NCLH sues Florida over vaccine passport ban

On 7/19/2021 at 12:26 PM, pingpong1 said:

From today's Wall Street Journal  "....The CDC's requirements allow ships to begin regular sailings without first conducting test cruises if they attest that 95% of crew members and passengers are fully vaccinated.  But Florida, as well as Texas and Alabama, which also have cruise ports, passed laws baring businesses from requiring "vaccine passports," or proof of vaccinations...."

"...Florida had sued U.S. health authorities to overturn a conditional-sailing order put in place by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in October.  Last month (June), U.S. District Judge Steven Merryday in Tampa, Fla,. sided with the state (Florida).  In his ruling, he said Florida was likely to prevail in its claim that the CDC exceeded its authority in issuing the conditional sailing order."

"A three-judge panel from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a temporary stay (of Judge Merryday's order)  at 11:50 p.m. Saturday, just minutes before the lower-court order (Judge Merryday's) would have taken effect.

So as it stands at the moment, the CDC's requirement (for 95% of crew members and passengers to be fully vaccinated).....remains in place.  So again, "Exactly how" - from a practical standpoint - can cruise lines abide by the CDC's Conditional Sailing Order/s...If they have no means of actually verifying passenger and crew "vaccination status"?  I would agree that this whole matter is not yet conclusively "settled".

There still needs to be a definitive ruling in Federal Court (which has not yet happened) that the CDC's jurisdiction over health requirements and passenger health screening protocols for the cruise industry is "pre-eminent" over individual state laws.

Just a correction on Texas. Quoting the Houston Chronicle this morning..." Texas, where Gov. Greg Abbott signed a bill against “vaccine passports,” cruise lines are still requiring vaccines thanks to an exemption in the law. Texas businesses are allowed to comply with public health guidelines, including the CDC sailing order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding Celebrity…. I forgot to include this… if you do not volunteer your vaccine certificate you must be tested before you board ship. During the cruise, there is another Covid test. Before you disembark take the last test, which will delay you disembarkation. And, this charge for the testing will be an additional $176. Per person, added to your folio. 
This is in addition to the separate areas for dining, shows etc. And the ability to visit the ports on tour own, if you are permitted to get off.
Not to pleasant to cruise this way. 
sheila 

• Like 2

Am I the "only one in the world" who saw this Court of Appeals ruling on Friday night??!!  It seems to have now "swung the pendulum" back in favor of Florida and Gov. DeSantis   and "against" the CDC...or am I missing something??

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ne-cdc-cruise-ship-regulations--20210723-ilevucu6drbnlh4qjhpdoy243a-story.html

4 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Am I the "only one in the world" who saw this Court of Appeals ruling on Friday night??!!  It seems to have now "swung the pendulum" back in favor of Florida and Gov. DeSantis   and "against" the CDC...or am I missing something??

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ne-cdc-cruise-ship-regulations--20210723-ilevucu6drbnlh4qjhpdoy243a-story.html

I saw it as well.  Still waiting to see how Regent reacts. I still think they will move from Florida but this is much easier said than done.  Then again, what do I know??

3 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

I saw it as well.  Still waiting to see how Regent reacts. I still think they will move from Florida but this is much easier said than done.  Then again, what do I know??

Regent (NCLH) will not move from Florida (including headquarters).  Just learned that Crystal that had been 100% vaccinated is now allowing unvaccinated kids under twelve.  Cannot imagine NCL saying they will not sail with kids under twelve.  

There are still lots of twists and turns prior to Regent's first cruise from Florida on 15 November.

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

This is very confusing. Some of the language at the end of the article seems to imply that businesses SHOULD be allowed to make decisions on Covid safety measures, which Florida’s law currently prohibit. 

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Regent (NCLH) will not move from Florida (including headquarters).  Just learned that Crystal that had been 100% vaccinated is now allowing unvaccinated kids under twelve.  Cannot imagine NCL saying they will not sail with kids under twelve.  

There are still lots of twists and turns prior to Regent's first cruise from Florida on 15 November.

I agree they won't move the headquarters but I think they will skip all Florida ports if this is not resolved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

I agree they won't move the headquarters but I think they will skip all Florida ports if this is not resolved.

By 15 November there will be a half dozen RCG and a half dozen Carnival ships sailing from Florida.  If NCL does not have a single ship sailing from Florida at that time then the company is in a world of hurt and FdR will be long gone.

• Like 1

If you don’t live in Florida you would really need to fly to Miami to board a Regent cruise. I live in the state but if I need to fly to a Caribbean port to board it would be ok. Our friends in Memphis just took a Crystal cruise and flew to Nassau to board. So if Regent pulls out of Miami I wouldn’t care.

34 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

By 15 November there will be a half dozen RCG and a half dozen Carnival ships sailing from Florida.  If NCL does not have a single ship sailing from Florida at that time then the company is in a world of hurt and FdR will be long gone.

Respectfully disagree - many options besides sailing from Florida and FDR is pretty popular among those that would replace him. But we will see is no more than 110 days, yes?

20 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I am close to 100% confident that Seven Seas Splendor will sail from Miami on 17 December (with me onboard); I am less confident that Regent will be part of NCLH at that time.  

Certainly a viable explanation for recent personnel changes.....

29 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I am close to 100% confident that Seven Seas Splendor will sail from Miami on 17 December (with me onboard); I am less confident that Regent will be part of NCLH at that time.  

With all cruise lines deeply in debt sincerely doubt there will be anyone  buying any cruise lines for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

But we will see is no more than 110 days

The first NCLH ship out of Miami, Norwegian Gem, is scheduled to depart with 100% vaccinated crew & guests on August 15, so we should know what FdR's next move will be very soon; with consequential decisions for Regent itineraries to follow.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

The first NCLH ship out of Miami, Norwegian Gem, is scheduled to depart with 100% vaccinated crew & guests on August 15, so we should know what FdR's next move will be very soon; with consequential decisions for Regent itineraries to follow.

ITA.  Keep an eye on Norwegian Gem's August 15 itinerary.  This is getting much more interesting (not a word I use lightly or mean with any sort of pleasant connotation in this context, unfortunately).  I do still hope things will work out, both for NCLH and for all of us passengers.

The NCHL lawsuit against Florida is to be heard on August 6, which is before the first sailing from Florida. 

Any company would be making back up plans in the event a lawsuit does not go their way. My best guess is we will hear nothing until after the 6th.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

The NCHL lawsuit against Florida is to be heard on August 6, which is before the first sailing from Florida. 

Is the hearing on the 6th the chance for NCLH to make its case or is it just for Florida to make its case on change of venue?

Pudgesmom et al:  

In  light of these recent Court developments, reviewed my earlier Posts #34 and #42.  At this point, continue hoping Explorer will be at Barcelona on October 31st to begin that two week segment.  Where it winds up 15 days later (fill in the blank) remains uncertain.  [Plan B, or C?] That is why spouse and I have made Regent responsible for our return to Seattle.  

Still hopeful in Seattle--

GOARMY!

34 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Pudgesmom et al:  

In  light of these recent Court developments, reviewed my earlier Posts #34 and #42.  At this point, continue hoping Explorer will be at Barcelona on October 31st to begin that two week segment.  Where it winds up 15 days later (fill in the blank) remains uncertain.  [Plan B, or C?] That is why spouse and I have made Regent responsible for our return to Seattle.  

Still hopeful in Seattle--

GOARMY!

Hi, GOARMY, we are on the crossing also and have been reading your comments. I think we would prefer Charleston, there is a direct flight to PHX at a good departure time should it come to that. I looked at flights to SEA and there are 3 direct flights ( AA ) but not the best times one at 4:45p. Lets just hope we go into MIA. 

Our Regent cruise (out of Miami) is not until January.  Plenty of time to figure out what is happening and what is going on.  As I wrote above, I think all eyes should be on that NCL cruise out of Miami.  

• Like 2

I just read on the NCL board that the Miami Herald is reporting that the August cruise out of Miami has been cancelled.  Can this be right?  Need to look this up, and I am not sure I have access to the Herald (do I need to subscribe?).  If this is correct, I am not sure what NCLH is planning.

NM.  This was completely outdated information from a year ago posted on the NCL board.  Sheesh.  

Edited by ysolde
Incorrect information.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up after the first hour; the State of Florida lawyer seemed pretty incompetent.  The Judge has hundreds of pages of exhibits to read on which to base her decision.  Decision should be soon as Norwegian Gem is scheduled to leave Miami next Sunday.  

• Like 1