Suite Upgrade Timing?

majcigar

Good Morning All,

My wife and I are on the 28 August Cruise out of Nassau. We are currently assigned a P1 Cabin on the 10th Floor. When have folks been seeing upgrade opportunities (either Comp or Paid) arrive via email or TA Contact. I booked directly thru Crystal.

Thanks, Jeff (aka Majcigar) ūüôā

I was in a P2, departing July 31, 2021. 30 days before cruise I got the paid offer.  This is not always available, it is on space available and how many suites have been sold.  The complementary upgrades are super rare but if they happen, they would happen two day prior to the cruise when the cruise line take off availability for that weekends cruise.  Example, to day is Thursday, Saturdays cruise will be off line by the evening.  Then the possibility could happen for Saturday's guests.  

It is usually past guests, then back to back cruise guests and then even more rarely first time cruisers.  That is my understanding by doing lots of research.

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I was in a P2, departing July 31, 2021. 30 days before cruise I got the paid offer.  This is not always available, it is on space available and how many suites have been sold.  The complementary upgrades are super rare but if they happen, they would happen two day prior to the cruise when the cruise line take off availability for that weekends cruise.  Example, to day is Thursday, Saturdays cruise will be off line by the evening.  Then the possibility could happen for Saturday's guests.  

It is usually past guests, then back to back cruise guests and then even more rarely first time cruisers.  That is my understanding by doing lots of research.

Good Morning Gary,

Thank you for your response.

Can you let me know what the offer was from a P2 to the upgrade? What was the upgrade too?

Thanks,

Jeff (aka Majcigar)

2 minutes ago, majcigar said:

Good Morning Gary,

Thank you for your response.

Can you let me know what the offer was from a P2 to the upgrade? What was the upgrade too?

Thanks,

Jeff (aka Majcigar)

It would not have mattered which Stateroom with Veranda was.  P1 or P2 would make no difference.  WHY, all Staterooms with Veranda's cost the same for this cruise.  The upgrade was approximately a 50% discount of the difference.  The upgrade (if available at the time) was for a (PH) Penthouse with Veranda.  I hope that helps and please remember, this is some changing times.  Normally, this upgrade opportunity does not happen so it might not.  Usually Crystal Cruises full.  I hope I helped.

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

It would not have mattered which Stateroom with Veranda was.  P1 or P2 would make no difference.  WHY, all Staterooms with Veranda's cost the same for this cruise.  The upgrade was approximately a 50% discount of the difference.  The upgrade (if available at the time) was for a (PH) Penthouse with Veranda.  I hope that helps and please remember, this is some changing times.  Normally, this upgrade opportunity does not happen so it might not.  Usually Crystal Cruises full.  I hope I helped.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Gary, 

not sure where you‚Äôre getting your info from regarding any complementary ¬†upgrade when one was booked in a guarantee for a particular category. ¬†¬†Based on how things were pre-Covid, ¬†they¬†happend¬†from time to time in most categories and ¬†there was never a 2 day rule. ¬†These assignments can occur months, weeks and even the day of the cruise. ¬†¬†Also, I‚Äôm unaware of any specific ‚Äúpecking‚ÄĚ order what type of guest gets assigned at cabin.

Nancy

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Gary, 

not sure where you‚Äôre getting your info from regarding any complementary ¬†upgrade when one was booked in a guarantee for a particular category. ¬†¬†Based on how things were pre-Covid, ¬†they¬†happend¬†from time to time in most categories and ¬†there was never a 2 day rule. ¬†These assignments can occur months, weeks and even the day of the cruise. ¬†¬†Also, I‚Äôm unaware of any specific ‚Äúpecking‚ÄĚ order what type of guest gets assigned at cabin.

Nancy

I will answer your questions because I hope I did not say this in a way that would indicate I am an expert.  I am a first time Crystal Cruises guest.  I thought I was careful how I said things but I can see it could be mis-interpreted.  

I have had some email conversations with some Crystal Associates.  I asked some very pointed questions.  The answers give me an indication that:

1. Complement Upgrades from Stateroom with Veranda (like P1) would NOT happen. 
  2. Paid upgrades were offered on a very limited basis.  Usually when there was a lot of space available.  This is shown in recent Bahamas cruises as what happen to me and others. We had 24 hours to decided.  This was very similar to other cruise brands.
  3. The notion of Paid upgrades is not a policy or a guarantee from Crystal.  It was an unusual opportunity for my cruise.  It was made clear, Crystal Cruises usually leave full by the representative I communicated with. 
  4. Complementary upgrades from Penthouse to Penthouse Suites, which again is a VERY rare occurrence could happen the week prior to cruise leaving.  Usually when the offering was taken off line. Again, the rarest of rare occurrences. 
  5. Pecking Order, that was the dialog given to me.  

We all have a dream that the "Upgrade Fairy" will show up at the last moment to grant us our wish.  The information I gave above was me asking pointed questions to whom I thought would have some information.  

Now here is what I don't want to happen.  I don't want this to be come a huge issue especially coming from me.  I want everyone to understand, I paid for my upgrade just like anyone else that was offered it.  My information came from whom I thought was a valid source.  If I spoke out of line, please for give me.  I hope I clarified my information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I will answer your questions because I hope I did not say this in a way that would indicate I am an expert.  I am a first time Crystal Cruises guest.  I thought I was careful how I said things but I can see it could be mis-interpreted.  

I have had some email conversations with some Crystal Associates.  I asked some very pointed questions.  The answers give me an indication that:

1. Complement Upgrades from Stateroom with Veranda (like P1) would NOT happen. 
  2. Paid upgrades were offered on a very limited basis.  Usually when there was a lot of space available.  This is shown in recent Bahamas cruises as what happen to me and others. We had 24 hours to decided.  This was very similar to other cruise brands.
  3. The notion of Paid upgrades is not a policy or a guarantee from Crystal.  It was an unusual opportunity for my cruise.  It was made clear, Crystal Cruises usually leave full by the representative I communicated with. 
  4. Complementary upgrades from Penthouse to Penthouse Suites, which again is a VERY rare occurrence could happen the week prior to cruise leaving.  Usually when the offering was taken off line. Again, the rarest of rare occurrences. 
  5. Pecking Order, that was the dialog given to me.  

We all have a dream that the "Upgrade Fairy" will show up at the last moment to grant us our wish.  The information I gave above was me asking pointed questions to whom I thought would have some information.  

Now here is what I don't want to happen.  I don't want this to be come a huge issue especially coming from me.  I want everyone to understand, I paid for my upgrade just like anyone else that was offered it.  My information came from whom I thought was a valid source.  If I spoke out of line, please for give me.  I hope I clarified my information.

Hi Gary,

Since I asked the question, just want to let you know that I was very satisfied with your answer. I have had the Upgrade Fairy strike twice on Princess, but I have over 30 cruises with them. This is my first cruise on Crystal too and have ZERO expectations of a free upgrade, but like you I will pay for an upgrade to a Suite as Crystal is normally way out of my price-range!

Thanks again,

Jeff (aka Majcigar)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

1. Paid upgrades were offered on a very limited basis. 

This should be in double bold and underlined.  We've cruised Crystal eight times, and received an upgrade offer once, on our eighth cruise.  Sure, things are dynamic right now, but betting on getting an upgrade offer on Crystal will most likely result in disappointment.

• Like 5

We’ve said on Crystal about 15 times. Have never been offered a paid upgrade. Have been upgraded when booked on a guarantee basis from OV to verandah a few times. The upgrades have always happened a few weeks out at the time cabin was assigned. 

• Like 3

Traditionally Crystal's voyages have sold towards the center -- which is to say they sell from the top of the fare list down and from the bottom of the fare chart up at the same time.  The top and bottom categories sell out first, and then the sales work towards to the center.  If there are staterooms left, they're usually the A's and P1's, which represent marginal value over the B's to most of Crystal's passengers.  These sell out eventually too, but this middle ground where the most staterooms are usually found when there is availability.  Obviously that's not true on every cruise, but as a rule that's long been the trend.

The new pricing scheme for the short cruises that turned that value proposition on its ear.  One, the demand for suites is down because who "needs" a suite on such a short cruise?  It's more of a luxury than it is when you're on the ship for 12-45 days (or more).  You're also hitting a little different of an audience with 7 day North America cruises than long global itineraries.

So long story short, traditionally Crystal hasn't had enough suites to sell to have a structured upsell program in place except on specific, isolated itineraries -- now that's a weekly phenomenon and the dynamic is much different.  A lot of dates are selling from the middle up and down -- opposite of what used to happen before.

Vince

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

We’ve said on Crystal about 15 times. Have never been offered a paid upgrade. Have been upgraded when booked on a guarantee basis from OV to verandah a few times. The upgrades have always happened a few weeks out at the time cabin was assigned. 

This is my situation and hoping I will get one. I would even be willing to pay a bit if it came down to that.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2

We’re 3 couples traveling on 7 August Bahamas cruise, first time with Crystal for all.  We received upgrade offers form Deluxe Veranda cabins to Penthouse cabins several weeks ago however none of us were interested in accepting the offer feeling the upcharge wasn’t worth it, IMHO.  It’s a short cruise and we have cabins adjoining so we’re happy with our originally booked cabins. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, nancygp said:

Gary, 
not sure where you’re getting your info from regarding any complementary  upgrade

lol - theoretical ‚Äúknowledge‚ÄĚ v real world experience - definitely different

Lots of assumptions based on a very small sample size and a set of cruises with particular circumstances ie all verandah cabin categories priced the same to start with 

I wouldn’t take this as a new norm for Crystal and for their sake I certainly hope it isn’t as it’s probably unsustainable - things will continue to evolve

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

lol - theoretical ‚Äúknowledge‚ÄĚ v real world experience - definitely different

Lots of assumptions based on a very small sample size and a set of cruises with particular circumstances ie all verandah cabin categories priced the same to start with 

I wouldn’t take this as a new norm for Crystal and for their sake I certainly hope it isn’t as it’s probably unsustainable - things will continue to evolve

I know, I should NOT have posted anything.  My heart was in the right place.  That being said, I thank every one for all the support and help I was given.  I assure everyone, it listen too, action will be taken and most of all, appreciated.  Cruise well everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I know, I should NOT have posted anything.  My heart was in the right place.  That being said, I thank every one for all the support and help I was given.  I assure everyone, it listen too, action will be taken and most of all, appreciated.  Cruise well everyone.

I'm ALWAYS glad when you post!  The Crystal rep probably glossed over the context that would have made their comments more accurate, and that's where it starts to get wonky when you look at the big picture.  If you generalize the comments that the Crystal rep gave you, your follow-up points are actually pretty accurate in spirit.

Never deprive us of your voice!

Vince

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I'm ALWAYS glad when you post!  The Crystal rep probably glossed over the context that would have made their comments more accurate, and that's where it starts to get wonky when you look at the big picture.  If you generalize the comments that the Crystal rep gave you, your follow-up points are actually pretty accurate in spirit.

Never deprive us of your voice!

Vince

Vince:  So kind.  I am GREAT.  I think it is fantastic that folks care enough to correct things.  Crystal should be very proud of every one on this blog.  It is the only place I have found where everyone has a good heart.  For me, taking correction is very important.  Please remember, I have a lot of practice at it.  I have been married for 42 year, LOL.  Be well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

It is the only place I have found where everyone has a good heart. 

That is so true and I've noticed it as well.  I mostly cruise on one of your cancelled cruise lines and the same certainly cannot be said of the posters on there.

This will be my first Crystal cruise and I'm very excited to try it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

50+ and it has never happened. Except for milestones.

Edited by suzeluvscruz
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Vince:  So kind.  I am GREAT.  I think it is fantastic that folks care enough to correct things.  Crystal should be very proud of every one on this blog.  It is the only place I have found where everyone has a good heart.  For me, taking correction is very important.  Please remember, I have a lot of practice at it.  I have been married for 42 year, LOL.  Be well.

As my NEW T-Shirt States: You can't YELL at me, you're NOT MY WIFE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am not  attacking Crystal in particular but why are cruise companies unable to do what airlines are practising : giving priority for upgrades to regulars instead of a random ?

if a flight is full in a category  the highest level is getting the upgrade - when I had Gold at BA I was upgraded from business to first together with 2 other gold members  

And some people cannot remain silence to other pax and boasting about the upgrades they eventually received. 

I think in 20 cruises I had 2 small upgrades ( one category higher )  and one paid  opportunity for a Ph .

3 minutes ago, vistaman said:

I am not  attacking Crystal in particular but why are cruise companies unable to do what airlines are practising : giving priority for upgrades to regulars instead of a random ?

if a flight is full in a category  the highest level is getting the upgrade - when I had Gold at BA I was upgraded from business to first together with 2 other gold members  

And some people cannot remain silence to other pax and boasting about the upgrades they eventually received. 

I think in 20 cruises I had 2 small upgrades ( one category higher )  and one paid  opportunity for a Ph .

Crystal wasn't playing that game because they didn't generally have surplus suite inventory pre-Covid.  They booked people on guarantees so they would have flexibility to sell surplus cabins on the lower categories as demand dictated and move those passengers into the categories they had surplus inventory -- if ultimately needed.  By not sending out upgrade offers or routinely upgrading verandah passengers to penthouses for free, they maintained pricing integrity for the penthouses without losing many revenue opportunities.  When passengers expect they'll get a discounted offer is coming, and the inventory will be there, they don't pay the published rate.

Now as I mentioned earlier the pandemic and the new pricing model have turned that value proposition on its ear, and demand for suites is much lower.  This gives Crystal the opportunity to sell the upgrades since they now have a significant amount of inventory that could spoil.  

Arguably the airlines (at least in the US) have moved more in the direction of selling the first class seats for what they can vs. doling them out based on status or loyalty anymore.  I primarily fly AA, and for the past few years they've increasingly been playing with the fares and offers for all passengers to try to sell first class seats when they're projecting a surplus, well ahead of anyone's timed upgrade cycles.

So if anything, I'd say the airlines are moving closer to what some of the cruise lines have historically been doing.

Vince

• Like 5

My last transat to Miami was pre covid and I got  the opportunity to go from business to first for a high quantity of "miles" or paying somewhat half the difference between my business  fare and the lowest first on a European company . I did it one way to the US , as return is a night flight . 

I noticed a mid eastern company did upgrade 2 gold member to first when boarding... 

I repeat that Crystal was not my targetūüėĬ† , I saw other items on other lines¬† the style of 4 categories up on a first booking¬†

• Like 2