Suite Upgrade Timing?

majcigar

We decided not to upgrade to PH, however we did move to P1 guarantee room on deck 10. Thanks for all your input. My husband could not figure out why on Earth we would need a butler. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Okay, I'm curious.  What did you request?  I am in a PH for my cruise because my travel partner insists-not that I put up a fight against it

OK, you asked for it.  My first butler we had, I did not engage with them or ask for anything.  I hardly saw them and they became nothing more then a room steward.  I got frustrated and goggled what is a butler supposed to do.  What will they not do.  This lead to future cruises where I was engaging and felt better to have another person whom I just met pamper me.

Your question is, what did you request.  Nothing yet, my Crystal Cruise is on the 31st.  What have I requested is a better question.  

• CPAP Water and Extension Cords.
  • Specific Afternoon Snacks:  As it relates to Crystal, my wife and I LOVE sushi.  We will request pre-dinner sushi since the PH has unlimited Specialty Restaurants. 
  • Ice in a Wine Bucket Placed on the Veranda: At specific times we need the ice replenished.
  • Late Night "Crispy Cookies and Milk": We have been on diets for over two years.  Lost a ton of weight. We want to remember some plenaries of a previous life.
  • Water Bottles Bedside:  The older we get the dryer our mouths get at night.  We love this and not all cruise lines will provide it. Butlers will though.
  • Higher Quality Room Service:  Seems like food is important to me doesn't it.  I like Steak and Eggs.  None of the room service menu's have steak anymore.  Never been a problem with a butler as long as I give them advanced notice.
  • Pillow Menu: The room has a pillow menu.  Sometimes the descriptions don't represent the pillow.  It might take a few times to get it right.
  • In-Suite Dining:  I don't do this much because they room service brings it all at once and the food gets cold or warm respectively.  Butlers bring the food up in courses.  Again, this is maybe one or two meals tops.
  • Furniture or Chair Replacements: Where I have asked my room steward to replace a damaged chair or being an extra chair for the veranda, they forget and take for ever.  The butler has it done immediately. 
  • Restocking of the Mini-Fridge: We like Diet Coke, Tonic, water, and Sweet n Low as well as cream with our coffee. Ask and you will receive. 
  • Intuitive:  As you engage with a GREAT butler, they hear things that might make your trip better.  The next thing you know, it has happened.  Like magic, done.

These are just a few things.  Each request was almost instantly executed.

Again, once I engaged and asked for items that would make my trip more pleasant, it magically happened. Remember, the butlers I have had were NOT on a Luxury Cruise.  It was in Mainstream Cruise Brands.  I hope I helped.

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 1

M'mmm.  Chewy cookies and milk sounds good.  I have had butlers on my Oceania cruises and some have been amazing and some not so much.  I have learned from the butlers and from some passengers what they request so I'm always curious to learn.

Sushi snacks before dinner sounds good too- and yes I dream about food😊

Something that I like that I try to avoid when I'm home is potato chips.  I have had my butler bring some every afternoon but I had one butler that found a large bag of chips and brought them so I could open them when I felt like it- they kept better that way.

Hope you have a great cruise and post while you are on the cruise.  I'm living vicariously til I get to go in October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

OK, you asked for it.  My first butler we had, I did not engage with them or ask for anything.  I hardly saw them and they became nothing more then a room steward.  I got frustrated and goggled what is a butler supposed to do.  What will they not do.  This lead to future cruises where I was engaging and felt better to have another person whom I just met pamper me.

Your question is, what did you request.  Nothing yet, my Crystal Cruise is on the 31st.  What have I requested is a better question.  

• Restocking of the Mini-Fridge: We like Diet Coke, Tonic, water, and Sweet n Low as well as cream with our coffee. Ask and you will receive. 

Hate to tell you but Crystal hasn't has Sweet n Low (the pink stuff) in several years. They have the blue stuff, the yellow stuff, the green stuff, the white stuff and the brown stuff, but no pink stuff!!😲

Patty

• Thanks 1

In-Suite Dining:  I don't do this much because they room service brings it all at once and the food gets cold or warm respectively.  Butlers bring the food up in courses.  

This has always been our experience on Crystal....until the fellow we had in December 2019.  He brought everything from Prego including apps and  dessert all at once.  Pray that you don’t get him ....all other Butlers have gone over and above expectations but the last one we had was so lazy.   He was not new nor young.   When I think back on it we should have complained but we let it go.

5 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

In-Suite Dining:  I don't do this much because they room service brings it all at once and the food gets cold or warm respectively.  Butlers bring the food up in courses.  

This has always been our experience on Crystal....until the fellow we had in December 2019.  He brought everything from Prego including apps and  dessert all at once.  Pray that you don’t get him ....all other Butlers have gone over and above expectations but the last one we had was so lazy.   He was not new nor young.   When I think back on it we should have complained but we let it go.

Did you note this on the very extensive customer satisfaction questionnaire you received at the end of the cruise?  That's a great mechanism to help Crystal improve on a less than perfect experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Did you note this on the very extensive customer satisfaction questionnaire you received at the end of the cruise?  That's a great mechanism to help Crystal improve on a less than perfect experience.

Yes but without specifics.  It is a fine balance between not wanting someone (who does the bare minimum) to potentially loose their job and the fact that as you are no doubt aware that staterooms are less than cheap on Crystal and therefore the service should be stellar.   Hopefully he hasn’t returned post-Covid.  🤞 Our “work-around“ will be to ask for a specific butler.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

Yes but without specifics.  It is a fine balance between not wanting someone (who does the bare minimum) to potentially loose their job and the fact that as you are no doubt aware that staterooms are less than cheap on Crystal and therefore the service should be stellar.   Hopefully he hasn’t returned post-Covid.  🤞 Our “work-around“ will be to ask for a specific butler.  

Cancun1, your heart is in the right place.  No one wants to effect someone livelihood.  Allow me to provide a different perspective which comes from the business i used to be in. Companies need to know when you are not completely satisfied.  If they don't, they can not retrain or educate.  When we as consumer allow things like this to pass, the team member does it again because they know they can get away with it.  That unfortunately is human nature.  

That butler knew better or else something effected his ability to do his job properly.  Please consider in the future to share the information just do it in a kind way.  Many folks go over the top because they come across super mad.  From your example, you are the opposite.  Just a consideration and again, you have a very kind heart.  Hard to find these days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Companies need to know when you are not completely satisfied.  If they don't, they can not retrain or educate. 

This.  Also, this gets to the heart of the negative of a board like this.

Consider:

1) An experienced, and heretofore satisfied, Crystal cruiser has a sub-par experience

2) They choose not to address it while on board

3) They don't review it in such a way in their satisfaction survey that the matter can be addressed  

OK, maybe some slack can be cut for all that, but then, two years later:

4) They take the trouble to post about it anonymously to a cruise board, potentially influencing other's buying behavior

I just don't understand that.

41 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

This.  Also, this gets to the heart of the negative of a board like this.

Consider:

1) An experienced, and heretofore satisfied, Crystal cruiser has a sub-par experience

2) They choose not to address it while on board

3) They don't review it in such a way in their satisfaction survey that the matter can be addressed  

OK, maybe some slack can be cut for all that, but then, two years later:

4) They take the trouble to post about it anonymously to a cruise board, potentially influencing other's buying behavior

I just don't understand that.

It is up to the cruise line to market it’s product with a positive focus.  Attacks such as this is why many people don’t post..  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

It is up to the cruise line to market it’s product with a positive focus.  Attacks such as this is why many people don’t post..  

please continue to help us all with YOUR experience. That is what CC is all about!

• Like 1

Off topic now, but I've cruised enough to see details that others might miss.  But I've also realized that a well run cruise or hotel shouldn't need me to fix them; supervisors should know exactly where the problems are, and should be proactive in fixing them (walk the halls, observe, talk to people). If they aren't, they probably don't care much about what I have to say. I appreciate reading about other people's experiences, it helps to set my own expectations. 

And back on track,  today I booked the Seabreeze Penthouse Suite, in a return to Crystal after 18 years. Reading this thread I hesitated,  and considered rolling the dice on an upgrade.   I'm solo in the cabin and it's a short cruise. But I decided the potential savings wasn't worth me thinking about it for two months. Thanks all for the input. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Cancun1, your heart is in the right place.  No one wants to effect someone livelihood.  Allow me to provide a different perspective which comes from the business i used to be in. Companies need to know when you are not completely satisfied.  If they don't, they can not retrain or educate.  When we as consumer allow things like this to pass, the team member does it again because they know they can get away with it.  That unfortunately is human nature.  

That butler knew better or else something effected his ability to do his job properly.  Please consider in the future to share the information just do it in a kind way.  Many folks go over the top because they come across super mad.  From your example, you are the opposite.  Just a consideration and again, you have a very kind heart.  Hard to find these days. 

Had it been a month long med cruise we would have taken a different approach because we would have probably wanted car service, reservations etc.  It was a 12 day pre-Christmas Caribbean  cruise.  Our needs were little in the Caribbean...no birthday cakes to order, no cars required  etc.   Who wants to ruin someone’s Christmas including our own by dealing with it regardless of  ineptness...and as you say he no doubt knew better.  I don’t think it was a new situation...he told us he had been with Crystal for 10 years.  I am sure his other staterooms were not treated any differently.  We would also have the awkward situation of dealing with  the Butler every day after any complaint.  My TA’s company is a very high volume Crystal seller.  We certainly let them know.  I am not looking for excuses for our lack of “on board” action but I will add that on that cruise we received word that my husband’s brother had passed unexpectedly ...that’s life....but as you are no doubt aware sometimes in life you have to choose your battles.  I certainly did not mention our situation two years later to be negative anonymously.  I just wanted you to know that life aboard is not always perfect.  Regardless  I hope that you and your wife have the time of your life on your cruise and that all of your expectations are exceeded.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

Had it been a month long med cruise we would have taken a different approach because we would have probably wanted car service, reservations etc.  It was a 12 day pre-Christmas Caribbean  cruise.  Our needs were little in the Caribbean...no birthday cakes to order, no cars required  etc.   Who wants to ruin someone’s Christmas including our own by dealing with it regardless of  ineptness...and as you say he no doubt knew better.  I don’t think it was a new situation...he told us he had been with Crystal for 10 years.  I am sure his other staterooms were not treated any differently.  We would also have the awkward situation of dealing with  the Butler every day after any complaint.  My TA’s company is a very high volume Crystal seller.  We certainly let them know.  I am not looking for excuses for our lack of “on board” action but I will add that on that cruise we received word that my husband’s brother had passed unexpectedly ...that’s life....but as you are no doubt aware sometimes in life you have to choose your battles.  I certainly did not mention our situation two years later to be negative anonymously.  I just wanted you to know that life aboard is not always perfect.  Regardless  I hope that you and your wife have the time of your life on your cruise and that all of your expectations are exceeded.

Well said and thank you

Sorry, but I place a premium on consistency.  If a cruise experience is sub-par in such a way as to bother me at the time, I address it at the time.  If it's resolved great, I move on and enjoy myself.  If it isn't, then that's another matter (I've never had that happen on Crystal.)  But if I just let it go, then I let it go.  Period. 

• Like 1

I hope they will still provide the online feedback option onboard. It was useful to me. Once I used it to give positive feedback for someone who went well above and beyond and on another three separate times used it to ask for help to resolve an issue that wasn't clearly a responsibility of one person and it required management to help me and I explained exactly what was the issue and how it impacted me and how I wanted it resolved. I am sure also one could go directly to onboard managers, whether the hotel director or restaurant managers or the shore excursions manager or the food & beverage director or the cruise director (who manages entertainers) or even the spa manager or shops managers who are not working directly for Crystal. I find these people are very understanding if you can present them with the information that helps them respond. It also helps if you deliver the feedback with some empathy to their situation and not as an attack. If you are not sure where to start you can ask the concierge and can either ask for a phone call or drop off a written note.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, Sthrngary said:

May B:  A little Delta Story.  I was doing weekly round trips from Birmingham to LA.  I met lots of famous folks.  On trip, leaving LA early morning coming back home.  A man with Sunglasses was sitting in the window seat and I was on the aisle.  The Flight attendant asked if we wanted a drink? It was 7:30 AM.  My seat partner asked for a double scotch.  I looked at him and asked, "Tough Morning?" He said, "You have no idea."  I looked at the flight attendant and said my favorite movie line, "I have what he is having."

For the next five hours I got completely wasted with the singer, Tom Jones.  That was a long time ago, however a very good memory.  Be well.

I love it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, majcigar said:

Any further updates on when folks are seeing Upgrade Offers?

Jeff 🙂

Jeff, I am no expert nor do I have an inside track.  I made some comments on my opinions early on in my process and I was severely criticized.  The reason was it was all my opinion and not fact. So now for what I actually experienced.  42 day before my cruise I got an email saying for a "Sum Of Money" I could upgrade my (P2) to a (PH).  The email said I had 24 hours to make up my mind.  I made up my mind in 12 minutes.  

Since then, I had to cancel that cruise and rebook on the August 23 sailing.  To date, no offer has been sent and it is 15 days to the cruise.  Those are the facts as happened to me.  Now for strictly my opinion.  Not sure that offer will happen anytime soon again.  In reading all the comments, it kind of makes those that paid full fare for the Penthouse and above feel kind of bad.  I know, I would.  AGAIN, I am no expert, I am just considering what others said when this question came up.  

Yet who knows.  The Upgrade "Fairy" has emerged although rarely in the past.  Good luck and I hope it happens to you. 

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Jeff, I am no expert nor do I have an inside track.  I made some comments on my opinions early on in my process and I was severely criticized.  The reason was it was all my opinion and not fact. So now for what I actually experienced.  42 day before my cruise I got an email saying for a "Sum Of Money" I could upgrade my (P2) to a (PH).  The email said I had 24 hours to make up my mind.  I made up my mind in 12 minutes.  

Since then, I had to cancel that cruise and rebook on the August 23 sailing.  To date, no offer has been sent and it is 15 days to the cruise.  Those are the facts as happened to me.  Now for strictly my opinion.  Not sure that offer will happen anytime soon again.  In reading all the comments, it kind of makes those that paid full fare for the Penthouse and above feel kind of bad.  I know, I would.  AGAIN, I am no expert, I am just considering what others said when this question came up.  

Yet who knows.  The Upgrade "Fairy" has emerged although rarely in the past.  Good luck and I hope it happens to you. 

Hi Gary,

I received the same email as you and it took me only 3 minutes to make the decision.

If you are still interested I would call the number on the previous offer and ask them about it. I just looked at the open rooms on the Crystal Website and it shows 5 open PH's on the 10th Floor and 5 open PH's on the 11th Floor. Looking forward to our cigar on the 28th or 29th in the Connoisseurs Lounge!

Jeff 🙂

12 minutes ago, majcigar said:

Hi Gary,

I received the same email as you and it took me only 3 minutes to make the decision.

If you are still interested I would call the number on the previous offer and ask them about it. I just looked at the open rooms on the Crystal Website and it shows 5 open PH's on the 10th Floor and 5 open PH's on the 11th Floor. Looking forward to our cigar on the 28th or 29th in the Connoisseurs Lounge!

Jeff 🙂

I completely misunderstood your original question. My apologies.  My story is interesting, fun, exciting and very positive.  I will share when we are smoking that cigar.  Sorry for misunderstanding. 

6 minutes ago, smlnd said:

Gary, did you ever get your cabin assignment?  We were GTY but got our room a few weeks ago.

I am good to go.  I am also stupid excited.  I will not count on anything until all those Covid test are done though.  Thank you for letting me know.  Be well.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:23 PM, Sthrngary said:
  •  

These are just a few things.  Each request was almost instantly executed.

I prefer Sweet and Low but like my local Starbucks, they don't have it onboard.  You have to write ahead for guest services now to get it.  The Sweet and Low brand was sold to Equal and is hard to find in some groceries even.