An insurance (covid cancellation) voucher tale

Posted (edited)

So we had a cruise booked on the Grandeur for March of '20 that was obviously canceled, then rebooked for '21 but as we know that didn't happen either. Anyway, I had gotten insurance on it (through an independent company - not the cruise line). Following the cancellation, the company issued a voucher for the value of the insurance to be used for a future trip. An initial termination date was extended, so just now I got around to inquiring about this. The value of the voucher (and original cost of the coverage) was around $330. Paperwork said it could be used for any trip booked by April '21. Uh-oh. Completely slipped my mind over the past year; however, fine print also said it was good for any trip till December of '22. So I called them up - figured doesn't hurt to ask.

Was told, "sure, you can still use it". How nice. My reply.."ok, how about we do that now since the cruise has been rebooked to March '22" (on the Enchantment) at basically the same cost. All well and good, so he takes the new dates, etc., then goes on to some complicated explanation about since the policy was technically never canceled (?) and goes back all the way to '20, plus a few other issues that I didn't quite follow, the cost of the new coverage AFTER applying the voucher would be............wait for it...........an additional $340. 😆  No wonder he was willing to grant it after the alleged deadline!!!  Doesn't seem fair, especially given that I looked up the same coverage for the same trip cost and it comes to....wait for it again...the original $330 that I already paid!  So, since he could tell I wasn't real happy and I made it a point to say that I've bought trip insurance from them many times, he said that he'd see if they could refund the original cost - so I just got a form to complete. See what happens. I get that these companies have suffered financial hardships due to all the cancellations, but, still....it's almost like not honoring the purpose of the voucher. He was actually very nice and I think felt a bit caught in the middle, so I do appreciate him mentioning the option of MAYBE getting the money back. He wasn't sure if they'd do it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• OnTheJourney changed the title to An insurance (covid cancellation) voucher tale
Posted (edited)

We used an independent agency as well for our 2020 cruise that was cancelled, one that is highly recommended here.  We never did get anything back when the cruises were cancelled, not even a voucher for part of the cost, and because of the flippant way we were dealt with, we will not do business with them again.  Hope you get something out of this.  🙂

I was glad that we didn't buy policies for the rest of our cruises that were booked, opting to weigh the odds of an annual policy before buying.  That way, we were only out about $700 for the insurance on this one cruise (there were two cabins, 4 adults).  

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 1

Has the cost of the cruise increased? My insurance is always based on the cost of trip as well as age of passengers, Are they quoting for the same level of coverage or maybe one that is more comprehensive? Just a few ponderings. 😏

39 minutes ago, read2learn said:

Has the cost of the cruise increased?

Nope...actually the rebooked cruise was a bit less. 

39 minutes ago, read2learn said:

Are they quoting for the same level of coverage

Yea...same policy and terms. 

55 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Hope you get something out of this.  🙂

We'll see. They already sent me the form to apply for the refund. 

sorta on topic, i was able to apply my canceled cruise insurance to a land vacation to mexico at last year. at least i got go use it 🙂 my company said when i canceled my cruise that the credit is good for 3 years but no way did i want to wait that long

I purchased outside insurance for a May, 2020, that never happened...I contacted the company prior to cancelling the cruise and had the insurance applied to the one re-booked in November, 2020.  Then, when that cruise was cabashed, I contacted them again, and had the original policy applied to the one that is scheduled to go in November of this year year.  The only extra that I would've had to pay would be for any increase in price of the cruise...since the charged were the same, there was no problem. We have always used them for cruises and have never had a problem.

• Like 1

Outside insurance for May 2020 Alaska cruise.  I forget the voucher details but it was extended for travel through at least EOY 2021.

Called them to apply to Oct 2021 Caribbean cruise and they applied it to that.....and just got a refund check yesterday for the difference (Caribbean definitely cheaper than the Alaskan cruise.)

Hope you get a refund (fingers crossed)

• Like 1

If you have insurance that covers trip cancellation I wonder how it is going to be handled when most of the cruise is paid for with FCC's.  I imagine that they are only going to reimburse for the money that actually shows as being paid on the booking and not reimburse the value of the FCC's

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If you have insurance that covers trip cancellation I wonder how it is going to be handled when most of the cruise is paid for with FCC's. 

As of now I have no insurance on the March cruise. The policy in question is way past the expiration date of the coverage, hence my confusion about why it was still "in effect" all this time. Very weird. I'll book a new policy sometime next year when we get closer to the trip. 

We were able to transfer our January 2021 Celerity Apex Travel Guard insurance to our January 2022 Celerity Apex but it was as soon after we did L&S. Good luck.

I just have an annual policy.....much cheaper, and good for all trips during the year over 100 miles from home.  So if my luggage falls off my roof of the car on way to Disney it is covered.  Both last year, and once this year, I changed my vacation to land based, and I never have to worry about the insurance being transferred, repriced,  canceled etc.  Something to look into for the future

I book my trips on my Chase Sapphire card and when I cancelled the Harmony Easter '20 cruise due to medical issues, got reimbursed for both the cruise fare and the cancellation fees to my TA.  The air fare was provided by vouchers issued by United which I'm using for my January Allure cruise.

The only nuisance was the paperwork.