Jump to content

NCL suing Florida over vaccine law.


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Well said, the Govt makes you conform to many laws/rules. 

This Florida law goes against companies being to operate as safely and responsibly as possible. Cruise lines should be able to do everything they possibly can to keep their crew and passengers safe, especially during a global pandemic. Florida is WRONG WRONG WRONG on every level. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Because if NCL is successful, Royal could also start sailing with 100% vaccinated cruises out of Florida, which would be of interest on this board.

So they would turn into all adults cruises.  I better add to my Disney holdings.😀

 

Is NCL sailing and if so which ports.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

So they would turn into all adults cruises.  I better add to my Disney holdings.😀

 

Is NCL sailing and if so which ports.

I thought 12 and older could get vaccinated, no?

 

I have no idea about NCL's sailings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, kearney said:

Is this true? Can someone provide a link? That woman who was recently kicked off Freedom... kept screaming in her video... that she had covid months ago and had antibodies... I wonder if that is how she got a purple (I've been vaccinated) wrist band. Later when it was discovered that she had not been vaccinated they did a covid test... it was positive and she was removed. Could it be that she used the antibody defense to get considered vaccinated. Anyway I would love to see a link that says antibodies allows you to cruise as a vaccinated person... because since unvaccinated can cruise...those with antibodies could also cruise within limits.. <5% on some ships... the key is do cruise ships recognize antibodies as equal to being vaccinated... would love to see that in writing someplace

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/returning-cruise-voyages.html

 

Edited to add: Protocol for returning from a cruise.

Screenshot_20210714-093538_Chrome.jpg

Edited by raprice18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zpdw484 said:

I assume the "allowing up to 5% unvaxxed" is directly related to carnival and celebrities tactic of getting around the Florida law. Technically it's not "required" to be vaxxed but there's limited inventory for unvaxxed.  What a cluster

Again this is from the cdc. The cdc rules said it's considered a vaccinated cruise if you have at least 95% vaccinated.  Celebrity sailed at 99%. 

 

To win you have to prove damages. If other cruiselines are asking and sailing vaccinated then so can ncl florida can reply.

 

Just I dont like florida law is not a valid reason at least to win, you need damages from florida. Anyone can sue ... but unless ncl just has money to spare, they need a valid case and need to prove florida caused them damages. 

 

I saw someone say they dont like what florida did about key west. Great ...its about feelings. I dont like it either, but I dont sue over my feelings. I'm seeing way too many that just dont like florida so think this is great. ..not if it's my money and I'm a shareholder. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, raprice18 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/returning-cruise-voyages.html

 

Edited to add: Protocol for returning from a cruise.

Screenshot_20210714-093538_Chrome.jpg

Just because the CDC says that, doesn't mean the cruiselines have to follow it to the letter.  They still require testing unless you are vaccinated on RCI.  And on AD out of Nassau, they tested everyone.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Because if NCL is successful, Royal could also start sailing with 100% vaccinated cruises out of Florida, which would be of interest on this board.

Royal still wouldn't sail at 100%. They don't want to eliminate those who are not eligible for the vaccine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It definitely will be interesting to follow and I'm surprised the law took this long to get a challenge.

 

But from reading their arguments, they seem pretty weak, especially since they're claiming they can't do what's already being done

NCL is planning to sail 100% vaxxed passengers and crew. They don’t plan to have that 5% to “play” with so they can say that they ARE accommodating the un-vaxxxed. They will not accommodate any un-vaxxed and that is where they have a difficult time “skirting” that silly Florida law. 
 

i would like nothing better than for NCL stick to their guns and blow this damn law out of the water. This law goes against everything that allows the cruise line to operate safely as possible. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BND said:

Just because the CDC says that, doesn't mean the cruiselines have to follow it to the letter.  They still require testing unless you are vaccinated on RCI.

Correct. Responding to kearney post regarding seeing in writing that antibodies would allow you to cruise. CDC would allow. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are we willing to give up a freedom to cruise? If this passes then what about the CSO will come roaring back unabated? If this passes what will be the next freedom we lose? I am not interested  in being forced to prove I am vaxed to get in my local grocery or hardware store by the bouncer at the door. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Sailing with 100% vaccinated goes against all science for herd immunity.

Except the purpose of a cruise isn't to create herd immunity lol.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No, it's to take advantage of it already existing with such high vaccination rates among passengers

The only ones taking advantage would be unvaccinated.  Otherwise, it doesn't matter.  If 100% vaccinated, then no issue.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, cruisinghawg said:

Are we willing to give up a freedom to cruise? If this passes then what about the CSO will come roaring back unabated? If this passes what will be the next freedom we lose? I am not interested  in being forced to prove I am vaxed to get in my local grocery or hardware store by the bouncer at the door. 

Life, liberty and the pursuit of a kummelweck sandwich...really?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

So you live in Florida, think a business has the right to ask you medical questions, and discriminate against you by preventing you from going on a trip?  All the other cruise lines seem to be doing ok with this, and adapting, so goodbye NCL.  No big deal. 

 

It's time to look around in Florida.  Tourism is up.  People are traveling.  The only business with restrictions is the cruise industry that the CDC has targeted unfairly.  

They’ve been asking medical questions, and depending how people answer, preventing them from going on a cruise for the 11 years that I have been cruising. So it’s none of the cruise lines business that I had diarrhea within the previous 24 hours?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, raprice18 said:

Interesting... the link doesn't say that you will be able to cruise as a vaccinated person but that you don't need these tests...However it does appear to explain the positive test result for woman who was kicked off the Freedom.  She came across as unhinged...but reading this... I can see why she was so angry...  Thanks for the link.

 

Did you see anything that actually says you are considered vaccinated if you have antibodies or antibodies above some level? This just deals with testing requirements and quarantining... but still very interesting..and confusing for what it doesn't spell out clearly ..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BND said:

The only ones taking advantage would be unvaccinated.  Otherwise, it doesn't matter.  If 100% vaccinated, then no issue.

Unvaccinated, like...kids, who are less at risk for covid than older vaccinated adults?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I was wondering that, too. That post was the first I had heard of it.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof

 

VACCINE-RECOMMENDED CRUISES

For Cruises Departing From Florida in July 2021

We strongly recommend that all guests 16 years of age and older be fully vaccinated before sailing. We will ask, but not require, that fully vaccinated guests provide documentation of vaccination before boarding (for example, a U.S. CDC vaccination card). A guest who cannot provide documentation of vaccination will be considered unvaccinated and must adhere to additional health protocols and undergo COVID-19 testing. Unvaccinated guests 16 and older will be responsible for covering the fees associated with these tests.

Since the majority of our guests will be vaccinated onboard, there will be venues and events restricted to vaccinated guests only. We’ll do our best to create opportunities for all guests to enjoy their time with us. Please note, your SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows and dining venues, so keep it handy at all times during your cruise. 

 

For Cruises Departing from Florida on or after August 1, 2021

We strongly recommend that all guests 12 years of age and older be fully vaccinated before sailing. We will ask, but not require, that fully vaccinated guests provide documentation of vaccination before boarding (for example, a U.S. CDC vaccination card). A guest who cannot provide documentation of vaccination will be considered unvaccinated and must adhere to additional health protocols and undergo COVID-19 testing.  Unvaccinated guests 12 and older will be responsible for covering the fees associated with these tests.

Unvaccinated guests 12 years of age and older, sailing from Florida ports on or after August 1, 2021, will need to meet an additional requirement to provide proof of a valid travel insurance policy.

Since the majority of our guests will be vaccinated onboard, there will be venues and events restricted to vaccinated guests only. We’ll do our best to create opportunities for all guests to enjoy their time with us. Please note, your SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows and dining venues, so keep it handy at all times during your cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

Interesting... the link doesn't say that you will be able to cruise as a vaccinated person but that you don't need these tests...However it does appear to explain the positive test result for woman who was kicked off the Freedom.  She came across as unhinged...but reading this... I can see why she was so angry...  Thanks for the link.

 

Did you see anything that actually says you are considered vaccinated if you have antibodies or antibodies above some level? This just deals with testing requirements and quarantining... but still very interesting..and confusing for what it doesn't spell out clearly ..

 

Nothing that says you are considered vaccinated. Still referred to as unvaccinated. Has wording you do not need to be tested BEFORE and AFTER cruise for people who recently recovered from COVID-19.

 

Link from June update

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

Screenshot_20210714-100230_Chrome.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof

 

VACCINE-RECOMMENDED CRUISES

For Cruises Departing From Florida in July 2021

We strongly recommend that all guests 16 years of age and older be fully vaccinated before sailing. We will ask, but not require, that fully vaccinated guests provide documentation of vaccination before boarding (for example, a U.S. CDC vaccination card). A guest who cannot provide documentation of vaccination will be considered unvaccinated and must adhere to additional health protocols and undergo COVID-19 testing. Unvaccinated guests 16 and older will be responsible for covering the fees associated with these tests.

Since the majority of our guests will be vaccinated onboard, there will be venues and events restricted to vaccinated guests only. We’ll do our best to create opportunities for all guests to enjoy their time with us. Please note, your SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows and dining venues, so keep it handy at all times during your cruise. 

 

For Cruises Departing from Florida on or after August 1, 2021

We strongly recommend that all guests 12 years of age and older be fully vaccinated before sailing. We will ask, but not require, that fully vaccinated guests provide documentation of vaccination before boarding (for example, a U.S. CDC vaccination card). A guest who cannot provide documentation of vaccination will be considered unvaccinated and must adhere to additional health protocols and undergo COVID-19 testing.  Unvaccinated guests 12 and older will be responsible for covering the fees associated with these tests.

Unvaccinated guests 12 years of age and older, sailing from Florida ports on or after August 1, 2021, will need to meet an additional requirement to provide proof of a valid travel insurance policy.

Since the majority of our guests will be vaccinated onboard, there will be venues and events restricted to vaccinated guests only. We’ll do our best to create opportunities for all guests to enjoy their time with us. Please note, your SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows and dining venues, so keep it handy at all times during your cruise. 

I didn't see a thing about antibodies, or antibody testing, in that post. Could you point it out for me?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, raprice18 said:

Nothing that says you are considered vaccinated. Still referred to as unvaccinated. Has wording you do not need to be tested BEFORE and AFTER cruise for people who recently recovered from COVID-19.

 

Link from June update

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

Screenshot_20210714-100230_Chrome.jpg

The story is that this woman had Covid and had test results proving this... It sounds like the port staff gave her a purple wrist band and later realized that she was no vaccinated..so they gave her a test and it was positive. Your link notes that it would likely be positive because she had recovered. Anyway they removed her... she was beyond upset. It seemed unreasonable..but your link and the fact that the CDC guidance and ship protocols skip any discussion of how to handle recovered covid patients... is a set up for miscommunications and problems. Seems that there is a hole in the protocols..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...