NCL suing Florida over vaccine law.

So celebrity and carnival are both sailing out of Florida 95% vaxxed with no problems at all.  Seems NCL is not ok with 95% and they want the full 100%. No playing with fire, No health exemptions, no child exemptions etc. Considering the state of the world at the moment and the speed the vaccines are being approved for younger ages (I have a child myself) I have no problem with this mindset, especially for start-up when there is so much at stake for the entire industry.  Ports of call may favor ships that are known to be 100% vaxxed vs others also. I like desantis but this law is making a difficult situation even more difficult for the cruise industry. They have been through enough at this point

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don’t think it’s childish or excuses. They are trying to protect their company and passengers by having fully vaccinated. If it wasn’t for DeSantis no one would be in this situation to begin with.

If it wasn't for De Santis/Florida suing the CDC, cruising would be nowhere.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I've counted 17 Threads closed in last 4wks, all were Vaccines and Politics.

Its about to be 18 because the same people just can't quit the politics.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Actually, so has Florida

TBH, the no cruise order or whatever was the right move....16 months ago.  With the current state, it is archaic.  Government doesnt know when to tap out.  FL got in the mix because of the FEDs as a double cross/reverse psychology move misinterpreted by many.  As I've said time and again, provide data and honest information and the populace is pretty good at figuring it out without the omnipresent helicopter mom.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jrapps said:

Why is a company trying to run their business as they see fit an experiment and/or reinvent the wheel? Everyone here gets so judgmental. Whether their lawsuit has merit or not is irrelevant (and up to courts to decide) but so many people jump straight to condemn (or exalt) for their choice.

Nice try on saying I am 'jumping straight to condemn (or exalt)'...  quite the contrary.  Just simply stating they're trying something different...thus the results are yet unknown.

Sorry my opinion doesn't agree w/ yours...well, no, I'm not a bit sorry.  I appreciate you giving your opinion, but could really care less what that opinion is.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

This is their Achilles heel in my opinion.  Florida just points to the other lines that are sailing and rests its case.

Yes, other lines go with 95% vaccinated and require testing for all or at least the 5% that won't provide their vaccine status.    Also, if you can prove you have had COVID19 with antibodies, you can cruise.  Also, for kids under 12 they don't get to cruise?

I understand Florida's concern over the vaccine mandate.  I still think private corporations should have the option of setting their own policy, but the Florida vaccine law has loop  holes.

9 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

The free market can’t because the federal government has endeavored in intrude into the free market. 

8 hours ago, DWBirdman said:

Agreed, get the CDC out of the free market and let companies decide how they want to cater to their customers.

Yes, exactly!  Reduce the regulations, at both the state and federal levels.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It could be, as expressed months ago, that NCL is indeed financially seeing itself 'tapped out at the end of June and doesn't see anywhere near the volume of profitable revenue sailings for the rest of 2021 in order to financially survive. 

Deflection of the impending financial blame could be in play.

It has almost nothing left to encumber.  The potential for a 'winter virus revival,' at least by those that have promoted the restrictions and by reference to variants (interestingly, no longer named for source countries 😉), is also high.

So, NCL could be hedging its explanation of why it is (going to be) in serious financial trouble.

For those who have taken the consideration of the increased shares in equity, the potential for more via convertible debt, the current PPS is 'multiples' of the fundamental underlying value 'in a fully operational environment' and (adjusted for equity) has been OVER its highs pre-pandemic.

Love the NCL brand, along with RCCL and MSC.  The ships will always 'exist,' who owns and operates them is certainly in doubt.

IMO.

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zpdw484 said:

So celebrity and carnival are both sailing out of Florida 95% vaxxed with no problems at all.  Seems NCL is not ok with 95% and they want the full 100%. No playing with fire, No health exemptions, no child exemptions etc. Considering the state of the world at the moment and the speed the vaccines are being approved for younger ages (I have a child myself) I have no problem with this mindset, especially for start-up when there is so much at stake for the entire industry.  Ports of call may favor ships that are known to be 100% vaxxed vs others also. I like desantis but this law is making a difficult situation even more difficult for the cruise industry. They have been through enough at this point

Maybe you can explain why carnival and celebrity can ask but not ncl.

What difference does she percentage make. They still ask. All adults show card to board, now some over 12., or exemption letter is shown on carnival.

I dont see what difference percentage makes and why ncl wants to drag this into next year. Get restarted. Make some money, not political pts. .. not that I think carnival or rcl is making money yet, but at least they are using up those fccs and for carnival obc. 

I'm looking at them as a economic business not just making pts with the public. They need income NOW. Not a lawsuit dragging into next year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Also, if you can prove you have had COVID19 with antibodies, you can cruise. 

While I think this is a good idea, which cruiseline does this or plans on it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

While I think this is a good idea, which cruiseline does this or plans on it?

I was wondering that, too. That post was the first I had heard of it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don’t think it’s childish or excuses. They are trying to protect their company and passengers by having fully vaccinated. If it wasn’t for DeSantis no one would be in this situation to begin with.

And exactly how is it that desantis caused this situation?

The 95% came from the cdc not from florida. It affects ports in other states. You give florida too much credit for what's going on.

It's why rcl who doesnt want to do the 95% is wearing masks and carnival and celebrity arent wearing masks .. nothing to do with florida.

Ncl can ask same like the others are asking. So far cruiselines are also asking in florida. To determine if they are at the 95%. So how is florida responsible for this mess? Makes no sense to me to sue right now... as I've posted, way late in filing. This should have been done before cruises restated. Now as someone above posted it might be excuses, finding someone to blame as they are rocky financially. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

What difference does she percentage make. They still ask. All adults show card to board, now some over 12., or exemption letter is shown on carnival.

I dont see what difference percentage makes and why ncl wants to drag this into next year. Get restarted. Make some money, not political pts. .. not that I think carnival or rcl is making money yet, but at least they are using up those fccs and for carnival obc. 

I'm looking at them as a economic business not just making pts with the public. They need income NOW. Not a lawsuit dragging into next year.

The same applies to the fact that RCCL, Carnival and Celebrity are sailing under the CDC rules. So why is Florida right saying the CDC is preventing cruising? The cruiselines just got on with it under the conditions they had to operate and made it work. Same applies to NCL and Florida. If Everyone can get with it under the CDC NCL can get on with it under FL law.

• Like 1

This entire situation is why you see me posting here and not over on the NCL board as I have done for quite a few years.  All of my previous cruise experience was with NCL.  I really liked their Freestyle cruising concept and found all of my experiences to be a positive with their line.  BUT, since they have been delaying and delaying and delaying, I have already scheduled two Royal cruises as I really want to get back to cruising.  This lawsuit is just another case of them putting their political maneuvering  ahead of their customers' desires to cruise.  Hope they have a good time sitting in court while I sit by the pool sipping my Royal drink.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I agree with you. NCL should use a work around as other lines have and start sailing at 95% vaxxed. It's time to get moving. No masks and loosened restrictions.  I was just pointing out a few reasons they may prefer 100% vaxxed. Obviously they feel if they want to sail at 100% vaxxed they should be able to and I agree with that.  Like someone else said perhaps they are in financial distress and this is the beginning of the blame game

Edited by zpdw484
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, zpdw484 said:

I agree with you. NCL should use a work around as other lines have and start sailing at 95% vaxxed. It's time to get moving. No masks and loosened restrictions.  I was just pointing out a few reasons they may prefer 100% vaxxed. Obviously they feel if they want to sail at 100% vaxxed they should be able to and I agree with that.  

Do 100%. Do whatever they want. What's stopping them 95 or 100%. Asking is asking.. theynare asking before you can board.

7 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I don't  think this will end well for Florida.

Why? How can they argue that the law prevents them from being able to do business in Florida while other cruise lines have been doing so...and effectively?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Well it's preventing a private company from operating its business how it wishes. 

So you live in Florida, think a business has the right to ask you medical questions, and discriminate against you by preventing you from going on a trip?  All the other cruise lines seem to be doing ok with this, and adapting, so goodbye NCL.  No big deal. 

It's time to look around in Florida.  Tourism is up.  People are traveling.  The only business with restrictions is the cruise industry that the CDC has targeted unfairly.  

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Do 100%. Do whatever they want. What's stopping them 95 or 100%. Asking is asking.. theynare asking before you can board.

I assume the "allowing up to 5% unvaxxed" is directly related to carnival and celebrities tactic of getting around the Florida law. Technically it's not "required" to be vaxxed but there's limited inventory for unvaxxed.  What a cluster

Posted (edited)

Am I in the wrong place this morning? This is the Royal board, isn't it?

If so, why do any of us care who NCL sues or doesn't sue, or whether NCL wants 100% vaccinated passengers or if they do what Royal is doing?

Now, if Del Rio or his team what to pay through their collective noses for my opinions, then I'll start caring. (Frank, buddy, call me.📞, I've got my eye on that new Ferrari )

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Saw a post about princess restarting, doing 100% vaccinated..must be a miracle as they say only vaccinated for now. Are they skipping florida or just smarter than ncl. 

The fact other cruiselines are already going out of florida weakens ncl argument they cant do it how they want.  That sounds childish. Just restart. Quit with excuses. 

In the past Princess only kept one or two ships in the Caribbean during the summer. Most of the fleet were in other parts of the world like Alaska and Europe. It wouldn't hurt them not to sail from Florida this year. My BIL and SIL had a July cruise from Ft Lauderdale that was canceled.  Fall and Spring They have more ships in the Caribbean. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Am I in the wrong place this morning? This is the Royal board, isn't it?

If so, why do any of us care who NCL sues or doesn't sue, or whether NCL wants 100% vaccinated passengers or if they do what Royal is doing?

Because if NCL is successful, Royal could also start sailing with 100% vaccinated cruises out of Florida, which would be of interest on this board.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Because if NCL is successful, Royal could also start sailing with 100% vaccinated cruises out of Florida, which would be of interest on this board.

They could follow Celebrity model NOW.... but Fain said that they would be below 95% because of children... they are a family cruise line... Celebrity is focused more on adults... most of whom are vaccinated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Yes, other lines go with 95% vaccinated and require testing for all or at least the 5% that won't provide their vaccine status.    Also, if you can prove you have had COVID19 with antibodies, you can cruise.  Also, for kids under 12 they don't get to cruise?

I understand Florida's concern over the vaccine mandate.  I still think private corporations should have the option of setting their own policy, but the Florida vaccine law has loop  holes.

Is this true? Can someone provide a link? That woman who was recently kicked off Freedom... kept screaming in her video... that she had covid months ago and had antibodies... I wonder if that is how she got a purple (I've been vaccinated) wrist band. Later when it was discovered that she had not been vaccinated they did a covid test... it was positive and she was removed. Could it be that she used the antibody defense to get considered vaccinated. Anyway I would love to see a link that says antibodies allows you to cruise as a vaccinated person... because since unvaccinated can cruise...those with antibodies could also cruise within limits.. <5% on some ships... the key is do cruise ships recognize antibodies as equal to being vaccinated... would love to see that in writing someplace