days of sailing.

 

I will be fine no matter what. On my last Alaskan cruise, I ended up eating dinner alone a couple of nights before my tablemates were flakes. I will enjoy the ship and the beauty of Alaska.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings from aboard NCL Encore!

 

It is day #3 of Encore’s official return to service. So far the only difference between pre-shutdown and post-shutdown cruising is the queue for the pre-boarding antigen test. Thank goodness I was in the first arrival group, before the Eurofins server went into full meltdown. 
 

But anyway, once we were onboard it’s been just like the old days: no masks onboard, no social distancing, a lively solo host scheduling a busy slate of activities, pastries and espresso in the Studio Lounge, etc.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I was a solo on HAL’s 1st cruise to Alaska.  I cruise to enjoy the cruise. I have never looked to meet people, though in the course of cruising you do meet and chat.

When I dine in the MDR I always ask to share a table and have had great conversations.

I have never looked to be entertained by others, but people watching sure is fun on a ship.  What I love as a solo is doing what I want, when I want too.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I just returned from sailing to Alaska as well👍.........I did meet some awesome folks on this trip and had some lovely dinners with other pax.  This was my 2nd sailing in 2 months......Greece in July and Alaska in August.   This month I am home but in October I am sailing out of Lisbon for 12 nights😀

First time I am visiting Portugal and the entire itinerary is a new one for me!!! Canary Islands and The Azores are on it.  37 days to go.  I am making up for lost time (and cruises).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on Celebrity Edge last week. Since it was a rare instance when Celebrity did not do the full single supplement there were more singles than normal on the ship. We had a large roll call on Cruise Critic and a large sail away meet up at Sunset Bar.

 

There was no designated single meetup. 
The biggest difference I saw was in dining. If you walked in with people you could all sit together. If you walk in alone they will not allow you to share a table with someone you do not know. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Solo on Carnival Pride 10/17 & 10/24. I usually cruise for my birthday. Last cruise was Carnival 24nights which included Hawaii, Guam, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore. Chose the Pride because it is my home port.

 

Gwen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My cruise on the Majestic Princess was great. I met a lot of nice folks. I had a regular trivia team with a couple and a guy traveling with his adult son. (The son joined us just once.) I went to an evening meet-up group most nights and had a good time socializing there. Breakfast and lunch in the dining room were open seating with shared tables if desired. A couple of times, I ended up eating by myself because no one else was asking to share at the same time. At night, I ate later than most people and did not share a table. But a lot of the tables for two are close enough together to converse with others if they are amenable to talking.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, elycelynne said:

I haven't tried booking anything lately.  I've been sailing with Princess for my last three cruises, but I don't relish the idea of having to eat all my meals by myself (I believe they will seat you by yourself in the dining room, but no table sharing with strangers) or not being able to join a trivia team.

 

Does anyone know the dining and social distancing policies for the mainstream and "premium" cruise lines?  (Luxury isn't in my budget.)  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on RCL for my first solo and it was only 30% capacity and part of those didn’t get on the ship.  That one was a little hard to meet others, but the next was about 35% and everyone was there, met so many nice people and joined one group for dinner.  I enjoyed it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Xgoldmoon said:

 

I’ve been on NCL and Princess since the restart. No social distancing requirements are in place so you are free to mingle, share tables, etc. Neither ship had seating/slot machines/etc blocked off, either. Heck, Princess didn’t even space out the tables - I was practically sharing a table in the MDR even though I was eating alone!
 

These were both 100% vaccinated cruises, though, so there were no concerns about vaccinated & unvaccinated people mixing together. 

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...